PDA

View Full Version : Posters living through their favourites

GoDominique
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:02 PM
Is anyone else annoyed by posters who feel the need to act arrogant and cocky just because they happen to be (so-called) fans of top-ranked players ?
And when that player wins or shows good personality or says/does something classy, these posters credit it to themselves, claiming THEY are great or classy. But the truth is that they don't have a life.

These people should try out rooting for a low-ranked player. That would teach them humbleness and being happy about small things. And the risk of getting devastated/embarassed is much lower.

gentenaire
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:17 PM
hear hear!

Every time a discussion ends with "I'll let the tennis do the talking" I get frustrated. Where's the world going if a tennis match has to decide who's right and who's wrong? If player A wins, that doesn't mean the fans of player A are suddenly right.

irma
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:20 PM
I'll let the tennis do the talking

I guess I missed that

are there players on this board?

Calvin
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:46 PM
omg, only yesterday i thought of starting a thread like this one! :D
"ill let the tennis do the talking" ive heard it sooo often and every time my stomach turns!

i am not a Hingis fan, but i also can't stand when a Martina fan enters a (non-martina related) discussion, some posters always have to go "btw, hows martina doing lately" or some similar things like Jen's first round loss! So coz you're fave is doing great you should be right all the time? :confused: I have much more respect for people who cheer on less talented players, as its much harder! Anyone can be a Williams-fan (or even a Belgians-fan ;) ), they win all the time! People that admire a lesser player usually have a much tougher time, but certainly know just as much (or even more) about tennis than the big-players faves...

(I preferred cheering for Dominique as you never knew what she was gonna do, she could win/lose to anybody, before she retired i started to follow Kim (before she was famous), but somehow the passion is gone, as she wins more matches now, weird huh)

Caz
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
I totally agree!

But, also IMO supporting lower ranked players is great!! ;) You are rarely disappointed, but often pleasantly surprised!!! Take this years AO for example; I was fully expecting all my faves to have lost by 2nd or 3rd round at best, then Vivi's draw opened up and she made the quarter finals. I wasn't at all sad when she lost to Justine, it was only to be expected, I was just thrilled for her to have had such a great tournament. :D And of course there's still Vivi and Paola in the women’s doubles, (well, that was to be expected), Etlis and Rodriguez in the men’s doubles semi finals and Patricia Tarabini nearly won a match!!! :eek: :D

I've supported top ranked players too, (Martina Navratilova and Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario), and while that was fun and I have some fantastic memories, it's far less stressful and far more fun supporting players for whom you have absolutely no expectations - you can be happy when they do well, but there's never really any reason to be sad when they lose!!! :D

Fingon
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:56 PM
Go Dominique

I agree 100%

Crazy Canuck
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:59 PM
Are you trying to tell me that I didn't make the finals of the French Open last year?

Wow.

That really hurts Go Dom :(

ARealVenusFan
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:22 PM
It's about time that someone on this board got "REAL."

As much as I love V&S, I know that they couldn't give a care about me and my every day life. It's the same with all the filthy rich tennis players. I don't begrudge them their millions and millions, but they don't take as seriously their battles with each other the way the posters on this board do.

Think about the facts: The losers of the semifinals of 2003 AUOpen receive $281,962.00 USD. Do you think their going around calling each other names and losing sleepless nights? They just go home and get ready for the next big payday.

Take a chill pill all. Let's not take ourselves so seriously.

This should be all in good fun.

:wavey:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
LOL Becca!

Um, but it is also always nice, starting out a fan of a lower ranked player and being witness to them rise in the rankings. I mean, sometimes, you have to shout it to the world!

catkey94
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:37 PM
I am so glad that someone started this thread. I too get tired of people taking this stuff too personally. The reality is that when it is all said and done, they collect their checks and move on. I say until they start paying my bills and giving me some of the money, I am not going to take too much of this too seriously either. I have my favorites, but I am not going to get caught up in the drama.

kiwifan
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Mrs_Guga
LOL Becca!

Um, but it is also always nice, starting out a fan of a lower ranked player and being witness to them rise in the rankings. I mean, sometimes, you have to shout it to the world! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Look at this thread, and you wonder why some Williams fans have an "us against the world" mentality?

First of all I must confess, I am a Williams Sister fan. I am a well adjusted human being with a great job that allows me to see the world and dwell amongst the beautiful people of Hollywood.

I have even been to Belguim (sorry just passing through) and even had a female Belgian friend (had the biggest smile and biggest boobs in school) in college so "some of my best friends are __________"

I actually think I am having a better life than the Williams Sisters (fame is only fun when the world isn't watching) and don't live through them (or the Dallas Cowboys or the New Zealand All Blacks or the US and Dutch National Soccer Teams). I am pretty cocky about my own tennis, soccer, rugby, etc. game (played them all in college and play them to this day) and am not exactly sitting in the arm chair determining my mood by anyone's tennis results (well I could get a little testy after a Connors loss to McEnroe or a Chris loss to Navrat but I was young).

I think you are all being a tad phony. You are all happy when your faves win, sad when your faves lose and defensive when your faves are criticized.

If some of you didn't cheer so hard against them all the time, "cocky" Williams fans would have a lot less to say.

I recall when I first started reading this board, a full six months before I ever posted, all I read was how Venus and Serena couldn't win on clay; didn't understand how to play tennis "properly" (mainly from certain Chucky fans) and shockingly enough "had no class" (along with Big Lyndsay, they are the most well rounded and media savy women on the tour).

I have seen many posters list the dozens of reasons why they hate the Williams sisters; how crazy is that? TruefoO0Ool was the funniest, with his obsession with tiaras and victory twirling.

So Sister fans flipped the script in the last year by pointing out that if the Sisters are hated for being arrogant, why do you like Chucky, if the Sisters have no class why do you like J Cap, if the sisters just hit hard what are your faves doing that's so special and different?

Glass houses?

I don't think Williams fans have anything against the Belgians, but if everyone is cheering for the Belgains to knock off the sisters then guess what, we will cheer for the sisters to knock off the Belgians.

The more they won the less their detractors had to say. It went from specific critiques to, they win too much and its bad for the sport.

Boo f'in Hoo...

Sounds like a sour grapes thread to me.

Quit whining and enjoy the tennis.

I'm sure if Kim or Henin win, your voices will be heard and suddenly it will be okay to cheer again.

Of course you can all prove me wrong and keep silent whatever the results...

...not likely huh? You will crow if the Sisters lose and you will whine if they win.

It escapes me that "let the tennis do the talking" would be offensive to anyone.

Its professional tennis.:cool: :cool: :cool:

The sisters are making history and its beautiful thing.

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:56 PM
well said kiwi!

GO USA!!!

gentenaire
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:04 PM
Kiwi, I think you missed the point of this thread. This is not about loud cheering, this is not about being happy when your fav wins, it's about feeling better than others because your fav wins, it's about fans who think fans of lower ranked players are fools, who think that if their fav loses, they lose.

When I say that Kim might beat Serena, and Serena wins, then Serena fans are calling me a fool, stupid, say I was wrong. Never mind that I wasn't wrong at all, 'might' is not the same as 'will'. The outcome of a match won't make me go back on my views. The outcome of a tennis match doesn't determine who's right and who's wrong.

persond
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:05 PM
:D :D Terrific post Kiwifan,

I couldn't of said it better!!! The complainers seem to forget that we really suffered alot of hatred from the moment the Sisters started the tour. We as fans, and the Sisters as players, were constantly targeted for insults from the fans of those players who were currently on top. Now, the tables have turned and guess what. Same old shit. Different day, though, but SOS!!!

Thanks again for a great post!!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Rocketta
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:05 PM
Kiwifan--great post. :)

I always thought let the tennis do the talking meant that your favs will settle on the court who is better, who is the hottest, who has the best serve, and so and so forth. I never once thought that to mean that a fan has any say so or thought they did in the final outcome.

hollywood7172
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:16 PM
i am hurt and upset when you don't like my faves.
so i will hurt you the same way when i can.
i will laugh when your faves lose.
and i will rub my faves victories in your face.
and i will be upset if you are too happy when your faves win.
and i will take these losses and wins personally.
i will turn watching tennis and admiring players into weapons for personal attacks.

most of the time, that's what this board is about. it really gets a little depressing. sometimes i wonder how many people actually see thru all this shit, and just enjoy the board for its good moments, however rare.

i just hope what goes on in this board isn't a true reflection of society. so much hate, so little compassion. i PRAY that most posters here are just children, and that one day they will grow up, and realize how stupid they were.

ot1962
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:31 PM
Guys, Guys!
Everybody want to believe their favs are the best and WILL them on to win every match they play.

I have alway thought "Let the tennis do the talking" is one of the most candid ways of settling debates, arguments etc.

And, by the way, a lot of us started supporting Venus (and Serena) when they were taking some whooping from Martina and Lindsay (Venus only!)

People are being phoney here!! Outrageous CLAIMS have been made over a period on this board, and the Sisters have always dismantled the claims. If you claim "Serena is not gonna reach the qtrs of the FO, let alone win it because she is just all power, not consistent etc., and Woe and Behold! She meets her sister (who is also supposedly not GOOD on clay) in the Finals", people have the ordained right to call you upon it! That's only human.

This board is there for debate argument, agreement, celebration over wins, crying over losses.

Anyone on this board is INVESTING and DEVOTING some of their time to tennis (mainly through their favs etc.)...

