PDA

View Full Version : The Writers Are Showing Their Bias - More & More These Days Against the Sisters

GogoGirl
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:18 AM
I sent this writer an email - and asked him if he thought he was a decent person let alone writer. I also said a few other choice words. This dude has some serious issues IMO. It's one thing not to like the Sisters - but to try to feul the fire about Serena faking her injury and by stating she needed something shoved down her throat is very irresponsible IMO. Just what did Serena say that was so terrible to make him go there? Was it the fact that she stated she wanted to go unbeaten this year - or that she wanted the Serena Slam? What else has she said lately to warrant such a put down?

This particular writer has the right to his opinion - but in general -people in the press should tread more carefully before they report on things from a biased prespective. He doesn't like the Sisters one bit from the way it sounds. And no one says he should like them - but he should at least try to be more tolerant and fair-minded. In reporting about Serena's praise for Kim - he mentioned it as if it were an after thought.

I also detest the title of his article. If ever someone needed to be reminded that tennis is just a game - and will not cure cancer and feed the hungry - then this knucklehead needs to be reminded.

Why don't they just do away w/injury timeouts then?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,5883191%255E23216,00.html

Kim's horrible choke
By Jeff Wells

January 24, 2003

SHE had the game but not the brain. Kim Clijsters, Our Kimmy, had Serena Williams beaten to a frazzle but choked horribly.

Up 5-1 and two breaks in the third set it seemed that the Serena Slam was about to become the Serena Slam Dunk. That all that mouthing off about an unbeaten year and a mounting roll of grand slams would be slammed back down her throat.

But she escaped with a 4-6 6-3 7-5 win. And, after Venus had whipped Justine Henin-Hardenne, we are now condemned to the drudgery of a fourth straight all-Williams final. The phenomenon just keeps on snowballing. We used to think women's tennis was boring when first Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova dominated, and then Navratilova and Steffi Graf. But the most consecutive grand slam finals they could put together was three.

When Graf started to fade the women's tour started its marketing babble about depth. Now we have four straight Serena-Venus.

And it could have been so different if only Clijsters had held her nerve. For most of the match we were watching a 19-year-old Belgium girl who had closed the gap on a 21-year-old who was threatening to amass one of the great dynasties in sport.

Kim was just as strong and had a fine game plan. It promised to be a battle of the huge forehands but Kim switched focus to the backhands.

And she was hitting high topspin with the pace off which forced Serena into error after error as she tried to bash the ball.

But she still didn't know how to win, how to conquer Serena's mind, even though she had a major win over her in the WTA titles in November.

Serena made three forehand errors as Kim held serve in the first game. It was a sign of things to come. She would win despite piling up 65 unforced errors (to Clijsters' 33) as she was pushed deep and forced to go for her shots. Kim had the more speed around the court -- even doing the splits in desperate efforts to retrieve Serena's cannonballs.

Clijsters was the first to be broken, but with the crowd roaring for her she broke back immediately. Serena may have been getting respect as the world No.1, but Kim, Lleyton Hewitt's girl, was our girl too.

When she won a struggle in the next game to hold serve she had the momentum. Serena double-faulted twice to lose her serve and the set.

They swapped service breaks to open the second set, but Clijsters was broken again in the fifth game after going walkabout. But she looked to have the edge again after coming back from 0-40 to hold serve, and, with Serena faltering, could have turned the match in the next game, but blew an easy volley. Serena took it 6-3 but Kim was at her again immediately, breaking her in the first game of the third.

Then in the third game Serena took an injury break to have a blister removed. The TV audience could see the ugly flap being scraped off but in the stadium the crowd suspected it was just another cheap delaying tactic. After all the Williams clan is notorious for fake injuries.

Kim held her nerve and, with another break, with Serena limping, ran to match point at 5-2, with the crowd getting berserk behind her. Was Serena about to pay heavily for her arrogance?

No, she hit a big return to save one match point, and made a forehand volley to save a second. After that Kim dropped her bundle and Serena's limp disappeared.

There was a sapping inevitability about what was to follow. Kim double-faulted twice and lost serve. Serena, playing mind games, started maddening delaying tactics that enraged the crowd, doodling around with the ball, holding back her serve.

And it worked. She reeled Kim in like a floppy fish. She needed only one match point before tossing her racquet and racing to mom and Venus as sections of the crowd hooted her antics and Kim quickly disappeared.

Serena said later that she never thought she was going to lose, she just kept fighting, she had made bigger fightbacks before. Yawn. But in reality Kim handed it to her Jana Novotna style.

Serena was gracious about Kim.

"I think she'll make a great champion because she is always positive," she said. And indeed it will be no great surprise if it is Clijsters who is the first to beat Serena this year. Serena sees her as the main challenger and, apart from Lindsay Davenport, she is the only one with enough muscle.

But she might have to become a little less nice, a little tougher, a little more cynical. Only a sucker gives a Serena Williams a break like that.

"I can't blame myself for anything you know," Clijsters said. "I just kept trying and tried to hang in there."

back

Mikey
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:23 AM
o please - what a poor article by an australian writer :rolleyes:

i can't believe that someone honestly writes the garbage such as this. and what's even more ridiculous - if that's even possible - is that people read this stuff and get a kick out of it.

im w/ u gogogirl.

Informative
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Jeff (Nobody) Wells is an idiot!

CC
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:29 AM
This does not sound like it was written by a professional. Maybe a 12 yr old.

Jericho
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:29 AM
not only does it put down the williams sisters, it also puts down kim!!

Joseosu19
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:33 AM
What a horrible article

joaco
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:04 AM
LOL, he seems so angry. he just wrote everything he felt in there, he shouldn't do that he should be objective

lizchris
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Are you sure this was written by someone with a normal intelligence? I told you the Australia media was desperate.

Rocketta
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:04 AM
wow, he's miserable!! It only makes Serena's win that much more sweet knowing idiots like this are suffering. LOL

vs1
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:06 AM
What a complete jerk. "Notorious for fake injuries?!" What an asshole! I'm SOOOO glad that Serena got to HIS head! Kimmie's moved on. But this writer hasn't! Whatever.

Yeah...he dissed both Serena AND Kim. He's a true hater!

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:11 AM
This Aussie writer's favorite sport is probably hunting and shooting abos. :(

Crazy Canuck
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Can't we make fun of the writer without ragging on the entire aussie media?

Agreed though, that this article is shit.

Lisbeth
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:18 AM
I think he writes for a tabloid actually, certainly not the Sydney Morning Herald, Or The Age or some such reputable paper.

I'm pretty sure I've read trash from him before - I know I had in my head already that he's a dickhead before I read this!

Yes people, we do have morons in Australia too - unfortunately we can't exile them purely on that ground!

Uxobi
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:18 AM
LOL @ that crap!

BK4ever
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:39 AM
He seems more angry at Kim that she faltered in preventing what he didnt want to see most...an all Williams Final.

He is a loser...who cares. People like him don't bother Serena and Venus. They are way above his kind.

Zenith
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Richard Williams should have a few choice words for him

Zenith
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:29 AM
I can't even call that sh!t essay writing

Brian Stewart
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:53 AM
It's too bad you can't click on that "back" link to send him back where he came from.

Hewitt225
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:57 AM
alright, i admit that i used to hate the wiliams sisters. but after reading interviews and other articles you realize how stupid it is to hate them. they never have anything bad to say about another player, even with capriati, serena gives her compliments. i think most people don't like them b/c they when all the time....i used to be a huge fan of venus until she started winning all the time, then i couldn't stand her. its stupid but i think thats a lot of peoples problems. but they both are nice girls who have a game that you have to respect...

joao
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:06 AM
I guess this guy was in the front row last night booing when Serena won her ticket to the finals! I feel for him cuz tomorrow he'll have to watch for the 4th straight time Venus and Serena take all the big bucks home. The doubles is in the pocket ... bring it on for the singles.

1jackson2001
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:51 AM
what a sad, sad man. :rolleyes:

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:01 AM
It's actually rather cleverly written. I disagree with many of its sentiments but it's no use saying the guy can't write, is an idiot, etc. The situation is quite the opposite: he's wasting his literary talent and firepower on sports commentary.

