PDA

View Full Version : Navratilova greatest female all rounder EVER!!

MLF
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:56 AM
At 46 she won the Mixed Title with Leander Paes tonight making her the only person to have won the singles, doubles and mixed doubles titles at all the slams : Australian Open, French Open , Wimbledon and US Open. Absolutely amazing!

She was criticized by many for coming back, yet in 2003 she has a WTA tour doubles title already and now another GRAND SLAM title. Well done Martina :bounce:

Caz
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:11 AM
Words cannot express. A truly incredible achievement!

Zummi
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:19 AM
I am so happy right now. I never believed she could do it but Martina proved me wrong!

Just a small correction, Mlfan. She is the third person to complete this sweep after Doris Hart & Margaret Court before her.

MLF
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Oh thanks Zummi :o It is an amazing feat though. I didn't think her serve would hold up in a mixed draw but thankfully she proved me wrong. I'm greedy now. I want her and Kuznetsova to make a push for the year end championships now. I think Martina has already proved in 2003 she can cut it on the doubles court still.

Gallofa
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:23 AM
There truly are no words for what Martina is to tennis. She redefines the limits of excelence every time she steps on court.

Well done Martina. Superb performance. I am really happy for her.

[I think this is my new fav pic ;)]

MLF
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Great pic Gallofa. I know it means so much to her. People criticize her for still being on the tour even though she has many many interests beyond tennis. Those critics though aren't people with Slam titles though.

Philbo
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Cannot say how happy I am!!!

She is just such a great player to follow... Words cannot express!!!!! Oh god that 2nd set was nervebreaking!!!!

Zummi
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Gallofa, I love that photo! I cannot begin to imagine how happy Martina must feel.

The last three years have not been very kind to her but after all that effort, it has finally paid off. What a woman!

Havok
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:27 AM
simply AMAZING:)

Zummi
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Phil, I think I stopped breathing for the whole match. I hadn't felt like this since Wimbledon 1994!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so relieved it's over. Win or lose, I would have been glad it was over (though of course, I'm glad it ended this way ;))

Philbo
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Oh Zummi - Did you see the match?? It was soooo nerveracking, but dont you love the fact htat we can STILL get nervous about a Martina match?? Ive missed it so much since 94!!!

MLF
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Did you guys see the match? I was following the scoreboard. When it went from 40-15 to 40-30 with Martina serving for the title I was so nervous. I would love to see at least the final game. Appropriate Navratilova should be the one to serve it out. I bet she is sure glad she came over to Australia after so long. A title with Kuznetsova and a Slam title with Paes. The top doubles players would settle for that.

Zummi
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Phil, if I'd seen it on TV, I wouldn't have been able to survive it :)

No, I just followed it online. That was harrowing enough. Time does not matter - following a Martina match is always the same, isn't it? She doesn't spoil us with wins like she used to but when she does win, it's the sweetest feeling possible.

God, I think I'm starting to tear up again...

selesrules
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Congratulations to Navratilova!!! :eek:

-----> :eek:

disposablehero
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:41 AM
So that's what, nearly 29 years between her first Slam and last? I thought players were supposed to be way over the hill when they TURN 29.

Hurley
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Shocking and awesome.

Congrats Martina! What an accomplishment!

speedy
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Yeah, it is just amazing!
:worship: Martina, you are the greatest! :worship:

I felt a bit sorry for Eleni having so much trouble with her serve for the whole tournament but she still has many chances to claim some titles! Good luck next time, Eleni!

Martina and Leander are a great team and all the young players can learn from Martina how to honour your oponents (and partner) in a ceremony speech!

Would be great to see "Paetilova" win the Mixed Grand Slam in 2003 !
:bounce: :bounce: Come on, Martina ! :bounce: :bounce:

mn73
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:42 PM
And how amazing is it that in her early 20s Serena Williams is only two mixed titles away from equalling. Needs to get in touch with James Blake about Aussie and French Opens right away! :)

JonBcn
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:44 PM
I wish I could have seen this match, I couldnt sleep wanting to know the outcome, but was in a hotel so couldnt check! Great news to wake up to though...congrats Martina!

Sonja
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:52 PM
*salutes Martina* What an accomplishment!

steffilover
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:59 PM
martina's feat is amazing, it's true, but i do think people need to put things into perspective...the doubles game (and especially mixed) has never had, nor ever will have, the cachet, prestige and support of the singles game, amongst players AND fans...just check back to see how many times top men and women have played in mixed competitions at the slams, and remember that when you win in doubles, the honour is SHARED..you have a partner to rely on and who has contributed a great deal to your victory. for all her slam victories, we are not about to view pam shriver as one of the "all-time great " tennis players, are we?:rolleyes:

M2k
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:00 PM
uhhhhh Martina!!:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: You're such a wonderful player I love I love I love I love watching you :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Zummi
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Go Martina!

jayakris
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Pam Shriver has 57 grand slam titles?? ..

Jay

gmak
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:15 PM
martina :bounce: :bounce: :hearts: :hearts:

what a remarkable athlete.....she really is the greatest tennis player in history :notworthy: :notworthy:

Pamela Shriver
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Navratilova greatest female all rounder EVER!!

Wendy Turnbull will beg to differ.

Anyway I carried Martina in dubs