PDA

View Full Version : Good news! Aussies supported Venus!

spokenword73
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:09 AM
The Aussie cheered Venus as the underdog.:D I never heard her get some much support from a crowd.

VS Fan
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Well, in my opinion, it is because two days earlier, Serena snatched victory from the jaws of defeat in her match with Kim.

They are totally pissed off at Serena.

Kim SHOULD have won that match and that makes it even worse.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:27 AM
robrich has it right, it's the underdog effect. Aussies love anyone whom they see as battling courageously against the odds. Just for once, that's how they saw Venus.

gladysharon
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Even for me as not a Williams fan at all, I would rather Venus win...
She tried to fight back when she's behind...that's a good fighting spirit.

harloo
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:57 AM
The only reason they were supporting Venus was because Serena beat "their Kimmy" from behind. If Kim or ANY other opponent was on the side of the net, they would boo Venus also. I'm so use to it because this is the standard in the WTA. They boo because they want to throw the sisters off their game. I don't know why they keep doing it, because it seems to never work.

tennisvideos
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:42 PM
As a spectator at the Aussie Open, I disagree with some of the comments on this thread....

Most of the people that I know who were supporting Venus was because she is percieved as the underdog and Serena is dominating the tour. It's that simple. I like both Serena and Venus, they are in my top 4 faves along with Monica and Hingis. So normally when these 4 play each other I will cheer for the one who hasn't had as much recent success as her opponent. So yesterday I was rooting for Venus coz she has lost so many times to Serena in succession and I wanted her to win another GS title. (I used to cheer Serena against Venus & Hingis earlier in her career for the same reason). I am sure most people felt this way - Venus being the underdog. Funny, but you might not have noticed that Serena had her share of fans too. They are both popular girls in Australia, they got a tremendous ovation when they played their doubles matches (I was at the match where they beat Martina) and also in the Final they got terrific support.

Sure, there may be some people (minority) who may have cheered against Serena coz she beat Kimmy, but I don't think there are that many petty people around in tennis crowds. They tend to be educated a little more than the average sports fan. Most crowds cheer on the underdog, and it doesn't seem to matter what country you are in (unless it's Davis Cup or the national hero / heroine playing).

Simple: Venus was the underdog, the crowd really got behind her. I see that as a positive thing. The crowd were urging her on. The crowd wasn't after Serena's blood coz she beat Kim. Maybe if the crowd comprised of 6 year olds who knew no better you could accuse them of that.... anyway, there you have it. From a spectator at the Aussie Open, who knows lots of other spectators and fans of tennis in Australia.

Jan 26th, 2003, 01:01 PM
The Australian crowds like Venus at the moment anyway because she gave her best wishes to the people affected by the bushfires...and the Elmo interview was just cute!