PDA

View Full Version : anyone have some electrical tape and a dirty sock?

Poe
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:54 AM
who the hell was that guy commentating with mary and pam :eek: Apparently there has to be a brain dead male during every women's match to state the obvious... having two experienced, female veterans isn't enough.... gotta add the third, manly wheel

he would just state the obvious and then there'd be dead air.. i could just hear mary thinking "thanks for adding that brilliant bit of commentating"

there isn't always a woman during the men's matches.. in fact there rarely is except when mary is there..... but i have yet to watch a single women's match without at least one male commentator, and sometimes they don't even know what the hell they're talking about

Poe
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:56 AM
btw when mary said "it's hard to watch serena play this pinched and constipated" i spit my coke out

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:56 AM
LOL you're right, we get those here sometimes too :D

Hurley
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:58 AM
It's not often that you hear the word "constipated" during tennis commentary :D

:hearts: Mary :hearts:

Brian Stewart
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:04 AM
However, it is often that we think the announcers are constipated.

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:05 AM
After Mary's comment, I thought that it was particularly pathetic when the guy tried to come back with his own little "constipated" joke. Obviously, he got no replies from Mary or Pam, only that same dead air that usually follows one of his statements. And boy wasn't he whistling his ass off tonight? I'm really fed up with him. I'd rather see Mary, Pam and Mary Jo commentating during the women's matches.

Poe
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Brian Stewart
However, it is often that we think the announcers are constipated.

maybe instead of gagging him we could send him some metamucil

anton
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:09 AM
i think they normally have one person to just call the games score with anice voice just to do the play by play. mary and pam talk more tennis in detail.

treufreund
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
Who was it?

Hurley
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:41 AM
Chris Fowler. He does general ESPN stuff. It's like when TNT has that b-ball announcer doing Wimbledon interstitials. Useless.

Sonja
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:26 PM
*hands poe the requested tape and a dirty sock (stolen from Roddick after that five set match)*

We're counting on you Poe; don't let us down! :p

tennischick
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:52 PM
now how can we get this entire thread forwarded to ESPN??

Hail-Venus you're right. his addendum to Mary's constipated comment was so horrible. i'm glad they just ignored his ass. if it's bad for us, imagine how Mary and Pam must feel having to interact with this idiot day in day out.

anton
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:08 PM
so whats the tape and the sock for?

*JR*
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:15 PM
For my $, "Martina I" is the ONLY really good commentator @ WTA events. Hopefully she'll go full time now that the on-court "encore" seems 2B wrapping up. Mary C. and Mary Joe have some potential; Pam and ESPECIALLY Chrissie flat out suck, IMO.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:23 PM
That guy is very very very awful. Bring back cliff please!

RAA
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:29 PM
Chris Fowler was TERRIBLE!! its honestly such a indication of disrespect that ESPN would send him out there to do commentary on the women's semis of a Grand Slam. He's an idiot! what about that annoying WHISTLE he would do???

CC
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:49 PM
Why on earth did he say, "as a guy you don't want to see that" referring to Lleyton when Kim did the split? Again, he was met with dead silence from Pam and Mary.

Car Key Boi
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Poe
btw when mary said "it's hard to watch serena play this pinched and constipated" i spit my coke out

lol, a classic piece of ESPN commentary

to be honest, although Chris Fowler is a dipshit, i prefer him to Cliff Drysdale who i find boring as shit

- Car Key Boi :confused:

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:22 PM
I think they all stink! I'm tired of hearing about the personal breakfasts with Kim. How Kim offered to do this or that. Then to go on and say how Venus doesn't want to be chummy like it is her obligation to be. They all got on my nerves, royally.

Mrs. Peel
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Poe

This was by far one of Mary's best comments during the match..I just chuckled...SHE WAS RIGHT!;)

I just loved this guy calling Serena Venus several times... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sometimes Pam just needed to stop talking...but she wouldn't stop! MJ did look a little crestfallen...or more like she stopped breathing during the 3rd set!

Loved the title of this thread btw...I was already cracking up before I opened it!

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:22 PM
Hehe, and it was oh so funny when Chris excitedly interrupted Mary C. during the Venus/Henin-Hardenne match to advise her that Venus had hit a 201k serve...Mary C. was noticably annoyed and advised Chris that the damn serve has to actually go in to count for anything. Then she dryly laughed it off and continued her conversation with Pam. It was so funny. I felt embarrassed for Chris. Oh, and please don't send Cliff's ole boring annoying ass back over to call play by play for the women. I get so sick of him constantly talking about Andy Roddick or Pete Sampras during a women's match. He and Patrick gets on my last nerve doing that crap. Ok, let's face it....all of them suck. I like Mary Carillo though. She's funny and unbiased.

Richie77
Jan 24th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Mary Carillo has been cool for the past 20 years, and will be cool for the next 50 years. That is all. :)
I like Pam and Mary Joe, also.

I haven't heard enough of Chris Fowler to form an opinion...as for Cliff, well... :p :rolleyes: . I think that says it all.

Dawn Marie
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:13 AM
They all suck ass! Mary Jo, Mary C, Pam,Cliff,Mal,Luke, The token male in semifinal match, all suck complete ass!
I thought for sure Mry Jo was going to breakdown in tears when Serena pulled that match out. Boy did it get sooooooooooo quiet when Serena started her comeback. I think I heard a pin drop.

ESPN's coverage and commentating is shitty.

Like tonight stupid Pam stated " Serena is the captain when they play doubles." That lady is so far gone. Venus is the backbone just not as animated as Serena. Venus always keeps her mental attitiude up during a match. Venus is by far the better competitor win or lose against Serena.

Idiots.:)