PDA

View Full Version : Martina N--Venus tanked?

1jackson2001
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Ok, before everything else, I wanna say that I'm not the one who is saying Martina implied that Venus tanked...I just found this from another messageboard (everything in between the asteriks is just copied and pasted and are not my comments):

Q. Serena, she won the Slam. Do you think the record of six consecutive Slams is in jeopardy? What would it take to break that mark?
MARTINA NAVRATILOVA: Everything that Serena has, which she had, which we had getting there, which is obviously great talent and ability and a bunch of luck. She came from match points down. You need all of that. You need luck to stay healthy, you need luck to not run into somebody that's playing the match of their life, and you need those tennis gods to be on your side. They were with her this tournament because she really could have lost three different matches, but she came through.
Yes, luck plays a role, but obviously amazing mental toughness and strength, and she's got all of that. She's got the ability. Now it's the French and Wimbledon, those are the next two. If anybody can do it, she can.
It would be hard -- it would be hard to imagine she could keep beating her sister. To me, that's almost the more amazing thing, that she beat Venus four times in a row. That's mind-boggling right there.

----------

Now why is that amazing? Because a player as good as Venus would NEVER lose to the same player 5 times in row, not to mention 4 straight slam finals.

More and more people are realizing the TANK theory isn't just a
theory!

^ that was the end of the message posted.

azinna
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:37 AM
This is a seriously weak post.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:45 AM
I read Martina's comments waiting for the bit that implied tanking. Went back and read it again. Absorbed the commentary tacked on afterwards. Scratched head, thought about it. Though some more. Scratched head with other hand. Scratched other bits in a hopeless search for inspiration.

Huh??

Come on, what a beat-up! This is absurd. Martina implied no such thing.

tennisfan1972
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:11 AM
I think Martina is just marveling in the fact that Serena accomplished such a thing with a tough champion as Venus being around. She is saying it in amazement. Punctuating the grandness of serena's accomplishments this past year. Im still earching for the implications of tanking myself. i will send u a postcard when i find the implication.

hingis-seles
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by jouissant
Scratched other bits in a hopeless search for inspiration.

That just doesn't sound right! ;):p

martinailuv
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:53 PM
that's idiotic. why would you deliberately lose grand slams when they are the most important tourneys to win?

BrianII
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:02 PM
There is nothing Implied here ....anyway Ican understand martina ,personally if at the end of 2001 anyone had told me serena would beat venus 4 times ina row i n slam finals I'd have begged them for some of the high grade stuff they must have been smoking.

MLF
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:13 PM
What a seriously deluded post.

Martina is basically just saying what a great player Venus is and that she finds it amazing that someone would have the ability to beat someone of her level so many times in a row. It's a compliment to both Venus & Serena's abilities.

Experimentee
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:18 PM
I agree with the replies so far. Theres absolutely nothing that suggested she thought Venus tanked, shes just complimenting Serena on beating such a great player in 4 finals.

treufreund
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:22 PM
OMG!

MARTINA IS THE GREATEST TENNIS PLAYER OF ALL TIME! She is COMPLIMENTING SERENA. Be happy. :rolleyes:

Volcana
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Sorry, Martina implied nothing about tanking. She's just very imprerssed with Venus, hence amazed at Serena.

Philbo
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Pathetic post by thread originator!

Jakeev
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Great posts my Martina.....I think she has a lot of respect for the sisters, much more than people realize.

LeonHart
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:29 PM
:mad: Jackson

TSequoia01
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:36 PM
This thread seems like a backdoor attempt to convey one's own thoughts on the matter. :fiery:

Shane54
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Jackson, I am still waiting for the "implied tanking". Martina was complimenting Venus! Damn, people will look for anything to bitch about. If she would have said "I am not surprised that Serena beat Venus 5 times in a row", a mob on this board would have been complaining b/c Martina said that "Venus is untalented"...Sometimes you just have to throw your hands up in the air on these boards and just give up...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1jackson2001
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:51 PM
WOW. Notice I said the views posted are NOT MINE. I absolutely do not think Venus tanked...AT ALL. I would never say something like that.

READ:------> I just found the post somewhere else and thought that it was interesting that someone would think that Martina was implying Venus tanked.

I, like all of you, think that Martina was complimenting Venus in a way...saying that she is such a great player and surprised that someone of her caliber would lose to Serena four times in a row.

Sheesh. People just love jumping to conclusions around here. :rolleyes:

theultimateone
Jan 27th, 2003, 02:19 AM
The idea the Martina is suggesting "tanking" by Venus is wishful thinking on the part of the post who suggested such.

However, it is not so AMAZING to me that Serena can beat Venus 4 times in a row. Venus' serve is her achilles heel and until she corrects this problem Serena will continue to defeat her. They are the two best players in the world, and right now Serena's serve puts her ahead of Venus. Why I am not amazed at Serena's continued success against Venus is because she practices with Venus all the time. Once Serena was able to overcome whatever was keeping her from beating Venus in the beginning, that hurdle is no longer there preventing her from winning these tournaments. Serena is no longer nervous against Venus, so it makes perfect sense that she is able to continue her dominance over Venus. This will continue until Venus gets her serve together.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 27th, 2003, 03:42 AM
lol she didnt imply anything like that! this is really dumb...

"Topaz"
Jan 27th, 2003, 04:21 AM
MARTINA NAVRATILOVA about Venus: "More and more people are realizing the TANK theory isn't just a theory!"Did she really say that? We have to confirm.

If she did, let's do some analysis.
- "More and more people are realizing ": that's the style used when a person wants to make a statement while hiding behind the multitude. What is meant here is: "I am realizing or I am joining those realizing that ..."
- Next section: "the TANK theory isn't just a theory". Meaning: "we're not dealing with a just theory here, but reality or something close to reality".

Therefore, to me, this is an accusation of tanking even though it is put obliquely. After praising, and being amazed by, both Serena and Venus, she didn't have to add that part.

Still, this sounds out of character for her. So I'm vividly questioning whether she really said it; people are misquoted all the time.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 27th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Hang on. Who made the statement: "The TANK theory isn't just a theory"?

My understanding was that this was NOT Martina Navratilova.

1jackson2001
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by jouissant
Hang on. Who made the statement: "The TANK theory isn't just a theory"?

My understanding was that this was NOT Martina Navratilova.

Yes, that part is NOT Martina's statement...just someone's comments on another message board regarding Martina's original quote (above the dash lines).

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Thank you, 1jackson. :) That was exactly what I thought, but it's nice to have it clear beyond any doubt.

"Topaz"
Jan 27th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks, 1jackson2001, for the clarification. Therefore, no issue.