PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone problems for Serena, Clijsters

Infiniti2001
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:28 PM
.c The Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters had something in common after their semifinal at the Australian Open - their cell phones weren't working in the locker room.

So they talked to each other.

Williams had just completed a dramatic victory, rallying from a 5-1 deficit in the final set. The top-ranked Williams saved two match points and took the final six games to win 4-6, 6-3, 7-5.

Williams described Clijsters as a ``great person'' and thinks she'll ``make a great champion because she is always positive. Even if inside she's dying.''

``We were actually chatting in the locker room,'' Williams said. ``You can appreciate that because after I lose - when I was younger - I would be angry,'' Williams said.

``Now it's just a game and I just wish the other person good luck in the future,'' she added.

Clijsters said she and Serena were ``always really nice to each other'' off the court.

``I have a lot of respect for every player. I can't even remember what she said (afterward). You know, I congratulated her. I said that she deserved to win.''

LOVE DOUBLE:@ Are Lleyton Hewitt and Kim Clijsters next?

Steffi Graf is contemplating a return by teaming with husband Andre Agassi in mixed doubles at the French Open, raising questions if Hewitt and his girlfriend will play together again.

For now, both are concentrating on their singles games. Hewitt is ranked No. 1 and Clijsters is No. 4.

``Who knows?'' Clijsters said. ``Once, when our careers are maybe slowing down a little bit, we might just put some mixed doubles in it as well.

``I really enjoy playing mixed doubles. It's a lot of fun, very relaxing and, yeah, I have a good partner.''

The two teamed for mixed doubles at Wimbledon in 2000, losing the final to Donald Johnson and Kimberly Po.

DOUBLE DELIGHT:@ The Williams sisters had no sooner completed their semifinal victories when duty called again.

On Saturday, Venus and Serena meet in their fourth straight Grand Slam singles final. This time, they were on the same side of the court.

The top-seeded pair beat Lindsay Davenport and Lisa Raymond 6-2, 6-2 in a semifinal. They will face Spain's Virginia Ruano Pascual and Argentina's Paola Suarez in the final Friday.

Serena was playing after her riveting three-set victory over Kim Clijsters.

``I won my first U.S. Open (in 1999) and had to go out and play doubles a half-hour later,'' she said. ``I was able to win. I'm just going to do it again. That was a bit more of a high back then.''

treufreund
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:30 PM
KIM :hearts: