PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Grand Slam semi final of all time?

TeeRexx
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Maybe not the greatest of all time, but more than likely one of the best in OZ. At any rate, few semi finals, men or women, has been as intriguing.

Look at the basis of the intrigue:

1. Two black women in the semis.
2. The black women are siblings
3. The siblings are both Americans
4. The siblings are ranked #1 and #2
5. Their opponents are both from Belgium
6. Their opponents are both white

Some of the possible results of the semi finals are:

1. The WILLIAMS could play each other for the 5th time in a slam final (record for siblings)
2. VENUS & SERENA will have played one another for the 4th consecutive time in a GS final. (a record)
3. VENUS could be the first player to lose 4 straight GS titles to the same person (a record she and I do not want her to have). :)
4. SERENA could hold all 4 GS titles and have a Career Slam.
5. Two Belgian women could play one another in a Grand Slam for the first time ever.
6. A Belgian woman could have a GS title for the first time.
7. A woman could be the first to consecutively beat VENUS & SERENA in the semis and finals of one Grand Slam event. (Please no) :)
8. VENUS could win and thus create a WILLIAMS family Career Slam. (I hope so).
9. A Williams could be the first to beat a Belgian woman in both the semis and finals of a Grand Slam (Not bad). :)

Whew! That is a lot of possibilities that can come to fruition after tonight's semi final matches.

This is, possibly, a prelude to a very good tennis season that will, hopefully, produce at least one GS title each for VENUS & SERENA and maybe one for one of those pesky Belgians (just not this GS title). :p

Go VENUS!!
Go SERENA!!

TeeRexx
:wavey:

TSequoia01
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:35 PM
This is the first GS that I can remember where I truly like all four players. This might be the most talented four players ever to meet in a tournament's semifinals. The Sisters and Belgians will remember Oz of 2003 forever. And so will I! :)

TeeRexx
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:39 PM
What you say may be quite true, TS.

May there be good health and play to all of the players.

wongqks
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:51 PM
great thread :)
good luck to all players :)

Deira
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:57 PM
Very exciting scenarios, Mr. Tee Rexx. The possibilities are awesome indeed. I'm hoping for #8 :) but I love 'lil sis too.

TeeRexx
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:59 PM
Deira - Damn, I sure want #8 to happen as well. :)

Cariaoke
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:03 PM
3. VENUS could be the first player to lose 5 straight GS titles to the same person (a record she and I do not want her to have).
wouldn't that be four since neither got to the aussie open finals last year?

but good post :D

TeeRexx
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:07 PM
cariosity - You caught a mistype and I will have my MSNBC copy editior's azz kicked for that error. :)

disposablehero
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:09 PM
White AND from Belgium? What are the odds?

Lisbeth
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:39 PM
Not to mention the odds of being siblings AND from the same country ... but yes, it's a very interesting round. Thanks for the thread.

selesrules
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:43 PM
Personally I think the 1991 US Open semis were superior

you had the battle of the old champions Navratilova vs Graf

and the battle of the young champions Seles vs Capriati

both semis ended up being classic 3 set battles, in fact the 2nd semi became a huge moment for women's tennis as it brought power tennis to the front.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by TSequoia01
This is the first GS that I can remember where I truly like all four players. This might be the most talented four players ever to meet in a tournament's semifinals. The Sisters and Belgians will remember Oz of 2003 forever. And so will I! :)

I totally agree

jean_genie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Hinault
I don't understand how it is possible you can be a fan of those ugly sisters. They are unfriendly and in Australia no one likes them;
Go Juju and Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The world wants you to beat the sisters.

:fiery: How unfortunate and telling it is that you choose to make your very first post not a memorable one cheering on a great matchup in the spirit of this thread, rather one spewing venom and ignorance. Belgium is ashamed of you, I'm sure. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Jericho
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Hinault
I don't understand how it is possible you can be a fan of those ugly sisters. They are unfriendly and in Australia no one likes them;
Go Juju and Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The world wants you to beat the sisters.

i really hate posters like you who seem to be so ignorant:rolleyes:

spencercarlos
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:15 AM
I rather the 1992 WImbledon Semi. The 4 best players of that time there Seles, Graf, Martina and Sabatini. Too bad :p Steffi destroyed 6-2 6-1 Monica in the final and routed Gaby in the semis 6-3 6-3

TeeRexx
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:34 AM
To the limited minds:

1. There are Belgium citizens who are NOT white.
2. There are diblings who are citizens of DIFFERENT countries.

But, some of us would even find negativity in heaven.

TeeRexx
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:59 AM
Option #5 in both catagories has been eliminated. :)

TeeRexx
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:16 AM
Options #5, 6 & 7 have been ELIMINATED it seems! LOL :)

go SERENA!!
Go VENUS!!

Hi Richard Williams! :wavey: