PDA

View Full Version : This crowd is a disgrace!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:25 AM
This whole week, the Aussie crowd has been pleasant, until tonight! Two thumbs down.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:26 AM
What did they do? booed serena when she was taking an injury time out?

sideout
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:27 AM
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that they love Kim, but gimme a break!

Blogger Dives
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:28 AM
They booed her for bad gamesmanship. She first took her full 90 second break, then at the end FINALLY asked for the injury time out and trainer. Had to get the trainer, and then took another injury time out for basically the same injury. Taking in all 9 minutes. They have the right to boo, considering how long she took and how it was just done to throw off Kimmy.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:29 AM
And someone in the crowd yelled at Serena to hurry up! That's so uncalled for!!!! Sickening!!!!

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:30 AM
Serena is my girl, but I'm going to have to differ. For once I think Serena almost deserved the treatment she got for bad sportsmanship, its not cool, even if she does win.

selesfan
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:30 AM
I agree! I love Kim but this is ridiculous. She took just as much time between serves as Serena. I was neutral in this match but now I want Serena to close this out.

gentenaire
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:33 AM
and just as Kim was serving someone yelled "wait wait"

Mattographer
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:37 AM
Maybe they're not Aussie people, huh? :rolleyes: You have no evidence, anyway.

Hurley
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:40 AM
Well...Serena's actions were a little shady...but I've seen a lot worse. If she hadn't have been playing Kim, though, she wouldn't have gotten all the shit she received.

Mitch01
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:48 AM
Well if she were playing anyone other than Kim in this match, I dont' think she would have been booed (as much). But I can understand why the crowd did get on Serena there.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:49 AM
Didn't you all see the freaking blister on her foot! She took a legitimate injury time out. Also you cannot take two time outs for the same injury! She took the second time out for something else, though I'm not sure what it was cause I had to run to the store. lol.

lala
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:50 AM
How can you say it was the same injury??? they showed it clearly on TV. The second injury was blisters on her toes!!! it was really disgraceful of the crowed to assume she was doing it to throw Kim off. I'll not be suprised if the williams give up tennis soon. Hell if I had to put up with such shity treatment in my vocation, I'd say to hell with it!!!!

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:54 AM
Wasn't her injury clear? Damn...does she have to break her leg to have a legitimate injury? her actions were clearly within the rules...if the other player is at such a disadvantage, then the rules would have been altered, or should. The display was sickening!!!

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:54 AM
Ah screw the crowd they dont matter anyway. Crowds don't win or lose matches. Players do.

GO SERENA GO KIM!!

disposablehero
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:57 AM
Turning the cell phones off wouldn't be a bad idea.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:00 AM
The crowds didn't bother Serena....probably Kim more than anything.

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:04 AM
and didn't kim break Serena after the Injury time out? They were just upset cause Kimmie blew it and they didn't know how to react to it so like always they take it out on the Williams sisters. All I can say is typical.

King Satan
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:07 AM
Gamesmanship = Strategy ;)

Chance
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:11 AM
I was disappointed with the crowd, I know they desperately wanted Kim to win as she is like an honorary aussie.... but still I didn't like it .

Venus had a lot more support and probably have more support in the final.

BTW - Serena took 2 injury time outs - first one was the blister on her foot the second one was on her toe- they were nasty

MarcusRock
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Beggin' Beguine
and just as Kim was serving someone yelled "wait wait" Um, that was Serena who asked Kim to wait. There was still some crowd noise as Kim was about to serve and Serena wanted Kim to wait.

theultimateone
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:44 AM
This crowd has not been good all week. What about the screaming of "out" on several occasions when Venus played Daniela?

Also, Shriver commented on Mary Pierce taking a 12-15 minutes injury timeout during one of her matches, but I don't recall the fans booing her. I think this crowds behavior towards Serena sucked. Especially since it was very evident that she had this HUGE blister on the ball of her foot. The trainer took more time to get to her than it should have taken, because they have been less than prepared to come out to the players when called.

This win was not pretty for Serena, but I am glad she came through after such treatment from the Aussie crowd.

vs1
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:51 AM
Also, THE TRAINER was the person taking time with the treatment. It wasn't like Serena was asking her to take a long time. The TRAINER could've done it quicker, if she thought it was safe. So really, it's ridiculous for the crowd to take it out on Serena. Whatever. She was certainly in pain, but she stepped it out. Taking hate and turning it into power.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:54 AM
I they were going to get mad at somebody, maybe they should have gotten mad at the girl who blew a 5-1 lead?

I don't see how an injury time out has anything to do with that.

G_Slammed
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:54 AM
Agreed ultimateone.

Jovon
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:55 AM
Good will always triumph over evil (crowd).

spudrsca
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:05 AM
The crowd should'nt have booed Serena but the trainer should have been quicker.
She should have done it in 5 minutes ant not 9.

Kirt12255
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:09 AM
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: I can see both sides of the story...yes Aussie crowds are very vocal, they love their sport? Is that such a bad thing? It's a big stadium and was very full...yes guess there is always a few bad eggs.

If the time out was within the rules then they need to be looked at....yes they had to be treated...we all saw the close up and it looked nasty as...but after 9 mins they would almost be due for a warm up! (Just Kidding).

It wasn't the delay or sportsmanship or whatever you want to call it that bothered me...just commentators blabbing crap waiting for her to get back on the court.:eek:

Lisbeth
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:12 AM
I don't agree with booing, ever, and I didn't see the relevant part of the match, but I would like to point out that the crowd may NOT have seen this evidently huge blister as they did not have the advantage of a close up such as on TV. Therefore it may have appeared she was inventing some injury for a rest. I still don't agree with booing though.

BigTennisFan
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:13 AM
They were wasting their time. If they had seen how Serena gutted it out against that sorry excuse for a crowd at IW they would have known that they were setting Kim up for the kill.:(

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:15 AM
Number1Kim, they were showing it on the big jumbo screen in the "park" I don't know if people in the stadium could see it or not. I don't know if their is a scoreboard screen in the stadium.

Maybe they didn't know. Maybe the umpire could've done a better job and announced the 2nd injury time out earlier.

BK4ever
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:15 AM
What I love most was how Serena still blew kisses at the crowd and waved all while they were booing her. Also notice how everyone in her box acted like the booing didnt even exist.

1jackson2001
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:17 AM
I like both Serena and Kim..and no matter what the result would have been, I wanted Venus to win in the final. But after the audience started to boo Serena, the more I wanted Rena to win! :p

Rocketta
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by BK4ever
What I love most was how Serena still blew kisses at the crowd and waved all while they were booing her. Also notice how everyone in her box acted like the booing didnt even exist.

I loved when they showed the highlight of her winning at Indian Wells. It was kinda like deja vu! ;)

victory1
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:22 AM
As soon as the booing started, it brought back painful memories, and I have to say, when Serena pulled off the win, I was happy that the people who did the booing got no satisfaction!! It was funny how the Williams family handled the booing, they act like it was not happening, so good for them!!

Dawn Marie
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:25 AM
The Aussie crowd was shitty at Serena and Kim. Kim was serving and some blokes started to yell out. Serena got stupid boos.

Anyway, Serena and Kim both chatted in the Lockeroom afterwards and are friends so the hell with the crowds.:)

Philbo
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:31 AM
I think Serena deserved a hurry up! The first injury time out was fair enough, that blister was HUGE!!! But she took a 2nd injury timeout for her 'ankle', although i didnt see any work on the ankle, I think it was cuz the trainer took ages with the blister...I can see both sides of the argument...it didnt look good..

the crowd obviously wanted Kim to win, given the underdog thing, the fact she is Lleytons girlfriend etc etc, but Serena got a very healthy cheer and round of applause at the end...

gentenaire
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:34 AM
Oh come on, Serena had every right to call the trainer! Those blisters look pretty bad, I had to turn away when the trainer was 'opening' them :eek:

That's what's injury time-outs are for. I didn't bother Kim, it didn't bother me.

Dawn Marie
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:37 AM
Nice post Tine:) Serena was in pain, Kim understood. Forget them crowds and the stupid media.

victory1
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:42 AM
Czechfan, the 2nd one was for the toe not ankle, it was considered a different injury since the trainer had to wrap it seperately.

I also turned my face when the trainer was opening them up, that was nasty looking. She really need to change her shoes beacuse those blisters were digusting.

All4Williams
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:11 AM
Serena is a champion. Period. No booing will stop this. All the more congratulations to Serena to pull this off.

Hurting, 5-1 down, booed you still won!!!

tennisvideos
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:21 AM
Some people booed, many people cheered. It wasn't all one sided. There's always a mixture of people in the crowd.. I recall a similar incident with Pat Rafter at the USO a few years back.... no big deal. He was above it. So is Serena. She has plenty of supporters here in Oz. It's only natural that a crowd is cheering the underdog, so that partly explains the enormous support for Kim. Plus she is the girlfriend of Lleyton .. makes her an honorary Aussie for many of us. ;)

Anyway, let's hope it's a great final between Serena & Venus.

TeeRexx
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:28 AM
SERENA was in pain from an injury, the close up of the injury was shown on a screen nearly two stories high, Kim understood the nature of the time out and had no problem with it, but those inbreeds in Crockland could not restrain themselves enough to cover their boorish personalities and enjoy a match that their fave was winning.

Thumbs down on the Crockers. :(

Informative
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:31 AM
Dawn Marie,

You're so right. Serena and Kim are not only great players but great women. To hell with the crowd and their asinine booing. They're the real losers.

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
those inbreeds in Crockland could not restrain themselves enough to cover their boorish personalities and enjoy a match that their fave was winning.

Yeah it's a shame just like in Indian Wells, California

Oh hello! :wavey: There's one!

anton
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:37 AM
The person who yelled "get on with it" when serena was bouncing the ball before her serve was out of line i think. it was a great match and I wish I would have been there.

tennisvideos
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:14 AM
BTW Tee Rex, that screen that is two stories high is not on centre court. Rather it is out in the Aussie Open grounds for people who are not in centre court to see. The crowd in centre court do not have any screen to see replays or close ups. I should know, I was only there a few days back...

And for your information, the Williams Sisters got an enormous cheer when they were playing doubles against Navratilova & Kuznetsova the other day. I was there for that too. They are very popular with many people here in Crockland - as you refer to it.

One should have their facts before shooting from the hip ;)

juggler
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:22 AM
SERENA was in pain from an injury, the close up of the injury was shown on a screen nearly two stories high, Kim understood the nature of the time out and had no problem with it, but those inbreeds in Crockland could not restrain themselves enough to cover their boorish personalities and enjoy a match that their fave was winning.

Thumbs down on the Crockers. :(

if u would be so kind to remove your head from your arse and know the facts before making such a statement

smally
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:06 AM
Those in Australia will know better if there's a screen in court or not but sometimes u see people waving and jumping when they're on TV as if they can see themselves. Well maybe not in Aus open. I've certainly observed it in other slams.

That not withstanding, the most important point to note is that Serena's injury time out had nothing to do with Kims loss cos it was at 2-1 down and Kim quickly raced to a 5-1 lead after that.

How i thank God for that.

TeeRexx
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:14 AM
TV - Maybe that could be said of the center court fans if they had no fact as well.
But they saw her being administered to so they knew it was real.

The were just being asses.

Juggler - Were you mom and dad related BEFORE they got married? :p

BasicTennis
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:26 AM
when the crowd started to boo Serena, I prayed to all angels to let her win the match in order to humble these self-centered bastards.:p

Experimentee
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:35 AM
The crowd was disgraceful today. Even if they couldnt see the injury they had no right to assume it was fake and no right to boo. At least cheer for Kim, but not boo Serena. The blisters looked very nasty and i hope that they wont be a factor in the final.

ajayares
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:36 AM
TV - Maybe that could be said of the center court fans if they had no fact as well.

Oh, so you are telling me that everyone in the crowd knew exactly what Serena's injury was :rolleyes:

Get a fucking clue, unless you think with every ticket sold you get a TV to watch the action aswell.

I don't agree with what went on, but don't think every single person was booing, infact they were more than likely not even from this country, but I just love how you get one or 2 morons in the crowd and that pretty much means everyone was doing it, in the minds of some people.

juggler
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:40 AM

The were just being asses.

Juggler - Were you mom and dad related BEFORE they got married? :p

No i was cloned.

You better check your parentage though. you will have to trace your history back through all of those trailer parks you have lived in to find which drunk was your father.

paul27
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:42 AM
If you think they're bad in Australia, just wait until Roland Garros!

the cat
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:54 AM
The injury timeout didn't help Serena at all. After the injury timeout she dug a deeper hole for herself to try to dig out of. And she came from way back to win because she has the heart of a champion! :D

Perhaps the boos should have been directed at Clijsters for the biggest grand slam choke job since Todd Martin blew his 1996 Wimbledon semifinal to Mal Washington! What a terrible loss for Clijsters. I just hope it doesn't hurt her in future big matches. Because she has proven she's the only real challenger to the Williams sisters.

Mase
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:31 PM
I mean with any sport there is going to be booing, it just comes with the job. Its just that it doesnt happen in tennis too often, thats why its a 'schock' when it does. Im not mad at the people for booing, tehy paid money to be there, that gives them the right to do whatever the hell they want..

And its obvious that it didnt affect Serena, so why even talk about it? If anything all Serena fans should MAYBE thank the crowd for tearing into her cause she sure turned her game around. So maybe it was a blessing in disgiuse.

There's been only a few choke jobs that Ive seen in my life, and this one is right up there with Martina last year.. obviously not AS BAD but very, very close to it. Good job Serena, you are a true champion, not matter what the haters say. You cant fuck with the stats.

Aloysius
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:40 PM
I think Serena has shown more class in handling the situation than some of her own fans. LOL.

Raisin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Mase
I mean with any sport there is going to be booing, it just comes with the job. Its just that it doesnt happen in tennis too often, thats why its a 'schock' when it does. Im not mad at the people for booing, tehy paid money to be there, that gives them the right to do whatever the hell they want..

I don't agree with you on this one. Just because you pay to be there doesn't give the right to do whatever the hell you want. Had she done anything wrong then it will be ok to say she deserved the booing, but not in this case. I guess you'll also say parche(sp) had the right to do what he did to Monica Seles because he paid money to be there:eek: :confused:

Mase
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:46 PM
Ok thats a really bad comparison, BOOING and stabbing. Cmon now, THINK before you type.

Should NBA and MLB fans not boo at people because it may hurt their feelings, and their fans. Again, cmon now.

Raisin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:53 PM
Mase you sound stupid. You said the fact that they paid to be there gives them the right to do WHATEVER they hell they want, which is not right. I suggest you do the thinking before typing.

And who said anything about NBA and MLB:confused: Geez I thought we were discussing Tennis:o LMAO.

Mase
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:59 PM
Ok pretty much here's the bottom line. Those people PAID to be there, to cheer for WHOEVER they want to. Now if they choose to BOO, thats completley up to them, they can express themselves HOWEVER they choose too. Im tired of OVERSENSITIVE fans that cry everytime someone is Booed at. I mean do I respect it, no. But do I really care? NO, Serena won thats all that I care about.