Hulet
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by GoDominique
Is anyone else annoyed by posters who feel the need to act arrogant and cocky just because they happen to be (so-called) fans of top-ranked players ?
And when that player wins or shows good personality or says/does something classy, these players credit it to themselves, claiming THEY are great or classy. But the truth is that they don't have a life.

Alright, a few points here.
1) You feel to forget that the main attraction of any spectator sport is the chance it offers the fans to escape in the role of the players. There is nothing unnatural with the fans identifying with the player or with thinking they are part of the sports team. When I and my friends argue about any professional team we support, we think of the team as ours. My arsenal.;) Your raptor;) Why is that irritating or unnatural?
2) The only posters who associated the classiness of a player with their own are kim's fans. Often, you hear them post "I am glad I am the fan of the classy clijster" or "kim's fans are as classy as kim". They are the most obsessed set of fans with the classiness of kim. And kim's fan don't irritate me.
3)"...they don't have a life". How in the world can you determine whether one has a life or not based on your few minute interaction with them on the message board? I am sorry but this is the dumbest thing I ever read.

These people should try out rooting for a low-ranked player. That would teach them humbleness and being happy about small things. And the risk of getting devastated/embarassed is much lower.
You know what irritate me. Those "holier-than-thou" fans who dare to tell me when, how and which player I have to support. You are happy with supporting lower ranked players and teams. If you enjoy it, fine. That is the goal of watching sport. Why the f@ck do you care that I root for higher-ranked player or not? Do you see me trying to convert you into supporting higher ranked players?

:rant over:

Gallofa
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:10 PM
Geez, I think plenty of you are missing the point. It's not about supporting high ranked or low ranked players, or about having a wonderful life (*ahem* thanks for filling all of us in, kiwifan! lol) but about having a bit of perspective. *We* do not win or lose when they win or lose.

Live and let live and all that.

A bit of respect for posters and players alike.

kiwifan
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:29 PM
Tine, you and Lynx say "might" as individuals, not everyone does. Do you have any quotes of people saying that you as individuals are stupid?

Remember you've got a lot of haters in your camp these days.

Sometimes there is collateral damage.

From Naldo: "Serena is such a looser. whenever the same question pops up,she's all like ugghh i don't wanna nswer that question againt. just go look it up in a nother transcript. WHAT A BITCH. u don't see Andy Roddick say that when they've asked him prob 300 timesnow,he always answers it and jokes about it because they alweays ask him. they never askher the same question all the time and that question hasn't even been asked to her not even more than 25 times,so i don't know wtf is up her ass. she should just be polite and answer it again. i mean she doesnt have to break out inot a wholestory, jusy keep it to a 1 liner answer. i mean Andy's a pro at answering *that* question and he doesnt get pissed of like Serena did, he just jokes about it. she should be happy and not pissed off beause she's gonna get a hell of a lot more q's like that pretty much forever"

Its stuff like this that makes me want to be "less that nice" to everyone who roots against the Sisters and the players they support.

Why wouldn't a fan of Serena feel defensive on these boards?

Why wouldn't the same fans laugh at the posters that are so full of venom?

Everyone is quick to talk about bad Williams fans, but I just see it the other way around. I know its not you but this crap doesn't exist in a its own special compartment. We Sister fans take crap everyday on this board; winning makes it all feel better.

If people don't like us enjoying our wins; too bad.

gentenaire
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:37 PM
Those aren't fans, those are anti-fans. Those are people who root against the Williams sisters not for Kim.

I don't count anti-Kim people as Williams fans.

It's okay to enjoy your wins, it's not okay to gloat! It's not because the sisters win that you're right and we're wrong! That's what this is about.

gentenaire
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:50 PM
the Williams fans I talk about are those who post a lot and who generally post in eachother's threads saying "well said", "couldn't agree more", etc.
Certainly not all Williams fans are the same, I'm talking about those who are the most vocal.

What I mean with that sentence is the following:iIf there's an argument, and someone says "I'll let the tennis do the talking", this basically means you'll let the tennis match decide who was right in the argument and who was wrong. That's rubbish, IMO.

"Is Kim overhyped?". If she wins tonight she's not, if she loses, she's overhyped, that's what people here seem to say. Rubbish! The hype is happening NOW! This tennis match won't change that. I think the media is hyping her, the fans aren't. We all realise Serena's the clear favourite, I've had many discussions with Kim fans and most expect another W/W final. We do hope Kim can pull off the upset! The thing is, that with all the fights going on, and with the way people say "I'll let the tennis do the talking" we fear that tomorrow we'll be laughed at once again if it turns out Kim lost. And I don't see why we should be laughed at! We're simply hoping Kim will win, that's all. We're confident because she's been playing well and we don't want others to put her down, to call her wins fake. But somehow, rooting for the player who lost is 'wrong'.

There's that thread where people who hope for an all Belgian final are 'wrong'. This isn't about wrong and right, you see. It's just about cheering who you want to win, for whatever reason.

arn
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:00 PM
Well said Tine! :)

Hulet
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Beggin' Beguine

"Is Kim overhyped?". If she wins tonight she's not, if she loses, she's overhyped, that's what people here seem to say. Rubbish! The hype is happening NOW! This tennis match won't change that. I think the media is hyping her, the fans aren't. ...

I don't think that is rubbish. Sure, the hype is happening now and everything. But, whether it is "overhype", the right amount of "hype", or "underhyped" is determined after the fact. There is no way one could tell with certainity that if she is overhyped to beat serena right now. But, after the match, I will for sure know, based on the result, if the media was decieving me or not. Yes, I would wait until "the racket does the talking".:o

ot1962
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:20 PM
So....
Let's "Let the Racket do the talking"!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

paul_masterton
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:26 PM
go adn support teh Brits.

99% of the time its very depressing (Snyder bt Ahl 6-2 6-2 today - pathetic) but once in a while it gets great (Dokic bt Ahl 7-6 6-4 or Ahl bt Prakusya 6-3 6-3)

All these people whose favs win all the time - that makes u feel crap right?

Well imagine supporting some1 that loses all the time and then wins. That is sucha great feeling, especially when they call u after it (jeje - but i think that's just lucky lil' me)

Fingon
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:34 PM
kiwifan, you are very right.

However, I think the point of this tread, unless the way I understood it, is that some fans get cocky about their favourites' achievements.

It's allright to be happy, I am happy when Justine wins, but I keep in mind that her achievements are herachievements, not mine

by the tone of some fans, and I am not saying you, or Williams fans, just fans in general, including Justine fans, it sound like when their favourite wins a match or a tournament is the fan's accomplishment, and it's always the player.

One thing is to cheer for your fave, even get defensive if they are attacked, and another is to get cocky because she wins, at the end, Venus, Serena, Justine, Kim and all the others are the ones working hard, the ones with the tennis ability and the ones that cash the cheques, not their fans.

rated_next
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:49 PM
Fingon: nicely said

GoDom: excellent thread :)

My fav player is Tatiana Poutchek, and I am thrilled every time she wins a match. ;)

Deira
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:30 PM
This thread reminds me of how many commentators are always trying to tell the other players "HOW TO BEAT THE WILLIAMS SISTERS" all through the broadcasts of their matches. Mary Carillo(sp?) is a particular "expert" and Pam Shriver seems to have joined the club. I doesn't work!!! You can't tell somebody how to play over a television. And you can't tell somebody how to celebrate their fandom over a message board. If a thread irks you and doesn't appeal to you, don't read it ... move on. But don't get bent outta shape cause someone else is enjoying themselves because of their fav.

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:39 PM
Great reply kiwifan.

I would like to say that this thread has got to be one of the dumbest amongst thread topics that I've ever seen on this board. How in the hell can you tell someone how they should celebrate someone else's achievements? Have people in this world become so selfish and greedy that they cannot be happy for someone else doing well in life? Please explain to me why it's wrong for people to be happy when they're favorites win a match or a big tournament. Sincerely, I don't think there's anybody here who lives their lives through their favorites. We ALL come here from time to time, some more than others, to express our opinions about tennis and the players whether it's good or bad. But nobody's life revolves around their favorite. Everybody here has a life of their very own that they are responsible for. Just because fans are vocal on this board and tend to praise a player's accomplishments doesn't mean they wish they were them or they wish they had their lives. It's what being a fan of a player or team is all about. Don't pretend that you aren't happy and have gloated at some point about one of your favorite teams or players winning something special, because that's bullshit. Oh, and to set the record straight....Venus just started winning GS titles in 2000, but she's been on the pro tour since 1994. I didn't just start liking her yesterday. I've watched her transform into what she is today and I feel that I am totally justified in cheering for her as well as coming to her defense on this board. I am not the type of person who is too proud to cheer for my fav's success
simply because she's not closely related to me or she doesn't know me. I will never understand why some people feel that I, or anyone else, should. At the end of the day, I have my own life, I love my life, and I certainly don't live my life through anyone else. But I will always cheer for my favorite players to be successful in the sport they play as well as in life.

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:50 PM
Well said Deira!!:)

Venus and Serena are my favorites. I LOVE tennis and I LOVE V@S as sports figures in America. When they win I am happy for THEM and for MYSLEF as a fan.

GoDomi fans of players have been gloating and and living somewhat through their favorites since the beginning of tennis. I remember when Hingis would win everything and how her fans would LIVE so to speak thru her achievements. Steffie and Monica fans too.

Thread should be called:

*POSTERS LIVING THROUGH OTHER POSTERS WHO LIVE THRU THEIR FAVORITES* He he:)

ot1962
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
Thread should be called:

*POSTERS LIVING THROUGH OTHER POSTERS WHO LIVE THRU THEIR FAVORITES* He he:)

Let me get this Straight Dawn...
Are you saying GoDom is, in a "secondhand" way, living through Other posters favs?;)

I thought living thru your OWN favs is BAD enough!;)

kiwifan
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:26 PM
Since I rarely get the opportunity to say this...

...Cheers Fingon.

Tine, support your girl.

You have my WTAworld respect and if necessary empathy.

Now, LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

I am about to start avoiding this site right now, just in case the matches aren't live. I want to feel the pain, the doubts and hopefully the unbridled joy of my faves making their dreams come true (not mine, theirs).

Martian KC
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:39 PM
My thoughts exactly GoDom and Fingon.:angel:

Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Beggin' Beguine
Those aren't fans, those are anti-fans. Those are people who root against the Williams sisters not for Kim.

I don't count anti-Kim people as Williams fans.

This is totally true. Just take a look at some of the scoring threads. After LA there were so many people there hanging shit on Serena. Up until this point, they had never shown any support for Kim.

GoDominique
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:46 PM
Wow, I'm shocked about the amount of misunderstanding taking place here. :eek:

First of all, with 'top-players' I'm not referring only to the no. 1 and 2. So why kiwifan felt the need to bring the name 'Williams' into this thread is beyond me.

From HAIL-VENUS' post:

Have people in this world become so selfish and greedy that they cannot be happy for someone else doing well in life? Please explain to me why it's wrong for people to be happy when they're favorites win a match or a big tournament.

LOL. Where did I say that you can't be happy ?
There is a difference between being happy about your favourite's win and being happy that your 'enemies' on the board were wrong and 'have to eat their words now', even if they only said something like 'I think xxx has a good chance to win'.

But nobody's life revolves around their favorite.

Are you sure about this ? :rolleyes:

To eta psi:

1) Tennis is an individual sport. That's a huge difference. Still I would never say 'my xxx' about a team. But that's not the point of the thread anyway.

2) Why do you bring up player names ? And there are other alleged personality characteristics which are adopted. 'Classiness' was just an example.

3) They don't have a life because they use the achievements of a tennis player to feel superior.

And don't get me wrong: You can be fan of whoever you want, whether it's the no. 1 or no. 1000. What I said in my initial post is only applying to a minority of the posters anyway. And for THOSE, following a lower-ranked player would help to put everything into a better perspective.

Tine:

"Is Kim overhyped?". If she wins tonight she's not, if she loses, she's overhyped, that's what people here seem to say. Rubbish! The hype is happening NOW! This tennis match won't change that. I think the media is hyping her, the fans aren't. We all realise Serena's the clear favourite, I've had many discussions with Kim fans and most expect another W/W final. We do hope Kim can pull off the upset! The thing is, that with all the fights going on, and with the way people say "I'll let the tennis do the talking" we fear that tomorrow we'll be laughed at once again if it turns out Kim lost. And I don't see why we should be laughed at! We're simply hoping Kim will win, that's all. We're confident because she's been playing well and we don't want others to put her down, to call her wins fake. But somehow, rooting for the player who lost is 'wrong'.

Very well said ! :D

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:54 PM
Ot1962.. YES! To answer your question.:)

*JR*
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:31 PM
I won't use the "inyaface" style anymore, BUT: the truth is that the Anna fans are doubly guilty (yes, I KNOW what she did in the 90's, her potential, etc. but also the results and the 0 for 120). @ least the other "camps", whether Venus, Serena, Monica, Juju, etc. are based on tennis achievement. (For the record Chanda Rubin and - talk about underdogs, Denisa Chladkova, are my 2 faves).

tennischick
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:02 AM
posters who take their faves so seriously that they attack others who have a different opinion, seriously need to get a life.

"i am not the player. i am just a fan. and this is just a tennisboard..."

repeat ten times...;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:06 AM
Great thread topic Go Dom :)

servenrichie
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:17 PM
*YAWN*
Great posts Kiwifan, Eta Psi, Joy, Rocketta, HAIL-VENUS

Dumb thread!

The drivel continues...

GoDominique
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by servenrichie
Dumb thread!

Well, I have never claimed to be able to reach the the classiness and quality of your replies. I try my best, though. :sad:

kiwifan
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:35 PM
"I am about to start avoiding this site right now, just in case the matches aren't live. I want to feel the pain, the doubts and hopefully the unbridled joy of my faves making their dreams come true (not mine, theirs)."

Wow, I didn't want quite that much "pain and doubt" but boy did it lead to unbridled joy!!!

Scotso
Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:15 PM
Well said, Go Dominique.

"Topaz"
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by tennischick
posters who take their faves so seriously that they attack others who have a different opinion, seriously need to get a life.

