PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Belgians

caseyl45
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:39 AM
Do you think of Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne as being part of the same generation as Venus and Serena Williams, or do you think of them as being part of a younger generation?
Personally, I classify Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Hantuchova, etc. as a younger generation even though these players are close to Venus and Serena in age. Perhaps it's because these players have less experience. Venus and Serena feel like part of an older generation. What are your thoughts?

Josh
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:49 AM
Well it's weird, they are about the same age but Venus and Serena have been on the tour longer so they have a bit more experience. So uhm...I don't know lol

Blogger Dives
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:53 AM
Well I think Venus and Serena are part of the older generation on tour. Even though they are closer in age to Justine and Kim. It's just that the sisters enjoyed the fruits of winning before the other girls and we've heard about them so long it's like we know they are the older players on tour. While Kim and Justine have really just started their rise upwards in the past year and a half.

Hope that makes sense.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by caseyl45
Do you think of Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne as being part of the same generation as Venus and Serena Williams, or do you think of them as being part of a younger generation?
Personally, I classify Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Hantuchova, etc. as a younger generation even though these players are close to Venus and Serena in age. Perhaps it's because these players have less experience. Venus and Serena feel like part of an older generation. What are your thoughts?

I don't think in terms of generations, I think in terms of stages/sets [of players]

disposablehero
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:00 AM
I think they are a younger generation. I would put the players in 3 generations right now:

1. The Coezter-Davenport generation
2. The Majoli-S Williams generation
3. The Henin or younger generation

arn
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:03 AM
Yeah, I 'divide' the players in groups based on the first year they had with important results.

That's why I consider Serena and Venus coming from another generation.

Even Hantuchova is one generation younger to me in comparison with Kim and Justine!