PDA

View Full Version : Venus Will Be Victorious in Australian Open Final

Bonnard
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:58 PM
By Richard Pagliaro, Tennis Week Writer
Special to WTAFANS.COM

Serena Williams relishes her role as the best player on the planet, but at the moment she isn't playing the best tennis in the Williams household.

The stage is set for the seasonís first Grand Slam final at the Australian Open and the star of the show is hoping the championship climax follows a familiar script. Top-seeded Serena swept the final three Slams of the 2002 season, beating big sister Venus in straight sets in each final.

The Williams sisters are set for their fourth consecutive Grand Slam showdown as their paths cross to create a compelling plot line as they each try to lay claim to their first Australian Open title.

Shoved aside from the Slam spotlight since she claimed consecutive Grand Slam crowns at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open two years ago, Venus is playing like a diva determined to upstage the recent dominance of her sister.

"It's my nature to play an aggressive game, that's how I was taught to play the game, because really the people that are winning are playing aggressive and making something happen on the court," Venus said. "At times I'm always so ready to move forward and play a forceful shot that I do rush. So whenever I do slow down, I'm able to play well and consistently. You know, that's really my main goal, is to stay within myself and not get ahead of myself."

full story http://www.wtafans.com/columnists/columnist002_special.html

Volcana
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Venus will win because any other outcome will leave me a nervous wreck!