PDA

View Full Version : Seles as Dubai wild card entry?

GogoGirl
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:45 PM
I wonder if they'll ride the camels again and dress up?

http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/news.asp?ArticleID=74776

Seles as Dubai wild card entry?
Dubai |By A Sports Reporter | 22-01-2003
Print friendly format | Email to Friend

Former World No. 1 Monica Seles of the US may be given a wild card entry at the WTA-Sanex Dubai Duty Free Women's Open tennis tournament to be held at the Dubai Tennis Stadium in the third week of February.

A tennis source revealed to the Gulf News that Seles was one of the two players expected to receive a wild card entry by the organisers at this year's WTA Tier II tournament.

The Florida-based player, who turns 30 at the end of this year, was also a part of a highly-successful Dubai tournament last year. Seles has won an amazing 51 singles titles and another six doubles crowns on the Sanex WTA Tour in a career spanning more than 13 years.

This year's official entry list for the Dubai tournament is led by new entrant Jennifer Capriati along with Venus Williams, defending champion Amelie Mauresmo and Justine Henin-Hardenne, among others.

Henin and Williams have already entered the semi-finals of the Australian Open.

This is the third time that the women's WTA Tier II competition is being held in Dubai. Martina Hingis was the winner in the inaugural year, while Mauresmo inscribed her name on the winner's slot last year.

The WTA Sanex Dubai Duty Free Open will be held between February 17-22 under the patronage of General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Minister of Defence.

Holmespinlove
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:52 PM
Oh yea.. williams you girls know you bad ... :devil:

lizchris
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:57 PM
Wasn't Serena entered?

Linnie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by GogoGirl
I wonder if they'll ride the camels again and dress up?
That's the Doha tourney, which is the week before this one. Here, they only ride Jaguars ;)

No, Venus is playing this one. She played here last year, too.

paul_masterton
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:48 PM
wonder what will happen and USA get their way adn start bombing everything in site.

Plus, seeing as most of their bombs miss by hundreds of miles, wouldn't be suprised to see the tennis arena hit despite the fact its in a totally different country adn in no way resembles an arms factory ;)

But seriously, will USA players make the trip? They seem to be far more precarious than everyone else.

ttaM
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:28 PM
I'm sure Monica will play. She kept playing after 9/11. But she better watch out for them bombs that will land hundreds of miles off course :rolleyes:

CJ07
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:56 PM
Glad Monica realizes that she needs to play

tough crowd though

Jarrett
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:15 PM
Hell no, she won't go! ;) I hope she does well in that packed field.

fammmmedspin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:05 AM
I suspect the only packed thing about this tournament will be the sky above dubai as half the American airforce flies over an empty stadium on its way to Iraq.

ktwtennis
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:36 AM
GO MONICA!!! I knew she'd ask for a WC!!! Defend some of those points!!!!!