PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo - Capriati, Kournikova withdraw

JonBcn
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Apologies if this has been posted already; its news to me though.

According to the (crap) website, Capriati and Kournikova will not play in Tokyo. No reasons given.

http://www.toray-ppo.co.jp/pc/english/profile/

ajayares
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Oh fucking great, what's wrong with her now?? Anna I am refering too.
There goes her ranking now, into the 50's :sad:

ChrisGermany
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:36 AM
That is what I expected. Maybe Jenn still fights with her eye surgery.

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:36 AM
can anyone confirm? this is so sad! Anna losing dubs points, and this would be a great way for Jen to confidence back!

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:47 AM
It's a disaster for Anna. She had a great result in Tokyo last year. wtf is going on?

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:52 AM
I expected Jennifer would not playing the tournament... I've no idea why Anna withdrew :confused:

ChrisGermany
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:03 PM
I said that about Jenn 1 week ago or so, that´s why I started the topic in the Toray forum about withdrawals.

Maybe Anna decided to train for the European 2 indoor events, ´don´t know. But skipping an event where she has to defend lots of points for training wouldn´t be her. Or she changed her schedule completely.

auntie janie
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:28 PM
They have to give some reason (even if they make something up). So at some point we should hear what their reasons are. But it is no surprise about Jennifer.

auntie janie
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Capriati, Kournikova Withdraw from Pan Pacific Open
Reuters

LONDON - Top seed Jennifer Capriati and Anna Kournikova, seeded fifth, have withdrawn from next week's Pan Pacific Open in Japan.

Capriati, the American world number three, had sunspots removed from both eyes in mid-November and was beaten in the first round of the Australian Open. She admitted she had returned too early.

Russia's Kournikova lost in the second round of the Australian Open, handed her heaviest defeat in a grand slam tournament by Belgium's Justine Henin-Hardenne, and has pulled out of the Pan Pacific with a back sprain.

American Lindsay Davenport is likely to take over from Capriati as top seed with compatriot Monica Seles as the second seed.

Katie
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Shame about Jen and Anna...Monica is playing already in Tokyo????Well, that's a good sign!!!:)

vancouverite
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Why does Lindsay become top seed? Shouldn't that go to Monica (I thought the seedings would be based on the rankings prior to the Aus Open)?????

Just curious:)

Seles1
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:04 PM
I thought Monica would get the top seed as well!

Seles_Beckham
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:07 PM
I think Monika should be number one seed, why Lindsay??

gentenaire
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Jelena Dokic is ranked higher than Monica and Lindsay right now.

So the number 8th ranked player will become top seed at a Tier I? Is this possible? Isn't the WTA obliged to see to it that at least one top 3 player plays at Tier I's and Tier II's?

Compare the field of Tokyo to that of Antwerp, which is a Tier II.

Tokyo:

8. Jelena Dokic
9. Monica Seles
10. Lindsay Davenport
12. Rubin, Chanda
14. Maleeva, Magdalena
15. Farina Elia, Silvia
16. Pistolesi, Anna

Antwerp

2. Venus Williams
3. Kim Clijsters
4. Justine Henin-Hardenne
5. Daniele Hantuchova
7. Amélie Mauresmo
8. Jelena Dokic
13. Patty Schnyder

So the number 1 seed of a Tier I would only be the number 6 seed at a Tier II!

selesadmirer
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Most likely seles will be the number one seed,does anyone know when the draw is going to be published?

gourownway
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:31 PM
oh well,

Hope JCap's eyes get better. The players are dropping like flies out of that tournament.

WTA_freak
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Dokic will be behind Monica because seeds are placed based on ranking points prior to AusOpen. But how Lindsay can be first!!?? Still injury ranking?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 24th, 2003, 04:53 PM
I don't like Monica playing here. Her ankle was swollen and bruised ten days ago and she could barely move. Something tells me she is playing here because she is required to in her contract w/Yonex.

SerenaSlam
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:09 PM
venus or serena should get a wild card here, if i was them and saw this draw, that is just callin some free points, and its a tier 1. especially venus, if she wants to catch up w/ serena!

DD
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:27 PM
serenaslam

i second that

Pinkie
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Is Capriati still bothered by her eyes or is she just not fit enough to compete because the eye surgery limited her preparation?

On the other hand, if she went back home after her loss, I doubt she'll want to go all the way to Tokyo for one tournament and then go back to the States right after. At least the other players are closer in Australia.

CapFan#1
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Cap withdrew on doctor's orders regarding not straining her eyes any further at this time. She is still signed up to play Dubai and has signed up to play Indian Wells for the 1st time in years! I think it is a smart move on her part to wait to come back 100%

Whoever said shame on her and Anna for withdrawing, get a life. If you are injured or under doctor's orders to not play, then what are you to do?!

Jarrett
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Why is the hell would Lindsay be #1? That would be so stupid.

mishar
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:11 PM
i wouldn't mind if Lindsay was #1 because then she couldn't meet Monica until the final. ;-)

TatiAnnahølic
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:26 PM
PFFFF ANNA :fiery: say good bye to the top50 :mad:

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:56 PM
SERENA may stop by for a quick win in Toykyo. :)
And some sushi as well. :)

CJ07
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Monica will be #1 unless V/Serena show up

but i think its too late isnt it?

mn73
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Anna has a back strain, an injury she picked up at the Australian Open.

auntie janie
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Tennis Week site says MARY PIERCE will play! :)

Have not seen this news elsewhere, so am holding my breath ...