PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 Post OZ : Assessed

Volcana
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:33 AM
01 xxxx 13 S.Williams

She's got all four trophies

02 5370 15 V.Williams

The best match she's probably ever played against Serena.
With all that means.

03 3763 21 Clijsters

Came in tied for 3rd best in the world. Left third best.
A HISTORIC choke, but not as bad as last year's final.

04 3407 22 Henin-Hardenne

Most significant change from a seeding perspective. No more Williams in the QFs

The original mainframe vendors were IBM, Burroughs, Univac, NCR, Control Data, Honeywell, GE, and RCA, otherwise known as "IBM and the Seven Dwarfs." After GE and RCA's computer divisions were absorbed by Honeywell and Univac respectively, the mainframers were known as "IBM and the BUNCH." (Burroughs, Univac, NCR, Control Data, Honeywell)

This next group of players is 'The Bunch'.
Elite? Sure. About equal in ability? Yes.
As good as even Clijsters? No way.

05 2838 24 Hantuchova

When Indian Wells comes around,
her rankings probably WON'T drop much,
not more than one or two places.

06 2790 17 Capriati

Next time, skip the tour champs, have
surgery earlier

07 2729 15 Mauresmo

Hope she returns quickly.
And returns to form quickly.

08 2506 29 Dokic

Life's too short, kid.

09 2492 15 Seles

That's Rebound Ace. Sprain City.

10 2171 11 Lindsay Davenport

Can't be too happy with loss to Justine

Sometimes I think these four players should
form a singing group called 'the Wannabes'.
They're a threat to anyone. And no threat
to win a GS title.

11 2150 28 Anastasia Myskina
12 1965 16 Chanda Rubin
13 1787 25 Patty Schnyder
14 1669 25 Magdalena Maleeva

Props to thse two for BEING #15 and #16

15 1544 28 Silvia Farina Elia
16 1537 28 Anna Pistolesi

17 1442 24 Elena Bovina

No doubt top sixteen seed at RG.
This year's Hantuchova, if the
injury bug doesn't strike.

18 1386 10 Martina Hingis

This is sad

19 1379 27 Eleni Daniilidou

With Russian gymnasts,they call it 'wooden legs'
But welcome to the top twenty.

20 1374 25 Nathalie Dechy

Lost the showdown with Daniilidou

21 1327 25 Alexandra Stevenson

Wasted her first big opportunity of the year.

22 1316 26 Elena Dementieva

See Alexandra Stevenson

23 1301 22 Amanda Coetzer

The little Assassin still got it!

24 1259 32 Tatiana Panova

25 1191 24 Paola Suarez

HOt tip. A visit to the top 20 is coming for Paola,

-Sonic-
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:49 AM
awww poor tatiana with no comment :)

CJ07
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:54 AM
1. Serena Williams
Is Clearly #1
------------------
2. Venus Williams
Not quite their yet, but should be by Miami.
--------------------

3. Kim Clijsters
Has a huge chicken bone in her throat
------------------------

4. Justine Henin
Has finally impressed me, but still needed 9-7 in the third to beat Davenport

5. Daniela Hantuchova
Ok, so you beat who you're supposed to but how about some big wins? Where will you be post Indian Wells? Thats the Question.

6. Amelie Mauresmo
Cant wait till you get back

7. Jennifer Capriati
What Volcana said

8. Jelena Dokic
Get over it, and grow up.

9. Monica Seles
Why are you waiting to 2003 to get fit?

10. Lindsay Davenport
See Clijsters
-----------------------

11. Anastasia Myskina
Good for you, lived up to your seeding, but your supposed to have a second serve, not a powderpuff.

12. Chanda Rubin
Your sooo close Chanda, but you should've beaten Myskina.

13. Patty Schnyder
Good to see you back, held seeding

14. Maggie Maleeva
See Schnyder
-------------------------
15. Silvia Farina Elia
Glad you decided to start trying

16. Anna Pistolesi
See Farina Elia

17. Elena Bovina
The Top is waiting

18. Martina Hingis
What Volcana said
------------
19. Eleni Daniilidou
Are you for real?

20. Nathalie Dechy
Get back in shape, and the top 15 is waiting

21. Alexanda Stevenson
See Daniilidou

22. Elena Dementieva
Stop playing doubles and focus on your singles, Your supposed to be where Dokic is.

23. Amanda Coetzer
Keep on truckin'

24. Tatiana Panova
Good Start To The Year

25. Paola Suarez
Why didnt you go further?

Honorable Mentions:

Meghann Shaughnessy
Good to see you've gotten it together

Emilie Loit
Build on this

Klara Koukalova
You Bitch

Virginia Ruano-Pascual
A QF and F appearance on a non-clay court is impressive

Marlene Weigenthaler
Good effort

Blogger Dives
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Martina Hingis #18 ..... Damn it's been a very long time since I ever saw her ranking that low. Like 1995ish. :eek: Sadly she's just going to slip lower and lower until she decides to come back. Or is she waiting on that special "Injury ranking" to shock us all? Anyway, Come back soon Martina... I for one miss you!

YAY! Juju is #4 , I hope someday she's #1. She's impressive, and finally overcome that dreadful title of not being able to close out the big matches. She took care of Lindsay, even while cramping. And at the end we saw some bizarre pics of: Giant and Mini Me (but it was still cute & and I don't mean it in a negative way). ;)

http://www.justine-henin-hardenne.net/images/aus03_57.jpg

Hurley
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Boy she's little :hearts:

A pretty great analysis, Volcana...I think you're spot-on this time.

england_rules
Jan 26th, 2003, 03:42 AM
1. Serena Williams
Will she be stopped? It can't last forever can it?
---------------------------------------------------------------
2. Venus Williams
Not keen on being 2nd best-especially to little sis!
---------------------------------------------------------------
3. Kim Cijsters
Playing the best tennis of her career and was so close to beating Serena.

4. Justine Henin-Hardenne
Can beat anyone with her talent but lacks confidence!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Daniela Hantuchova
Does she have what it takes to be number 1? More Indian Wells performances will say yes!

6. Jennifer Capriati
Can she overcome eye surgery and a poor performance at Oz?

7. Amelie Mauresmo
Had it not of been for her injury she may right now me the "Williams Stopper."

8. Jelena Dokic
Stop acting like a baby and play the Oz Open! You might do good there!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Monica Seles
Nearing retirement but eager to win Wimbledon and complete the career slam.

10. Lindsay Davenport
Has all the shots but her negative mentality since her comeback has been her Achille's heel!

11. Anastasia Myskina
All-court player who has lots of talent. Will she gain the confidence too?

12. Chanda Rubin
Playing some great tennis lately and isn't afraid of the Williams sisters.

13. Patty Schnyder
Tricky lefty who is one of few people to defeat Serena last year.

14. Magdalena Maleeva
Veteran who is playing some decent tennis right now.

15. Silvia Farina Elia
She gets better ever year and should be looking forward to the clay season.

16. Anna Pistolesi
Although small, she is not intimidated by anyone. Didn't get the start of last year.
----------------------------------------------------------------
17. Elena Bovina
Will probably be in the top 10 at the end of the year. Forced Davenport to three sets two times!

18. Martina Hingis
Stupid ankle! :( Most talented player on tour right now! Does she have the dedication to come back?

19. Eleni Daniilidou
WOW! She puts the "big" in "big babe" tennis!

20. Nathalie Dechy
Very talented! Should get to top 15 this year.

21. Alexandra Stevenson
Her on court attitude will cost her. Has top 10 potential but probably won't fulfill it!

22. Elena Dementieva
What's wrong with her? The answer is inconsistency!

23. Amanda Coetzer
The best player in the 5'-5'5" range on the tour(excluding Henin-Hardenne)!

24. Tatiana Panova
Great start to the year but hasn't got the natural talent of Coetzer.

25. Paola Suarez
Her ranking is a very accurate view of how good she is. Can she climb?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Others:

Anna Kournikova
She finally got passed the first round of a grand slam again but got humiliated by Henin-Hardenne in the second round.

Barbara Schett
Terrible year last year but is quite good when she's on!

Meghan Shaughnessy
Definitely should be in the top 20!

Emilie Loit
Can she keep up the tennis of last week?

Spirit
Jan 26th, 2003, 03:46 AM
I believe Monica is about the same level a player as Kim Clijsters is right now. I'm not sure Monica would have beaten Serena at last year's Championship final, but looking at the way Kim plays, I believe that Monica can beat her most of the time right now. Justine, too, for that matter.