And yes, Raisin, this is a tennis board, thanks for the breaking news. I was confused there for a second. Whew. Tennis is a sport just like NBA, and just like MLB, which is why I was making something called a COMPARISON.

Raisin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Mase
Ok pretty much here's the bottom line. Those people PAID to be there, to cheer for WHOEVER they want to. Now if they choose to BOO, thats completley up to them, they can express themselves HOWEVER they choose too. Im tired of OVERSENSITIVE fans that cry everytime someone is Booed at. I mean do I respect it, no. But do I really care? NO, Serena won thats all that I care about.

And yes, Raisin, this is a tennis board, thanks for the breaking news. I was confused there for a second. Whew. Tennis is a sport just like NBA, and just like MLB, which is why I was making something called a COMPARISON.

See how you actually make sense when you take the time to THINK before typing.;) I'm all for support to a certain player and booing when its deserved and notice I never said anything about the booing just that I don't agree with you saying that those who pay to be there have the right to do WHATEVER they want to. So little one, I think you're the one who's OVERSENSITIVE:o

anton
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:12 PM
I think that guy had no right to shout "get on with it" before serena serves no matter if he paid or not.

Mase
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:12 PM
Ok well you have your opinion, and I'll have mine.. thats whats cool about message boards to get them out there. But Im pretty much done with this....

Picol
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:29 PM
Tell you a little story.

Now I am only a 13 year RN, so what I say will probably mean nothing to the know it alls on this board.

Considering the time of the wound, ala sweat soakened. I was amazed to still see the outer skin have a definate yellowish tinge to it. What does that mean? The Blister was 3 to 4 days old and the yellowish tinge is a definate indication of dead skin, made to look worse through sweat. Moisture had made the injury look a hell of a lot worse then it truly was. The only pain Serena was feeling was dead, dry skin, rubbing against a injury she hasn't allowed proper air to in the last few days. I guess you could call it a injury time out, but it was stretching the rule. Her second had no basis for what I could see and should of been dealt with in that manner. Did Serena cheat? Probably not in the first case, but probably in the 2nd

Volcana
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:39 PM
The crowd was fine. Partisan, sure. But the booing was neither everyone nor frequent, and only of short duration. And when Serena was making her comeback inthe fift, the crowd applauded every point she won. And gave a a very nice standing ovation when it was over.

Was the crowd partisan? Sure.

Was the crowd in any way 'over the line'? No.

One or two people yelled inappropriate things at inappropriate times. General booing, if kept with bounds, is just part of sports. This was definitely 'within bounds'. It didn't happen during points. Play was not disrupted. Serena wasn't all that pleased about, obviously, but if she hadn't blown the first set, she wouldn't have been out there in the first place.

tennischick
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:48 PM
holy cow, i agree with Volcana. yes the crowd was partisan -- i'm sure that both Kim and Serena expected nothing less. but they were also good sports and they gave Serena the ovation she deserved when she finally won. they were as electrified as we were.

regarding Serena's injury time-out (too many threads discussing the sane thing folks!), yes i agree that there was more than a bit of gamesmanship inthere. and if Kim allowed it to get to her, well then she knows what she needs to work on.

let's see if Serena dares to pull the same stunt against Venus in the final...:) :)

Mase
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:50 PM
Nice post Volcana... well said. And I truly think the boo'ing gave her motivation, I know it would me...

Janet
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:28 PM
You guys should know by know stupid crowd does not borther the sister people could boo and make noise all they want they just go their merry way win or lose!! they have come a far with sitution like this and it will happen again as long they are on tour (good thing they don't play too much touraments)..............Serena was a real champion and kim just could not dig deep down in her SOUL to close this match out that was the diffence serena is a fighter, kim said it herself in the press conference so all props goes to Ms.Serena Williams she give it all and hours later her & sister blew Lindsay&Lisa off the court in doubles "WOW" to make it to the doubles final (what history these 2 girls have made)......

ARealVenusFan
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:29 PM
Perfect post Volcana!

