PDA

View Full Version : Standing between SERENA and her SERENA Slam is

TeeRexx
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:31 PM
big sis, once again.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030122/capt.1043293692australian_open_tennis_mel102.jpg

SERENA has been having her way with VENUS in the last three Grand Slams, but big sis has been quietly playing very tough tennis and has yet to drop a single set all tournament.
The princess is flying high after her tremendous come from behind victory over Clijsters, but is she gets behind VENUS things may not go the same for her against arguably the mentally toughest player on the tour and one of the most determined in the history of the game.

This match may even end up being a tough three setter with either SERENA getting a SERENA Slam or VENUS helping the family to get a WILLIAMS Career Slam.
At any rate, this will probably not be the last all WILLIAMS slam that will be played this year.

TR :cool:

CJ07
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:35 PM
Venus will be lifting up the trophy

I hope!!

GO Venus! :bounce:

TeeRexx
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:42 PM
VENUS still has a weak second serve, but it is much improved over last year it seems.
But if she can keep cranking 135 mph serves against SERENA, then the goddess will have her fifth GS title.

TR :wavey:

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I do not think that SERENA will be willing to let VENUS get up 5-1 in a 3rd set and be confident of an amazing comeback. :)

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:23 AM
I've posted it in other threads:

based on current form; Venus should win in 2 sets.

CJ07
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:25 AM
definately :)

Besides Venus is not about to lose 4 stright GS finals

DD
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:29 AM
nothing can be base on current form. who thaught serena will play like after serving meghaan out of the match and clijsters making all to much errors against myskina. everyday is different. so you can only hope for the best.

Becool
Based on current form

Serena in straight sets

TeeRexx
Nobody beats VENUS in 4 straight GS finals, :)

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by DD
nothing can be base on current form. who thaught serena will play like after serving meghaan out of the match and clijsters making all to much errors against myskina. everyday is different. so you can only hope for the best.

I totally disagree. The "experts" pick the winners based on how they've played up to that point. That's what I'm doing. Based on how've they played in the event, Venus should win in straight sets.

You bring up Meghann/Clijsters. One big difference: Kim is much tougher player then Meghann. That alone may have a lot to do with it

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 04:17 AM
SERENA is looking tired in the doubles so that may give VENUS enough of an edge to win.

Uxobi
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:31 AM
I want Venus to win. Everyone considered Venus a long shot to even make it to the QF. Venus really proved that to be major crap!!!

Bright Red
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:39 AM
This will be a tie-breaker of a match if there ever was one. Their head-to-head is 5:5. Each has 4 GS titles. They're about even in prize money.

But still, I want Serena to win tomorrow and get her Serena Slam.

joao
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Venus has been the most consistent player in the last 11 GS ... yeah that's right since Wimbledon 2000, Venus has been in 8 GS finals (out of 11). To not even mention her name among the possible contenders for the AO was purely and simply stupid (you know what I mean Shriver?) ...

Anyway, Venus was better than Serena today during their doubles victory and she served pretty well. However, Serena picked her game in the last set ... again! So if Venus wants this GS as badly as I think she does she must not forget that! GO VENUS ... just destroy little sis in straight. Don't let her have a 3rd set ... that could mean troubles!

Infiniti2001
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Becool, you should have seen serena's form during the doubles match.. She only picked it up late ... She is still struggling with her serve. Anyway, we shall see come tomorrow night.

Go Venus !!!

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Big sis will win in the finals. :)

1jackson2001
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Venus will win. :D

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Bright Red
This will be a tie-breaker of a match if there ever was one. Their head-to-head is 5:5. Each has 4 GS titles. They're about even in prize money.

But still, I want Serena to win tomorrow and get her Serena Slam.

see I'm a little torn as well. Venus is my #1...but it would be cool if Serena had all four.

Still, I am rooting for Venus...I want Venus to win the real Slam this year. And it's been too long since US Open 2001

harloo
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Silly thread IMO. May the best sister win. Let it go!

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by harloo
Silly thread IMO. May the best sister win. Let it go!

if it's silly, then don't post in it :o ;)

harloo
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
if it's silly, then don't post in it :o ;)

This is a free messageboard, I will post wherever the hell I want tennislove. :rolleyes:

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by harloo
This is a free messageboard, I will post wherever the hell I want tennislove. :rolleyes:

then don't call threads silly. obviously it's not silly to the people posting in it.

Geez...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: no need to get defensive :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:45 AM
The best sister will win the match, but at this time that sister is undetermined and some fans want their fave or favorite fave to be that best sister.

Chance
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:40 PM
good to see people are getting off the frickin fence!

GO VENUS GO

catkey94
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:09 PM
I really want Venus to win this one. It has been too long since Venus has won a grand slam. Serena stopped Venus from making history by winning three Wimby's in a row last year, so I think that it is only fair that Venus returns the favor.

