PDA

View Full Version : Look at the positives: Good quality match/Venus overcoming her mental blocks

swade
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Firstly, the best theing about the final is that the Williams sisters are slowly making a mockery over those who said that they would never play good quality, competetive matches against each other.

Yesterday wasn't quite a classic (though at times it came close), but some of the shotmaking was phenomenal.And it also made a mockery of anyone who suggested their matches were fixed, because they both fought tooth and nail to win the thing.

Even though she lost, I believe Venus has now overcome the "block" she had when playing against Serena, and now wants to beat her badly.When she sorts out the flaws in her game (the second serve for instance), I believe that she'll be well capable of beating Serena in finals and that they will contest closely fought classics for many years to come.

Even though it's sad Venus lost, yesterday struck a blow against critics who said they would never play good matches.Whatever else the critics have to complain about them being the no. 1 and 2, I doubt they'll be able to use that one for much longer.

Legends
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:08 PM
I agree with you swade,
Venus has also stopped saying stuff to the effect that the tournament is coming to the same house, which is really what i have been waiting for.
so game on.

Venus now has a target - to surpass Serena in terms of achievement, she will need to win a 'same year' grand slam, which means starting again from next year, or multiple 'Venus Slams'.
in the meantime I give her until wimbledon to sort (at least one of ) her obvious weaknesses out ( be it weak second serve, erratic forehand or mental fragility)

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:11 PM
I thought Venus played well in the 1st and 2nd sets and definitely had a chance to win it, since she was serving for the first set, and would have won if she'd held serve. She's showed that shes not happy to lose to Serena any more and will fight every match out.

Janet
Jan 25th, 2003, 05:05 PM
I also think venus did a great job very high competive on the court as Mel Washington was saying he can see why these are the best 2 players on the women side, did you guys see the rallys they have on the baseline that was increiable stuff from 2 women, as some one said on previous thread the williams sisters shut-up the cretics they feel with high feelings,but we know in the end only can be 1 winner and that person is serena, and I know venus will have trouble tring to beat serena because in fact serena i just DAM good!! venu too but she will need 1 more game plan on lil sister, but I'm proud of these 2 girls everything stays in the same family.............they are wonderful to watch and all the best to Venus & serena for the rest of the year!!!!

wongqks
Jan 25th, 2003, 05:08 PM
so cool to see them play a competitive match, hopeing it will be like that all the time, and no one can complain about boringness

jean_genie
Jan 25th, 2003, 06:40 PM
I think Venus did a great job in not letting Serena get into a rhythm and it looked like that might have been her game plan. Not to give her too much pace but the downside of that was the pressure of not double faulting led to the ice cream second serve which Serena pounced on most times. I wonder what happened to Venus' second serve which used to be one of the best in the game and now it's her biggest liability.

You can tell now that she wants to beat Serena and is almost totally over that hump of feeling sorry for her and taking care of her ON THE COURT when she should leave those emotions for off court. I'm cranky and crabby because Venus lost but I'm hopeful because I know she can beat Serena and now I think she does too.

Hey Wongqks, how do I play FWTT??