PDA

View Full Version : Simply amazing, this 46-63-75 win of Serena over Kim!

"Topaz"
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:24 AM
Sorry if this is the nth thread on the subject matter. I'm overwhelmed, astounded and gasping at Serena's phenomenal comeback from 15 to 75 in the 3rd set.

I saw 2 superb players today and I tip my hat to both of them. Presonally, I put this match way up there with Rodick/Aynaoui. And as in the latter case, Rena and Kim hugged at the end in a great show of appreciation and respect for one another. How gracious of them!

The crowd was largely behind their adopted child. That was ok with me, for I was behind Serena. We all make choices.

Congrats Serena!

Congrats Kim!

Great day for women's tennis!

tennischick
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:31 AM
i only just logged on bec i expected the board to be awash with repetitive threads as well...

my breathing has only just come to normal...

Serena is the #1 player in the world. there's no doubt in my mind about it...:) :)

tennisIlove09
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:32 AM
unbelievable. This is just amazing. Congrats Serena!

G_Slammed
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:34 AM
Serena is the #1 player in the world. there's no doubt in my mind about it...

No doubt about it now in a certain russian brunette's mind too.;)

"Topaz"
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:17 AM
My amazement continues: Serena is back on the court right now with her sister against Davey/Raymond! I thought those blisters would have hampered her and she would have withdrawn! OMG!

1jackson2001
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:29 AM
lol, but this match is far far behind the Roddick/El Aynoaui match in terms of quality. The match differentials for both Kim and Serena were in the negative..double-digit negatives. For Andy and Younes, their differentials were +60s and +50s, respectively!

_Andy_
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:30 AM
It wasn't a fulfilling match, but my girl Serena won. I am very happy!

servenrichie
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:52 AM
Serena is the true warrior princess. I am still speechless

anton
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:06 AM
CONGRATS SERENA@!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tennischick
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:10 PM
what was the result of her doubles match? anyone know?

RAA
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:31 PM
i'm still speechless too. although serena played TERRIBLY for most of that match, it is really true champions who pull those victories out.

Congrats to Kim, she played an excellent match, right up until the end where I think she just got a bit tight. she played within herself and had the right strategy when SErena was making all the errors. In some wierd way that I can't articulate she reminded me of Hingis - running down all the balls and hitting inside the lines and getting the error.

plus I was VERY impressed with Kim's demeanor throughout the whole match. she was very focussed, didn't let her emotions show - very professional

"Topaz"
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:39 PM
12 hours later, I'm still filled with amazement!

Hinault
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:51 PM
Serena was great at the end.
But how she faked she was injured??? I'm Belgian and we all love Kim very much because she's so friendly against everyone and never behaves as a bitch. Can Serena say the same????

Mrs. Peel
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:53 PM
I was in disbelief, too...still don't know how she did it! She is truly #1 for a reason...she really gutted it out when it look like she was about to fold! I was ready to flip off the telly and jump in the shower because I thought I couldn't take the crowd reaction after Kim won! I just found myself standing in front of the T.V. wrapped in a towel with my mouth open. 6 STRAIGHT GAMES?!?!?!?!

One suggestion for Serena...she loves to emulate her sister...so I think she should learn some style points from Venus. Serena looks just AWFUL when she loses her composure! Her emotion and passion is integral to her game but she almost gave too much away. :eek: I don't like to see WILD THANG on the tennis court!

Venus is the true Goddess when it comes to this!:worship: She don't give up nothing!

ANYWHO....Serena is amazing...the sister's really belong in this final! Another stage to conquer! Warrior Princess vs. The Queen

Kim was an amazing strong consistant competitor! She wouldn't die but she fizzled at the end..what a shame, but now she is the solid #3 in the world. I am happy for her. I prefer her there than Jennifer Capriati. Better luck next time Kim! You are great and very very classy!:wavey: :D

Bright Red
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:01 PM
Indeed last night was great for women's tennis (at least from the perspective of drama!).

I couldn't watch the match after Serena went down two breaks in the third. I woke up and told myself that I wouldn't even go online at all today until all the hooplah about Serena's defeat had ended. But then I changed my mind and decided to just look at the very top headline on ausopen.org. Serena's match wasn't the headline. So then, I decided to go to the top headline on Yahoo! Sure enough it had it---> "All Williams-All the Time".

The title of this thread sums up how I feel about the whole thing...

Simply amazing!

Larrybid
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Peel
One suggestion for Serena...she loves to emulate her sister...so I think she should learn some style points from Venus. Serena looks just AWFUL when she loses her composure! Her emotion and passion is integral to her game but she almost gave too much away. :eek: I don't like to see WILD THANG on the tennis court!..

I hate the wild thang too. I can't tell you how disapointed I was at all the negative body lauguage and the whining about line calls that Serena did while she was in the process of giving the match to Kim. I guess maybe she was cranky becasue her foot hurt. But whatever, being too emotional on court never worked for her in the past - whereas never letting the opponent see you sweat has kept Venus winning even when she hasn't played particularly well (which IMHO has been the last year or so).

I think Serena must have taken a Prozac during the injury timeout (or took her note to heart) becasue even though she lost the first game after the injury time out, the negative body lauguage was all gone! No frustrated practice swings after a UE, just adjust the racket strings and play the next point. Just like big sister Queen Vee.....

Venus Forever
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:43 PM
GREAT WIN, SERENA!!:D:D:D

Nice effort, Kim.:)