Go Venus!!!

TeeRexx
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:25 PM
catkey94 - So revenge is still best within the family, eh? :)
You are right, VENUS owes the baby a little payback for keeping the Goddess from her three straight Wimbeys. :)

RAA
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:48 PM
oh my
I, too, am really torn.
to win all four GS in a career would put Serena in rarefied air..
but Venus, well, to lose four in a row.. well, that is just too much for such a champion as herself.

Venus seems much fresher and more focussed than she did last year. Serena seems to have lost her focus just a tad..

Here's my plan (tougue in cheek here!)
Venus wins the Oz '03.. then she can win the French and have HER career GS..

okay, then Serena gets on a rampage after losing 2 GSs in a row (I'm assuming she gets to the final at the French too and loses to her sister) and wins Wimby/us open, so the two sisters split the slams for the year.
THEN we still have to get Serena HER career GS. so she can win OZ NEXT year..
They would still be 1 and 2. they would both have MORE slams. and both would have the career grand slam. perfecto!
sound good? ;-)

Halardfan
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:19 PM
I think Venus will get the job done tonight...at times her tennis against Henin was near unplayable...

Though I will be rooting for Serena, if only to stop Mr Rexx' head getting even bigger that it already is. ;)

So to speak. :o

azinna
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:43 PM
What do I wish for?

Venus! Venus! Venus!

I have no qualms about Rena not getting her Serena Slam. As folks just said, three Wimbeys or three USOpens in a row were incredible achievements that Venus never got to establish.

CJ07
Jan 24th, 2003, 09:50 PM
This is how I see it

Venus wins OZ
Venus wins the French
Venus wins Wimbledon
Serena wins Us Open *see? no Venus slam*
Serena wins Australian *now the Serena slam*
Serena wins French
Venus wins Wimbledon
Serena wins Olympics *giving her all 4 GS+ the Olympics*
Venus wins UsOpen
Venus wins OZ
Venus wins French
Monica wins Wimbledon
Venus wins UsOpen
Venus retires :sad:
Monica retires :sad:
Serena wins OZ
Serena wins French
Serena wins Wimbledon
Martina Hingis :eek: wins UsOpen
Serena retires :sad:

13GS for V
11GS for Rena
10GS for Monica

:D

Wouldnt that be perfect?

1jackson2001
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:36 PM
V & S will be that dominant over the years huh? LOL

Deira
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:58 PM
I'm here saying it loud and clear!!!

Venus Williams WILL WIN THE 2003 AUSTRALIAN OPEN!!!

That's right!!!

I said it, I meant, and I'll be here to represent it!!!

Holla!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Well, I'm not so bold as to predict a Venus victory here. I mean, I've seen this very thing before. 3 times before. I just can't sit here and say that because Venus made it to the finals without dropping a set, she's gonna win it because she did the exact same thing in at least one of the slams last year and lost to Serena in straight sets in the finals. Instead, I'll just hope and wish that Venus will win because she definitely has the talent and ability. I hope that she really has the desire to win her first Aus Open and takes the opportunity. Good luck Venus....I'm rooting for you all the way!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by HAIL-VENUS
Well, I'm not so bold as to predict a Venus victory here. I mean, I've seen this very thing before. 3 times before. I just can't sit here and say that because Venus made it to the finals without dropping a set, she's gonna win it because she did the exact same thing in at least one of the slams last year and lost to Serena in straight sets in the finals. Instead, I'll just hope and wish that Venus will win because she definitely has the talent and ability. I hope that she really has the desire to win her first Aus Open and takes the opportunity. Good luck Venus....I'm rooting for you all the way!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I agree. I'm not sure if Venus WANTS to beat Serena, preventing the Serena Slam. Clearly the media is trying to do so. However, I still say if Venus loses, she gives it to Serena. She's been playing so much better then Serena.

moon
Jan 25th, 2003, 12:07 AM
I think Venus is sick and tired of getting her head handed to her on a platter. that's why I think Vee will win. :)

Bright Red
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:27 AM
As I mentioned, I know who I want to win. The uncertainty for me is more in terms of who will win. Serena's single performance has been so spotty throughout this tournament. She's really placed me on a roller coaster already!

In fact, her doubles performance summarizes her AO'03 singles play. Throughout that match, Serena was anything but consistent and played either very well or poorly, BUT she came through when she needed too. That's why I don't know. Will Venus let Serena get away with spotty play if it comes to that? Again, I don't know.

The good part for me is that I'll be happy regardless of tonight's outcome. It almost feels too good to be true.

Go Serena! Go Venus!

TeeRexx
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:46 AM
mcdonald - How did Hingis slip in for that GS win? :) LOL