PDA

View Full Version : Another BORING final

JenCpLvr
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Granted the score was closer, but the outcome was still the same. Venus didn't play to her full potential and never does to little sis. I was hoping for a tighter match where both players fought for all they had.. The reason it went to three sets was because Serena made a lot of UE in the second set..

I am ready for someone else to play a Williams in the final because the intensity would be so much greater!

Anywho, congratulations to Serena.. She did work hard.

TeeRexx
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:30 PM
*yawn*

Mikey
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:30 PM
actually, this was the best match they've played for quite a while. and we all know that the two best players in the world made it to the final. anyone who disagrees is just plain stupid.

i wasnt happy w/ the outcome and i wished some of my favorites could have been there, but this was still a good one - i got nervous for venus and i was stunned at a lot of the shots.

why start another one of these ridiculous threads :rolleyes:

wongqks
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:32 PM
I think we can see that the sister is starting growing to become very competitive into their matches, maybe we are gonna see many classic matches yet to come

A great sign for Vee, althought she lost, (which I am a bit sad about) at least she can say she make it closer than any of the last tiem

Maxine
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Mikey
actually, this was the best match they've played for quite a while. and we all know that the two best players in the world made it to the final. anyone who disagrees is just plain stupid.

Well i think Kim came closer to Serena than Venus and maybe is the second best player right now.

DD
Jan 25th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Maxine

yeah and liot came close than venus so she is the number two now right.:rolleyes:

slydevil6142
Jan 25th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Serena played a whole lot better against venus from the very first point than against kim.

Maxine
Jan 25th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by DD
Maxine

yeah and liot came close than venus so she is the number two now right.:rolleyes:

Ok i realise i didn't explain that too well :o but i think right now Kim is playing better than or at least equal to Venus. I really wanted Venus to win today but her second serve was absolutely awful, she only got to 6-4 final set because somehow Serena made so many unforced errors on second serve returns.

Monica_Rules
Jan 25th, 2003, 04:22 PM
From what i have seen so far it was Ok I'm at 4-4 in first set i did see the last 4 games live and both were very nervous at that point.Venus looked physically scared toawrds the end.

I think a williams against another player would make a great final but williams Vs williams is just below par

Volcana
Jan 25th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Well, I admit the first round of the tournament was REALLY exciting. But you know, the first round of a GS on Rebound Ace is all about getting the pretenders out of there. Once you're down to the 64 players who can actually PLAY, you start seeing some things.

Well, that's not fair, you do get your odd Loit or two, but you notice she lost. The really good players win the surprise first round tilts. At least now that we have 32 seeds. Used to be possible for a seeded player to get a top 20 opponent in the first round. Not so much of an upset. But for a top ten player to lose in the first round now, they have to be horrendous. I mean, they're losing to player ranked #35 and worse!

Though still more interesting to watch than the two best players in the world of course.:)

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 25th, 2003, 05:26 PM
notice when serena stopped making errors in her third set semifinal, who won?

serena is the number one player.
venus is the number two player.

i see no changes until venus gets her act together or kim gets a backbone.

jean_genie
Jan 25th, 2003, 05:27 PM
that match was anything but boring. My heart is broken for Venus because I could see she was burning with desire and I wanted her to win SO badly, but she had some lapses and Serena took advantage. Plain and simple. Venus had chances and the scoreline should have been Venus d Serena 6-4 6-3. Maybe in that alternative universe that Xman was explaining to me. But, Vee will just have to work on that serve and get her at the French Open.

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 25th, 2003, 05:51 PM
This match was boring??????? Where were you!!! It was an awesome match, the best between those too!!!!!

steffilover
Jan 25th, 2003, 06:08 PM
this was DEFINITELY the best match between the sisters, both in terms of content and thrills....especially considering what was at stake. i had the whole thing on tape and still watched it in "real" time...no way was it boring....:rolleyes:

JCAP
Jan 25th, 2003, 06:51 PM
JENCAPLVR your right the Williams finals are always the same outcome and totally boaring!! But anyways congrats to serena AGAIN *YAWN*YAWN*YAWN*

Mr. Man
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Notice the only ones who think they are "Boring" are JenCap fans. :rolleyes:

It's not Venus and Serenas fault that Cappy sucks and couldn't get to the 2nd round and wasn't able to defend. :p

Williams Domination baby! Get used to It!!!!!!!! :bounce:

croat123
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:47 PM
this is the best match they've played yet

venus should have won, she outplayed serena but could not come through in the end - she didn't play her best

aisha
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Being knocked out the 1st round is boring!
The idea behind this thread is boring.

jrm
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:10 PM
the sad thing is now when serena wins the slams there is no pure joy or real happiness on her face ( i know it's because she is playing her sister but still i miss this scream, any kind of silly emotions)

Uxobi
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Go Venus and Serena! Continue to dominate the WTA.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:14 PM
I think that s because now having won four slams in a row, she is taking it for granted to win a grand slam.. so winning another slam isnt such a big deal for her that she has to express big joy on her face or react in such a joyful manner. think Steffi was like that when she was totally dominating. smiled but not looked so happy.

Flappie
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:32 PM
It was a bad match, it was ugly tennis...it was littered with unforced errors....just BORING! :rolleyes: If only they played up to their potential when playing each other, nobody would complain about anything.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:36 PM
I think Serena's domination will last at least another decade. well then we'll have realized that she is the greatest ever in the history of the sport.

aussiefan83
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Obviously some people were watching a completely different match!!!! because this wsa a great match! they played great, and showed their athletic ability as well as their great pace of shot. Great match girls.

HingisLove
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:57 PM
well the match had some unforced errors, but if you were truly in the match you could feel how much they both wanted it.

I almost cried when venus lost, could have something to do with the fact that I had then been up 23 hours. But seeing venus black beatiful eays looking sad was depressing.
The match was never boring, just the result!
However it was kinnda touching when Serena was lacking words, being so happy.
Oh well I stil think Venus will beat Serena this year, maybe in Miami

Robbie.
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:03 PM
the match was not boring.

Although the sisters Williams have never been my favourites, give credit where credit is due.

If it had been Martina or Jenn on the other side of the net, with Serena winning by the same scoreline we'd be calling this a "thrilling" match, lets face it. I mean three set Grandslam finals are a rarity, (consider this was only the second 3 set final at the Australian Open in the last 10 years) and seeing the tournament go down to one desperate set after all the hundreds of others played during the tournament always gets the pulse beating IMO. Of course I am a fan of tennis, principally.

The match was not boring, maybe not the best quality, but either was last years final, and no one would dare have called that boring. In fact after Martina and Jenn went into set 3 it was quite obvious who was going to win. The reult yesterday may have been predictable in the end. But going into set 3 I had some hope that Venus may actually pull it out - she had a break point in the first game if i remember correctly. Poor Venus :sad:

Yes, for non-williams fans, this is getting a little tiresome, and a little frustrating, seeing the sisters in every single GS final. However why take our anger out on the Williams' when it is our own favourites who are not good enough or do not have the balls to stop these match ups from happening. I will keep cheering on my faves and hope desperately they can turn around the current situation, but I will also recognise what a true phenomenon we are witnessing and not take away from it with petty jealousy.

ptkten
Jan 25th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Good post Rob, I agree entirely. Many of their matches may not be of the best quality, but this one certainly was dramatic and exciting. My eyes didn't leave the screen the entire time.

Too bad Venus couldn't pull this one out :(

"Topaz"
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:38 AM
I fully understand how any match can be boring to someone who doesn't like the players to begin with. So, nothing new here from the thread initiator. To me, the AO final was just superb.

JenCpLvr
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:44 AM
TennisPower- ***correction*** I, in fact, do like Venus.. If Jen gets knocked out, Venus is who I pull for next. I enjoy watching her because she is gracious and very determined while maintaining and sense of ladiness. Serena just seems to hard and flamboyant for me.. But that doesn't mean I don't recognize a good player.

But, of course if I am a "JenCpLvr", I must hate the Williams sisters, right?? lol.. Ignorance is sooo bliss.

tennischick
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:48 AM
sorry you didn't enjoy the match JenCapLvr. i honestly thought it was a terrific, exciting match. in fact i can't stop celebrating Ms. Flamboyance's win. go Serena!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce:

Blogger Dives
Jan 26th, 2003, 01:54 AM
I didn't watch the final, I can't tell you if it was boring or not. I just know any match is boring if you don't like either player... so therefore it would have been boring to me. So I just didn't watch. :)

Kart
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:00 AM
I've seen more boring finals ... like Oz open 1998 for instance.

This one was ok, even though I did fall asleep after two minutes and have to watch the repeat in the morning which was edited :(.

"Topaz"
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by JenCpLvr
TennisPower- ***correction*** I, in fact, do like Venus.. If Jen gets knocked out, Venus is who I pull for next. I enjoy watching her because she is gracious and very determined while maintaining and sense of ladiness. Serena just seems to hard and flamboyant for me.. But that doesn't mean I don't recognize a good player. Oh, excuse my ignorance! So, Venus is your overall #2, and absent Jencap, she's your #1. Now, are you to tell me that you were bored when your "become #1 fave" was fighting tooth and nail to prevail in a match extented to three sets? :confused:
With fans like you, who needs detractors?

Kart
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:21 AM
What can I say VivalaSeles :hearts: - on Friday nights I am a :devil:.

I'm paying for it now though - insominac tonight LOL.

lizchris
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:28 AM
If you want a boring final, you should look at the men's final that is going on right now.

CC
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Indeed. Are Rainer's shorts too short? Or is it me?