PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Marie!

disposablehero
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:00 AM
Tuesday, January 21

Schonert gives up Pop Warner to reunite with Fassel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Turk Schonert is going from coaching his 12-year-old son's Pop Warner football team to coaching the New York Giants' quarterbacks.

Schonert was hired Tuesday, reuniting with Giants head coach Jim Fassel.

Fassel was Stanford's offensive coordinator when Schonert was the team's QB and led the nation in passing efficiency in 1979.

Schonert replaces Sean Payton, the Giants' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach this season. Payton left to join the Cowboys last week.

Fassel stripped Payton of play-calling duties seven games into the season, choosing the plays himself as the Giants rode a four-game winning streak to a playoff berth.

"He's a product of a system I'm a product of -- the Bill Walsh system. Turk understands the fundamentals of the quarterback position. He played it, he's coached it, and I'm excited to have him on the staff,'' Fassel said.

Giants quarterback Kerry Collins who set team records for completions (335) and passing yards (4,073) in 2002.

Schonert's last NFL post was as quarterbacks coach with the Carolina Panthers in 2001. He was let go when coach George Seifert was fired.

Last year, he coached his son Jake's team.

Schonert began his coaching career in 1992 as the quarterbacks coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, spending four years there. After hosting a sports talk show in Cincinnati, he returned to the NFL in 1998 and spent three years as the quarterbacks coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Schonert played nine seasons in the NFL, completing 311 of 504 passes (61.7 percent) for 3,788 yards, 11 touchdowns and 20 interceptions.

As a senior at Stanford, Schonert set school records for completion percentage (67.1) and lowest interception rate (2.71). He led the Pac-10 with 19 touchdown passes.

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Kurt I don't understand this thread? I LOVE the Bengals but don't know this Turk?:)

Please enlighten me.:)

anton
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:25 AM
hey dawn was up! :wavey:

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:29 AM
Hi Anton, just got back on I was doing some studying and watching TV.

Kurt must have went to bed.

disposablehero
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:20 PM
You don't remember Turk Schonert, Dawn? He was the Bengals backup QB for most of the 80's. Of course, since Ken and later Boomer didn't get injured too much, he didn't get a lot of playing time. He was a good backup though.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:39 PM
:wavey: :kiss: :lick: :hearts: @ Dawn Marie!