PDA

View Full Version : Doctor: Hingis barrier would be mental

Sharapower
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:14 AM
Doctor: Hingis barrier would be mental
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

Martina Hingis would face no problem from her injured ankle if she decides to return to tennis, according to her surgeon.

Heinz Buehlmann operated on Hingis in May. He told a Swiss newspaper Sunday that her ankle has healed properly.

"Martina can play again,'' Buehlmann said. "Martina has had this problem for four years, but the joints of her foot are absolutely OK.''

Hingis said last week that she had no idea if she would return to tennis and didn't have a time frame in mind.

Buehlmann said her barrier would be mental.

"From a medical point of view a comeback would be no problem, but Martina would have to grit her teeth. She would have to be prepared for some pain,'' he said.

"I know Martina very well. I know from the past that she can come back. But whether she wants that, I do not know.''

Gee, that surgeon is not very kind to his patient. I remember he said before Hingis's second operation that Martina's career might be stopped by her injury and today he says the contrary. Where's the truth ?

JonBcn
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:15 AM
So much for doctor/patient confidentiality!

auntie janie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:03 AM
I know! This doctor is after self-promotion. It is not his place to call press conferences about his patient's health. Poor Martina.

Hulet
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:22 AM
Doctor-patient confidentiality is not an absolute law. In some cases, doctors are actually required to divulge some confidential info about the patient - for example, if the disease a person carries is harmful to society and the person refuses to be quarentined(sp?). I am not sure if a doctor can break confidentiality to protect his reputation and livelihood. But, if so, Martina's doctor has a case.