PDA

View Full Version : This is the first time in the Open Era (ever?) that only two people are currently...

Hurley
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:56 AM
...holding ALL of the majors' champion/runner-up trophies.

Never before have only two players been in every major final on the rankings. Chrissie and Martina never did it. Steffi and Monica, nope. Martina and Lindsay, no.

That is staggering. Good for them.

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:58 AM
I was just going to post it before the board went offline a bit or too slow.

Anyway, I think it's the first time EVER not just open era, but don't quote me on that ;)

Hurley
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Sam L
Anyway, I think it's the first time EVER not just open era, but don't quote me on that ;)

:D

Rollo
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:46 AM
You can quote me on that:) It's quite an accomplishment-and what a ripper of a match! If Serena manages to win she will have won at least two matches from the edge of defeat.

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:49 AM
Yep, waiting for someone to confirm it :)

It's surprising isn't that Martina-Chris never went 4 in a row despite how many times they played.

Also amazing is the dual dominance, which is rare. We've had total dominances by single players but this is something.

irma
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:51 AM
did it never happened in the pre open era either? just wondering

great achievement anyway:D

vs1
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:52 AM
Congrats to Venus and Serena. They are breaking all sorts of records and barriers!

tennisfan1972
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:17 AM
Congrats to Serena Williams and Venus Williams and the Womens games for making history.

anton
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:22 AM
go venus! congrats to serena!

Rollo
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:44 AM
Not even in the pre Open era. It woould have been harder then because so many women didn't play the Aussie before the mid 80s.

The closest anyone else has come was 83 and 84.
Evert was in 6 straight finals from 1984 to 85 but because she skipped the 83 Aussie she and Martina couldn't hold all four early in 1984. Had Martina won vs. Sukova at Oz a few months later it would have been the 4th Martina-Chris final in a row AND in a calendar year. But Sukova won of course.

Informative
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:24 AM
WOW. This is an absolutely amazing statistic. This stat confirms that Venus & Serena have to be considered two of the greatest athletes in the history of sports, period. Astonishing.

Pureracket
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:32 AM
Wonderful stat!!!!!

Chance
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:36 AM
cool

I just hope this match goes to 3 sets

Experimentee
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:41 AM
Wow that is really amazing. They are something special :)

DEETHELICK
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:29 PM
Absolutely amazing!

I really have to give them lots of credit, they have really risen above the rest in a massive way!

Congrats, I'm not sure who I want to see win. Serena holding all 4 Slams would be great, but being an older sibling myself, I feel Venus needs to do some payback :)

Go Venus :)