Monica had a good year last year, including a win over Venus when Venus was in good form. In the Championships, just two months ago, she beat Lindsay in a fantastic match and came close to beating Venus again. (And Kim got past Venus the next day because Venus was injured in her match with Monica; Kim really only had to play Serena.)

Monica didn't get a chance to show her stuff at this year's AO because she twisted her ankle, and even when her ankle was twisted and with 7 Tylenols in her, she still almost won that match. Don't sell Monica short just because she's flying under the radar at the moment; I think she's better than you give her credit for.

FWIW, I think Lindsay's a better overall player than Monica, certainly better than her current ranking, but I don't follow her career so I can't say much about it.

CJ07
Jan 26th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Monica has had her way with Clijsters
shes 3-0 (including a bagel)

and 4-1 against Justine (and if you ask me, Monica beat herself Justine just gave her some help)

evadafan
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:04 AM
I generally agree with most that has been posted except for a few things.

1) I think its hard to argue that Venus is far ahead of Clijsters right now. She definitely was up until the US Open last year, but after that they seem pretty much even. Clijsters has at least won a major title. Clijsters also beat Serena recently and should have in this tournament. Venus has lost her last 5 to Serena and although this one was close, Serena wasn't really in much danger of losing any of those matches. A Clijsters-Venus semi would have made this more clear.

2) I agree that Monica is floating right behind there, but I think Clijsters would be too tough for her right now. Davenport and Monica IMO are right there with Henin behind the big 3.

3) I agree that Jennifer should have gotten the surgery earlier--hopefully it works out for her by the clay season. But she's not out of it---remember she was the last person before Serena to win a slam!

CJ07
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Well we'll find out in Indian Wells about Monica-Clijsters :)

But i also think that Clijsters gets nervous when she plays Monica, or atleast the first time, because she was her idol (like everyone) when she was growing up

evadafan
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:19 AM
I thought Clijsters was a big Steffi fan?

CJ07
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:21 AM
maybe but I can name atleast 10 players off the top of my head that have said that they were so nervous playing monica as she was their idol

(Serena, Venus, Amelie, Eleni D., Maria Sharapova, Anna K, ok not 10 but you get my point)

joao
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:15 AM
We migth see a Clijsters-Venus finals in Antwerp ... in 3 weeks from now. So it will be settled once for all ... YES VENUS IS WAY BETTER THAN SERENA.

evadafan
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Oh I agree that's part of it mmcdonald, I was just wondering about Clijsters...I thought I had heard that about her.

And you can add Dokic, Hantuchova, and I think even Hingis to your list. Although Hingis sure didn't show many nerves a lot of those times (I'm still mad at her about that!)!

~|Naomi|~
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Kim idolised both Steffir graf and Monica Seles growing up, but more so Graf. But still both of them

Volcana
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Given how they both played OZ, it's hard to imagine Venus and Kim NOT meeting in the next tournament they both play. ANtwerp would be nice, especially given that radio thing in Belgium. More people will be paying attention to tennis.

CJ07
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:09 PM
I'm sure Venus would have to give Kim a good spanking

Blogger Dives
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by mmcdonald
I'm sure Venus would have to give Kim a good spanking

I don't know about that mmcdonald. Considering Kim ALMOST had Serena spanked in the finals, and Serena spanked Venus in the finals. I'd put my money on Kim to take care of Venus any day! ;)

CJ07
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:30 PM
since when is 6-4 in the third a spanking?

And Serena beat herself, or almost did

and the fact that she won 6 SIX straight games (thats a bagel) shows you something about Kim

Volcana
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:27 PM
I'd put my money on Kim to take care of Venus any day!

Hey Blogger Dives - Is the Stanford 2002 final a good day for you? How about the QFs in SanDiego 2002?

If those aren't any good, I have a bet to propose for Antwerp.

Should Venus and Kim meet in Antwerp, I bet Venus wins.

The stakes will be 1000 word essays.

If Venus wins, you write 1000 words on why Venus Williams is the definitive #2 player in the world, and why Kim isn't even close.

