PDA

View Full Version : Serena vs Venus: My opinion

selesrules
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Serena is better at looking at Venus as an opponent, maybe it's because she's the younger one? You see Serena being angry, she wants every damn point out there, heck looking at her she wouldn't mind going to the other side of the net & punch Venus right in the face, if that's what it would take to win the match. It's as if she's able to completely forget who she's playing and wants to kick Venus' ass. Heck she even said "you fucking bitch" after Venus hit an ace.

However I feel that Venus isn't like this against Serena. Most of the time she seems to have a smile on her lips, it's like she's playing her sister, she can't simply look at Serena and be angry, or 100% intense. I think it's maybe because she's the older sister and she always has protected Serena. She doesn't have the attitude to go all out on her sister.

Anyways as a viewer that's what I notice.

harloo
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Well Venus is more reserved IMO. But the match yesterday proved to me that she saw Serena as a straight up competitor and the sister thing went out the door. She was determined to win this match, but Serena was just merciless out their last night. Venus wasn't giving up though, she was fighting it out. But I think more than anything Serena wanted the Serena slam and IMO nothing not even big sis would stop her.

1jackson2001
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:38 PM
I agree..kinda. If Venus goes all out and do whatever it takes to win, like she does against other opponents..she would have won that final. Also, it's a mental issue I think that does not allow her to perform at her best. She just plays very tentative against Serena.

Flappie
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:48 PM
thats just who venus is i guess, but i would like to see her more hungry to win when playing her sister.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I hate to say it but I think you're right. What clinched it for me was when she let that point go without playing it. Yes serena thought it was out but it was not called out and venus no matter what should have played the point unless the linesman or chair called it out.

I was thinking, "would she not play a point if lindsay or someone else did that?" no I dont think she would. that sucks. Who knows that one point could have changed the whole tie break!

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:52 PM
I agree with selesrules and jackson. Last night, I think that Venus had the best opportunity to win out of all the other finals that they've played in. At crucial moments in the match where Venus needed that killer instinct, you know the one that she comes out on court with against all the other girls on the tour, she couldn't muster it up from anywhere. I think that it's gonna take Venus much longer than it took Serena to become comfortable playing against her. That's why I think Venus should enter more tournaments that Serena does in order to get more used to playing against her in these finals. Only when Venus becomes totally comfortable out there, is when we'll see her best tennis against Serena, and only then will we see some amazing match ups between them.

Monica_Rules
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Yep i agree too i've thought it since Roland Garros.the reason Serena has won the past 4 slams is she really wanted to win them sister or no sister.

Venus was more oh well if i loose my sister will win.Not yesterday though she did want it she just had a horror day with her forehand!

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Oh, and another point that was critical and Venus was affected by Serena's presence was on that point in the 3rd set when Serena had returned one of Venus's shots and Vee was coming in to put it away, and Serena slipped, and Venus totally missed the shot. I think she saw Serena go down out of the corner of her eye and took her eyes off the ball. That would have been an easy winner since Serena would not have been in the picture to play it. After the point, Venus was clearly upset that she'd let that one get away.

jean_genie
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:00 PM
I agree with all the viewpoints posted and think that once Venus gets better at viewing Serena as someone to be beat down and not my little sister whom I've taken care of all her life, then she'll be more aggressive. But on the other hand, Serena is just a very aggressive person much moreso than Venus. Venus may never exhibit the kind of aggression we want her to but I'd be happy with just enough to win the match. Think about the aggression she mustered at the Championships in those last few games against Seles, that's what she needs against Serena. I hope she follows through with her vow to work on her serve and then dominates the rest of the year. GO VENUS!!:bounce:

Flappie
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Maybe this match will be kind of a wake up call for Venus, just when Serena had a wake up call when she like, number 10 of the world. She realized she had to work harder in order to be number 1, and thats what she did. So maybe Venus needs to do something now.

Venus Forever
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:18 PM
I totally agree with you Selesrules. If Venus thought of Serena as a competitor yesterday, there is no doubt in my mind that Venus would have won easily. The problem is, she doesn't think that way and Serena does. So of course Serena is gonna win.

CJ07
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Your all right

Venus will be back, but this definately shows progress

Uxobi
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:33 PM
I agree....just compare the other Venus matches vs the Williams/Wiliams final. Venus was totally dominant in her QF and SF matches. She played more aggressive "kick ass" tennis. Vs Serena, Venus just takes it easy. She plays "I always look out for Serena" tennis and ends up throwing the match. Venus plays a totally different game when playing someone other than Serena. On the court, Venus still sees Serena as a friend while Serena views Venus as a foe.

selesrules
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:41 PM
On the court, Venus still sees Serena as a friend while Serena views Venus as a foe.

