PDA

View Full Version : Are Pam and Mary Joe good for ESPN?

bigbud1
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:09 PM
What is it with Pam and Mary Joe?
Why must they constantly make rude and personal comments about our favorite players?
VENUS: They called her play,"manic depressive"
JUSTINE: They said she needs to wear larger skirts
DANIELLA, They complain about her weight.
IS THIS GOOD BROADCAST JOURNALISM? OR PETTINESS?

Philbo
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:12 PM
Its accurate except for maybe venus being manic depressive...

Justine does need to wwear a bigger skirt, I saw her in sydney and it looked awkward when it kept creeping up!!

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:15 PM

I'd say pettiness... You must also remember that they are not trained broadcasters-- they're only at ESPN because they played tennis :eek:

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:15 PM
Pam's not bad, I don't think. When she's with Mary Carillo, she's great.

Mary Joe...ah, where to begin. Dump her.

Messenger
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:26 PM
You ungrateful people. You should be thankful that you are hearing their voices at all. The commentators we have are not only bad, I don't even know who they are even though they're meant to be former players.

Iconoclast
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by bigbud1
VENUS: They called her play,"manic depressive"
Making comparisons with a serious disorder or illness like manic depression is a bit far-fetched and perhaps even inappropriate. But, hey, it's a metaphor, not a diagnosis. And it does some convey some meaning.
JUSTINE: They said she needs to wear larger skirts
Very good call. Her Le Coq Sportif (Myriad) creeps up during each rally. And it's crinkly as hell. She constantly has to drag it back up to cover her crotch, which can't be great for her focus.

DANIELLA, They complain about her weight.
They must have been reading this board then, 90 percent of discussion, or thereabouts, currently pertains to her weight, or lack thereof.

Except for your first complaint, I don't find any of their sayings particularly objectionable.

Venus Forever
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
Pam's not bad, I don't think. When she's with Mary Carillo, she's great.

Mary Joe...ah, where to begin. Dump her.

Exactly.:)

auntie janie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:01 AM
Justine, do buy a new skirt! :o

LeonHart
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:05 AM
Pam and MJ are funny, but do dump Jim Courier pls :)

harloo
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:12 AM
Are Pam and Mary Jo good for ESPN?

Yes, because ESPN are a whole bunch of asses.

No, because both of them suck. I really do think they should ban
Pam
Mary Jo
Jim Courier
Chris Evert
and John McEnroe

from commentating professional tennis matches ever again.

They are all so bias and annoy the hell out of me.

ktwtennis
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:28 AM
I don't think they're too bad really...But ESPN is just bad...

Meesh
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:38 AM
Pam and Mary Jo remind me of this skit they used to do on Saturday Night Live... I can't think of the name.... it was a radio show and they talked about crafts, food etc.. they wore vests made of quilts... they had their mouths right in the microphone (Mary Jo). They were extremely DULL!

ESPN needs to persuade Martina N. to retire and do commentary.

tenn_ace
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:48 AM
Shriver is not good for anything... can't stand her.

the rest are fine

gourownway
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:52 AM
Meesh...YES!!!!!!!!!

It was that public access radio show skit!! That's them! Like the one skit at chirstmas where they thought they were drunk on egg nog and then they give out the recipe and they find out there is no alcohol in it!!!

That is MJ and Pam to a tee!!

gourownway
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:55 AM
I digress,

Are they good for ESPN....well they certainly fit in with those crazy commercials they are always doing.

Leena
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:59 AM
I don't think they're too bad... but I don't listen to the commentary much anyway. You guys shouldn't rip on ESPN... us in the US are lucky to get any coverage of the Aussie at all.

As far as the comments go... Venus does go through extreme high and lulls in her play, Justine's skirts do rise up and I would think they'd have to bother her sometimes, and Dani does have to gain some muscle if she wants to compete with the Williams'.

Venus Forever
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Meesh
Pam and Mary Jo remind me of this skit they used to do on Saturday Night Live... I can't think of the name.... it was a radio show and they talked about crafts, food etc.. they wore vests made of quilts... they had their mouths right in the microphone (Mary Jo). They were extremely DULL!

ESPN needs to persuade Martina N. to retire and do commentary.

I think you're talking about "The Delicious Dish" with Ana Gastayer and [originally Molly Shannon] but now Rachel Dratch. I love their skits.:D

spokenword73
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by harloo
Are Pam and Mary Jo good for ESPN?

Yes, because ESPN are a whole bunch of asses.

No, because both of them suck. I really do think they should ban
Pam
Mary Jo
Jim Courier
Chris Evert
and John McEnroe

from commentating professional tennis matches ever again.

They are all so bias and annoy the hell out of me.

you took the words right of my...er... keyboard! LOL!

CC
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:19 AM
Oh yes, The Delicious Dish on National Public Radio!

"Let's talk about ... cabbage! Hmmm hmmm.":lick:

CanadianBoy21
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:28 AM
Best Commentators:
Pam Shriver
Mary Jo
Mary Carillo

WORST
John Mcenroe
Jim Courier
Martina Navratilo
Chris Evert
Dick
Patrick Mcenroe
--------
Martina sucks because she has no respect for lower ranked players, because she is so great a tennis player, and everybody should approcah the net or they suck, patrick is much better then his big mouth brother, but he goes on and on and on on on....................about davis cup.
Jim, he calls some things good, but he gets soooooo annoying.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:52 AM
Well I'm going to major in broadcast journalism in college so if you all sit tight maybe we won't have shit commentators on ESPN in about 7-10 years;)

I think Pam is a bit annoying, but Mary Joe can be funny in her comments with players. I remember when Venus played Sandra Cacic a few years ago and she said something like "She's putting more effort into her racquet throwing than her backhand. Her racquet throws are more accurate too.":eek: ;)

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:04 AM
Harloo I agree with your post.

They all suck, and don't forget about Luke Jensen he is wack. Mal is sucky, always out in the hot as sun. LMAO Also Jim Courier is PATHETIC. All ESPN commentators and Chris and John are hoes for there networks. Not one of them idiots will go out on a limb and tell it like it really is on the court. Sometimes John will, but he also has bias toward black women players who are at the top. so he has strikes against him.

the 3 BEST COMMENTATORS, are BILLIE JEAN KING,CHANDA RUBIN and MARTINA NAVRITILOVA. They words and play by play is focused on the match. Pam is too stupid for me. She rambles off and has a tendecy to go off the boil at times. MJ, too much biased for the GWH's and agaisnt power babes who are black. Same with Cliff(dementia) Drysdale.

Venus Forever
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by CC
Oh yes, The Delicious Dish on National Public Radio!

"Let's talk about ... cabbage! Hmmm hmmm.":lick:

Sorry, but the Sweaty Balls, and the Sweaty Weiner were the best skits with Alec Baldwin. They are just so funny.