PDA

View Full Version : Excl Clijsters interview Humo Jan 21 2003

KaseyL
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:07 PM
I hope some fan is candidate to do a translation? (not that I mind doing it, but I still have to do a few long articles...) Anyone having read it and volunteering, please? :kiss: ?

Elke
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:01 AM
ok, mistress, tell me what to do!:worship: :p

It's just a really nice interview!

KaseyL
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:52 AM
ROFL

:cool:

Pinkie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:07 PM
I can help if you want me to. Just send me an e-mail or pm :)

Lynx
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:14 PM
Just read it today - great stuff. But it's indeed A LOT.

Maybe you could cut it up and assign tasks? You'd be editor-in-chief, then... :)

nicky
Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:03 PM
Ok, I'll join in, I've got some time tonight. Just assign me a part...;)

KaseyL
Feb 5th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the proposals to help! :kiss:

Sorry Tine, I don't have the text in electronic version, so can't send it, but there will be more opportunities in the near future to help out, I'm sure!

I'll take care of the pic scans from this magazine (I like the one of Lleyton on page 21 :) ) and the translation of the first pages, page 20, 21 and 22, including "Big Business",

- who wants to take care of page 22, as of "Zwijgplicht" and page 23, 'til right before "Dierbaar België": Elke?

- page 23 (as of "Dierbaar België" on page 23) 'til part of "Geen camera's", the paragraph ending with "afblijven, heb ik haar gezegd." : Lynx?

- page 24 (as of "Je zou je kunnen afvragen..." in "Geen camera's") 'til the end? Nicky?

Please let me know something via e-mail?

Thanks a lot! :kiss:

Lynx
Feb 7th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Hi, Ingrid. :)

That's perfectly all right with me. Since I don't have your e-mail address, I've sent you a PM .
Greetz. :wavey:

E. Blackadder
Feb 7th, 2003, 06:34 AM
It's actually a LEI Clijsters interview, but it's interesting :)

nicky
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:05 PM
I just got back from skiing holiday, I'll start looking for the Humo and do the translation sometime next week...

keta
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:01 AM
:kiss: :kiss: Thankz sooo much to the people who are endlessly translating articles for all of us, We appreciate it sooo much!! :kiss: :kiss: :worship: :worship:

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by nicky
I just got back from skiing holiday, I'll start looking for the Humo and do the translation sometime next week...

Thanks!
Lynx (Mark) is already done with his' part :kiss:
...I'm working on mine, so is Elke!
I'll put it up here as soon as I have received everything.

KaseyL
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:02 PM
FINALLY :o ;) I managed to get this over with (my fault entirely :o, and Lei's :p)

First of all, this is a team effort by Mark (aka Lynx), Annick (aka Nicky), Marly and myself.

So thank you Mark, Annick and Marly for the great work!
(kisses, Belgian style :D) :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Elke has been involved too, but she had the set-back of loosing her work due to circumstances :sad: Thanks Elke though for her efforts to do her part of this huge text, hugs and kisses! :kiss:

I'll post the interview in parts, as it is way too long otherwise.
And... therefore please check the lounge each day. :angel: :D
(yes, I know, marketing tricks, I admit I'm guilty of that too :D)

Anyway, here we go:

PART 1 of this loooong interview
:D
---

Source: Humo, January 21, 2003

Lei, father and guardian angel of Kim Clijsters

“Sometimes she jumps on my neck like a little girl. Just like old times.”

By Luc Kempen,
part 1: transl. by Ingrid, and ed. Marly

The weeds are almost knee high on the tennis court that Lei Clijsters had laid out in his backyard when he won the Golden Shoe in 1988. His daughters have hardly set foot there the past five years, and he himself can’t remember his last game. While Kim is storming through the first week of the Australian Open under the approving eye of mama, Lei is taking care of the three dogs. Elke, the younger sister of Kim, became 18 the past weekend and is now a full-time tennis pro too. After her birthday party she immediately left for London to play the qualifications of a modest tournament. ‘Kim also started at the bottom’, recalls dad. ‘But almost immediately she won a tournament in Sheffield and made such a big jump in the world rankings that she could already play her big idol Steffi Graf at Wimbledon. In two year’s time we’ll see how far Elke is, and whether she is hungry enough to do everything for it.’

Humo: What do you think yourself?
Lei: ‘I don’t know. I regularly see her practising and I think then: she has talent. But she also enjoys the good things in life. Honestly, I like that just as much. She isn’t the type that goes to bed at 10 the whole week because she has to play an important match the next week. Kim was totally different at that age: she could hardly afford such a lifestyle back then. She was also already with Lleyton at 17.’

THE tennis couple of the 21st century is near the pinnacle of its fame. While Hewitt has been leading the men’s world rankings for more than a year, Kim is slowly catching sight of Venus, the older of the Williams sisters. You haven’t missed noticing it either, reader. A battery of the wise is counting the ballots of Humo’s Pop Poll de Luxe under severe security in the basement of the Humo-building. Nothing about it may leak out, except that Kim Clijsters is going to win the ‘Woman of the Year’ and ‘Sportsperson of the Year’ medals. While our chief-editor is swimming to Australia to tell her the good news, we are off –preferring to be lazy instead of being tired – to Bree.

