PDA

View Full Version : last orders?

tennischick
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:25 PM
a thread for adult imbibers only...

i'm having some friends over later to watch the men's finals and one of them is a vodka drinker. there are few brands to choose from at my supermarket. there's Absolut, Tanqueray, Smirnoff, and another brand called Kremlyovskaya. that's it.

which of these is the best?

any vodka lovers on board? help! tell me which to buy to serve to my friend. thanks! ;) ;)

Maajken
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:27 PM
i prefer smirnoff, but absolut is good too :D

toreador
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:27 PM
i would choose smirnoff ;)

tennischick
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:44 PM
anybody ever drink the Krem one?

is Smirnoff made in Russia or is the name just Russian-sounding for authenticity?

forgive my ignorance. ;)

toreador
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:45 PM
i have no idea :confused:

Barrie_Dude
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by tennischick
anybody ever drink the Krem one?

is Smirnoff made in Russia or is the name just Russian-sounding for authenticity?

forgive my ignorance. ;)

Actually, Smirnoff is owned by Seagrams and I think they make Vodka in Canada.

Martian Mel
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Smirnoff;) My favourite vodka is black vodka or the red vodka (puschkin):lick: :worship:

tennischick
Jan 25th, 2003, 11:20 PM
thanks!

PrincePascal
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:34 AM
smirnoff, definitely! you can do nothing wrong there!

angele87
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Smirnoff :lick:

Blogger Dives
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Absolut, Grey Goose, or Sky (in that order).... Smirnoff is just nasty. Horrible, don't ever buy the cheap stuff either "Popov's" or whatever it's called should be renamed to "We Promise You'll Get A Hangover with this Sh*t" :D

Master Lu
Jan 26th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Weeeell, if you really want to impress him, find him some Finlandia. :drool: :drool: :drool:
Not sure if it's sold in the States, though...

Master Lu
Jan 26th, 2003, 03:16 AM
Oh, and Smirnoff is not so much a brand, as a brand name. Companies buy the licence from the original owner (not exactly sure who), and voila - you have Smirnoff Vodka "Made in Canada", and you come to Croatia, and find Smirnoff Vodka "Made in Croatia".

brickhousesupporter
Jan 26th, 2003, 03:54 AM
I definitely suggest Grey Goose it is the best. You can also try Ketel One which is pretty good. Vodka is my drink, if you need any suggestions on drinks just ask.

THE NET
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:14 AM
What do you guys drink with your favourite Vodka? Lemon, Salt etc?

What about Absolut Mandrin? ....just pure ?

I am a new Vodka lover here!!

;)

SM
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:27 AM
I love smirnoff! My fave spirit :)

Nina_rus
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Smirnoff vodka used to be Russian before the Revolution, then that man left Russia (Smirnov's heir) and started producing it somewhere, it became popular and they sold the brand to some huge company (that owned a bunch of other brands). I think now it's produced all over the world.

:angel: don't drink it

Monica_Rules
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:54 AM
I can't even look at vodka now since i drank a whole bottle of it in like 3 hours and almost colapsed worst hang over ever!

Jan 26th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Smirnoff bought in Australia. This is from the label:
Bottled in Australia using premium grain vodka inported from the USA

NOthing Russian about that

schris
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Polish vodka is the best !!! But you have to know, don`t drink it too much ;)

tennischick
Jan 29th, 2003, 11:34 PM
:eek: i never knew vodka was such a complex topic!

Ok tonite i bought a bottle of the "Kremlyovskaya" vodka bec now i am curious. will keep ya posted...;) ;)

Blogger Dives
Jan 30th, 2003, 12:07 AM
My personal favorite drink is Jagermeister... However after once consuming so much of it in the summer, along with Bud Light, I was riding home with my friends the 4 lane looked more like it had 9 lanes, and I don't recall half of what I done after that.. I was really sick the next morning. But I still drink up whenever faced with Jager. ;)

MartianJoeyWinson
Jan 30th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Avoid Smirnoff, it is basically a brand name and you'll be buying it for the name rather than the spirit.

Absolut is a damn fine vodka providing you get it distilled from Sweden.

