PDA

View Full Version : Damn! Look at their rankings!

SerenaSlam
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:33 PM
Top 12 Ranking standings up the AO Finals:
(Number of tournaments played(including the AO) in parenthesis)
1. Serena............................................ ....................6645 (13)
2. Venus............................................. ....................5370 (15)
3. Clijsters......................................... ......................3763 (21)
4. Henin-Hardenne.......................................... ..........3407 (22)
5. Hantuchova........................................ ..................2838 (24)
6. Capriati.......................................... ......................2790 (17)
7. Mauresmo.......................................... ..................2729 (15)
8. Dokic............................................. ......................2506 (29)
9. Seles............................................. ......................2492 (15)
10.Davenport...................................... ......................2171 (11)
11. Myskina........................................... ..................2150 (28)
12.Rubin.......................................... ........................1965 (16).

If Serena wins the title:
1. Serena............................................ ..................6989 (13)
2. Venus............................................. ..................5370 (15).

If Venus wins the title:
1. Serena............................................ ..................6645 (13)
2. Venus............................................. ..................5764 (15).

I really want venus to win this title, she would be about 2000 pts ahead of the number 3 player. that would give her a very good cushion. Man can you believe that? and if serena wins the title she will have almost 7000pts. what the heck? that will really give her a cushion till id say after wimbledon. unless venus and serena loose like first round in the slams, i see no way in hell kim clijsters or justine henin catching up w/ venus and serena. they are starting to distance themselves like hingis did in the rankings. especially serena! this was the only slam they could rack in the points, and they really have. the last four slams venus and serena have collected the most points possible and money possible! i just can't get over it. serena w/ almost 7000pts? and venus almost 6000?

Hewitt225
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:34 PM
capriati sure did drop

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:36 PM
I know its been discussed before but Dokic sure plays alot, and Myskina is right up there with her.

SerenaSlam
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:39 PM
jennifer no longer will be a force to reckon w/ them, and w/ the ranking of number 6 i think she will go out even earlier to someone like lindsay, monica, ameilie, daniela, the beligians. she has finals points to defend before the french, and a couple semifinal points to defend before the french, i don't know if she will be able to do that. so her ranking may drop again. she may get a heck of a draw at the french!

supremeross
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:44 PM
I think Jen will be fine. Has a player ever earned more than 7, 000 points? I know the haters and critics were saying a while ago when Serena went over 6, 000 points it wasn't all that amazing, but now on the cusp of going over 7, 000 points, that's like WOW!!

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:47 PM
I could be wrong but I thought Martina Hingis had close to 7500 or more at some point.

RAA
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:19 PM
I know that Serena has a lot of points to defend in a few months, but for right now, until about late feb/march, she's got ZIPPO points to defend since she was out hurt last year at this time... so she'll just be adding to the pile o points.

Bigkimfan
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:22 PM
Go Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Kart
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:23 PM
I think that Serena could well top 7000 soon.

Interesting that JenCap lost all her grand slam points from Oz, yet still remains top six - clearly there's more to her than just one tournament.

roots
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:06 PM
As much as I didn't want to see Venus and Serena meeting in yet another Grand Slam final, I have to admit which other 2 players deserve to be there. They truly are the best 2 players out there these days. Simply amazing to see Serena so close to 7000 pts, remarkable!

For the record, I wouldn't be too worried about Jennifer going down in the rankings. So, she lost 1st round round at OZ '03. It happens to the best of them. And sure she's got some finals and semi-finals points to defend before Roand Garros, but she also added 2 tournaments that she didn't play last year, Tokyo and Indian Wells. She'll be able to make up some points.

Any way you look at it, the dept in women's tennis is rich. I think we're in for a heck of a year.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:10 PM
Lindsay will surely climb to TOP 3 or 4 before Wimbledon this year.

ChrisGermany
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:14 PM
I think the Williams dominance is a clear sign of how improving the GS points changed the rankings. In former years, players got less than 800 points for winning Grand Slams, now they get 1.200 if doing great. Even quarterfinalists get appr. 100 more points compared to the past if beating quality players.

I think if you consider one of the players after them being solid over the year and doing damage at a Grand Slam and the sisters just collecting quarterfinal points f.e. puts them at 260 instead of 1.160 points and that´s definetly a difference. Imagine 260 for last 8 and 1.160 for winning the final. That´s a difference that led to the Williams being so high on top. They deserve that position due to their unbelievable success but as soon as 1 GS or the other goes to another player, rankings can change. Though I believe they´ll dominate the year again.

Regarding Jenn, I doubt you´re right in saying, she´ll drop dramatically. Playing Arabia, Indian Wells and Tokyo will help her improving her rankings before she has to defend anything. On clay, she´ll definetly be solid and regarding the two summer GS, I see no reason why she shouldn´t be ranked top8 as a seed. And facing top players like Dokic or Mauresmo then is just luck of the draw. Mauresmo f.e. should be top8 herself, so I don´t see anyone not within the top8 right now, apart from Davenport and Seles who can beat her WITH EASE. And I definetly DO believe she´s to win one or two titles and having a pretty solid year.

A player of her style is just too keen on showing which form she has in her to let 2 losses depress her. She wants to get back where she sees herself.

Personally, I think everybody wouldn´t see her as top4 at the moment with US/Belgium on top and maybe she wouldn´t beat Mauresmo either, but I do believe she belongs where she is now, top6, and that she can use 2003 to get it better.

SerenaSlam
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:03 PM
the only reason why i say this about jennifer is, b/c she wasn't playing like she won the australian open 2001 in 2002, and she is playing worse than she did in 2002. she didn't win a title after the aussie in 2002, and is playing worse now, so how is she going to be able to win a title this year? we will just have to see, but that is the only reason why i was questioning jennifer.

vs1
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:48 PM
Jenn is playing Indian Wells?! I thought there was bad blood there for her!

ChrisGermany
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:59 PM
I have no idea about her changing her mind either.

I think it´s about her past there, regarding the years she didn´t play at all.

~|Naomi|~
Jan 24th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Lindsay will surely climb to TOP 3 or 4 before Wimbledon this year.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Kim has nothing to defend till Miami where she only has 101 points to defend, she has big performances at Rome and Hamburg to defend but not really anything else till Stanford. Kim only has 40 points to defend for the entire grass season and like only80 points at the French Open. So until July Kim really has a great chance to do really well and gain lots of points

vs1
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Yeah, Kim's stress fracture kept her out of the game a lot last year, or she wasn't playing injury-free and wasn't able to perform to her potential. So she really does have a lot to gain. If she shows well at the FO & Wimby, she'll gain a lot of points.

Lindsay will certainly move up. Maybe about #5 or #6.

Hawk
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Oh boy..Kim's got her work cut out for her. Luckily she doesn't have much to defend around the French and Wimbledon due to last year's slump.

Sharapower
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:17 AM
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA :

31st, december 2000 : #100 +
31st, december 2001 : #38
31st, december 2002 : #8
27th, january 2003 : #5

And counting...

Who's making a guess on 31st, december 2003 :cool: ?

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:21 AM
quasimodo, I am quietly confident, that's all I'll say ;)