PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of players' last minute withdrawal

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Capriti n Kournikova's last mintue withdrawal weakened the already-not-so-strong field of toray n more importantly will hurt the ppl who have been working hard to make the event successful n the fans who have paid damn a lot of money for the tickets.. I think some players are just moody n depending on their mood change their minds even if that may hurt the event badly. guess they should think twice before acting childish. I know in some cases, they have no choice but to withdraw as the reason is legitimate (not just in paper, truely legitimate like the injury is obviously serious)
Can WTA find those players for withdrawing too late like ATP does?

VS Fan
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure if they can "find" them, but perhaps they may be able to "fine" them if they do not have a good reason for withdrawing.

Volcana
Jan 24th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Capriati wasn't ready for OZ, but she came. So her withdrawal form TPP, at best, would have been ten days ago. She have hoped she'd get in enough training.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:19 PM
i think that's her excuse

RAA
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Well, part of the reason for late withdrawals is that players withdraw because they are hurt/injured. Obviously, its not always possible three weeks away from a tourney to know whether your ankle/leg/eyes whatever will have healed enough.

I actually think they are somewhat obligated to wait to close to tournament time to make a decision about a health-related withdrawal.. unless of course its some calamity like a broken leg that they would know far ahead of time. probably jen wanted to keep her options open to see if she felt ready to play. so she had to wait until about this time to decide.

I agree its frutstrating, but injuries and their healing processes are quite unpredictable.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Gold Exempt players don't get fined but its taken out of their bonus pool monies at end of year.

CapFan#1
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:56 PM
What a stupid, un-informed thread to start. Get the facts before you start shit. Cap withdrew on doctor's order to not strain her eyes any further as they are still healing from SURGERY!

Anna withdrew with a lower back strain, a bad injury for tennis. (see www.tennisweek.com) for the report.

Do your homework before you spout off! Both of these players would much rather be playing and earning rankings points than skipping a tourny.

goshka
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:20 PM
IF you were invited to the party, and you got cold, would you wait and see if you can get better, and make your decision few days before?
As for Jennifer - she gave her reason for withdraw - conditions of her eyes are not permiting her to play 100%, and this was confirmed by her doctor. What else do you want?

By the way - if you are sick, you should visit doctor :) And please get better soon.

Cheers,
Eugene

mn73
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Who knows if they WERE last minute withdrawals. Perhaps they told the tournament a week ago? If you were a tournament trying to sell tickets would you announce that Anna Kournikova and your top seed Jennifer Capriati had withdrawn a week before the event???

A last minute withdrawal to me is one that is done after the draw has been made. Otherwise, who knows if the tournament or the player are holding the news back.

Helen Lawson
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:46 PM
You also have to realize that at least when I get tickets you know going in that some of the people you are expecting to see may not end up being there. It is the facts of tennis tournaments that people get hurt, tired, or just do not want to play. It is the risk of buying tickets.

Havok
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:17 PM
well Jen didnt wanna be humiliated and lose 1st round again. LMAO

selesfan1
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:07 PM
People say I'm going to wait to see if I get better but people deep down inside know if they will be ready or not. So it pisse me off that ppl do stuff like this. Especially Anna don't be surprised if she's going to play an exhibition somewhere. You know she's been known to do that.

Car Key Boi
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:36 PM
haven't had time to read the thread, but when yuo say yuo're sick of the players' last minute withdrawal, are yuo refering to sex??

- Car Key Boi :confused:

ajayares
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by selesfan1
Anna don't be surprised if she's going to play an exhibition somewhere. You know she's been known to do that.

Yeah of course, it happens all the time doesn't it :rolleyes:
She aren't one to fake injuries.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Car Key Boi
haven't had time to read the thread, but when yuo say yuo're sick of the players' last minute withdrawal, are yuo refering to sex??

- Car Key Boi :confused:

very insightful:D :wavey: :bounce: