PDA

View Full Version : Seles to play in Dubai?

tyk101
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:32 PM
This is good news, but I hope she doesn't overplay! I think she's is tryin to get back into the top 8 in preparation for the FO... good luck Monica.. and stay healthy

Seles as Dubai wild card entry?
Dubai |By A Sports Reporter | 22-01-2003

Former World No. 1 Monica Seles of the US may be given a wild card entry at the WTA-Sanex Dubai Duty Free Women's Open tennis tournament to be held at the Dubai Tennis Stadium in the third week of February.

A tennis source revealed to the Gulf News that Seles was one of the two players expected to receive a wild card entry by the organisers at this year's WTA Tier II tournament.

The Florida-based player, who turns 30 at the end of this year, was also a part of a highly-successful Dubai tournament last year. Seles has won an amazing 51 singles titles and another six doubles crowns on the Sanex WTA Tour in a career spanning more than 13 years.

This year's official entry list for the Dubai tournament is led by new entrant Jennifer Capriati along with Venus Williams, defending champion Amelie Mauresmo and Justine Henin-Hardenne, among others.

Henin and Williams have already entered the semi-finals of the Australian Open.

This is the third time that the women's WTA Tier II competition is being held in Dubai. Martina Hingis was the winner in the inaugural year, while Mauresmo inscribed her name on the winner's slot last year.

The WTA Sanex Dubai Duty Free Open will be held between February 17-22 under the patronage of General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Minister of Defence.

ColinB
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:36 PM
interesting as if everyone plays - she will only be the number 5 seed and could draw Venus in the quarters... Maybe Scottsdale would have been a better choice as only Serena and Clijsters are playing there who are higher ranked than Monica.

CJ07
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:46 PM
This is isnt final, so I'm not sure

ktwtennis
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:38 PM
Overplay? I don't think so...She had an extra week of complete rest after her ankle injury, and she's only playing the Pan Pacific after the Aussie Open. This is perfect preparation for the two big events in America--Venus in quarters or not. She should be inn fine form and fitness to possibly cause an upset!