They booed, they couldn't tell what was wrong, from their standpoint it took too long.

Whether it was planned or just necessary from Serena, it was within the time allotted. She broke no rules. Kim won two games after that I believe.

Serena stepped it up, Kim had a let down.

AWF!!!!!

griffin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:33 PM
I agree with Volcana, they were definitely a partisan bunch, but with the exception of one or two loud-mouths I don't think they were out of bounds - and I don't think they got the gory details on Serena's feet like we did.

As to whether the blisters were a "stunt," I'm no RN, I have no medical training, but I HAVE seen blisters on my own feet (from hiking) and from that experience, yeah that blister could certainly be recent enough to cause significant pain - and that's before you consider what can happen if the tape and padding covering the blister start to roll or bunch (usually the result of getting soaked with sweat). The roll and bunch factor is also a damn good reason to let the trainer take the time to bandage the thing properly.

Clearly the umpire, who had a bird's eye view of the whole affair, felt it was legit.

usatennis1
Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:15 PM
READ THE RULES!!! There was no gamesmanship! Did you see the blisters on her foot? her toes? The showed the BLISTERS on TV and they were real.

She could have taken a bathroom break is she was into gamesmanship. Oh, silly me, the Williams are not allowed to have injuries. :eek: :eek: :eek:

persond
Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:18 PM
:D :D Actually, I am a retired Adult Nurse Practitioner, and from what I saw, there definitely could have been a problem for Serena!!! Yes, there was clear demarcation and hyperpigmentation due to the moisture, and the injury certainly was "old". However, the "rolled-up" bandaging would have the same effect as hyperkeratotic skin (callous) and be painful when pressure was exerted on the area. And, certainly the friction of the foot in the shoe would have also caused pressure on the affected area. Reducing and restricting movement due to pain. Cushioning is of course the treatment, and therefore the trainer applied a new doughnut pad over the site and retaped the area for support. Also, application of "dry socks" would also be effective.:) :)

The toes too, required re-taping over what looked like "blistered" areas as well. Although, I'm not a Podiatrist, I do feel the injury time-out was deserved and apparently the Chair Umpire concurred.!!!!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

LucasArg
Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by BK4ever

Yes, I remember a lot of people in crowd were standing celebrating Serena's victory and she looked so happy that those fools eat their own sh..:p ;)

Serena is a great champion:wavey:

Kart
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:01 PM
Injury time outs are there to be used and abused.

This was a case of the former IMHO.

Either way it's no big deal.

RAA
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:08 PM
sigh
well it did show some poor form that *some* people booed.
I was disappointed. honestly. but plenty others cheered.

I think the crowd was a bit uneasy - on the brink of a big win by their favorite, but obviously (more obviously now after the match is over) the result was not in the bag. with Lleyton out, Kim was their only hope. if roddick wins, it will be all americans in both the finals.. which is fine with me, but probably not such a happy scenario for other tennis fans..

Ma. Estefania
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by paul27
If you think they're bad in Australia, just wait until Roland Garros!

I agree Paul.:rolleyes:

The Crow
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:23 PM
Those idiots booing after such a match are surely a disgrace.

Mrs. Peel
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:32 PM
It's still amazing to me how some crowds think that booing will faze Venus or Serena. They have said time and time again they know how to shut the crowds out as usually they are not the favorite.

I was cleaning up while taping these matches, so the T>V was not always in my view. I knew that Serena was hitting winners in the 3rd set because you could hear a rat piss on cotton at the end of the point...ok...there was some scattered applause but not the roar of the crowd when she made an error or Kim won the point.

