PDA

View Full Version : The players according to ball kids

angele87
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:18 PM
A little insight found in this article: http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=865710

FRIENDLY FIRE: The "little people" were glad to see the back of Jennifer Capriati last week.

Capriati won the past two Australian Open singles titles but bombed out in first round of another defense, blaming a lack of preparation time since recent eye surgery.

Good riddance, according to ball boy and ball girls working at the tournament.

"She's impatient and she doesn't say thankyou," a ball boy told Tuesday's Herald Sun newspaper. "She tells us to hurry up with the towels."

Another ball boy said it was usually unknown players who were rude to them.

"Some of them a pretty awful," he said. "And the no-namers are usually worse."

Of the men, Americans Andre Agassi and James Blake and local player Lleyton Hewitt scored high marks for manners. The most polite women, reportedly, are Kim Clijsters and Venus and Serena Williams.

"Hewitt's really nice and he shook hands with me," a ball boy said. "And Agassi, everyone knows he's nice."

John McEnroe used to be a ball boy, which is why, he said, he never beat up on them no matter how much he ranted and raved at umpires.

"I yelled at a lot of people in my day," he acknowledged. "But never ball boys."

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:21 PM
nice article angele:)

jenny161185
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:22 PM
you cant blame capriati for being angry after losing in the first round od defending her title! in the us open semi final in 2001 against capriati Venus was shouting at the ball boy to hurry up and give her the ball .I always wanted to be a ball boy

Vincent
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:05 PM
Jenn, can't you be more polite?:(

tennischick
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:11 PM
what a sweet article. nice find Angele. ;) ;)

poor Jen. even the little people don't like her. LOL!

Aloysius
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:13 PM
Ball kids also tend not to like players around their own ages. They absolutely detested Martina Hingis at Wimbledon when she was a young 'un.

Also, you'll notice that a lot of the players who used to be ball kids are usually the ones most likely to be the nicest to them.

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:52 PM
God, if Jen told me to hury the fuck up I'd have a bloody orgasm out on court. :p

Keith
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:04 PM
This was one match they are basing this on. A few years ago, the French Open ball kids said she was the most polite player in the tournament, so Im not giving much creedence to one article based on one match- a match that saw the defending champ crabby because she was losing.

RAA
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by angele87

The most polite women, reportedly, are Kim Clijsters and Venus and Serena Williams.

this is nice to hear..:D

Mase
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM
Jen cant get a break can she? LORD!!!!!!!!

Hulet
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:27 PM
To be fair for jennifer, she doesn't like to stand around between points. So, if the ball boys are slow, they are disturbing her rhythm (sp?). So, I understand why she will be irritated with some of them.
And nice to hear venus and serena are nice to the ball boys.

vs1
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:01 PM
Cute article. I always respect the ball boys and girls. Not surprising to hear about Jenn and her behaviour.
Kudos to all of the players who treats the ball boys & girls well. Kim is especially thankful and respectful. At the Stanford tourney, she made a special mention to them in her little post-match speech. You know Andre treats them well! He's such an advocate for children's programs!

Midnite Surfer
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:28 PM
I have the 2001 semifinal match between Capriati and Venus on tape. Venus never yelled at a ball boy to give her the ball. She beckoned with her hand. Plus it was after she had missed a couple of serves, she was frustrated with herself not the ballkid.

Jenny 161185. That is an absolute lie, which you are telling to excuse another player's behavoir. That is very dishonorable. This article is not about one match in particular. The sources are speaking of the player's behavoirs in general. Remember. Reading comprehension is an important skill, to be used throughout one's entire life.

HAIL-VENUS
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:51 PM
yeah, I have that match on tape also, and I don't see the so called "shouting" from Vee towards any of the ball kids. I have always noticed how Venus would thank the ball kids at times when they'd give her a towel or retrieve a ball that got away from her. Anyway, I figured the most polite women would be those three. Like someone said before, Kim's the other Williams sister. Hehe.

Sofiane
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:19 PM
I think Dominic Vanroost monami, was and will always be the most polite to ball kids, she always said thank u after each ball given or use of the towel.
Nice to see that Hewitt is nice guy after all :).

JCAP
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:11 PM
For god sake does jen ever get a break :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Everyone's always puttin her down , now the bloody ballbays are even puttin the poor girl down :confused::eek: :fiery: The girl deserve's a break:mad:

Jennifer Capriati :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Leena
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:15 PM
Feh.

If I ever make it to a pro tournament someday, I wouldn't be nice to ball kids. Not because I'm a mean person, but when I'm on the court my main thoughts are "kill" and "destroy". Saying thank-you to a kid during that just doesn't fit in.

smally
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:27 PM
Hmmm.. , i thought i scrolled through to make sure there wasn't a thread on this article before starting mine. I guess my eyes deceived me.

harloo
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:55 PM
Deng even the ballboys/girls don't like Jen. Well, I guess you can't win them all. LOL

bluepastures
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:21 PM
Lyndsay Davenport was really impatient with a ball boy when she wanted to dry her hands on a towel, which was quite surprising. However, that was in the exhausting match against Henin in extremely hot conditions.

Keith
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Midnite Surfer
The sources are speaking of the player's behavoirs in general. Remember. Reading comprehension is an important skill, to be used throughout one's entire life.

Since you are so adept at comprehending what you read, This article is IN FACT, about one match. Jen only played one match at the Australian Open 2003. And the ballboys and girls were referring to this year. Serena did not play here last year, so they couldnt be referring to last year, since she was mnentioned.

FYI: ballboys and ballgirls do not tour from tournament to tournament. From what I understand, they are mostly local.

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:29 PM
I remember that Bluepastures, she was looking a little irritatd, I think the ball boy wasn't understanding she wanted a towel.... All in all, it would appear the men are a little ruder, i've seen players kinda throw the towel at the ball person in kinda a funky manner before, but its not something i see everyday.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by JCAP
For god sake does jen ever get a break :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Everyone's always puttin her down , now the bloody ballbays are even puttin the poor girl down :confused::eek: :fiery: The girl deserve's a break:mad:

Jennifer Capriati :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

They're not putting her down they're just saying she could have a little respect for them. Just because Jen is your favorite player doesn't mean you have to be on the defense, lol. If Kim acted like that, I wouldn't defend Kim out of a bias, I would be disappointed in her. You can be disappointed with your favorite player and still adore them. You can admit that Jen can be crabby sometimes on court. It's very visible. But alltogether, does that mean, she is worth hating completely, no!

debs06
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:30 PM
well if u were out in 35 degrees knowing that the media were calling u big and every1 sayin u were crap id be shoutin at some people give her a break yea sometimes she can be ignorant be so is every1 else she is human after all.jen is brilliant and to her fans dont worry shell be winning tournaments soon.

JEN I LOVES YA :kiss: :kiss: :wavey: :bounce: :worship: ;)

gossipcom
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:39 PM
I don't blame Lindsay for being impatient, in her first match there was a ball on the court at MCA and she had to go and pick it up because the ball boy decided to fall asleep <g> it was quite funny :)

The part about Capriati doesn't surprise me especially with some of the stories that have leaked out of Melbourne about her mood swings <g>

TeNnIsFaN
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:18 PM
I'm nervous...I'm going to be a ball girl at the Kroger St. Jude tournament in Memphis. And I'm scared some of the players will be total asses. And I heard a lot of them..like Andy, Anna, and Alexandra and really mean to the ball people...And I really don't want to piss any of them off no matter how much I dislike some of the players there.

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by jenny161185
you cant blame capriati for being angry after losing in the first round od defending her title! in the us open semi final in 2001 against capriati Venus was shouting at the ball boy to hurry up and give her the ball .I always wanted to be a ball boy

You saw a different match then I did. Venus has NEVER yelled at a ball boy/ball girl.

Messenger
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:24 PM
These ungrateful brats. They should be thankful that they were in the same country as Jennifer Capriati.

tennischick
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:41 PM
lol@ Messenger! :)

actually, the worst case of ill-treating a ball-kid came from the Android (Sampras for the uninformed) who asked the kid to reach up his shorts to retrieve a ball. not Pete's finest moment. nothing Jennifer does comes even close.

jenny161185
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:47 PM
actually midnite surfer its not an absolute lie even the commentators were saying how frustrated she was and becoming angry toward them i was merely pointing out when matches get tough players wont always be as polite and thats just to be expected so.
And actually im quite good at reading comprehension these ball boys may have worked with the players on one off ocasions not continously so therefore i dont know how they would know there long term behaviour.
Keith is right in what he says

Scotso
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:50 PM
From now on when people say Lleyton is rude they can just eat it.

Informative
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:23 AM
Jenny161185 LIED about Venus. Ignore her. I'm glad that Venus, Serena, and Kim made the list. It's clear that these three are unfailingly courteous and gracious on the court.

Viva
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:56 AM
That's weird for Venus though, maybe she changed but at the semi finals in 2001 at Oz Open I as there watching and she asked for her towel. After she used it she turned away and struttered off and then just let the towel drop to the ground making the poor ball boy have to leap for it. I thought that was a bit rude but eh....maybe she didn't realise.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by King Scotso of Aragon
From now on when people say Lleyton is rude they can just eat it.

They always had to eat it. I have never seen Lleyton be deliberately rude to someone unless they deserved it (Kafalnikov at the Davis Cup after the "potato field" comment and a few lines people/umpires). Other than that, he seems to take out his frustration on his racket and the flowers.

What is Jenn's problem...and in the original article (in the Herald Sun a few days ago), the ball kids also said that Sampras had been rude to them in previous years. The ball kids are there to save the players from having to chase after more balls. The players should be appreciative

1jackson2001
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by tennischick
lol@ Messenger! :)

actually, the worst case of ill-treating a ball-kid came from the Android (Sampras for the uninformed) who asked the kid to reach up his shorts to retrieve a ball. not Pete's finest moment. nothing Jennifer does comes even close.

lol for real...why would Pete want a kid to reach up his shorts?? :eek:

tennisIlove09
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 1jackson2001
lol for real...why would Pete want a kid to reach up his shorts?? :eek:

lol...it was a joke. it was at wimbledon. I dont' recall how pete ended up on the ground, but a ball went up his shorts. I believe a ball kid through it. he asked to get it out. it was funny.

Keith
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:54 PM
What Sampras did was NOT bad. Please. He jokingly told the ballboy to get it, he didnt make him get it. It was a joke and I cant beleive people don't remember this. It was not bad at all.

Again, Sampras JOKINGLY gestured to the ballboy to retrieve the ball and the whole crowd laughed. Pete took the ball out himself.

Experimentee
Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:06 PM
I've heard from various ballkids that Jen is the worst too. And i cant believe when Pete actually does something funny on court some people dont get it!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:19 PM
OMG that was hilarious w/Pete. He motioned to the ballboy to take it out and the kid starts to move in and then he jerks back like "wait a minute, NO!" Pete laughed and took it out himself, but everybody got on his back. No wonder he's usually such a stiff out there:rolleyes:

As for Jennifer, she does not seem very nice. For the ballboys who said she was nice at the '01 French Open, it's pretty damn easy to be polite and courteous to people when you're winning matches routinely. The fact she can't do it when she is losing shows what kind of person she is. I don't mean she should say thank you every time someone hands her a towel, but the impatience with everyone out there, including the ballboys, shows how she is as a losing player. Monica was voted nicest player by ballkids at the US Open this year, and that was with a foot injury, sub--standard play, and an ass kicking by Venus.

Keith
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:23 PM
I've never seen Jen be rude to the ballboys. I've watched many of her matches. I would admit it if I thought she was rude. I have never seen her throw a towel in the direction of a ballkid, only in their hands. I've never seen her roll her eyes or shrug her shoulders because a ballkid wasnt fast enough getting her a ball-even for a second serve. Jen may not be mary poppins on court, but it makes her fuckin sexy, not bitchy. Women do not have to be proper and sweet all the fuckin time, especially when they are human beings.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:25 PM
I just read that two of my favorite players are rude to ball kids. I am not defending them because they shouldn't be defended for that! So if your favorite is apparently rude to ball kids, stop being in denial and get over it. Nobody's attacking them! They're not getting locked up now because a few 12 year old kids don't like them. LOL!!

Anyway, about Sampras! Dude, if he told me to go into his pants, well, no hesitation! Sampras, I would get your ball