PDA

View Full Version : Serena's new NIKE contract

RAA
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:17 PM
I just heard that Serena just signed with Nike for a huge contract... I knew this was in the works but didn't know whether it had been announced..
can anyone confirm?? details??

MarcusRock
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Yeah they mentioned it on SportsCenter this morning that she's about to sign a 5 year-$50 million deal. I didn't see anything further.

supremeross
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:22 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Holy cow, I hope Nike puts a good ad campaign out there like Reebok did for Venus. I can't wait to see.:bounce: :bounce:

Rocketta
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:23 PM
awww poo!

RAA
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by MarcusRock
Yeah they mentioned it on SportsCenter this morning that she's about to sign a 5 year-$50 million deal. I didn't see anything further.

Thanks, that is what my husband said, but I wasn't sure he had it right, because there is nothing on ESPN or CNNSI about it..
anyway, I guess an official press release will be coming soon. I assume its the biggest contract ever for a female athlete - topping Venus' which had previously held that mark...

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:27 PM
That is great news!
Now VENUS will have to get a $70 mill deal. :)

griffin
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Nike? Seems like an odd fit to me. ( you have to figure she'd be able to get a monster of a deal out of anybody)

Could be interesting with that meshy stuff they do, though :D

Sonja
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Maybe she will inspire them to create better clothes and get rid of the friggin tablecloth material of last year. So far I am NOT impressed with this year's clothing choices, either.

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Griff - Nike always has the biggest athletes and the biggest deals.

usatennis1
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:39 PM
This amazing seeing how the big shoe compaines were supposed to cut back on these big deals.

Congratualtions to Serena!!!!!!! :bounce: :wavey: :)

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Nike sucks.

I pray Serena gets her own line because the nike tennis line is so so bad its scary. Not only do the players where the same outfit but they look cheap and out of date.

Serena demand your won line!

griffin
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:40 PM
T, they didn't get Venus ;)

I don't have a problem with Nike (I love their stuff on Momo for the most part). She's a unique person with a very individualized sense of fashion, and I just think she'd stand out a little more with Puma.

YSL
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Heh, imagine Serena in a pink dress like Mary Pierce.. ;)

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Grif - Nike, unwisely, did not go after VENUS as a 12 year old and when that contract was out, they were so deep up Tiger's butt that they neglected to sign her and she remained loyal to them after her 2000 run.

Sonja
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Oh griff, first no more shorts, then the Bert & Ernie shirt, then that awful peach number with the glaring red splotch on it, and finally, on to the tablecloth?!!!

Please PLEASE reconsider. We just got lucky with Amelie's (white/blue/light blue) design this year.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:47 PM
I can't believe puma would let serena go. they are crazy. she was their most famous athlete.

frenchvee
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by cybelledarkholmexx
I can't believe puma would let serena go. they are crazy. she was their most famous athlete.

it's all about money i was reading an article in the new york times magazine about shoes company and Puma said they want a niche in the market 1% would be good for them they said, the want to be a trendy brand. They surely did not have the money.
I really liked Puma and Serena, they were making a lovely couple, bold and beautiful.

By the way, i hope it shuts the trap of some poster and some media people who thinks that just because they do not like the sisters, everyone feels the same.

Company like avon, wrigley, mcdonald, wrigley and nike do a bunch of research before signings endorsers for their product.

griffin
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Sonja - they put her in shorts in the first place. Furthermore:

pj's. 'nuff said ;)

They could all play in flour sacks in the end, but whover Serena signs/signed with, I am curious to find out what the numbers are.

BK4ever
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:11 PM
I can't imagine that Serena would agree to sign with Nike and then wear what everyone else is wearing. I'm sure she negotiated her own line. No way in hell is Serena going to be satisfied with wearing what everyone else is wearing.

That tablecloth, shower curtain design thing Nike got going is UGGGGGLY... Even their current red look, looks 50's ish ...pfff

RAA
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Yes, NIKE is the biggest player in the biz. doesn't surprise me that Serena went with them (and that they went with her..) I'm sure that Puma would have liked to have kept her, but probably couldn't even stay in the ballpark in terms of $$ that Nike was offering.

Griffin, I'm thinking that Serena MUST have negotiated SOMETHING about being able to wear Nike togs of a different design or something she has more input on. No way she is going to be seen in the same Nike outfits that all the other NIke girls are wearing... dontcha think?

RAA
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by BK4ever
I can't imagine that Serena would agree to sign with Nike and then wear what everyone else is wearing. I'm sure she negotiated her own line. No way in hell is Serena going to be satisfied with wearing what everyone else is wearing.

great minds think alike! :D

BK4ever
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:15 PM
RAA :wavey:

griffin
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by RAA

Griffin, I'm thinking that Serena MUST have negotiated SOMETHING about being able to wear Nike togs of a different design or something she has more input on. No way she is going to be seen in the same Nike outfits that all the other NIke girls are wearing... dontcha think?

Of course, but it'll still be Nike. But with Puma she was the jewel in the crown, now she's part of a collection. That make any sense?

griffin
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by melanielively
How many sweatshops on Indonesia make a Nike shoe?

If you think any of the others are better, you may be in for a rude awakening.

tennisfan1972
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Well i hope they hurry and sign her so Venus can start winning grand slams again.....its been a whole year <wink>

Sonja
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by griffin
Sonja - they put her in shorts in the first place. Furthermore:

pj's. 'nuff said ;)

pffffttt, they giveth then taketh away, isn't that enough reason to be skeptical? ;) :p

griffin
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:44 PM
You're right. They should take it all away.

(that Armani stuff would be a bit binding to wear on court anyway)

anton
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Nike has all ugly clothes and shoes. Serena im shocked!

Blogger Dives
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:31 PM
I'm shocked she went with Nike, but expected this move out of Nike. They want everyone who's at the top of their sport. I'm shocked they never went after Martina Hingis before she signed with Adidas?

But I think the fact Serena signed with Nike is one simple old saying: "Money talks, and bull sh*t walks". She wasn't going to stay with Puma if they weren't willing to shell out the big $$$.

Now if only Justine would get a deal with someone other than a company who's clothes you can't even find. She was formerly with Adidas, what happened to that?

tennischick
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by cybelledarkholmexx

of course they made sure to squeeze their money's worth out of her before letting her go! i can't think of another player that Puma exploited as much for as little. at least this time she can say "show me the $$".

i think Serena just wanted to get a bigger deal than Venus. and she did!! sibling rivalry rulz!!!! ;) ;)

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:59 PM
About having her own line ---> Doesn't Daniela Hantuchova have her own already and she's not even that big? I meant with the pink skirt and white mid-riff top. Or is that because other Nike women won't fit in that outfit? :o

ASV
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:00 PM
I dont think this is true. She's still wearing her Puma stuff, and just created a whole new design (Hopman clothes, in alternating orange and white and the new sequined strap, ugly belt design for Melbourne). Had she been negotiating, she wouldn't have made a new design only to be abandoned a few weeks later. Also, she would have put some sort of patch over the Puma labels.

fleemkeģ
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Sam L
About having her own line ---> Doesn't Daniela Hantuchova have her own already and she's not even that big? I meant with the pink skirt and white mid-riff top. Or is that because other Nike women won't fit in that outfit? :o

I think I saw somebody with the same outfit ...

*JR*
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by melanielively
How many sweatshops on Indonesia make a Nike shoe? FINALLY, SOMEONE WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT "ORDINARY PEOPLE"!

Uxobi
Jan 25th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Serena was recently named the most marketable female athlete. Venus was #3 and Anna #4. Serena will more than likely ink a terrific deal. She just may be holding out on PUMA for bigger bucks!!