Actually according to Serena's own words during the match, she sees Venus on the tennis court as a bitch. LOL

Venus has to learn to do the same, sometimes after Serena hits a great shot, you see Venus similing as if she's proud of her little sister. On the other hand if Venus is the one who does a great shot, you see Serena very upset. Venus has to learn to forget who she's playing and have that killer instinct against her little sister.

aussiefan83
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Venus is a completely different person to serena. you never see her get all fired up or yelling (although she does have a powerful grunt on her). Thats just the person she is, i dont think that part has anything to do with her playing her sister.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Dont expect any rivalry between these sisters.
I dont see Venus eager to prove that she's better as long as the one's better is her Sister. Blood is always thicker than water for Venus. It was clearly a Venus match to win yesterday and she gave it all up to her sister like a piece of cake. Yes she fought but not to the extent of defeating lil sis. I dont see any intensity like Venus always shows when she is fighting with others such as Lindsay or Kim. But who can blame Venus, she is a BIG sis.

spokenword73
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by QUEENLINDSAY
Dont expect any rivalry between these sisters.
I dont see Venus eager to prove that she's better as long as the one's better is her Sister. Blood is always thicker than water for Venus. It was clearly a Venus match to win yesterday and she gave it all up to her sister like a piece of cake. Yes she fought but not to the extent of defeating lil sis. I dont see any intensity like Venus always shows when she is fighting with others such as Lindsay or Kim. But who can blame Venus, she is a BIG sis.

thank you for this. i think you hit the nail on the head. venus herself said after the USO 2001, " i want Serena to have things, even if i don't have them myself" or something to that effect. it's more important for Venus to be a big sister than to win these matches against her sister. Will that ever change? How could it?
As for Serena, no matter how many slams she wins, she'll still be the little sister trying to catch up.

VS Fan
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:24 AM
While all of this may be partly true, that Venus just does not focus well when playing Serena, Why did she have a 5-1 record against Serena prior to NASDAQ 2002?? Was Serena just a very crappy player then??? Was Venus trying to give her matches back then and failing?? Serena was thought to have the goods to beat Venus at Wimbledon 2000, but didn't come close.

I take a slightly different view, that IT was Serena earlier who didn't have the heart to play her best game against Venus.

Don't get me wrong, Venus HAS the tools to beat Serena if she executes her game well, and it will probably happen this year.

Venus Forever
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by VS Fan
While all of this may be partly true, that Venus just does not focus well when playing Serena, Why did she have a 5-1 record against Serena prior to NASDAQ 2002?? Was Serena just a very crappy player then??? Was Venus trying to give her matches back then and failing?? Serena was thought to have the goods to beat Venus at Wimbledon 2000, but didn't come close.

I take a slightly different view, that IT was Serena earlier who didn't have the heart to play her best game against Venus.

Don't get me wrong, Venus HAS the tools to beat Serena if she executes her game well, and it will probably happen this year.

When Venus had the 5-1 record, they both didn't have the heart, Venus just seemed to pull them all out and play a little bit better than Serena. They both were distraught about playing each other, Venus just let Serena make the errors.

For example: Serena was playing at the #4 level [four being worse], and Venus was at the #3 level [bad]. Now it seems that Venus is still stuck on the #3 level of bad, and Serena moved to the #2 level of good. I don't think we will ever see the #1 level from both of being great against each other.

But, I believe it is very evident now that Serena doesn't care that she is playing Venus, and wants every title in every event. And Venus seems to be content with that.

Sorry about my "levels.";)

mishar
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Venus's forehand and second serve were shaky in her qf and sf matches -- it wasn't like she was playing impeccable tennis, she was still much better than justine or daniela. Clearly playing the #1 player made her a little nervous -- maybe that it's Serena also -- but I think a lot of you are in denial. Serena just is a better player. Venus can be a little more vicious on the backhand, and at net, and maybe on the first serve -- but Serena is not exactly weak in those departments. Whereas Serena has a huge advantage on the forehand, second serve and return.

harloo
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by mishar
Venus's forehand and second serve were shaky in her qf and sf matches -- it wasn't like she was playing impeccable tennis, she was still much better than justine or daniela. Clearly playing the #1 player made her a little nervous -- maybe that it's Serena also -- but I think a lot of you are in denial. Serena just is a better player. Venus can be a little more vicious on the backhand, and at net, and maybe on the first serve -- but Serena is not exactly weak in those departments. Whereas Serena has a huge advantage on the forehand, second serve and return.

Exactly mishar. IMO, it's just another excuse. When Venus was whipping Serena we didn't hear all this. Serena just is better at the moment. Venus will beat her eventually, but it hasn't happened yet. It's so easy to go back to the sister thing, because that's all you seem to have. Not a very good argument IMO.

1jackson2001
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Well honestly I think Venus really did try to win yesterday. BUT she did not dig deep in order to try to beat Serena. When losing or struggling against other opponent, Venus always digs deep into her reserves and fights for the win at every cost. She didn't do that with Serena.

Sure Serena maybe the better player if she played like last year she did at Wimby. But Serena this year doesn't look to be playing as well. She's been erractic at times and makes a lot of errors. Yesterday's final was like that. And Venus is definately good enough to capitalize on that..and should have won handily IMO. But playing against her sister again made her nervous and she wasn't thinking as clearly as she does against her other opponents. It's all psychological and we all know how much a part the mental aspect plays in tennis. As a result, she didn't come to net as often and sorta "backed off". Even in the post-match interview Venus had said she didnt' know why she didn't come to net more and coming to net had been her original plan. There were some short balls that Venus could have come to net that she didn't IMO.

Not to take anything away from Serena, but you can tell that Venus feels confident when playing against other players (even if she was losing at the moment). But not against Serena. The tension is so thick you can feel it. As a result, her serve and forehand breaks down :( ....and that doesn't work to well when facing Serena.

And yes, her serve and forehand failing at crucial moments didn't help either. :o