PDA

View Full Version : What is your country's attitude to Iraq?

Halardfan
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:43 PM
In relation of course, to the imminent conflict in Iraq...how is public opinion, political opinion shaping up...lets try not to make this into another slagging match...much as I like sticking the bbot into GW lets refrain for once...just give an account of the mood of your nation...

Britain is in a really awkward psoition over the Iraq issue caught as so often between the rest of Europe and the US...public opinion is generally anti-war, but not yet passionately so...I think the public are fickle...if things are seen to go well, then they will swing behind it...if not, then there could be trouble...

I don't think people realise how much of a risk all this is for Blair...again if the war is seen to go well, he can come out of it OK...but if not...it may soon be over for him. A majority of his OWN MP's are fierecely against a war...Blair more than anyone needs a second resolution from the UN, otherwise he will be in the extraordinary position of relying on Conservative party support, and having his own party turn on him...vote against his position, plot to remove him.

Its the first time you can put together a realistic scenario where his own party might get rid of Blair...and one where I think its a good idea!

What about elsewhere, the US, Europe, the middle East? What are the feelings there?

The New York Post has dubbed Germany and France "The Axis of Weasel" over this affair, which suggests relation between the US right and the continent are not at their best. :D

My impression is that such a view is confined only to the hard right-wing in America, isolationists at heart, who have at lot more than just Iraq in their sights...

Kiwi_Boy
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:59 PM
New Zealand is more than happy yo act once the UN makes its report,however it is hesitant to get involved any sooner than that and without UN blessing.
I totaly support the stands of China Russia Germany and France.
Don't act unless it's absolutely 100% necesary and lawful,proven, and decided by the UN-which is why it's there.

matthias
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Germany is against WAR - :D

this time we are the goods ;)

carot
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Knowing our politicians we will probably be against it but provide the weapons to the US. :)

E. Blackadder
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate :rolleyes:

RayDay
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Well we all know what "Johnny Howard" thinks of Iraq:rolleyes:

In australia some of the public want war, other's do not want war.

personally I do not want a war with Iraq.

This Iraq issue is only possible because of Dubya's faliures as a businessman

And that's the muthafuckin truth:(

Mitzi
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:39 PM
I live in Israel. Should I say more? :rolleyes:

Lord Chips
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by karenrac
I live in Israel. Should I say more? :rolleyes: Not really

Car Key Boi
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by RayDay

This Iraq issue is only possible because of Dubya's faliures as a businessman

And that's the muthafuckin truth:(

are yuo refering to the Bush family's personal business interests in Oil companies being a factor in the decision to bomb?

because it's a mis-conception

war would actually be BAD for the Bush oil portfolio

in Midland, Texas thousands of oil wells are currently capped because the cost of getting the oil out of the ground is more then the what it could sell at the pumps for

Iraqi oil is just under the surface and to get it all you need to do is stick a broomstick in the ground.

a war in Iraq, with the oil that is sure to flow afterwards, is the LAST thing the big American oil companies want to see. How can they possibly compete with oil that cheap?

still, this FACT won't stop the antiwar crowd chants go on about it and damn the obvious troof of the matter

- Car Key Boi

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:53 PM
In the US, George Bush and i think most Republicans want war while the Democrats are fighting it...i think we're launching some attacks now?? Iunno, i dun watch much news. btw..where's CHOCO?

Helen Lawson
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:56 PM
I think the raging liberal celebrity factor has skewed what others think Democrats or many Americans are or are not against. Most Democrats and even Republicans I know are not in favor of war but realize it is something that is unavoidable and inevitable.

RayDay
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Car Key Boi
are yuo refering to the Bush family's personal business interests in Oil companies being a factor in the decision to bomb?

Yes

I could be wrong, but I think that there's more to it than meets the eye. Why would Bush shift all of his attention from catching Osama to invading Iraq?

Car Key Boi
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:59 PM
oil is the reason RayDay, for sure

but Bush's personal oil interests have nothing to do with it for the reasons i have just outlined. If that moron was acting out of self-interest he would be opposing war, not encouraging it

check out this page of mine, it might shock yuo if yuo haven't read it before

http://carkeyboi.com/iraq.htm

Central
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:00 PM
In Spain, the situation is, let's say peculiar.
We have our dear president JM Aznar and his ministers, who are supporting everything Bush is going to do, no matter what the UN says. But, we, the people, we are against war, no matter what the UN says, too. In some recent polls, more than the 66% of the population is against it, and the rest of the people are the ones without an opinion, or supporting the attack (they might be about 15-20%)

JonBcn
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Hello! You're a convenient scapegoat. We'll have your oil, please, and the weapons we gave you in the '80s.

disposablehero
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:32 PM
My country's position on Iraq fluctuates depending on the humidity, cloud cover, who won the hockey game last night, and on what the Prime Minister had for breakfast.

RayDay
Jan 25th, 2003, 12:19 AM

check out this page of mine, it might shock yuo if yuo haven't read it before

http://carkeyboi.com/iraq.htm

That article did raise some good points and ur right about one thing CKB, it did shock me.

Eric_tennis
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:36 AM
but Bush's personal oil interests have nothing to do with it for the reasons i have just outlined.

:eek:
I think it's sooo obvious. Major oil companies(most US, UK,.etc) don't have oil well in Texas only... They have much more oil well all over the world than in US,... and now want some more in Iraq.
They wouldn't mind closing all the oil well in Texas as long as they get big money elsewhere.

I saw an animation movie several days ago, grave of firefly,... and there was a scene which made me shuddered at it. A boy and little girl were trying to find a safe place from an aerial strike in that scene. When they saw the sky right above them,... there were a lot of bombs over there and they are falling just down there. Wow,... I've seen sooo many war movies,... but I've never seen this kind of shocking scene. I had never imagined that kind of picture,.. how does it look like.

I hope no one will ever have experience like that,....

Peace for all mankind.
:D

disposablehero
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Why would the oil companies want more oil? To drive the price down so they can make less money? No, this is most likely about Dubya wanting a legacy and just a bit of a revenge motive. If Dubya was to get smart, he would say that current findings are not enough to require Saddam's ouster, but to insist on continued weapons inspections over the long term. Most people would have a hard time feeling sympathy for Saddam against those kind of demands.

Car Key Boi
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Eric_tennis
:eek:
I think it's sooo obvious. Major oil companies(most US, UK,.etc) don't have oil well in Texas only... They have much more oil well all over the world than in US,... and now want some more in Iraq.
They wouldn't mind closing all the oil well in Texas as long as they get big money elsewhere.

I saw an animation movie several days ago, grave of firefly,... and there was a scene which made me shuddered at it. A boy and little girl were trying to find a safe place from an aerial strike in that scene. When they saw the sky right above them,... there were a lot of bombs over there and they are falling just down there. Wow,... I've seen sooo many war movies,... but I've never seen this kind of shocking scene. I had never imagined that kind of picture,.. how does it look like.

I hope no one will ever have experience like that,....

Peace for all mankind.
:D

http://carkeyboi.com/yuo5.gif