There's actually a certain amount of irony there that seems to have gone straight over the heads of you lot....possibly because this is not a tabloid piece but in the high-quality national broadsheet, The Australian.

All the same, he really is a smartarse, as is Patrick Miles at The Australian, who does a lot of their tennis writing. I don't much like this style of sports writing, and would prefer it if The Australian just gave us more "straight" sports news instead of sports journos who always want to show off how clever they are.

servenrichie
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:58 AM
jouissant - it is only you and possible people like you could find that drivel 'cleverly written'. Since when has insulting become 'clever', since when has prejudice become 'clever' in journalism.
He should please stick to sports only. I wouldnt like to think what would happen, if he has to write about important issues in life!

Was für ein idiot!

STROMILE
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:35 PM
sad !!!

CC
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:41 PM
[Edited; Stromile removed the second article] But aren't they pathetic with the Our Kim bit though? She's Belgian for heavens sake! They sound so desperate.

servenrichie
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:41 PM
C/P
Venus a tall order in battle of legs
By Jeff Wells
January 22, 2003

RESULT from the men's tennis on centre court: V Williams b D Hantuchova 6-4 6-3.

A women's match, of course, but still a game indistinguishable from that of the second-class men. You have to say that when Venus Williams is serving at 201km/h.

It may sound surly but maybe it is time for tennis to rein in the technology to reintroduce the lost arts of the game. It shouldn't be done until the Williams sisters either retire or test positive to some kind of Frankensteinian performance drug.

But at some stage some subtlety should be returned to the game. As someone in the press seats muttered as another Williams thunderbolt zoomed past her opponent: "Bring back Emilie Loit."

There has been no more enjoyable match on the women's side than when the little Frenchwoman, who looked like she was playing with a wooden racquet, drove Serena Williams to the edge of defeat with old-fashioned finesse in the first round.

Yesterday we had a 19-year-old Slovakian with the build of a broom handle trying to outplay the second-best player in the world, Venus Williams, at her own game.

It was billed as the battle of the legs, both women having pins which just don't stop. The difference is that Venus, listed at 185cm and 72.5kg (although nobody really takes any notice of these stats any more), is getting a little heavier in the thighs. Hantuchova, listed at 181cm and 56kg, bouncing around in a pink skirt, has legs like a stick insect.

She is a pretty girl who is being billed as the "new Kournikova" -- but someone who can actually play. It is not a title she welcomes but the marketers will probably have their way. We will get another anorexic-looking, albeit superbly fit, role model for our girls.

The crowd was definitely on her side, giving it to a linesman who kept making baseline calls against her in the fifth game of the first set. It upset Venus and wasn't a great moment for the tournament.

So there she was trying to go punch for punch with Venus. And she was given a chance. It has been a long time since Venus was considered a sleeper but after three straight beltings in grand slam finals by Serena, and with the devastating form shown by Kim Clijsters, she has been something of an afterthought.

And Hantuchova had given her a three-set fright last year, going on to win Indian Wells, and raised her ranking from 38 to eight on just her second year on tour.

But women's tennis is going nowhere if all the contenders can do is ape the Williams girls - but not quite well enough.

Hantuchova, for all her lack of muscle, generates power on both sides from her rocket racquet. And she is unafraid to get into slam-bam rallies - even if it brings her undone. She also makes the occasional volley.

And like Venus she will take first serve with one foot inside the baseline and then move into court to take the second - and Venus' second can drop down into the 120s.

But it proved futile, even though Venus made 20 forehand errors. Gradually Venus' serve became much more menacing and Hantuchova was pushed further behind the baseline.

Hantuchova was broken on errors in the third game. She broke back with a couple of fine crosscourt backhands but succumbed to the pressure again in the seventh. Then Venus started cranking up her serve, first to 194 and then 199. She tightened up and blew three set points but the 6-4 looked inevitable.

She may have looked bored and dopey - except when there was an easy biggie to put away - throughout the tournament but now she was a sleeper no more.