If Kim wins, I'LL write 1000 words on why Kim Clijsters is the definitive #2 player in the world, and why Venus isn't even close.

So, do we have a bet? I'll keep bumping the thread up so we don't forget.

TeeRexx
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Volcana - Blogger won't take that bet because:

1. In his tiny heart he knows VENUS will will Kim
2. You reminded him of the past whippings
3. He probably doesn't know 1000 words. :)

Blogger Dives
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Volcana - Blogger won't take that bet because:

1. In his tiny heart he knows VENUS will will Kim
2. You reminded him of the past whippings
3. He probably doesn't know 1000 words. :)

TeeRexx, get it right moron... I'm not a HE, I'm a SHE . Idiot, even I posted a pic in the "Pics of posters thread". I'm not even that much of a Kim fan, I like Justine more. But I still think if it's a final in Antwerp and both Venus and Kim make it, that Kim will win. Granted it's 3 tough sets. Venus wasn't playing at the top of her game at the Austrialian, and I don't think she will be by Antwerp either.
Secondly you think I don't know a 1000 words? HA Dumbass, how do you suppose I got into one of the top US Law schools without knowing? But I don't have to defend myself to you.
Damn you Williams' fans 'THINK' you own the world... Enjoy it while it lasts. Any of us who cheered for Hingis can tell you domination in anything doesn't last for long. Injury, someone better or a lightning bolt from God can change things at any minute... And arrogance sometimes needs to get it's head checked. :p

Volcana - I wouldn't write you a 1000 essay on Venus Williams if you put a gun to my head. The same for Serena. I dislike them both, I don't know enough about their game to compose a 10 word postive essay. Now if you wanted a negative one, I could give you that. Furthermore I would never admit Venus is a deserving #2 player in the world, because I don't feel she is. And they aren't worth my time to write some damn 1000 word essay about. :rolleyes:

Volcana
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Uh Blogger Dives, in the midst of responding to TeeRexx, you never said whether or not you'd take my bet.

Are you taking my bet?

Blogger Dives
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Volcana..... Go back and read where I edited it. I wouldn't if my life depended on it write a 1000 word positve essay on Venus Williams' or any other Williams' in that family!

Blogger Dives
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by joy
Damn you Williams fans? Last i saw- it was TeeRexx that responded to you- we're all alike.............ARGH!! Damn you white people..how does that sound??

Venus will whup that Ass:wavey:

It's all about race with you guys isn't it? If you look I posted for TeeRex and Volcana. I didn't say "Joy", did I? :rolleyes:

There is such thing as reverse racisim I hope you know. There are just as many blacks who dislike whites, as their are whites to dislike blacks. And it's not just a black/white issue.

Blogger Dives
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by joy
You fucking well said You Williams fans--- and i made that statement about "You White People" to make a point--i wasn't getting into a Black/White Debate :eek:

aahhh- that You White people offended you huh? so stop the You Williams fans- address who you are speaking to- its common practice around here
:rolleyes:

I'll try that next time. I thought I made it clear in the post which Williams fans I was referring too. I guess not.

How about you stop your racial remarks against White people? Reverse racism.... Yes it exists, and that was proof!

CJ07
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:37 PM
This is sad, why cant we just say that Kim Clijsters and Venus Williams are very good players that worked hard to get where they are and leave it at that?

Blogger Dives
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:39 PM
True mmcdonald, I'll agree with you on your last post. But I just feel, based on the Aussie Open that Kim could have beaten Venus in 3 sets, since she played so close to beating Serena. It all depends on if Venus changes by Antwerp, if not, I still will give the edge to Kim.

CJ07
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:44 PM
well personally I see what your point is, but also Serena made 60+ UE before 5-1

and an in-form Clijsters lost to an out-form Venus earlier this year, and and in-form Clijsters beaten a so-so Venus 6-4 on CLAY Venus' worst surface, so....

But anyway, why dont we wait untill Antwerp and we'll find out, for all we know they might both lose in the 2nd round

Jericho
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:52 PM
IMO, vee would've beaten kim cuz she probably wanted to finish what she should've done at the tour champs...you cant compare two players by linking a player they both played, otherwise you can say loit would've beaten venus as well, you just dont know...so im looking forward to a vee and kim match-up to finally settle the dispute over second best!!

Rolling-Thunder
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Unless I missed something, Serena beat both Venus and Clijsters in 3-sets. Both were close but as we are told time and time again, a win is a win. Close matches but still the win. I don't think you can draw anything from either match except maybe that an inform Kim still needs and out-of-form Serena throughout the entire match to win the match.

But still at the end of the day, Serena beat both. Almost is nothing but a whatacouldashoulda. Stop grasping for the thin air of almost...

:bounce: SERENA SLAM :bounce:

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Blogger Dives - Gutless cowards love to call names, but can't ever risk seeing their lies exposed. They have no faith in their words. They KNOW how false they are.

You don't believe Kim is as good as Venus, you just needed a non-Williams player to latch onto.

You don't have a belief. Beliefs take faith. You have none. And everyone knows it. Your own actions show it. You won't take even the narrowest risk, the smallest non-monetary bet, because you know you're wrong. All your words come back to one thing. You don't have the courage of your convictions.

You don't believe your own words enough to back them up.

I concede you know 1000 words.

TeeRexx was right about #1 though. You know Venus is better than Kim. That's why you won't bet. Bluster all you want, everyone knows who you REALLY believe is better. Anyone with the courage of their convictions would take that bet. Anyone who truly believed Kim was better would take that bet.

And every gutless coward in the world would run from that bet.

And then there's you.

You shot your mouth off.
You got called out.

Do you have the courage of your convictions? Or are you just another gutless wonder?

The rest of your words mean nothing now.

Courage or Coward, everybody's gonna know what you are.

But then I guess we all already do.

Blogger Dives
Jan 27th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Volcana.... Volcana.... Volcana... Kinda like a Volcano, good at spewing off at the mouth. :o

I don't take the bet, because Kim isn't one of my favorites. I just feel in Venus' current form Kim could take her out in 3 sets, wiseass. My favorite 'current' player is Justine, and I'll give you that at the Aussie, Venus was a better player than Justine. So I won't take your bet, because I don't like Venus, or Kim all that much really. :p

And I'm sorry, I don't have time to do your homework. Find someone else to do your 1000 word school essay on your sports hero! :rolleyes:

Jericho
Jan 27th, 2003, 05:16 AM
vee didnt even play a warm-up and she got to the final without dropping a set, she beat 2 top 10 players on the way, won the doubles title, extended the undisputed #1 tennis player to 3 sets...all i have to say is what a great start for vee and she didnt even play at a high level, can you imagine what she can do at one more level or two!!! Im so excited because i believe vee will do great this year winning at least 1 slam hopefully 2!!!

Volcana
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Blogger Dives - It still comes down to you don't believe your own words enough to back them up. WHether or not a player is favorite of yours is irrelevant. You aren't taking the bet because in both your heart and mind, you know you'll lose.

You shot off your mouth and you can't back it up. Case closed.

LucasArg
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Great post Volcana:wavey:

Bovina is not surprise for me. 2 years ago I knew she was one big player. Congrats to her. Nadia should join her this season. For me the best two russians.

Eleni is great news. She fought for it;)

Paola wants the top 20. She was very close in 01 where she reached the 22nd spot. This year has a lot of chances and I hope she can take them.

Amelie and Jelena are my favorite underdogs. They should win a Slam, but not this year i think.

VENUS sometimes:rolleyes: :p well YOU ARE THE BEST. I WANT YOU BACK.

Serena Congrats! You show them all what it takes to be a champion

;)

The Crow
Jan 27th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Where did this fight start all of a sudden?? :confused: Venus and Kim played pretty equal in Aus I think. They didn't meet however and were both beaten by Serena. The last time they played, Venus was hurt. So I think it's a 50-50 in their next meeting (well if it doesn't take to long before their next meeting). But Venus is number 2 with a wide margin... Still I can't see why you guys are so sure of themsleves who would win??

Blogger Dives
Jan 27th, 2003, 08:20 PM
The Crow, you know how certain posters are... I simply post I feel in Venus' current form Kim could defeat her and they get all hostile. Talk about your lack of having a life outside of a message board. :rolleyes:

Volcana, plain and simple I told you I'm not writing your little school report on your sports hero Venus, Okay? Understand that? Besides, I think they could tell the difference between someone in Graduate school and someone in grade school. ;)