PDA

View Full Version : New found respect for kim

Hulet
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:58 AM
Alright, guys. I have to admit something. All the last two weeks, I have been very skeptic of the hype kim was getting. I told myself all the props she was getting was from some delusional media and anti-william fans. I said to myself, "look who she is playing? a low ranked players." But, all that changed. I think she almost gave me the biggest heart attack today. She played awesome except at the end. She did deserve all the hype and more. I won't still be fan, but she has my biggest respect among the other players I don't support. Yes, she is the biggest threat to the sisters and would soon get her slam.

congrats kim.

Lisbeth
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:02 AM
Thanks for letting us know :-)

I think anyone that has watched her play since late last year should feel the same. Kim is the real deal. One loss doesn't change that.

BK4ever
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:02 AM
The problem with Kim today was her gameplan. Her tactic was to keep the ball in play, wait for Serena to miss (see her winner column). Once Serena decided to go for broke, Kim still kept playing the same passive game. When you are in the sf of a slam...you need to play to win, not play to lose. She will learn alot from this loss.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:04 AM
My newfound respect is for demeanor. I'm not talking about managing leads, but about her attitude towards other people -- incredible :)

spencercarlos
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:23 AM
I agree on this one, right now, no one can reach Williamses shots better than Kim, she can hang in there. I really bet my money on Kim for Roland Garros.

spencercarlos
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by BK4ever
The problem with Kim today was her gameplan. Her tactic was to keep the ball in play, wait for Serena to miss (see her winner column). Once Serena decided to go for broke, Kim still kept playing the same passive game. When you are in the sf of a slam...you need to play to win, not play to lose. She will learn alot from this loss.

I really agree on this one. For sure Kim paid the price for not being the agressor, especially when she had that such huge lead.

tennisfan1972
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:37 AM
Km is one of my faves and today just showed me that she can hang with serena until serena decides to get comfortable with the net as Venus has. Even when Venus is playing poorly she still wins because she doesnt sit back and try to restart rallies that should havebeen over 3 strokes ago. She comes into net on the first opportunity she gets. Serena didnt. venus needs to take the net away from Serena but i fear serena may be too confident after today and just take it to Venus' 2nd serve. Hope its a good match.

tennisfan1972
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:38 AM
hmmmm... on second thought. serena has major Blisters and is about to play a tough doubles match against an experienced doubles team. maybe this is Venus chance right here.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:39 AM
Kim's problem: the 2 nervous double faults the first time she attempted to serve out the match. She should have ended it there

vs1
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:23 AM
Always had a lot of respect for Kim. She is a REALLY nice girl and has a bright and promising future ahead of her (and she's achieved a ton already). I've seen her play three time (live) and she's ALWAYS gracious afterwards whether she wins or loses. And she thanks everyone who normally doesn't get recognition (ball boys & girls, for example). Kim's got grace and class.

But you're right. I was rooting for Serena today, but with the way Kim played her, my respect for her increased even more.

Congrats to both Kim & Serena!

MS
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:30 AM
I think Kim is a great player and a very nice person. I hope that she can be the world number 1 one day.

SM
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:58 AM
Shes gonna be contending for eveyrthing she enters this year. Very impresses with her progress in the past year, a marked improvement..:)

XMan
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:00 AM
Thanks eta psi.

I am a Kim-fan and I was at first very disappointed because of Kim's unexpected defeat. I feared that most of the Williams fans would again deny Kim's ability to be a threath to the Williams sisters and relate the score to a bad performance of Serena. But everyone who saw the match must have noticed that Kim wasn't overpowered at all, she has the ability to move Serena around and let her make unforced errors (who are not really "unforced"). Everyone needs to have respect for Kim now.