In the second set it went four games on serve. Then there were two breaks. Then Hantuchova dipped a feeble two-handed backhand volley into the net to be broken again and turned to her coach for an explanation. If he can't teach her an old-style one-handed volley maybe they should part company.

To celebrate, Venus hammered in a 201km/h ace, a tournament record, only 4km/h slower than her world record set in Zurich in 1998.

When Hantuchova served Venus hit a backhand winner so hard that her big gold earring fell off. It brought up match point and Daniela capitulated with a long backhand.

Infiniti2001
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:59 PM
That idiot is obviously another one of those "bring back the little ruffled pants and 60 mph serves guys. Venus getting heavy in the thighs"? She looks fantastic! I'll bet tens of millions of women would like to be "getting heavy in the thighs" like that! And "rein in the technology." What crap- why don't they "rein in the technology" in the mens' game which is borrrrrrring. Yeah, let's"bring back Emilie Loit" and hear the ball's bouncing echo in empty stadiums around the world. WHO set ratings records with their French Open and Wimbledon finals? Emilie Loit? I don't THINK so! And to be honest, while I agree with his assessment of Daniela's appearance, I think it's cheap and sexist to go on and on about it. I'd like to see if he mocks out Lleyton Hewitt's appearance! Is this from a tabloids?:fiery: :fiery:

RAA
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:05 PM
okay, at first I was really irritated, but now I just think its funny. its pathetic, but its funny.
honestly, in that first article he takes pot shots at both Kim and Venus..

i just think its strange that someone who obviously has quite a lot of disdain for women's tennis is writing articles about the Oz open...

sartrista7
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:09 PM
god, it's so badly written it almost sounds like the work of... of.. of a WTAWorld poster!

miranda_lou
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Yes people, we do have morons in Australia too - unfortunately we can't exile them purely on that ground!

Too bad.:rolleyes: Maybe you guys could find some other way to get him out of the country.:p

Really, he makes Kim sound stupid and she isn't. Her nerves didn't hold, that's all. She'll learn from it and go on with her life. And this poor writer will just have to "put up" with yet another Williams' final.:sad:

CC
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:06 PM
I'm sorry, I think this guy's "style" is pathetic. Nothing clever about bitterness and complete lack of objectivity.

ARealVenusFan
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Who ever thinks this rubbage is "clever" is AN IDIOT!!!

Tatiana Panova
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:50 PM
What a grotesquely ignorant and arrogant journalist.

i don't think all journalists are this bad, but there is a general feeling that the Williams Sisters have killed the fire of the late 90s when women's tennis was a cauldron of juicy stories and rivalries. I think its just that its tough to write about something when there is really nothing - this has been going on in the men's game for years.

But what the writers must do is relinquish that, and realize what unbelievable tennis players the sisters are and that they may not be here forever. They are also great personalities - unusual in this sport.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by servenrichie
jouissant - it is only you and possible people like you could find that drivel 'cleverly written'.

People like me, eh? Well perhaps it does take a professional writer like me to recognise that this smartarse actually has some literary talent.

Actually, though, I think most people could if they were objective.

As for you, ARealVenusFan, that was a really smart comeback. :rolleyes: You probably wonder how Williams fans get a bad name. Well, it's from a minority like you.

Actually, I am far from being an idiot. Also I know a lot more about writing than you do (I've had novels published professionally, which is how I currently make a living of sorts, have done some journalism myself, have taught English lit. at university level and have also taught creative writing classes, and hold a PhD in literature). Btw I said nothing bad about the sisters. I was wondering whether I would get your sort of kneejerk response. :kiss:

As I said, I don't agree with the sentiments in the article; nor do I like this kind of sports writing.

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:29 PM
jouissant, after the 2001 Australian Open finals he wrote a piece on how power tennis was destroying womens' tennis and that he doesn't expect Martina Hingis to win a slam ever again because of that. He is biased in that he looks down on power tennis and think that a lot of players particularly the sisters relies only on power. So I'm not surprised with this article at all. He's always been controversial and very wrong at times.

jouissant, I agree with your original post too ;) you know he should write politics and get critical with them ;)