Anothe one which usually comes imported from Russia is Stolichnaya (or Stolly as it is known over here, slang term). That's probably the best one I have tried and I'm not that much of a spirits drinker so it must be good (well I can tell the diff between good vodka and bad vodka).

If you find Stolichnaya, get that, they'll enjoy it.

disposablehero
Jan 30th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Yes, I thought it was originally Smirnov, back ion Russia. Canadian Smirnoff is good, but get Silent Sam, if it is available to you.

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 30th, 2003, 02:39 AM
I can see that I'm a bit late to post in this thread since the party is clearly over. Don't get me wrong, Cognac is my all time favorite drink, but I have been known to lighten things up a bit with a sip of vodka. Therefore, I've gotta rep Grey Goose. I can't bare to drink any other type of vodka anymore. Everything else gives me a headache. I love Grey Goose because it goes down so smooth and silky. I drink mine with orange juice and a twist of lime garnished with a cherry and an orange slice. Ahhhh. I'm wanting a glass right now. I think I'll go get one. :wavey:

Mark43
Jan 30th, 2003, 03:25 AM
I think Grey Goose, while quite wonderful, is over priced and no better than the less expensive Stolichnaya. I used to only drink Ketel One or Grey Goose and then a somewhat snooty friend of mine said Stoli was just as good as all the premium vodkas but several dollars less expensive. Well, since I am a total alcohol snob (I live in South Beach...HELLO!) I decided to taste test the 3. Let's just say I only buy Stoli now and spend that extra 10 bucks on my new fave, aged rum.

My fave vodka drink is with tonic, on the rocks with a BIG twist of BOTH lemon and lime...yummy.

Oh my other new find of the past few years is a new tequilla to replace the way over priced Patron....it's called Traditional and it is 100 percent blue agave Resposado aged tequilla, just like Patron. The catch is, it is made by Jose Cuervo...but it comes in an unassuming 750 ml wine bottle and has a very un-Cuervo label. It retails for about 27 bucks, while Patron is about 50.

tennischick
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:44 AM
hey Mark, which "aged rums" do you like? there is a new rum from Jamaica called "Appleton VX" that is really, really good. too good in fact. it should be against the law for rum to be that good...:lick: :lick:

i'll try the Kremlyovskaya vodka this weekend. it's made in Russia and comes in an interesting bottle...;)

Mark43
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Hi tennischick!

Damn I just bought another bottle of aged rum yesterday. I always get Barbancourt, aged 8 years. It is from Haiti (Haiti!!) and sometimes I will put cinammon sticks in the bottle and let it sit for a while to flavor it (A trick I learned in the Caribbean). I will try Appleton VX next time. Do you like Planter's Punch or Mai Tai's? Since it has been cold here I have been making hot buttered rums with butterscotch schnaps, a few drops of baileys and 2 shots of rum. i heat it up on the stove and serve piping hot.

sartrista7
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Vodka :drool:

as Joey said Stoli is by far the best one to get (Grey Goose is nice, but not nicer than Stoli).

Polish vodkas are very underrated... try Zubrowka, it's mmmmmm.

Smirnoff is what I drink when I run out of money, and it's still not worth it :rolleyes: it's adequate if you're going to mix it though. Smirnoff on the rocks = blech, yuck.

MartianJoeyWinson
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Or you could go for Victoria Wine's own brand "Imperial Vodka"... which I have to say is good cos I work for them (but really I know it's bloody awful)

Gotta be Stoli!

MartianJoeyWinson
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Vodka to avoid - "Valkanov Charcoal Distilled Vodka"

Here's some news about it from www.bbc.co.uk/news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2290238.stm

The family of a woman who is fighting for her life after drinking contaminated vodka have spoken of their "nightmare".
The 33-year-old is in intensive care in a Manchester hospital with methanol poisoning after drinking the "potentially lethal" Valkonov vodka last week.

On Tuesday the victim's family said they could not describe the heartache of "not knowing if someone you love is going to live or die".

Officers have seized bottles of Valkonov across the region and are working alongside Trading Standards officials to investigate how traces of methanol got into the drink.