I am still in shock how Serena won that match! Imagine how the crowd felt. I was ready to give up at 5-1 but this is the trademark of the Willaims Sisters. As Mary Carillo said...their Old West style of playing...Die with your boots on...I have more admiration for them than ever:worship:

I just had my breakfast and everyone has reminded me of those nasty blisters...yuck! Thanks for breaking it down for us Persond!!!LMAO

I'm rooting for Venus to take home the title, though!

double0b**tch
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:51 PM
The best part was when Serena thanked them for rooting for her. They were so ashamed of themselves they gave her the best applause she had all day. Go figure as to why they did not applaud as loudly on any of her great shots.

It really is strange. I was reading another board where someone was saying, what are the Williams girls to do? Lose? They can't. Somebody's got to beat them. The stupid crowd shouldn't take this out on them.

The best answer is to keep winning and thier domination in the last two years is answer enough. Let the Aussie crowd put that up thier pipes and smoke it.

...you think you know me:fiery:

Hinault
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Blogger Dives
They booed her for bad gamesmanship. She first took her full 90 second break, then at the end FINALLY asked for the injury time out and trainer. Had to get the trainer, and then took another injury time out for basically the same injury. Taking in all 9 minutes. They have the right to boo, considering how long she took and how it was just done to throw off Kimmy.

I agree. Why do you think Kim is so popular in Australia?? Not only because she's the girlfriend of Lleyton but she's a nice person. Can you say the same thing about Serena????

supremeross
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:12 PM
Yes, Serena is a nice person and even Kim says so. My question is, if the Auzzies love Kim b/c she's dating LH, what happens to their opinion of her when she finally sobers up and realizes who she's been dating the past few years and starts dating some one else, will the Auzzies still love her?

Dawn Marie
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:29 PM
Persond, excellent breakdown.:)

Ok, I watched it again from 1/5 and they're were some small boos, but after it was over Serena was loudly cheered and had a standing ovation. I was also surprised to hear alot of COME ON SERENA's out there. Oz crowd booed a bit, but they were partial more then alot of AMERICAN crowds. Whoever was in the crowd hurt Kim on a few points, yelling out stupid things. Same with Serena.

After it was over Kim and Serena both chatted and are friends on the tour. :)

Venus Forever
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:54 PM
Totally despicable behavior from the crowd, I expected soooo much more from them. I'm very dissappointed in their reaction.

One note, did they boo Mary Pierce when she took a 15 minute injury break when playing Chanda?? Serena's was half of that.

Just terrible.

I don't believe they were all bad, but the one's who were should be totally ashamed at themselves for booing a person with a legitimate injury.

Tatiana Panova
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:58 PM
I've found the Aussie crowd an absolute disgrace at times, and a lot of other crowds around the world at times, and is highlighted when the Williams are playing. As popular as Venus and Serena are there are sections of the crowd who blatantly do not like them for whatever reason (the way they play? race?) and they make their feelings known, and anything that they do remotely questionable is pounced upon.

Serena had every right to take that time-out and at 2-1 down in the third set was totally legitimate.

I just get the feeling when Venus and Serena play that there is a sense of racism from some sections of the crowd, and it sickens me to the core.

GoDominique
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:59 PM
Why always "THE CROWD" ? I didn't hear 15.000 people booing.

100 maybe.

double0b**tch
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:15 PM
Oh please! Kim is nice because? Everybody says so? Who are the everbody? Sure, I think Clijsters is nice. She sounds and seems nice. Nice but stupid judging from her choice of man:D

Serena is also nice, but nobody likes a winner so people run around saying she's not nice. Ask the winner amongst winners, Sampras:worship: There was nothing he wasn't called during his dominant years from tennis fans to pundits to envious players..yet when the man started suffering the effects of the better part of a decade at the top, and losing to Joe Bloggs and his gardener, the warmth shown to the man from everyone..was unbelievable. People need to check within themselves as to why they cannot seem to identify with champions.

I like champions, consistent champions, not roller coaster champs, Serena is proving to be a consistent champion, but Venus will hopefully end her dreams come saturday:)The Williams girls in the face of provocation have smiled and waved thier way through victories. Indian wells amongst other tournies, Wimbledon last year, spring to mind. They stare it in the face, smile and applaud the crowd in thier speeches..now, whats not nice about that? You want her to buy you a cookie?:p

you think you know me:fiery:

"Topaz"
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Tatiana Panova
I've found the Aussie crowd an absolute disgrace at times, and a lot of other crowds around the world at times, and is highlighted when the Williams are playing. As popular as Venus and Serena are there are sections of the crowd who blatantly do not like them for whatever reason (the way they play? race?) and they make their feelings known, and anything that they do remotely questionable is pounced upon.

Serena had every right to take that time-out and at 2-1 down in the third set was totally legitimate.

I just get the feeling when Venus and Serena play that there is a sense of racism from some sections of the crowd, and it sickens me to the core. Humm ... something to reflect on here!

tennisvideos
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:22 PM
I totally disagree about the racism issue with the crowd....

Let's get a few things straight. First of all, only a small section of the crowd booed. It wasn't the entire crowd. There were a lot of people supporting Serena, it's just that there were more people supporting Kim. Why? Simple -

1 - she was the underdog
2 - she is Lleyton's girlfriend (so many look on her as an honorary Aussie)
3 - she comes across as incredibly sweeet and humble in her interviews etc
4 - many crowds want to see different players in the final (come on - this is the 4th successive slam that Serena & Venus will be meeting)

Serena seems like a great girl, but she is very confident in herself in interviews and on the court she shows a lot of attitude eg. her expressions and postures. She is the World Number one and the most dominating player. Of course a crowd (in general) is going to root for the other person. But Serena still had a lot of supporters - let's not forget that.

As far as racism goes - forget it! Evonne Goolagong was the MOST popular player ever to play in front of Australian crowds. And in case some of you young ones didn't know... Evonne is aboriginal and black. And the Australian crowds adore Chanda Rubin. So it's isn't the race card.... it's all about tennis domination, attitude and the fact that many people don't really want to see sisters playing each other in a final.

I do recall when Navratilova dominated the tour, many crowds were very obvious in their support for the opposition and there were also people booing her. Terrible yes, but it happened. And the same when Monica dominated in the early 90s. That's why I think a lot of this is tied to the domination factor.

Let's face facts - Serena is the World #1, Venus is the World #2. Many people don't want to see sisters competing against each other in Grand Slam Finals coz they want people who have more of a rivalry between them. Serena & Venus love each other - so where is the rivalry? They don't want to kill each other to win. I mean who would want to watch Maggie Maleeva play her sister Manuela Maleeva in a GS FInal? Not me that's for sure. But many people would LOVE to see one of the Williams sisters in a Final versus anyone else but the other sisteer because it's a genuine rivalry.

Sorry for rambling, and hope this makes sense as I am rushing a bit.

And don't start accusing me of being racist either, as I truly admire Serena & Venus and they are both up there as my favourite players along with Seles & Hingis. And Chanda is a fave of mine too. I am just being objective and trying to defend the majority of the Aussie crowd who were well mannered and supportive of both girls out there on the court. There was only a small section of idiots who booed. And that would happen anywhere around the world, not just here in Oz. I have seen far worse in a few tournaments in the USA that I have seen on TV.

Mase
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Nice post. :)

DiZZiA
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:27 AM
The crowd booed Serena at the end of the match..... Probably sick of the Williams-final............... :rolleyes:

Rocketta
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:39 AM
I coulda sworn I posted a response to tennisvideo?? :confused:

Anyway I said I don't remember anyone calling the crowd racist. I remember someone questioning if a select few have race as a reason to boo. Its not like Australia doesn't have a history of predjudice.

tennisvideos
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:29 AM
I think my point was proved today in the Womens Doubles Final when the Williams sisters got a tremendous ovation when they won the title, and were well supported all the way! BTW, from the clips I have watched from my tape so far it was a great match and congrats to Serena & Venus on their wonderful victory.

Craig :)