PDA

View Full Version : What does Venus have to do?

JustinSteffi
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Is it just me or does it seem that Venus' game is regressing? I don't remember her 2nd serve ever being such a liability. I don't understand how a player who has been playing tennis for like 15 years can repeatedly miss simple shots.

Somebody please teach Venus how to hit a second serve and a forehand!

Serena made a ton of errors in this match...... AND STILL WON!

JJH

Infiniti2001
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:16 AM
I really hope she isn't discouraged, because she had a wonderful run even without a warmup tourney.
She did great at the net. She just needs to just work on that second serve,and work on her UEs.

anton
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:52 AM
she *must* cut her errors. Serena hit 2 winners to win her last service game. Venus hit 4 errors to lose her last service game. At least make Serena hit the ball and dont give her Christmas gift.

tennisIlove09
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:53 AM
she has to want it more. A part of Venus wanted Serena to have it more then she wanted it for herself.

Evidence was serving for set in #1, and late stages of set 3

calabar
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Is it just me or does it seem that Venus' game is regressing?

It is YOU.

Have you checked the rankings lately? While it is true that she trails Serena by about 1600 points, it is equally true that she is ahead of her nearest rival by about the same margin. So what about Clijsters' and Henin's game. How are they doing? Venus will be fine. I'm glad of the way responded about any thoughts of changing her coaching regimen.

I really think the most pressing issue for the WTA is to find some competition for the Williams Sisters.

HingisLove
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:49 PM
1 Use her fighting spirit against ALL players including Serena
2 Second serve
3 Forhand

something she's great at and should do more is approching the net, her volley is such a beauty!
I love the way she uses her wrists and skillfullness to put aways shots. :kiss:

oggie
Jan 25th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Venus began yesterday's final with a forehand error and finished the match with a forehand error, and I think it is all mental. Venus just needs to get more confidence when playing Serena, go more for her shots and make less tenative, silly errors. For a long time, I thought that Venus' problem was that she didn't want enough to win and that she was loosing her inensity - remember how she used to grind her teeth and grunt when she was playing for her first Grand Slam title. But today the intenisty and the will to win were definetely there but her game crumbled under pressure. I have also never seen Venus be so negative during a match. With every loss to Serena it gets harder for her to defeat her sister, but her attitude after the match seemed positive.