PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesn't Andre...

Mikey
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:53 AM
...say anything about Steffi in his speech? Not that it really makes a big difference, but you would think that after all they've done separately as singles players, that he would have some comment about matching her Australian Open titles or about playing at Roland Garros. But he didn't say anything. I was thinking maybe Steffi asked him not to say anything because that would be the only thing that would stop him I presume. Even when someone shouted out, "What about Steffi," he made a joke about it and continued with what he wanted to say.

Not that it makes a difference either way, but I just found it curious.

CC
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:55 AM
I have noticed it before and as I said in the other thread, I think she asks him not to.

gladysharon
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Yah from Steffi's reactions, I think it's really possible that Steffi asked him not to. Also, Steffi is more of a private person...it seems even in the years of playing, she does not like to talk a lot about her private life.

Mikey
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:03 AM
that is what i figured. she seemed so nervous when schuttler started saying something about the french open. it was very strage IMO.

thanx guys :)

irma
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:04 AM
he never does that (and neither did steffi when she was still playing)

Aloysius
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Did anyone else see Steffi give Rainer Schuettler a standing ovation when he received his runner-up trophy? Good to know Steffi still supports her countrymen. I believe Rainer is the first German to reach a Grand Slam final since Steffi herself.

I also thought it was a huge mistake by Andre to talk about their private bets. Making his bet with Steffi public puts her under a lot of pressure to do something she may not feel comfortable doing. She won't be forced into it but you can bet some people will feel disappointed when the Agassi-Graf team doesn't materialize.

Mercury Rising
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:04 PM
My dad heard somewhere that Steffi didn't liked it at all that she has to make a comeback and that there was somewhat of a tension between the two.

azinna
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:09 PM
It's tough for Andre, because he's so used to having his business laid out over people's breakfast tables. He's done a great job of curtailing himself since 1999, but I guess a slip-up is expected now and then.

Hope Steffi can forgive him (she definitely shouldn't forget)

irma
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:06 PM
I don't think there is a serious tension. steffi makes comments about it to the press. she would not do that when she was serious mad;)

tinkerbell
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Tension between Steffi & Andre it really didn't look like it to me she seemed really happy & if she was that "mad" at him i don't think he would have mentioned it.

Martian KC
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:43 PM
He never does.:rolleyes: A loving husband he is!

treufreund
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:49 PM
I have noticed that too. It seems strange the kind and loving words that he has about Gil and Darren and yet Steffi is ignored. Steffi is still so stoic at times but I did notice how supportive she was of Rainer and it was funny how she just looked like "OMG" when he mentioned the mixed doubles at the French Open.

Btw, did you see that Rainer immediately sent a text message to his family as soon the match was over. Rainer had some chances in the match to win more games and the scoreline did not show that but I really became a fan of his and his modesty won him a lot of fans down under.

Spirit
Jan 27th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Andre doesn't mention Steffi per Steffi's own request. So reported Wertheim several months ago.

Sam L
Jan 27th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by treufreund
Btw, did you see that Rainer immediately sent a text message to his family as soon the match was over. Rainer had some chances in the match to win more games and the scoreline did not show that but I really became a fan of his and his modesty won him a lot of fans down under.

Yep, he has a great sense of humour too. Tennis wise, he lacks major weapons but then look at Lleyton Hewitt, I think Rainer can have a great career if he dedicates to his tennis :)

1jackson2001
Jan 27th, 2003, 12:16 AM
I realized it and wondered why too. But Steffi requesting for her not to be mentioned makes sense.