Humo: Last week the VRT news [note: Flemish public TV station] had an item about Kim’s autograph session in Melbourne. Can you see from these thousands of miles apart whether she likes to do it?
Lei: ‘I haven’t seen that topic, but I can tell from her daily phone calls how she is feeling. She then sits in the dressing room and we simply talk for two minutes, sometimes to control the nerves, sometimes simply to break the silence. She herself will never say that she needs me, but I hear it immediately when something is wrong. Sometimes I think: ‘Now I have to go to her immediately’. But that has happened only once so far.
Last year, when Carl Maes just had stopped and Kim didn’t have a new coach yet, we, the two of us, travelled through California for four weeks. Such a long period so closely together was good for us both. There she made the base for her excellent fall, and I had the time to have long chats with her, and to get to know my daughter – because she stays that in the first place - a bit better again.’

Humo: What do you do together?
Lei: ‘Still ordering room service at 10 PM and watching a film during dinner; these kinds of things make it cosy. Seeds are sometimes absurdly spoiled during tournaments, so when there was a very good dessert unexpectedly delivered to her room, she immediately tapped on the wall because she can’t eat that anyway.
She had a lot of doubts during that period though. She hadn’t been able to fully practise for half a year because of that shoulder injury; Carl had gone his own way; and Lleyton, who had been staying with us for a while, was at the other end of the world again. She was very vulnerable.’

Humo: It was, in fact, the very first time in her career that she was in such a dip.
Lei: ‘Yes. Moreover, the media was asking more and more questions about her declining results. She had never gone through such thing, huh.’

Humo: After she had lost to an unknown Slovenian in Rosmalen, she herself said: ’If I am still in the top ten at the end of the year, it will be good’.
Lei: ‘In the end, the pain in her shoulder was unendurable. We just had decided not to let her have surgery, because doctors only gave her a 35% chance of total recovery. Patrick Rafter had to quit tennis because of an identical injury. In consultation with Dr. De Clercq, we drastically reduced her schedule: no Fed Cup, no doubles... That was a heavy blow to her, also because she had to rest after the Australian Open, and hadn’t been able to get a decent serve during practice sessions for months.’

Hallo, with dog.

Humo: Last year, during the Australian Open, she was already playing fully in pain, but she still reached the semis. What do you do at such a time?
Lei: ‘Before the start of the Australian Open, I told her: ‘Stop with it!’ But she didn’t want to hear of it. I do understand that, though: you’re playing in the country of your boyfriend, where sports means so much more than here [in Belgium] and the public is devoted to her. What sports person of 18 then says: ’I will listen to my body and won’t play?’ She had to play Justine Henin in the quarters. ‘Papa, I will stop after Justine’, she said, without realizing she was putting her body on the line. During that period she couldn’t even move her arm the day after a match. She was really at the limit there. Now she would make her conclusions faster: she has had way too much pain the past year.’

Humo: Does it take a lot to convince her at such times?
Lei: ‘Yes, but she has learned a few things. If the pain really becomes too much, she will stop. I also have impressed upon her to never take sedatives, because that’s treacherous. I know myself: you feel the adrenaline going and don’t think of the pain.’

Humo: The ranking system forces a player to defend her points. Is she also dragged along by it?
Lei: ‘No, Kim doesn’t think about it. She wants to play because tennis itself is so dear to her, and she doesn’t want to disappoint the people.’

Humo: Tennis no longer a game at her level, isn't it?
Lei: (sighs) ‘Why don’t I have this explained to you? Last week, when Capriati lost in the first round, I heard on the news that Kim might become world number three soon. Do you think that we have talked about that for a second with each other?’

Humo: She is a top sportsperson, and in top sports only the first place matters.
Lei: ‘That is not our philosophy. You should have seen her reaction when Lleyton became world number one. ‘And so what’, she said, and shrugged her shoulders. We all know that Justine Henin dreams of that first place, but she’ll have a very big problem if she does ever reach that spot, because then she’ll want to avoid becoming second again. Kim mainly thinks about enjoying herself.’

Humo: Is that a wishful dream of a father who sees his girls slowly becoming adults, or do you really notice that she is still the same person of five years ago?
Lei: ‘Of course. I see how she doesn’t let an opportunity to tease her coach Marc Dehous pass, and when she was playing the Hopman Cup with Xavier Malisse, the fun was a reflection of her.’

Humo: But that’s also a tournament where a victory hardly matters.
Lei: ‘Maybe so. She doesn’t like to lose of course, but after an hour she has already forgotten it. I don’t think she has been awake for a minute in her life because of a defeat. (laughs) If she calls me now, she especially wants to hear the little dog that she got for a present some months ago in Charleroi.’

Humo: She’ll be 20 in June, but has she in fact remained a girl?
Lei: ‘Not always. When I can talk to her for a long time like last year in the States, I feel that she has become an adult woman. She takes clear positions and analyses her situation perfectly. She indicates very clearly what kind of coach she wants, and which jobs she will or will not accept. I still remember how she was already talking about the Masters then, which were only three months later. She wanted to be in LA early to have as few jetlag troubles as possible. Then she thinks like a pro.
But she can just as well hit a ball at my head when I am reading the newspaper alongside the practice court: ’Pay attention, papa!’ Or outside the stadium, just like in the old times, to jump on my neck. I hope that she won’t lose that carelessness. Otherwise, how do you dare to address an entire stadium in Paris in French as an 18 year-old girl? When you think too much about what you do, you won’t even do it.
Although it wouldn’t earn her anything, she would still play tennis every day, I think. She doesn’t play for points or to become the number one in the world. She plays tennis because she enjoys it.’

Humo: How long can she keep doing that?
Lei: ‘All that travelling, and the fact that she often has to miss Lleyton for more than a month, may become too much for her one day. Maybe she will also be forced to stop because her body won’t allow it any more. But travelling is especially nerve-wracking. She is continuously on the road with six huge bags. When Lleyton and Kim come to Belgium, we have to push twelve bags into that big Mitsubishi and before Els has even washed and ironed everything, they are already on the road to another tournament. It’s obvious these two can’t continue such a life for years.’

keta
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM
:kiss: :bounce: :bounce: :angel: :worship: OMG!! thank you soo much!! Its great! Such a Nice interview! :D:D :kiss: :kiss:

~|Naomi|~
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Wow thankyou so much:kiss: :kiss: Can't wait for the next bit;)

Lleykimmy1
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¨

http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif:bounce: http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif:bounce: http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif:bounce: http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif:bounce:

Hawk
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Awww that's such a nice interview :angel:

Fieke
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by KaseyL
First of all, this is a team effort by Mark (aka Lynx), Annick (aka Nicky), Marly and myself.

So thank you Mark, Annick and Marly for the great work!
(kisses, Belgian style :D) :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Elke has been involved too, but she had the set-back of loosing her work due to circumstances :sad: Thanks Elke though for her efforts to do her part of this huge text, hugs and kisses! :kiss:

:worship: Thanks guys :worship: You're the best!
Also from me, 3 kisses Belgian style :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

kit
Feb 26th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Thank you Ingrid!!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

angele87
Feb 26th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Thank you so much everybody that put in work with this interview :D It's great!

:kiss: :worship: :kiss: :worship: :kiss: :worship: :kiss: :worship: :kiss: :worship: :worship:

Elke
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks a lot all! :kiss:

And again, I'm really sorry about my part... :sad:

Come-on-kim
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:35 PM

pcabenojar
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Nice interview. I can't wait for the next part. I hope you post it soon Ingrid! :)

Many thanks to the team for all the translations. Nice work. :worship: :worship:

possie
Feb 27th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Wow, an amazing effort by all!! Thankyou very, very much. I really enjoyed reading it:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

possie
Feb 27th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Can't wait for part 2 :) :D :bounce:

KaseyL
Mar 1st, 2003, 11:24 PM
Part 2 of this interview:

transl. by Ingrid, ed. by Marly

Big business

Humo: When you see her playing, do you recognize something of yourself then?
Lei: (thinking) ‘What I really don’t want to be, is a former top sportsman who wants to see himself reflected in his children all the time. When I’m there, she often searches for eye-contact and I try to let her feel with little gestures that she isn’t alone there.
(silence) You know, during the Masters in Los Angeles I sometimes saw myself in her whole attitude. Each morning at 7 AM we were in the breakfast room of the hotel, although neither of us had set the wake-up call.’

Humo: Did she say then: ’Papa, I’d like to have you always around me?’
Lei: ‘Yes, but I think it’s important to keep a distance. If she feels good, she doesn’t need me.’

Humo: A few years ago, your way of handling things was admired: finally a tennis dad who had good intentions for his daughter. But the situation has been totally reversed in the past year, and you are now particularly known as grumbler.
Lei: ‘Wait a moment, I think that journalists and companies, especially the ones whom I have to disappoint, are portraying me as such. Let them do so, because the common people and the other athletes usually say I am right. The boyfriend of Kim Gevaert told me recently: ‘I pick up the phone nowadays, because Kim always says ‘yes’ to everything and we have more problems with that than anything else.’ With all respect for the other Belgian athletes, my daughter is known almost everywhere in the world. Her final against Serena Williams brought € 1 million advertising in from Belgium. Everyone wants Kim, Kim, Kim and preferably exclusively. I am there to shield her and ensure she keeps on functioning as normally as possible.’

[B]Humo: Did Carl Maes, who had coached Kim for 7 years, mention himself that he wanted to quit, or did you sack him because the results weren’t really there?
Lei: ‘Carl had an offer to go working for the WTA Tour. He asked me whether I had a problem with it, and I found that such a thing couldn’t be combined with Kim’s coaching. His contract terminated in October, and therefore we decided, after mutual consultation, to end it after Roland Garros.’

Humo: But in hinsight, this suited you very well? The novelty of the partnership might have worn off.
Lei: ‘Look, each time Kim wins, some people stand up and say:’ I have taught Kim this and I have taught her that. That’s like claiming that Timmy Simons has me to thank for his Golden Shoe because I brought him from Diest to Lommel [Belgian football clubs where Lei used to be a coach] a few years ago. An athlete makes himself, and that was Carl’s opinion too. He knew that all of Kim’s coaches were good ones.
Maybe seven years were indeed enough. By starting to talk about that offer, he also indicated that he was in need of something else.’

[B]Humo: Maybe he had the impression that she was listening more to Hewitt’s team than to him?
Lei: ‘No, Carl never made a point of that. That relationship is there after all, a coach has to be able to deal with it. It is totally normal that there are some talks or consultations with these people.
When it became known that Carl was quitting, everyone suddenly came to me at tournaments: people who, first of all, claimed they had made top players.

I myself had my eye on Bart Van Kerckhove and Christophe Thijs, two Limburg men from nearby, but these boys are married, have kids and couldn’t make themselves available. I wasn’t looking for the best coach, but the person whose personality best suited Kim. The Williams sisters and Capriati don’t really have a personal coach either. Their fathers and mothers work with them and look for hitting partners.
I know her best. (grinning) I could be just like Capriati’s dad and be her coach too, but I don’t want to be too close to her. It is good that there is a buffer.’

Secrecy

Humo: Was it difficult to create a new team, knowing how crucial it would be for her career?
Lei: ‘I have spoken extensively to 20 coaches and 10 physiotherapists in all. I also had tons on the phone that I knew after 30 seconds would amount to nothing. They immediately wanted to know if their girlfriend was allowed to come to Australia at New Year’s eve: someone talking like that isn’t concerned with tennis. And when someone is pushing himself too much, I can become blunt;’You really were the last one I had in mind.’

Evelyne Coppens, the physiotherapist we have chosen, is only 25 years old and doesn’t have any experience in sport, but her temperament and persuasive power fascinated me. And Marc Dehous coached the youth of the Flemish Tennis Association in all anonimity. The tour declared me nuts when I chose him, but I don’t give a damn about such things.
That’s often the problem with such institutes. How many people at the BOIC or the VTV in Wilrijk have experienced real top sport, and know what goes on in the mind of a top sporter when he has to go on court? They aren’t familiar with the smell of the changing rooms. Carl Maes had to grow into this, too.

Kim has to enjoy herself, but everything around her has to breathe top sport. If I see on the road to the Masters in LA that one of her team is reading a tourist leaflet, then I interfere. We aren’t on vacation, right? My daughter has already been speaking about the Masters for months; we definitely aren’t going to visit buildings then.

I principally need the right character, not the best coach. Humour is at least as important to me as knowledge. They also shouldn’t be indiscrete, and her physiotherapist isn’t allowed to say anything about Kim’s injuries in public. I know that nobody cares about it in Belgium, but there is something like medical secrecy after all.’

---
Preview next post:
part 3, will commence with:

Humo: Kim and Lleyton are known in Australia as the new Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. Isn’t there an astonishing amount of pressure on their relationship?

Keep checking here in CCL! :angel:

possie
Mar 1st, 2003, 11:49 PM
Thankyou sooo much Ingrid (and helpers!) :) :) :bounce: ...but you're now teasing us....when is part 3 coming!!!!!

possie
Mar 1st, 2003, 11:53 PM
Will it be today?.......please, please, please :angel: :angel:

thalle
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:05 AM
You're spoiling us :p

~|Naomi|~
Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:55 AM
Thankyou sooooo much :worship: :worship:

Lleykimmy1
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:02 PM
Thank you very much for that second part of the interview !! I'm really looking forward to reading the third part !!!!!!!!!

duck
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:22 PM

LOL How cruel is this? Ingrid you are a little :devil: :p ;)

Fieke
Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:50 PM
Preview next post:
part 3, will commence with:

Humo: Kim and Lleyton are known in Australia as the new Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. Isn’t there an astonishing amount of pressure on their relationship?

What a cliff-hanger :( :p
Thanks again!

angele87
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:48 AM
Ingrid you're an evil, evil woman ;) :p How about posting the third part to cheer us all up? :angel:

Thanks for the interview you posted :kiss: :kiss:

keta
Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:06 PM
:bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: Thanzk for the interview everyone, Cant wiat for the Next part! :D:D

possie
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:04 PM
Please Ingrid ?!? You're such a tease :p

Cilla
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone for all the hard work on this interview :kiss:

And :p @ Ingrid the Queen of Suspense :p

gentenaire
Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the translations! I read the article in Dutch, it is very long. I'm impressed that you're willing to take up this daunting task. Keep it up :D

KaseyL
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:35 PM
Please Ingrid ?!? You're such a tease :p

:D

I never claimed I was nice :p

KaseyL
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:41 PM
Allright, with a bit of a delay (and no, honestly, not intented at all. I've just been too busy to get in here... :( )

Part 3 of the interview!

Smoked a sigar

transl. by Ingrid, ed. by Marly

Lei: ‘I think they are coping rather well with this. I hear from Kim that there are continuously cameras in front of the Hewitt home in Adelaide. For the time being they still consider it a game to avoid those. Hopefully It will stay like this.’

Humo: How difficult is it for them that he isn’t loved in Australia?
Lei: ‘Lleyton doesn’t necessarily want everyone to like him. He is like me in this sense (laughter). And Kim, yes, Kim isn’t bothered by anything for the time being.’

Humo: What are you thinking when you see him raging about something on court sometimes?
Lei: ‘I think it’s splendid. He at least ensures that men’s tennis is still a bit appealing. It would be quite a boring thing without him. When Kim got incorrectly ripped off a point a few weeks ago in the final against Davenport in Sydney, she didn’t restrain herself either, and smashed her racket on the ground.’

Humo: That’s the influence of her boyfriend, an outsider would say.
Lei: ‘Nonsense! Kim has always been temperamental. When she was 10 years old, she was already breaking her rackets in anger. It’s even worse for Elke; she receives one code violation after the other. Ach yeah, that happens to be part of tennis. I go nuts when I hear talk that my daughter has a model role – to my eyes any inhabitant of Bree has the same important model role. When she wants to smoke a cigarette, she smokes one for my sake. It’s nobody’s business about the rest.’

Humo: Does she smoke secretly, Lei?
Lei: ‘No, thank god she can’t stand it, but Lleyton once got caught by a photographer with quite large a cigar in his mouth, after which half of Australia was crying blue murder. As if sportsmen have to behave correctly each and every moment of the day. Nobody could sustain that.
Because they are so well-known, you have to be a bit more inventive.

When Kim and Lleyton want to practise, I often rent three courts at different clubs. When they are spotted too much in one club, you immediately have 100 or 200 people courtside.

Another example: when they like to go to Antwerp for a day, I rent a hotel room under another name. And when they want to visit the zoo, I try to arrange with the management that they can enter through a back door.’

