PDA

View Full Version : Sanity prevails in court: Mcdonald's suit tossed out

griffin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:50 PM
since CHOCO seems to be napping ;) :

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/22/health/main537520.shtml

(CBS) A federal judge dismissed a class action lawsuit filed on behalf of New York children that claimed McDonald's food caused them health problems that included diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.

"If consumers know (or reasonably should know) the potential ill health effects of eating at McDonald's, they cannot blame McDonald's if they, nonetheless, choose to satiate their appetite with a surfeit of supersized McDonald's products," U.S. District Judge Robert Sweet said in his ruling Wednesday.

"What this ruling tells me is that the legal system isn't nearly ready, if it ever will be, to lump fast food with tobacco when it comes to industries that directly affect the health of consumers," said CBSNews.com Legal Analyst Andrew Cohen.

Plaintiffs' attorney Samuel Hirsch had argued that the high fat, sugar and cholesterol content of McDonald's food is "a very insipid, toxic kind of thing" when ingested regularly by youngsters. According to McDonald's Web site, a Big Mac packs 590 calories and 34 grams of fat while a large serving of french fries weighs in at 540 calories and 26 grams of fat.

Hirsch maintained that while people may generally understand that fast-food burgers and fries are not health food, they do not realize just how bad they can be.

McDonald's spokesman Walt Riker said in a statement Wednesday that "common sense has prevailed. We said from the beginning that this was a frivolous lawsuit."

Hirsch did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Legal analyst Cohen does not foresee a rosy future for such lawsuits.

"I don't think that any of these lawsuits will prevail unless and until there is proof that fast food companies are intentionally and maliciously putting stuff into their food in an effort to make people ill or to addict them to the product. There is no proof of that - no hint of any proof of that - and I think that missing elements makes these sorts of claims very difficult for courts to take seriously," he said.

İMMIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

disposablehero
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:54 AM
I hope this doesn't affect my current litigation against Joseph Seagram and Co.

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:57 AM
YEAH!! This is the case i wuz talkin about!! Some dude sueing McDonald cuz he said McDonald caused him to be fat LoL...lameass

Poe
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:30 AM
this lawsuit to me was a fine example of just how pathetic, lazy, and greedy the modern human is capable of being

i don't know how those people faced themselves in the mirror

disposablehero
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:39 AM
It was very easy, Poe. They just bought a larger mirror.

SM
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:09 AM
yeah well its good to see its rare these cases prevail, but some people have actually won the litigationg b4 in the states so there's always that precedent fall back on? (i dont rememebr the specifics of the case ) but related to some 'fat-lard' suing a fast-food company ;)!

LeonHart
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:12 AM
The lady spilling her hot coffee on herself, and suing McDonald afterward wuz also a dumb case. Its McDonald's fault for her spilling the coffee?? and she didn't knoe it wuz hot??? LoL...

disposablehero
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Here I am, drunk again. I swear Seagram is going to pay for this, and pay big.

gentenaire
Jan 24th, 2003, 08:51 AM
disposable, LMAO!

Poe, be careful, I may sue you soon for the time I lost here, that I should have spent working!

Aloysius
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:18 PM
The plaintiff makes it sound like a conspiracy. Any idiot knows that takeaway joints don't serve low-fat food and anyone stupid enough not to know how to eat in moderation should just suffer the consequences. McDonald's has never hidden the fact that their food is high in fat content. They even have nutritional content leaflets in their stores. They're a lot more honest than most fast food chains with the exception of Subway.

griffin
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by disposablehero
Here I am, drunk again. I swear Seagram is going to pay for this, and pay big.

Will you buy me a drink or 5 when they do?

Rae Q.
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Totally ridiculous and they actually thought they were gonna win the case! :rolleyes:

disposablehero
Jan 25th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Sorry Griffin, my conscience won't allow me to buy a drink for any woman who seems unlikely to have sex with me.

Halardfan
Jan 25th, 2003, 11:07 AM
I always loathe these silly lawsuits, but I don't like Mcdonalds either so I say go get 'em! ;) Sue them for using a stupid clown to promote themselves. I HATE clowns. HATE HATE HATE them! (Sorry clown fans...its a result of a childhood, clown related, trauma :o)

Down with evil Clowns!

Meat is Murder!

Power to the people!

Make hay not war!

Young Hearts run free!

http://www.couponpages.com/clipart/mcdonalds-ronald-c-160x265.jpg
Scary bloody clown...lets kick his head in! :)

Anyone seen Stephen King's IT??? Nuff said.

griffin
Jan 25th, 2003, 04:42 PM
I think I would like to sue Mr. Ba for cruelty to vegetables. What did the potato ever do to you? :p

Halardfan
Jan 25th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Im sure Potatoes are very nice once you get to know them, and I don't really wish them any harm. :) Its just that I like chips. Or 'Fries' as those clown lovers over at Mcdonalds insist on calling them.

I like my 'fries' with Tomato sauce. Which only compunds my anti-vegetable crimes. Though I'm told Tomatoes are a fruit. Its so complex an issue.

Did I mention I hate clowns?

;)

Richie77
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:44 AM
You'd better watch out, Chris...I heard Bozo the Clown got wind of your hatred of clowns...he's going to sue you for emotional distress ;) :p