A spokesman for the victim's family said: "This so-called vodka is death in a bottle and we would urge anyone with information about this poison to contact police."

The woman, who has not been named, was rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary a week ago, after drinking the cheap vodka the previous weekend.

She had paid £6.50 for a litre bottle of the spirit, which is not a registered brand, at a convenience store near her home in the Gorton area of Manchester.

Police have renewed their warning about the drink amid fears it may still be on sale across the UK.

Detective Inspector Colin Webb said: "This vodka has already proved it is potentially lethal.

"We have one woman who has been in intensive care for a week and is still in a serious condition in hospital.

"I cannot stress how important it is for people not to drink this vodka."

It is "imperative" anyone with bottles of the vodka hands them in to police and does not dispose of the drink themselves, Mr Webb said.

Symptoms of methanol poisoning can be delayed for several hours and can include severe abdominal pain, drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision leading to blindness and even coma.

tennischick
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:20 PM
hey MarK!
you're a year older i see...;)

OK i've never tried Barbancourt. i'm mostly based in Trinidad when i come down to the Caribbean now and the Trini rum market doesn't allow in too many competitiors. i used to like the local rums fine enuf until Appleton came out with actually 2 aged rums. one is VX and i can't remember the name of the other. VX is the cheaper of the two and tastes good enuf for me! it's become my favorite rum. i'll let you know if i ever spring for the more expensive one and will also confirm the name. i'll check out Barbancourt when next i'm in the city.

Planter's Punch and Mai Tai's are aight but they're for beginner drinkers IMO. they're a nice way to get introduced to rum. i adore cuba libres. rum, coke, and a zing of lime. not a lemon twist but a nice lime wedgie. to die for. :lick: :lick:

i should change the name of this thread!

thanks for the info on that death vodka MJW!

Originally posted by Mark36
Hi tennischick!

Damn I just bought another bottle of aged rum yesterday. I always get Barbancourt, aged 8 years. It is from Haiti (Haiti!!) and sometimes I will put cinammon sticks in the bottle and let it sit for a while to flavor it (A trick I learned in the Caribbean). I will try Appleton VX next time. Do you like Planter's Punch or Mai Tai's? Since it has been cold here I have been making hot buttered rums with butterscotch schnaps, a few drops of baileys and 2 shots of rum. i heat it up on the stove and serve piping hot.

Mark43
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:35 PM
Hey tennischick!

Yeah maybe you should change the name to Vodka/Rum and the such.

What is a cuba libres? I live in Miami, aka Cuba II, so you would think I would know. I also love Mojito's. I put a ton of mint and crush it till the drink turns a lovely greenish!

tennischick
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:40 PM
cuba libre: rum, coke, and a twist of lime. that's it. simple but delish...:lick:

never tasted Mojito's. so you're a mixed drinks kinda guy. i like plain and simple drinks.

what goes into a Mojito?

crushed mint...yummmmm...:lick:

Mark43
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:15 PM
Mojito is light rum, tons of crushed lime, crushed fresh mint leaves, a little club soda and sugar...mixed over ice. It is really quite delish. It is the drink of Cuba and very popular in Miami. I was on a Mojito kick last year (it's a summer drink), but I am drinking more dark rum now for variety.

I shall try a Cuba libre...but I have to get caffeine free coke. Haha!!

Barrie_Dude
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by tennischick
cuba libre: rum, coke, and a twist of lime. that's it. simple but delish...:lick:

never tasted Mojito's. so you're a mixed drinks kinda guy. i like plain and simple drinks.

what goes into a Mojito?

crushed mint...yummmmm...:lick:

Have to go along with the Rum/Coke/Lime bit! I

JonBcn
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:22 PM
Mojitos are great.

For camp effect I can recommend Stolli/Bolli cocktails (also known as the Jill Dando - one shot goes straight to your head) of Stolichnaya vodka and champagne.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:28 PM
Don't much care for champane! Though I can see with the carbonization of champagne and the alcohol content of the Vodka it would br killer!

bluepastures
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:58 PM
I don't drink vodka normally, but I did have some liquor chocolates a while back with "Finlandia" vodka in, and they were very tasty!