Humo: You’d like your daughter to enjoy tennis in all tranquility, and then one day she comes home with the future number one of men’s tennis. Did you never fear that it would hamper her career?
Lei: (laughs) ‘We have never been busy with planning her career, and she is allowed to choose her boyfriend herself.
Relationship or no relationship: Kim is still playing with the same mindset as when she was 12. Last year Justine lost at Roland Garros and immediately left for home ‘sick’. When Kim was defeated at Roland Garros last year, she was already playing with kids an hour later.’

Humo: You said it back then: ‘It’s maybe good that she is out early’.
Lei: ‘That’s right. Recently she played the finals of the singles and doubles in Sydney. She is the last one to realises how tired she is. That’s how it is with sports people. But if tennis is over in a few years, she will still have to be able to walk normally across the street and not have pain everywhere.

There are also doctors who prescribe all kind of things to postpone menstruation during an important match. I say then: ‘Keep your hands off it. Let nature have its way.’ If she loses a match because of it, OK, then so be it.’

Humo: At Nike they know you as an intractable negotiator. Last year, when negotiations for a new sponsor were required, you chose Fila.
Lei: ‘If they state that Kim needs to be available for promotion 10 days a year, then I say: ‘No way. Three is the top.’
Look, last week I was in contact with a Dutch chewing gum producer. They wanted to pay 4.5 million (= €112,500) for a commercial, but Kim had to be in Spain for two days during the shooting. ‘That’s not possible’, I said. They didn’t understand it. I then gave them the number of Justine Henin and Kim Gevaert.’

Humo: How long can you afford to have such an attitude?
Lei: ‘First of all I am the father of Kim and Elke. All is in consideration of them, and not of the money, like usual in top sport. We have in fact learned the most from the story of Anna Kournikova. Give that girl the team that Kim gets, and she will be in the top five of women’s tennis again. Her management has signed so many deals in the past years that she isn’t at ease for a second. She has hardly finished a match before a car is waiting to bring her quickly to the next appearance. Of course you become unhappy through this. One can earn millions a year, but if you’re not happy, it’s nothing really. No, when I see Kournikova, I don’t care that many people think that I’m an asshole.’

END of PART 3

---

PREVIEW next installment; part 4
(translated by Mark, aka Lynx)

Humo: At the end of last year you had been toying for a bit with the thought of Kim becoming Australian. Have you given up this idea once and for all?
Lei: ‘No. After the 'Sports Personality of the Year' Stefan Everts said to me: ‘I don't understand why Kim stays in Belgium.

---

Don't forget to come back for the next part!

~|Naomi|~
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:10 PM
Thankyou so much can't wait for the last bit :worship: :kiss: :kiss:

Fieke
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:39 PM
Lei: ‘Nonsense! Kim has always been temperamental. When she was 10 years old, she was already breaking her rackets in anger. It’s even worse for Elke; she receives one code violation after the other.
LOL, that's Elke alright :D

Don't forget to come back for the next part!

Of course not! Thanks again everyone!

angele87
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:45 PM
Thank you so much Ingrid and all the others that put work into translating/editing!

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

possie
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:48 PM
Thanks Ingrid.....I love it!!! :bounce: :bounce:

LOL at the bit were Lei says Lleyton is like him!!!!
As usual...can't wait for part 4.....how many parts are there???

Hawk
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks to everyone who is working on this..it's great!! :kiss: :worship:

DutchieGirl
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:40 AM
wow! great read! Thanks for the hard work you guys have done! Can't wait to read the next bit! :D

pcabenojar
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:41 AM
A big Thanks again for everyne who worked on the interview. I can't wait for the next part/parts....hope u post it soon again Ingrid. :)

duck
Mar 4th, 2003, 10:21 AM
'When she wants to smoke a cigarette, she smokes one for my sake. It’s nobody’s business about the rest.’

Humo: Does she smoke secretly, Lei?
Lei: ‘No, thank god she can’t stand it, but Lleyton once got caught by a photographer with quite large a cigar in his mouth, after which half of Australia was crying blue murder.'

So true! It's a bit depressing to know that Ll does get to hear about the negative stuff in the press although he could hardly avoid it. I wonder if Kim does occasionally have a crafty cigarette or Lei meant it in a metaphorical sense. ;)

Big :kiss: to translators and editor

Come-on-kim
Mar 4th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Great Interview, Thanks

Zoecrick
Mar 4th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Wow this is a good one!! Cant wait thank you everybody love to you all!!

Kornelija
Mar 4th, 2003, 02:53 PM
OOOOOOOOO!!! I am so excited. I just can't wait for the next part. wonderful job Ingrid! :kiss:

kit
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Thank you so much for the interview,Ingrid you're an :angel: !!
I can't wait for the next part!!!

ikke
Mar 4th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the interview :kiss:

Lynnsha
Mar 4th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks for everyone who did the translations and thank you to Ingrig who posts the interview.:kiss:

thalle
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks Ingrid -and those who helped... :)

Mazza
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Thanks to everyone who translated the article! :D :D :bounce: :kiss:

KaseyL
Mar 5th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Next part: :)

Part 4 of the Humo interview

a must read, it will give you more insight into the "tax case"!

Thanks Mark for all the work on this one! :kiss:

----

Beloved Belgium

["Oh Beloved Belgium" is the Flemish opening phrase of the Brabançonne, the Belgian national anthem]

translated by Mark (aka Lynx), ed. by Ingrid and Marly

Humo: At the end of last year you had been toying for a bit with the thought of Kim becoming Australian. Have you given up this idea once and for all?
Lei: ‘No. After the 'Sports Personality of the Year' Stefan Everts [a Belgian world champion motorcycle] said to me: ‘I don't understand why Kim stays in Belgium. You only get your wings clipped, here...’

Humo: Doesn't Everts exaggerate a bit?
Lei: ‘No. Let me give you one example: at the time I won the Golden Shoe, my knee was in a plaster cast. Marc Emmers (another football colleague) used to pick me up every day back then, and drive us to training in Mechelen. Well, two days after I'd won the Golden Shoe, a tax guy entered the players’ lodge in Mechelen: ‘Mister Clijsters, the Football Club pays back your travelling expenses, but I notice that you haven't been driving your own car these last few days.’ Less than a week later I had to repay, bam, 100,000 Belgian francs [= € 2500], just like that! That was fifteen years ago, but nothing has really changed.’

Humo: How does your daughter feel about those plans to become an Australian?
Lei: ‘Kim is proud to be a Belgian and she'd like to stay here, but I am also here to secure her future. With what she pays on taxes annually, one could easily sustain twenty unemployed people for a year. Once again: we don't mind paying taxes, but I'd like to be treated like every other Belgian. Take a look at the top ten of tennis. Seven of those are living in tax-friendly Florida. It wouldn't be hard for Kim to move to Florida too: she's never in Belgium for more than a month each year anyway. No, if I or my advisers had anything to say about it, she'd already live in Florida, Monaco or Australia. She is the one who is stopping this - for the time being.’

Humo: ‘If I understand you correctly, it's only a matter of time before you convince her?
Lei: At the moment she hasn't the slightest idea of the state of her finances. I'm just guarding her from making stupid decisions. You have to be realistic: Kim has gotten too big in the eyes of people who still bear a grudge against me. Take the BOIC (Belgian Olympic and Interfederal Committee) for example. If we would decide tomorrow that Kim will not participate in the Olympic Games of 2004 either, a whole lot of Very Important People would get angry all over again.’

Humo: What exactly is bothering you?
Lei: ‘Kim has been chosen Sports Woman of the Year four times in a row, she's currently number three in the rankings, and amounts of money are circulating which cause jealousy. And so they react. For example: our own company has existed only one year, and we have already been audited thoroughly. That tells it all: normally they wait a few years.’

Humo: But haven't a lot of politicians fought hard for a system for top sportsmen these last few years?
Lei: ’The only sportsmen who have a decent system are football players. Thirty percent of their monthly wages go to a pension fund, and when they turn 35, they only have to pay 20% tax on that. Can you believe that Brigitte Becue, European Swimming Champion, has to come to me asking if I might be able to get her a job? Isn't it unbelievably sad that a man like Fred Deburghgraeve, [Swimming Champion] who has won everything worth winning in his discipline, has to go from door to door, practically begging?

Humo: At Kim's final at Roland Garros a year and a half ago, half of the Belgian politicians were sitting in the stands, with Bert Anciaux prominently in front.
Lei: ‘I met him once, at the Royal Palace, straight after Kim lost that final. He told me then he would like to talk to me for four or five hours. That's the last I've heard from him.’

[B]Humo: Justine Henin is spending more and more time in Florida. Is she considering becoming an American?
Lei: ‘I have no idea. But I played football in Liège once, so I know they're much more flexible in Wallonia.’ [re taxes]

Humo: Things get arranged quicker there, while sipping a good glass of wine?
Lei: ‘Nobody has to arrange something – and I don't want special favours. I only want Kim to be treated like everybody else.’

Humo: At the election for 'Sports Personality of the Year', the public voted overwhelmingly for Marc Herremans and Johan Musseeuw, not for Kim. The writing is on the wall, don't you think?
Lei: ‘No. From the polls - including yours - it's clear Kim is still very popular. That's not so obvious of course, after winning one prize after another for three years. Kim herself had declared that Marc Herremans deserved to win - so no one shouldn't be surprized if the public votes for him. If Kim would have won, she would have given the prize to him by the way. The organization knew that and was prepared for that to happen.’

-----

Coming up in the next installment:

Lei talks about doping, Kim's and Lleyton's relationship and its future, their careers, fans and risks...

A little teaser: :D

'Humo: Perhaps it’s good that she is with somebody from the tennis world. An ordinary boy from Bree wouldn’t be able to understand her way of life.'

and

'quote from Lei: "Although I think it's wonderful of her to try to stay who she is under all circumstances, she's got to realize that behind every corner there may be somebody who wants to frame her."'

Y'all know now that you simply have to come back reading the next one, don't you? :angel: :D (sorry, but I need to do some marketing for the Lounge at regular times :D)

duck
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:25 PM

'Humo: Perhaps it’s good that she is with somebody from the tennis world. An ordinary boy from Bree wouldn’t be able to understand her way of life.'

and

'quote from Lei: "Although I think it's wonderful of her to try to stay who she is under all circumstances, she's got to realize that behind every corner there may be somebody who wants to frame her."'

Y'all know now that you simply have to come back reading the next one, don't you? :angel: :D (sorry, but I need to do some marketing for the Lounge at regular times :D)

Wicked Ingrid! :p :kiss:

lleytnkim
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Next part: :)

and

Ingrid, you evil 'Queen of suspense' :p

angele87
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:13 PM
I see you're living up to your nickname Ingrid :p

Thanks for Mark and everybody else participating with putting up this interview :kiss:

KaseyL
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:30 PM
I see you're living up to your nickname Ingrid :p

but of course :D

(adding a bit to it:p): after this interview I'm gonna 'take care' of my Antwerp pics, (about time :o cough), Lleyton eating chocolates included :p.
Just hope I don't have too many tech problems this time...no promises, only plans to post them here as much as I can.

angele87
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE='KaseyL']

(adding a bit to it:p): after this interview I'm gonna 'take care' of my Antwerp pics, (about time :o cough), Lleyton eating chocolates included :p.
QUOTE]
:D :D :D :D

Lleyton :hearts: :drool:

Hawk
Mar 5th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Thanks again :D :worship:

lol @ An ordinary boy from Bree wouldn’t be able to understand her way of life

You think he's talking about her first boyfriend :o :p

pcabenojar
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Thanks again Ingrid! can't wait for the next part..:)

*Kate*
Mar 6th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Thanks for all this Ingrid and to everyone who translated. Can't wait for the next part. :D

possie
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Everyone who is making reading this interview possible is a STAR!! :) :) Thankyou for your hard work and dedication to the task.

Can't wait for the next part....with photos! yah :bounce:

PS. You are very evil Ingrid keeping us all in suspense :devil:

kit
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Thank you so much again, Ingrid and co.!!! :kiss: :kiss:

Zoecrick
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Thank you so much again, Ingrid and co.!!! :kiss: :kiss:
Yeah ill say thank you aswell even tho you are a tease i come here every day to check it so you get your wish!!!!!! No seriously thanks to all the hard work and i wish i could help but hey...Re Lleyton and Kims future may it be a long and happy one!!!!

Lleykimmy1
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks to all the people who helped to do those traductions ! Special thanks to you Ingrid, the queen of suspense !!

http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif :bounce: http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/belgique.gif :bounce:

KaseyL
Mar 7th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Part 5 and last part of the interview

No cameras

translated by Mark (aka Lynx), ed. by Marly and Ingrid

Humo: While in America with Kim, did you experience how hard life at the top can be?
Lei: ‘You always have to keep your eyes and ears open. The night after the Masters Kim stayed in Los Angeles, because the plane for Amsterdam wasn't leaving before 11AM Tuesday morning anyway. The next morning at 9 AM there was a doping test. That's okay with us... but later I discovered that four players - including two American girls - had already checked out the evening before. That, also, is top sport.

Kim is easy going and doesn’t have a suspicious eye, and I cannot be present at such tests to check if procedures are followed correctly. Although I think it's wonderful of her to try to stay who she is under all circumstances, she's got to realize that behind every corner there may be somebody who wants to frame her.

You can see some girls on tour change dramatically in six months, but we won't take any risks. A year ago everybody was talking about creatine. ‘Can't hurt,’ some doctors were saying. But others warned us that this stuff could block your kidneys after seven, eight years. ‘Don't touch it’, I told her.

Translated by Annick (aka Nicky), ed. Ingrid and Marly:

Humo: You could also wonder why Kim is staying in Australia so often and for such a long time. A lot of sporters go to Australia to escape unannounced drugtests.
Lei: ‘What nonsense. Let them check all tennis players for EPO and whatever else they check on, we are not afraid of that. Kim wants to play tennis in a normal way; if there is something she does NOT want to be, it’s a machine that is programmed to win as many tournaments as possible. After all, her boyfriend is Australian, and the weather over there is supposed to be heavenly at this time of year – these are the only reasons why she’s there so often.’

Humo: When she quits tennis later on, won’t you have to coach her as well? Probably a lot of the attention she is getting now will drop, and she might need you even more at that time.
Lei: ‘I do not immediately see any problems with that. Physically she might be able to continue until she is 30, but I can’t see her doing that. Lately her joints hurt terribly. And she’s getting fed up with all the travelling.’

Humo: Sabine Appelmans is still looking for what exactly to do since she quit. And Kim will have received a 100 times more attention than Appelmans. Don’t you underestimate it?
Lei: ‘No, I quit football without any problem as well.’

Humo: With all due respect, you only played for KV Mechelen. Your daughter is quickly becoming a world star.
Lei: ‘Okay. But I know her, and she really will be able to live without all the attention. We prefer not to have all those cameras around.

Humo: Centre Court or a small outside court, it doesn’t matter to her?
Lei: ‘Basically, no. On the other hand, I do not think she still would want to be n° 40 in the rankings. She would have stopped by then.
Her long term purpose is to be able to raise her kids in all serenity, without tennis. Perhaps in 3 years time we might already be there.’

Humo: As far as tennis is concerned, does she look any further than 2005?
Lei: ‘I think that will be it for her, yes. Recently we had a company with a sponsoring proposal for 5 years, but I declined. If she can maintain this level for another 3 years, she will have enough money to last her a lifetime. And then it’s up to her to decide whether she wants to continue her life here or in Australia.
I think Lleyton has the same plans.’

Humo: Do you have faith in their relationship?
Lei: ‘Pfff, I cannot comment on that. Of every 4 people I meet nowadays, 3 are divorced. So: let those two find out for themselves whether they are made for each other.’

Humo: Perhaps it’s good that she is with somebody from the tennis world. An ordinary boy from Bree wouldn’t be able to understand her way of life.
Lei: ‘Says who? I’ve noticed that Kim and Lleyton benefit a lot from each others company during the slams and the other tournaments where men and women play at the same time. That is the most important thing for now.
Of course everything that happens between them is hyped up, but she realises that very well. Tennis is a sport in which one wins and one loses, where you cannot hide. That’s why the emotions are often so extreme.’

Humo: Talking about extremes: a short while ago you suggested to use bodyguards for Kim’s protection at certain moments.
Lei: ‘I’m not saying this for no reason. Last year a guy constantly called the organisers of the Antwerp tournament to ask a seat right behind Kim Clijsters. He only quit doing that after the police became involved. Half a year later it’s Fed Cup in Ukkel, and I see the players and the fans walking in the same area. At such times my heart starts beating 5 times faster. Also out of rage for the clumsy organisation, yes.
The worst happened last year after the final in Leipzig, when I suddenly lost her in the masses. Maybe we are overreacting in the tennis circuit after what happened to Seles, but I prefer to take my precautions.’

Humo: Finally: are you prepared for her first Grand Slam victory – maybe even this week? [note : interview during AO]
Lei: ‘I do not prepare for anything. Even if she were to win, I do not think it would be as bad as 2 years ago, after that dramatic final against Capriati at Roland Garros. I think people have gotten used to her winning a lot.
No, I will not leave for Australia, not even if she plays the final. The climate is far too hot for me, and my television has a purpose. People say I’m always hiding, but I am not allowed to sit in the sunshine, because I had skin cancer in the past.’

Humo: Don’t you want to be there if she wins her first Slam?
Lei: ‘The most important thing is that in a couple of days I will finally see her again after 3 months. I hope to do that in peace and quiet, but if she wins, she will be claimed next week again by 200 people and she’ll have to make appearances everywhere. Sometimes I hope and dream that other Belgian sporters can take over from us for a year or so. And then we all can get some rest over here.’

END OF THE INTERVIEW

-----

Again, thanks Mark, Annick and Marly for all their efforts in making this translation possible! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

I hope everyone has enjoyed reading this long and good interview. I think this is one of the few that offers such an insight in the life of a top tennis player.

KaseyL
Mar 7th, 2003, 02:49 PM
One other comment I'd like to make about this interview:

I'm quite a bit surprised that nobody made any comments in here about some of its contents, esp. when Lei talks about trying to convince Kim to leave Belgium...
quite frankly, although I can understand him from his point of view, I have a bit of a question mark re that quote... Leaving one's country just for the sake of paying less taxes (and because of being sort of fed up with certain people/treatments there), just for going to live somewhere like in Monaco or Florida where you don't know anyone, have no friends, really... :( just my opinion. Don't see how that could make Kim happy. And I certainly don't see Lleyton doing it.

Hawk
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Can you have duel citizenship in Belgium? Would she be allow to move to another country but keep her citizenship and still play for Belgium?

KaseyL
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Can you have duel citizenship in Belgium? Would she be allow to move to another country but keep her citizenship and still play for Belgium?

No, only due to marriage. If she takes let's say Australian nationality, she will loose her Belgian one, unless she marries a certain Australian. ;)That's the current Belgian law.
It therefore wouldn't be wise for Kim to adopt another nationality and thus loosing her Belgian citizenship... as long as she isn't married. One never knows what might happen and then she would have to go through the whole administrative procedure mess before becoming a Belgian again.

And only a Belgian citizen can play for Belgium, of course.

KaseyL
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:54 PM
I had promised to post the scans from the magazine, so here we go:

(note: these aren't all the pics that came with the interview, btw no new pics either)

KaseyL
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:57 PM
another one:

KaseyL
Mar 7th, 2003, 04:01 PM
and Kim with Lei:

duck
Mar 7th, 2003, 04:20 PM
You have made up for all your wickedness Ingrid!

Re taxes, this is just an opinion now but Lei obv wants to see Kim as financially secure as possible and the quickest way to do that is to cut her tax bill. Possibly if Kim does live and bring her children up in Australia the benefits of those taxes might not accrue to her and her children in terms of childcare, healthcare etc.

Obv Ll is not short of money either but Lei clearly wants Kim to have a substantial private income for the rest of her life and his thoughts may be that short-term displeasure (hopefully short anyway) expressed by the public might be worth the long term financial gains,especially as Kim is not qualified to do anything outside of tennis.

If (God forbid) she does not win a GS or two her future, post-tennis, might be difficult. Lei doesn't want that but at the same time he doesn't to want to maximize her endorsement income because it will detract from her tennis. He seems to be in a bit of a cleft stick if you ask me: he needs to accumulate as much money as he can for Kim over a short period of time, he can't use endorsements and replying on prizemoney is hard because we don't know how long Kim will sustain this level or whether her shoulder injury will reoccur.

Just fixing the typos and trying to make it clearer!

Hawk
Mar 7th, 2003, 04:31 PM
No, only due to marriage. If she takes let's say Australian nationality, she will loose her Belgian one, unless she marries a certain Australian. ;)That's the current Belgian law.
It therefore wouldn't be wise for Kim to adopt another nationality and thus loosing her Belgian citizenship... as long as she isn't married. One never knows what might happen and then she would have to go through the whole administrative procedure mess before becoming a Belgian again.

And only a Belgian citizen can play for Belgium, of course.

Oh..well that sucks :( I don't want her to move and not play for Belgium anymore. Especially considering Belgium doesn't exactly have many players, it's not like America where a player could leave and wouldn't really be missed. Don't do it Kim!!

kit
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:09 PM
A big thank you to you Ingrid and co. for the interview!!!I like the interview it's very interesting!!So thank you very much for all the work!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Mercury Rising
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Thanx for all the work people!

I wish I bought that magazine.

possie
Mar 7th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks everyone.....really enjoyed reading it..even if we were kept waiting in suspense alot :) :p

Lien
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Thanks everyone for translating this article. Really enjoyed reading it!

~|Naomi|~
Mar 8th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Thankyou SOOOOOO much to everyone who worked on this article it was really very good :worship: :worship: