PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Hingis will come back to the WTA? And when?

Blogger Dives
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Do you think Martina Hingis will ever come back to the WTA and play again? If so, when? If not, what do you think she'll do with her free time?

Personally I don't see her coming back. She's been given the OK by her doctors and isn't making any moves towards even praticing to come back.
I think she'll do nothing for the next 2 or 3 years, then possibly turn to commentating or coaching/training young players. I'm hoping she becomes a TV commentator, she'd be more interesting to listen to than anyone currently doing it. :o

RAA
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:55 PM
I don't think she wants to come back and be *just* in the top 10. And based on the quality of players in the top 5 right now.. it'll be hard to crack that upper echelon.

maybe she'll come back to play doubles??
maybe she'll do some exhibitions?

its hard for me to believe that just one year ago she was in the finals of the oz open.. and then the next week won a tier 1, and now ...

good lesson to enjoy the moment because you never know what the future will bring..

Helen Lawson
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:18 PM
If she does not think she can be a real contender for the Slams anymore, I think she is gone. Does she think this? I guess that is what she is mulling over at the moment. She has all but said being a Top 10 fixture is not up to her standards. Frankly, I think that is the best she can hope for. People can shit all over her about the second serve, going to the net, whatever, but even if she fixes all this stuff, she to me will be no better resultswise than Justine is now. I do not think that is good enough for her. If her ankles and feet are not 100%, which they do not seem to be, then her movement is off and then she really has no hopes. If what you read in the papers is accurate (a large assumption) she is starting to say really strange things that players say before they retire. She said something to the effect of watching the Australian Open but enjoying not having the pressure of competition, or something like that. That is very scary. That is what someone says when they are ready to retire. Lindsay never said stuff like that she was doing pool workouts and diet routines and all to be ready to go. The girl has been a full time player for what, 8 years. I do not think she will come back.

barmaid
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:20 PM
No clear answer here at this point in time....I voted "Yes" for purely selfish reasons......because I want her back..but and thats a big BUT..only if she can play pain free :confused: So here's hoping she can get that ankle 100% healthly!!:) We miss you Marti:hearts: :kiss:

barmaid:wavey:

Maxine
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:23 PM
I think Martina will be back - she is too talented not too, also i just really want her too:)

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:24 PM
I hope she does. I question her love for tennis, though...

matthias
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:32 PM
i think NO

CJ07
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:33 PM
As much as it pains me, Elena Dementieva ended Martina Hingis' career.

Shes not going to play only to be a Top10, not even Top 5 player.

Shes going to be number 1, or close to it, if not shes not coming back. Also i think shes enjoying life outside tennis.....but i wouldnt be suprised if she made a go at it in a year or two.

Bezz
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:46 PM
It would be great if she comes back. I am thinking she will make a return around wimbledon time. She is too young to retire, i think its a good idea for her to take time off now and o walking and riding cos she has played tennis for many years. I do think if she is not back within 2 years then she wont come back at all :-(. People can criticise martina's game all they want but a confident , in-form martina can beat any player out there.

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:51 PM
I think she's signed up for Miami, so that's a good sign.

It's hard to say though. I want her to comeback, cause I think she's still one of the most gifted players around. However, I don't want her to comeback if she won't be top 15. She's too good to be any lower.

o0O0o
Jan 25th, 2003, 12:33 AM
She's bulldozed every top five player in the game right now, and given her usual Aussie form and the current standard of matches at the OZ Open, we'd most likely be seeing a Hingis/Williams final tonight. So I don't buy that she can't return to the top. As long as she plays like she was before the second ankle surgery she can beat anyone.

However, she hasn't worked hard since that surgery, and since October she's barely been on the tennis court. The women's game is more physical every day and Hingis is not a physical player at all. So until she gets out there and works on her speed and lifts weights I don't expect her back.

Now, is Martina the type of girl to work hard at fitness? No. Therefore I think her comeback chances are slim. Personally I'd like to see her come back in doubles for a few months, rack up a couple titles, and then play singles when she gets fitter and more confident.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Given martinas track record at the aussie its hard to bet agains a finals appearance if she'd played. However jen won it twice back to back and look what happened to her. Nothing is certain in tennis.

Yet success came to early and to easy for martina. Yes she had to work hard and deserved all her grand slams but now that the pressure is on and the other girls have gotten better is she willing to pull a martina nav and transform herself and her game? Only time will tell. If the competive spirit is there and the hunger for that french open title whets her appetite then I suspect well see her in a year or two.

auntie janie
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I am undecided. If Martina wants a quiet, private life, why appear in the news riding a bobsled, talking with the press? Does she then want the celebrity life, but not the tennis? Maybe that is how she feels at this moment. But she could change her mind at any time in the next weeks, months, or even years, and stage a comeback.

Vincent
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:06 AM
She will be back:mad:
she will be back:mad:
DON"T TELL ME SHE WON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

england_rules
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:28 AM
I think she'll play in Miami and make a decision from that!

MartianJoeyWinson
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:30 AM
I want her to come back and be my heroine again.

Consistency
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Martina can always come back playing competitive tennis in 1-2 years, but my gut feeling is no.

shirley
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:47 AM
I hope that Martina comes back. But will the passion and drive still be there?

Beat
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:41 PM
it pains me to say this, but no, i don't believe she'll return. she was on swiss tv recently, where they did this report about what she's doing right now, and she said that she really enjoyed watching the australian open on tv, but that she didn't miss the whole tennis circus at all. i went :eek: . if she doesn't miss it, i don't think she'll return. and: she seemed really happy.

irma
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:49 PM
I said a long time ago that she wont come back if she doesnt think she can play well enough to match the top players. She once said she likes to play to win Grand Slams, not be the quarterfinalist or whatever. I dont think she believes in herself enough and doesnt think she can win Grand Slams again, so the motivations not there. She may make a comeback, but if she isnt happy with the way shes playing she might then quit for good.

CC
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:24 PM
I hope she will come back. Maybe she will be a little encouraged after hearing Venus' comment. It would be exciting if she gave it another shot.