PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'm gonna throw myself into uncoming traffic if.....

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:14 AM
Venus loses another final to Serena's ass :eek: j/k, but I would love for Venus to win this title. I don't know. Serena really seems to step it up against Venus as opposed to Jen Cap or Clijsters. Instead of enjoying the match, what Venus should have really been doing out there today was to take notes from Kim on how to at least threaten Serena. Ofcourse, she's not just another ordinary opponent to Venus, but still. Serena seems to find her "A" game more easily when she plays her big sis. Go Venus!!! Bring the title home to the States!!!!

USA

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:20 AM
Well with Serena having dug herself out of two impossible matches, she's on an absolute mental high.

It's going to be tough for Venus. She needs a good 2nd serve and forehand (especially when on the defense).

I think Serena will win UNLESS her blisters get worse.

Serena is going to be ALL OVER that 2nd serve is Venus', she hasn't improved it at all.

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:29 AM
I know. That's what I'm talking about. I sincerely hope Venus proves me wrong, but it seems like we're looking at a "Serena Slam" for real. While Venus is off, she needs to sneak away and practice on getting both her first and second serve percentage up, better ball placement on her serve, more consistency on her groundstrokes, moving the ball around the court better, continuing to attack the net, and most importantly letting go of that big sister love for a couple of hours. If she can put these things together in a day or two, then she can win this slam. Good luck Vee. Once again, you'll need it. Sadly enough, I wanted Serena to win, but now I feel kind of a let down. I think Venus would have had a better chance against Kim. Oh well.

Jovon
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:31 AM
I dont want Venus to lose again either, I would love for Venus to win the AO for the first time but

I would love for Serena to win and get her Serena Slam...

So I want :confused: to win?

Now that they are in the finals I see I have to think about this further!

Chance
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:51 AM
I'm thinking that Serena is going to win, I so want Venus to win but against Venus - Serena justs steps it up. I'm keeping my expectations low then I won't be as depressed as I was after the USOPEN

tennisIlove09
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:54 AM
Serena will win, but I'm sure that if they both played at their level today, Venus would win.

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:57 AM
I think that one of the main factors for Venus will be to win the first set. Venus usually takes off after that, where Serena tends to become a bit dejected. Now, we all know that Serena can come back from being down a set, but I think it will give Venus a tremendous edge if she can come out strong and win the first set.

Larrybid
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:20 AM
Hey I'm rooting hard for Venus in the final, but Venus can't learn anthing from Kimmie about "threatening" Serena. Kim never threatened Serena: Serena threatened Serena. What did she have like 500 UE's thru the First 2 sets? I'm still trying to figure out how Kim didn't win that 2nd set a poorly as Serena was playing. When Serena stopped handing the match to Kim with simple forehands into the net, Kim went away quietly.

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:23 AM
Uhm, you honestly don't think a 5-1 lead in the third set is threatening? Come on now....

Infiniti2001
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:25 AM
Venus says she wants to spoil Serena's party

By Julian Linden

MELBOURNE, Jan 23 (Reuters) - Venus Williams says she has no intentions of rolling over and letting younger sister Serena win the Australian Open and complete her grand slam of major titles.

Venus said she wants to win the championship for herself, even if it means denying Serena a place in history as one of only five women to hold the four major titles at the same time.

"When I'm on the court, I'm a competitor," Venus said. "No matter who is, I hate to lose and it's the same with her."

The two sisters have played each other in the last three grand slam finals with Serena winning them all to take the world number one ranking from Venus.

Now Venus, who beat Justine Henin-Hardenne 6-3 6-3 on Thursday to advance to the final, wants to end her run of losses against her younger sister.

"I've always wanted to win the titles, especially if it's a grand slam. I'm just as hungry, I'm just as motivated," Venus said.

"If she were to twist her ankle on the court, of course I'd be concerned, but I would still have to go out and hit the next shot. That's the way it is."

Venus won the Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles in 2000 and 2001 but hasn't won a major since. Chasing a hat-trick of majors at last year's Australian Open, she was upset in the quarter-finals by Monica Seles.

"It's so exciting, I've struggled and failed before and never been so close to winning the Australian Open," Venus said.

"I guess it's at this point you think about taking the title home, so at least I'm always in the position to be the victor."

While Serena was twice taken to three sets on her way to the final, Venus hardly raised a sweat as she won each of her six matches in straight sets, getting close to the form that saw her reach the number one ranking three separate times between February and July 2002.

"I think I'm doing good. The only time I'm making errors is when I rush myself but it's in my nature to play an aggressive game," Venus said.

"That's the way I was taught to play the game because the people that are winning are playing aggressive and making things happen on the court.

"I really just have to keep focussing and keep playing like I am. I have to keep my errors down and keep coming in, keep holding serve."

I believe

per4ever
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Larrybid
Hey I'm rooting hard for Venus in the final, but Venus can't learn anthing from Kimmie about "threatening" Serena. Kim never threatened Serena: Serena threatened Serena. What did she have like 500 UE's thru the First 2 sets? I'm still trying to figure out how Kim didn't win that 2nd set a poorly as Serena was playing. When Serena stopped handing the match to Kim with simple forehands into the net, Kim went away quietly.

that shows lots of respect for Kimmie :rolleyes: Sure..Kim is just returning all balls and serena divides the points :rolleyes:

Larrybid
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:30 AM
It would be threatening if it was becasue of great play on Kim's part. Serena was down becasue she couldn't keep the ball on the court, and was looking defeated and whiney about her constant errors. I don't see what Venus could learn from that.

tennisIlove09
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:32 AM
Infiniti2001

I want to believe, but after last year's terrible performances by Venus, I have little faith:o

Larrybid
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:34 AM
Its not meant to be a diss of Kimmie (although that choke job was a doosy). Kim has played better. But let's be very clear here: Kim was on the verge of winning becasue Serena was giving her the match. Don't take it as disrespect - its just objective fact. Look at the match stats, please.

Chance
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:34 AM
Kim was playing very consistent smart tennis, Venus did that in USOPEN 2001.
If Venus cuts down on her errors, then Vee would have a better chance

Infiniti2001
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:37 AM
tennisIlove09 , Venus did not have this attitude at all last year. Oh well, we will see :)

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:40 AM
Yeah, isn't it kind of freakishly out of character to see that Venus will be a bit concerned for Serena should something happen to her on court, but will quickly move on to the next point? :D I'm sensing a new found glim of hope for Venus :bounce:

Infiniti2001
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:46 AM
Yeah Hail Venus, she really wants Serena's derriere heehee

tennisIlove09
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Infiniti2001
tennisIlove09 , Venus did not have this attitude at all last year. Oh well, we will see :)

I guess we will find out Saturday/Sunday, depending where you live.

BTW: I won't have a problem if Serena beats Venus playing 100%...I just don't think we've EVER seen Serena beat Venus, while Venus was trying 100%.

per4ever
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:09 AM
but if you start hitting DF's...then it's your own fault..not the opponents..

CanIGetAWhat
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:11 AM
I will simply die if Venus doesn't win. ;) Venus, work on that forehand, second serve and I want Serena to be front row, center and taking your pic when you hoist that trophy ;)

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:17 AM
So CanIgetaWhat, you know exactly where I'm coming from then? I guess I just want Venus to restore my faith in her abilities against her younger sister. Since I've lost most of it after cheering her on desperately at 3 slams last year. Ultimately, I'd decided to not get my hopes up so high for this slam. Never the less, I swear I'm gonna bounce my ass right off a mack truck if Vee loses this Grand Slam. How's that for living through my favorite player? LMAO ;)

Informative
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:48 AM
HAIL-VENUS,

Don't worry. Venus will win the title this time. Save your ass and look both ways when crossing the street. You wanna be here when Venus hoists that trophy above her beautiful 6' 1" head and does the lovely twirl of hers. Venus all the way in 2003!

DD
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:35 PM
i am a little bit for venus this time. i dont care if serena doesnt get the serena slam because i dont want venus to lose 4 straight grandslam finals. serena prevented her for making history by beating her at wimbledon. the most important thing is they both play well to me.

MAY THE BEST WIN. my australianopen has ended. now onto the frenchopen.

veronica
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM
I don't care what she says - Serena was freaking against Kim. :eek:

She won't be nervous against Venus and Venus is gonna be in BIG trouble. She's going DOWN!

GO SERENA!!!!!

LIL' SIS POWER!!!!!!!! in 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

[take THAT all u lil sis HATERS! LOL!]