Mark43
Jan 31st, 2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by JonBcn
Mojitos are great.

For camp effect I can recommend Stolli/Bolli cocktails (also known as the Jill Dando - one shot goes straight to your head) of Stolichnaya vodka and champagne.

JonBcn, that's so Pats-N-Eddie circa 1993! I love it. Who is Jill Dando? What is the full name of the Bolli champers? Maybe some day I will try it.

What were they drinking in the last season? Vueve Cliquet and Bourbon...vuerve & burb!

Mark43
Jan 31st, 2003, 06:14 PM
tennischick, I just went to Target for my monthly household shopping nightmare and I bought some Coke® (caffeine free of course). so I will try a coke--N-rum with a lime wedge tonight as my Friday night cocktail! yay!

Hey maybe we should all come up with a weekly cocktail and everyone has to make it and post their opinions!

MartianJoeyWinson
Jan 31st, 2003, 08:27 PM
That's an awful thing to call a drink!

Jill Dando read the news on the BBC and also presented TV programmes, she was shot dead on her front doorstep in the head by a psycho.

tennischick
Jan 31st, 2003, 09:43 PM
it's a sick joke i agree, but if you like that kind of humor, it is funny.

i like the cocktail idea so here's hoping that the sick joke doesn't result in a dead thread!

Mojitos sound like fun but i've already committed my weekend to vodka. OJ or cranberry juice? any suggestions?

Mark43
Jan 31st, 2003, 10:04 PM
try a nice tonic water with a wedge of lime and a wedge of lemon (squeezed, of course!). Simply yummy.

Mark43
Feb 1st, 2003, 03:54 AM
Okay, I had my first ever (aged) rum-N-coke® with lime and it rocked. Then me and my partner went out to sushi and I had to resort back to my old stand by...a stoli-N-tonic. I just didn't trust the restaurant to have caffeine free Coke®! Overall, a night of delish liquer-ish!

Master Lu
Feb 1st, 2003, 06:09 AM
Rum-N-Coke is the first alchoholic drink I ever tasted, and it's still one of my favorites. Come to think of it Rum is one of my favorites. I put it into everything. I mix it in milk and cookies in the morning, and stuff like that. *g* Deeeeelicious!

Mark43
Feb 7th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Okay what is the drink du jour for this weekend?

How about Tequilla...squeeze 3 limes (don't get carpal tunnel!), stir in a tablespoon of sugar (and let sit for a while so sugar dissolves), then 1 shot Grand Marnier and 2 shots premuim Tequilla. Mix and strain over ice and viola...a fabulous, and somewhat genuine, Margarita.

tennischick
Feb 8th, 2003, 01:22 AM
i have no tequilla...

i have no limes...

i have no grand marnier...

OK, guess i'll have to settle for a screwdriver again!! but i will try your recipe before the weekend's over!! ;) ;)

brickhousesupporter
Feb 8th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Tennischick you can try a french whore. It is a great drink for the ladies. It is vodka lime juice triple sec and Chambord( rasberry liquor) If you dont have limes you can try sour mix.

Mark43
Feb 9th, 2003, 04:11 PM
French whore...I love it! Shall that be the drink du jour for the coming week. The only thing is the Chambourd reminds me a bit of medicine.

Mark43
Feb 14th, 2003, 06:20 PM
What is the drink du jour for this Valentines Day weekend?

Since I have fresh mint I am probably making mojito's tonight before my VD dinner...I am going to spike them with red food coloring (a nice splash of liquid cancer!!!).

tennischick
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:16 AM
we had red wine, Chilean, the best...:lick: :lick:

still haven't tried the mojito's. i'm not too big on preparing drinks that require more than pouring things out of a bottle. of course if someone else wants to do all the mashing and grinding them i'm game for anything! ;) ;)

Mark43
Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:57 AM
What is the drink du jour for this weekend?

tennischick
Mar 17th, 2003, 01:37 AM
i finally discovered mojitos...and i love 'em!!!

thanks Mark 36! :kiss: