PDA

View Full Version : Clisjsters may quit in three years says father

Serendy Willick
Jan 24th, 2003, 04:54 PM
BRUSSELS, Jan 24 (Reuters) - The hectic schedule of women's tennis could prompt Belgian number one Kim Clijsters to hang up her racket aged just 22, her father was reported as saying on Friday.

"Now she's coming to Belgium to play in Antwerp but then she has to pack her bags and hurry to America. Scottsdale, Indian Wells - it doesn't stop," Leo Clijsters told Belgian media.

"In three years' time she will very likely call it quits," he said. Kim, who earned $1.8 million last year, would be financially independent by then, he added.

The 19-year-old, who lost to Serena Williams in Thursday's Australian Open semi-final, made her professional debut in 1997 and is the girlfriend of men's world number one Lleyton Hewitt.

Leo, who acts as Clijsters' manager, said his daughter was under pressure in the sporting limelight. "She doesn't need all this attention," he said.

All I've got to say is this guy had better not be serious:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

griffin
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Parents should be seen and not heard.

fleemke³
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Lei did say 2005 (I think) ... that's in 2 years ... Kim also said sometimes that she won't play long

2ace2
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:14 PM
I think he's a bit too controlling. He kinda comments a lot on Kim's life I think.

Mrs. Peel
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Would he be saying the same thing if she made it into the finals?

Brαm
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:28 PM
That's got nothing to do with it, Peel! He's made those comments on several occasions already...

I kinda have a problem with this: "Kim will quit tennis when she's financially independant"
and then the Clijsters are always saying: "Kim & Elke play for fun, not for the money"

:rolleyes:

Then why would she quit tennis as soon as she's got enough money for the rest of her life? Doesn't she love tennis oh so much then? Quite contradictory comments, I think!
I'd rather hear some comments from Kim herself, not from Lei.

Oh and btw, it's C-l-i-j-s-t-e-r-s!!

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:31 PM
this is just like when richard said venus was retiring. Ignore the parents and focus on the players. You never see the parents of the male players in their childs business this much.

irma
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:45 PM
yes mrs peel

as Bram said he says this very often and kimmy herself does too.

she wants children;)

Pinkie
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Lei tends to make bold statements that sometimes end up haunting Kim. I think he forgets that if he casually mentions something in one interview, it first gets taken over by all of the Belgian press and then hits the international wires. I don't think Kim will have a very long career, especially if she stays with Lleyton. Between the constant traveling, the physical demands of top tennis, the Kim mania in Belgium and the camera crews camped out in front of Lleyton's house just to get a glimpse of the two, I doubt this is an existence anyone would enjoy for a long time. But her dad's statements are just going are create more questions for Kim, ones that she can't answer right now anyway. Who knows what is going to happen in the future.

tfannis
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by bram_born84
That's got nothing to do with it, Peel! He's made those comments on several occasions already...

I kinda have a problem with this: "Kim will quit tennis when she's financially independant"
and then the Clijsters are always saying: "Kim & Elke play for fun, not for the money"

Then why would she quit tennis as soon as she's got enough money for the rest of her life? Doesn't she love tennis oh so much then? Quite contradictory comments, I think!
I'd rather hear some comments from Kim herself, not from Lei.

Oh and btw, it's C-l-i-j-s-t-e-r-s!!

so true...listen to Kim...not to daddy Leo...and fleem...Kim said she would become a mother early...but never said she would retire in two years...she said in an interview this week she might play some mixed doubles with Lleyton when their careers go downhill...that would mean when they're beyond their primetime...which would mean beyond the age of 22

Lei says she doesn't need all that attention..well...if you ask me...that's exactly the reason why he's saying such things...so people wouldn't admire Kim so much and wouldn't give her so much attention.

Hawk
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:10 PM
I remember reading an interview that Kim did a couple of months ago where she said she would probably play for 5 more years. I still tend to think she might keep going..but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

fleemke³
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by tfannis
so true...listen to Kim...not to daddy Leo...and fleem...Kim said she would become a mother early...but never said she would retire in two years...she said in an interview this week she might play some mixed doubles with Lleyton when their careers go downhill...that would mean when they're beyond their primetime...which would mean beyond the age of 22

Lei says she doesn't need all that attention..well...if you ask me...that's exactly the reason why he's saying such things...so people wouldn't admire Kim so much and wouldn't give her so much attention.

Kim said, in the interview i heard, that she is suffering from painfull bones (alles kraakt) when she gets up every morning and that she won't have a long career ... how long she didn't say and neither did I. I said that her father said she probably would stop in 2005 ....

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Damn! The players want to be like VENUS & SERENA and
now the daddies want to be like Richard. :eek: :)

tfannis
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by fleemke²
Kim said, in the interview i heard, that she is suffering from painfull bones (alles kraakt) when she gets up every morning and that she won't have a long career ... how long she didn't say and neither did I. I said that her father said she probably would stop in 2005 ....
Yeah...I read that interview too...but that doesn't confirm what Lei says...not having a long career doesn't mean she stops when she's 22....I think we shoud let Kim do the talking :)

supremeross
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Well if she quits, she quits, no one tells Kim to go and play in 23-25 tournaments a year. Look at Serena and Venus, Serena has only played in 13 tournaments in the past 52 weeks and Venus in only 15. Say it with me Kim (and Jelena) quality not QUANTITY of tournaments is the key here.

mishar
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Why is Kim playing so many tournaments if she's hurting? She could skip Scottsdale.

persond
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Damn! The players want to be like VENUS & SERENA and
now the daddies want to be like Richard. :eek: :)

:D :D Too, too funny, Mr. Bones....just too funny!!!:hearts: :hearts:

tenn_ace
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:25 PM
and what will she do? being retired at age 22 is no fun... boring.

RAA
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:29 PM
hmmm interesting.
well, possibly the glare of the spotlight, plus Kim's love of children, plus what sounds like a chronic condition may chase her out of the game early.
but I wish that parents would just say something like " my son/daughter will make that decision on her own when they feel the time is right" or some other such thing..

poor Kim, once you say retirement, the press is on you about it for a while (remember how they kept asking Venus about that?) her dad should just keep quiet.

Sonja
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Well I hope he's wrong; I quite enjoy watching her play. I hope she'll play as long as she's enjoying it and staying healthy.

YSL
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:44 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Until then, I hope she enjoys playing her tennis as much as I enjoy watching her play :)

Ma. Estefania
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by 2ace2
I think he's a bit too controlling. He kinda comments a lot on Kim's life I think.

I agree.:o

Anyway....I don't think it's true. I'll only believe it when something official appears.

Elke
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Belgians: buy HUMO, there's a looong interview with Lei on Kim (and Lleyton). He stated it there also.

Mrs. Peel
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:15 PM
I was just asking a question! No need to get in a snip! CTFD!

tennisfan1972
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Right after Richard said Venus was retring what does she do? go and win 2 slams that year! Richard is too funny though, I think parents say these things to protect their daughters. The whole purpose of richard saying venus was retiring, imo, was so that the media would not focus so much on her so that she could practice and work out her game. the one thing about serena and venus is that while they are dominating , and everybody hates their matches or whatever. U never know exactly when they are going to retire, so it leave the players and bitter fans with a glimmer of hope. For all we knwop Vensu and serena may play for 10 more yars and break all the records. but im sure they will never make it public that they plan to do so. That way there isnt so much of a backlash while they play. everybody sorta bides their time and waits for the girls to retire. meanwhile Venus and serena meet in 12 consecutive grand slam finals. great strategy. I doubt kim is retiring anytime soon without a slam title. Maybe after she wins French Open and AUS Open. I think she will get at least 3 or 4.

Tatiana Panova
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:55 PM
He's just a concerned parent who has seen his daughter rapidly change over the past few years.

Maybe he was referring to the scheduling and tyring to instigate a change. I seriously do not think that Kim will though.

To me it is such a shame that tennis players and the public think that post-25 is in the dying stages of a career. People don't reach maximum physical strength until 25 for women and up to 30 in men, and what about experience and mental toughness? You can still be a fantastic tennis player at 30 and beyond (see Agassi).

minboy
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:07 AM
it seem like Lei is stating that 'kim will quit tennis soon' every years!!!
about 2 years ago, he already said that kim would stop tennis in 2 years!

Jan 25th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 2ace2

If you think he's controlling, you obviously havn't read the whole interview. He just wants Kim to be happy. When Kim was injured, she was talking about retiring and having kids. Not sure if this is still her plan in 3 years time, but it must be pretty horrible to wake up with sore ankles every morning. Lei just doesn't want to put any pressure on Kim

great smash
Jan 25th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Don't take notice of what he's saying.

Midway through 2001, he said he expected Hewitt to quit tennis once he would have won a grand slam :rolleyes:

Aloysius
Jan 25th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Didn't Kim say she was reducing her schedule this year? The reason being because Lleyton is reducing his schedule?

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Aloysius
Didn't Kim say she was reducing her schedule this year? The reason being because Lleyton is reducing his schedule?

Why should she reduce her schedule just because Lleyton does? She should do whats best for her. I'm sure if she does reduce ehr schedule it wont be because of him. Instead of retiring if they think the tour is too long then she should just play less tournaments.

katelijn
Jan 28th, 2003, 10:16 AM
two years ago kims father said the same thing and that she would have a baby in her arms. well that didn't happen. Kim's father is worried about his daughter. kim said in a interview that when she is in belguim she always gets restless after a few days and wants to leave and play tennis. I think she will play until she is 26 or 27 just like anke huber did. it all depends on her health

THE NET
Jan 28th, 2003, 11:17 AM
This is such a good news. Tennis will be fine without her. She makes women tennis boring.

:D

tfannis
Jan 28th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by THE NET
This is such a good news. Tennis will be fine without her. She makes women tennis boring.

:D

It's getting really hard for you huh The Net now Kim is a top three player :angel:

treufreund
Jan 28th, 2003, 12:10 PM
WHEN WILL THE TENNIS WORLD UNDERSTAND THAT THE SEASON IS NOT TOO LONG! THE SEASON HAS WAY TOO MANY HARD COURT TOURNAMENTS! HUMAN BODIES ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR THAT KIND OF POUNDING! (sorry about all caps but I hate this hardcourt tennis. It is destroying so many players bodies at young ages. Kim, Martina, Amelie, Lindsay, Monica, Anna, Steffi and even the Williams have had a lot of injuries. Almost ALWAYS on some sort of HARD COURT!) It's just a cheap way of maintaining tennis courts but the game is more taxing on the body and the tennis is less exciting on hard courts because you can win so easily from the baseline. Clay and grass require more variety and strategy and are nicer to your joints.)

RAA
Jan 28th, 2003, 01:15 PM
another viewpoint that I read somewhere is that although most of the top players want a shortened season, most of the rest of the tour are looking for more events. Of course, since the lower ranked players don't go so deep into tourneys, they are looking for more opportunities to play, and to make a living. Its the top players that go very deep tournament after tournament who are the ones that really suffer from the length of the season.

I don't know what the answer is.. but it sure seems like the 'off-season' is way too short.

tennis_guy
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:28 PM
kinda shocked when i see this,
is this for real?.... :eek:

Infiniti2001
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Get off the innocent trip I _luv_tennis oops tennis_guy

Dava
Aug 19th, 2003, 08:04 PM
why has this thread been bumped?