"i am not the player. i am just a fan. and this is just a tennisboard..."

repeat ten times...;) Right on! Don't you notice, Tennischick, some posters live on this message board. That's their playground, their main job in life, the place where they define themselves, the forum where they get listened to. It's their fiefdom and they attack anything that lies in their way, be that players or fans. Boy! Unfortunately, I've seen it in most fan groups in here. :o

I have to admit that people have the right to live whichever way they want as long as they remain within the rules! What else can I say?

Rae Q.
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:02 PM
I totally don't see anything wrong to being happy that you fav's won. Yeah it's not really cool to rub it in ppl's faces and what not but that's just part of sports. Ppl are always trash talking and for me it can be annoying sometimes and funny as hell other times. When you fav player or team wins it's a lot like saying "so there!" to your rival. It doesn't mean you're right and they're wrong or that you're better than the and what not but then at the same time it's nothing to take so seriously if the winning side decides to do some friendly showing off.

GoDominique I'm gonna be real with you. It totally cracks me up that you started a thread called "Posters living through their fav's" because your own username is that of a tennis player so it's kinda like your living through Dominique. ;) :o

servenrichie
Jan 24th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Well said Rae Q. !

These kind of topics come up, when Venus & Serena reach a new milestone. Had one of them lost, the celebration topics would be allover the boards and i guarantee you, we wont be discussing this topic.

I live my life outside of this board and i love besides other things Tennis, football, atlethics and yes i have my favourite players and teams, and yes it gives me joy when my favourite player or team win. Does it mean i am living thru them, NOPE!

Personal attacks comes, when some of you who shall remain nameless here, but who live their 'lives' only through attacking and insulting people they havent even met (simply because they cant stand them, whatever)and cry wolf, when somebody else tells them off. It is quite easy, dont throw stones if you are living in a glass house.
BTW, i promise to continue attacking 'personally' all those who 'live' their lives through attacking people they dont even know, but who happens to be my favourite team. And you know why, i damm love the joy they bring to me when they win!
It is called entertainment.

Also, core venus and Serena fans ( I believe the starter of this thread had them in her mind, when she started this thread and infact it isnt the first time this topic has been brought up. The Williams fans have been accused of being the root of all evil in this world) have been their fans, before they even started winning titles. There is something about them haters will never understand...

Sam L
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by kiwifan
If people don't like us enjoying our wins; too bad.

Our? :confused:

Anyway, I don't have a problem with people living their lives through their favourites. You know this happens not just in tennis but also in many other sports. Have you seen some of those English soccer fans? It even happens with some women with celebrities/soaps etc..

IMO, if you're happy, you're happy, whatever works in your life. It's too short to worry whether someone's living through someone's life or whether you are or not.

I say this: there are better things to be fighting about in life.

BrianII
Jan 24th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Agree with Servenrichie,......It pretty obvious what this thread is about the " right of any fan base non williams to provoke ,insult and gloat and the expectation that williams fans must sit down and turn the other cheek probably cos the sisters themselves do it".

Take a look at the threads in the last 2 weeks even today

Venus will lose to Kuznetsova The largest of the "top player to be upset" threads ..you'd think that some of these idiots would worry more about where the player they support will reach and leave Venus whose proved herself time and time again alone,

Threads against Venus Serena being seeded .( at least 3)..Absoultely nobody mentioned that Lisa/Davenport were seeded 6 with a combined rank of 3 +98 (not enough to get a 16 th seed in a GS),
Gloating thread started by Kim fan before the end of the match and abbreviated simply cos Kim lost.

Some Aus idiot claiming Venus Cheats

The usual lame ass williams won the doulbles match today but the other team was better ad nauseam.

"Oh god not another Willaims final ..I won't watch" ...who cares
and the list goes on and on

Been a willaims fan since I saw Venus lose to Tauziat 2nd round French '97 been through the trench war fare of the cnnsi boards in 98 and 99 and seen the total dominance of Martiparty and Tower of power fan bases on the original WTA boards ...Love steffi and you know what crap any steffi lover has to take from Selestials on any message board in universe.

where I live in the south they have a saying "don't start none and there won't be none"

GoDominique
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:37 AM
GoDominique I'm gonna be real with you. It totally cracks me up that you started a thread called "Posters living through their fav's" because your own username is that of a tennis player so it's kinda like your living through Dominique.

That's true. Especially if you consider that Dominique is retired for more than 2 years now and hardly appears in the media anymore. Still all my posts are circling around her.
Nice, though, that you consider her as a top-player. ;)

These kind of topics come up, when Venus & Serena reach a new milestone. Had one of them lost, the celebration topics would be allover the boards and i guarantee you, we wont be discussing this topic.

I posted this thread way before the semifinals. And I would really like to know how you "found out" to which player's fans I was referring to. :confused:
And believe me, I definitely DIDN'T have only Venus and Serena fans on my mind.

Same for Brian II - do I smell paranoia here ?

Rae Q.
Jan 24th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by GoDominique
GoDominique I'm gonna be real with you. It totally cracks me up that you started a thread called "Posters living through their fav's" because your own username is that of a tennis player so it's kinda like your living through Dominique.

That's true. Especially if you consider that Dominique is retired for more than 2 years now and hardly appears in the media anymore. Still all my posts are circling around her.
Nice, though, that you consider her as a top-player. ;)

What I meant was just your name and the name of your thread. I was thinking you were gonna say something totally negative before I read your thread and I was cracking up because I was thinking here you are talking about living through your fav yet you name yourself after your fav. I didn't explain at that great but it's funny to me because it's ironic in a way. :)

GoDominique
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:31 AM
:rolleyes:

Sam L
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:57 AM
This messageboard is a fascinating place for any psych 101 student.

kiwifan
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:37 AM
When the All Blacks kicked the crap out of the Aussies a smile grew on my face that carried me through my own Sevens matches yesterday (scored a beautiful try and set up another and when guys from other teams congratulated me after the matches, I didn't even question why they would be so happy since it wasn't their try or even thier teams try it was my try - I was just happy to share the moment, call me crazy) and my victorious tennis match today (6-1, 6-3).

I love when my team wins.

and we All Black fans can celebrate "our" victory.

Oh and my team got a new Head Coach this off season, hopefully the Tuna will help "us" win a Superbowl.

I love when we win Tri-Nations matches, Superbowls and Sisterslams. Hopefully we will add a World Cup on November 22nd!!!

Oh how I would love to celebrate our victory that day.

PS. This thread is still whining garbage. :p

Cheers.

TennisHack
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:55 AM
This messageboard is a fascinating place for any psych 101 student.

Take it from me: no, it's not. It's just that much more irritating ;)

Choice time for a bump, tho, GoDom :D

Crazy Canuck
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Months later and Go Doms point still stands ;)

In unrelated news, I felt extremely good about myself when Coria won today. Seeing as I had a direct impact on his achievement, I feel that it was also mine. I must now go to another board so that I can thumb my nose at the Massu fans.

jojoseph
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:08 AM
If it's not okay to live through your favorite, is it okay to live through someone else's favorite? :confused:

Steam
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Months later and Go Doms point still stands ;)

In unrelated news, I felt extremely good about myself when Coria won today. Seeing as I had a direct impact on his achievement, I feel that it was also mine. I must now go to another board so that I can thumb my nose at the Massu fans.

Great work Becca. That win is definitely as much yours as it is his. If he doesn't send you a piece of the victory check you should sue the bastard.

Steam
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:10 AM
If it's not okay to live through your favorite, is it okay to live through someone else's favorite? :confused:

And coming up next on "People Who Totally Missed the Point"........

Sofiane
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Are you guys talking about the poster named SerenaSlam? :devil:

jojoseph
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:15 AM
And coming up next on "People Who Totally Missed the Point"........

I got the point completely. I was being sarcastic about anna's current situation. And that won't happen that often so you better cherish it.

Sam L
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Does this mean I'm living my life through a movie? A movie that hasn't come out? (If you're puzzled, see my signature!)

I'm crushed! :sad:

Steam
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:18 AM
I got the point completely. I was being sarcastic about anna's current situation. And that won't happen that often so you better cherish it.

Oh please, I could document your foolishness over and over again but that would take too much time that I don't want to waste on a nonentity like yourself. How did Megan Falcon fare in the BOTW by the way? Wasn't she assured of a wild card entry last year?

jojoseph
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Oh please, I could document your foolishness over and over again but that would take too much time that I don't want to waste on a nonentity like yourself.

How exactly did you just make me look stupid? You just put your foot in your mouth.

How did Megan Falcon fare in the BOTW by the way? Wasn't she assured of a wild card entry last year?

Yes she was, and she did receive one last year.

However, she chose not to play there this year, Mr. Racist Against Mexicans.

Steam
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:25 AM

LMFAO!

Crazy Canuck
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:26 AM

WTF?

jojoseph
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:26 AM
LMFAO!

Yes, I'm sure you are.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Yes, I'm sure you are.
Jojo, are you fan of mens tennis at all?

jojoseph
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:31 AM
Yes, sure, but I wind up following women's tennis more.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Yes, sure, but I wind up following women's tennis more.
Right, that's what I figured. Who are your male faves, if you don't mind my asking? Any particular players you don't like?

jojoseph
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:37 AM
I'm a fan of the old timers, Agassi, Chang, Sampras, as well as for Roddick and Guga. Can't say that I dislike any of them except for Pete when he rattles his mouth too much.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:55 AM
I'm a fan of the old timers, Agassi, Chang, Sampras, as well as for Roddick and Guga. Can't say that I dislike any of them except for Pete when he rattles his mouth too much.
Can't disagree with the comment on Pete.

I don't really like any of the high ranked American men.... I used to like Roddick when he was still new, before they made me sick of him. I respect Agassi and would pay to see him, but don't root for him. I do like some of the younger lower ranked guys, though.

jojoseph
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Agassi used to be a tyrant but he's calmed down considerably. I'm sure you would have paid to see him against Chang at the Siebel Open.

lol @Roddick....yeah, but he makes it fun to watch men's tennis. Atleast there's some personality there.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Agassi used to be a tyrant but he's calmed down considerably. I'm sure you would have paid to see him against Chang at the Siebel Open.

lol @Roddick....yeah, but he makes it fun to watch men's tennis. Atleast there's some personality there.
There is lots of personality in mens tennis. Sans Roddick.

SJW
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM
didnt read all this thread, just caught a few posts and i would have to say yes i totally agree supporting a low ranked player and watch them rise is the best feeling in the world....ive gone through it with Serena, Alicia Molik (cmon Aussie!) Alex Stevenson, Elena Bovina, Nadia Petrova, Myriam Casanova to name a few....(i wouldnt say Venus cos by the time i started watching tennis properly she had made her mark at the 97 USO)

im kinda torn on bandwagon hopping....i know that there are just some players' games i fall in love with watching first time...but liking a player cos they beat someone u hate etc is not cool

Hulet
Jul 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM
:rolleyes:
Okay, who is worse? A fan who lives through his faves or a fan of a low-ranked player who tries to act superior for supporting a low-ranked player and tries to let you know of that fact on every possible moment? I think it's the latter, because she feels that supporting a low-ranked player makes her special and is the one distinguishing thing in her life. Here is an idea: find something else in life to distinguish yourself in - supporting a low-ranked player might make you different from most other fans but, in it of itself, it shouldn't be the one thing you feel proud of in your life. :sad:

btw, it's a poor taste to bump your thread after so many months, or atleast I think so. :rolleyes:

DunkMachine
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Luckily this thread, which has been started in complete idiocy, has been blessed with excellent posts from Hendouble and Kiwifan.

GoDominique
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Okay, who is worse? A fan who lives through his faves or a fan of a low-ranked player who tries to act superior for supporting a low-ranked player and tries to let you know of that fact on every possible moment? I think it's the latter, because she feels that supporting a low-ranked player makes her special and is the one distinguishing thing in her life. Here is an idea: find something else in life to distinguish yourself in - supporting a low-ranked player might make you different from most other fans but, in it of itself, it shouldn't be the one thing you feel proud of in your life. :sad:

btw, it's a poor taste to bump your thread after so many months, or atleast I think so. :rolleyes:
You just don't get.

I have no problem with people bing fans of top-ranked players at all. And I have never said that fans of low-ranked player are superior to those, as that is total BS.
The problem is that too many people act like it's "My favourite is better than yours, thus I'm better than you". And this behaviour is currently more present than ever, so that caused the bump of this thread. OK, I could have made a new one, but I'm quite lazy, you know.

Diya
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Just wondering why the Williams fans are sooooo defensive in this thread ? I mean i see few Kim , Jennifer or Justine fans who are as defensive as the Williamsphiles here .....wonder why ? :confused: ;)

Crazy Canuck
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Just wondering why the Williams fans are sooooo defensive in this thread ? I mean i see few Kim , Jennifer or Justine fans who are as defensive as the Williamsphiles here .....wonder why ? :confused: ;)
Perhaps because the Williamses have a larger fan base, and are thus present in larger numbers. The irritating fans that Go Dom describe can be found in all fan bases. It just so happens that we don't exactly have a random sample here;)

I'm one of those people who will pick up a player when their ranking is turd, and then be like "hmph" when they all of a sudden have 600 new fans overnight. Yes, I'm petty like that ;)

Crazy Canuck
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Perhaps because the Williamses have a larger fan bus, and are thus present in larger numbers. The irritating fans that Go Dom describe can be found in all fan bases. It just so happens that we don't exactly have a random sample ;)

I'm one of those people who will pick up a player when their ranking is turd, and then be like "hmph" when they all of a sudden have 600 new fans overnight. Yes, I'm petty like that ;)
This becomes even more petty when you consider that I usually pick on players who I think have the potential to be good one day :p

DA FOREHAND
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:15 PM
I support low ranked players, I've enjoyed Venus' ride to the top .

DunkMachine
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Because there's more Anti-Williams than there is anti-Kim, Anti-Jennifer or Anti-Justine.

Pretty straightforward actually. Does that answer your question.

irma
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:20 PM
the reason why I mostly end up supporting promising players is because they are the ones they show on tv. I can't support somebody from a pic or because I like her name.

and I don't have money to go to tournaments all the time