PDA

View Full Version : Andre & Steffi set for mixed doubles debut

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:21 AM
I don't know if this has been posted already.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Andre & Steffi set for mixed doubles debut
Tuesday, 21 January, 2003
by Tim Brimblecombe

Former women's world No.1 Steffi Graf will play mixed doubles with husband Andre Agassi at this year's French Open if he wins the Australian Open.

And after Agassi's 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 win against Frenchman Sebastien Grosjean in the quarter-finals, tennis fans are just two Agassi victories away from seeing the ultimate 'love match' come to fruition.

In an exclusive audio interview with former Australian champion Mark Woodforde on the Australian Open's official website, www.ausopen.org, Agassi said his wife must play doubles with him in Paris if he wins a fourth Australian Open title at Melbourne Park.

"For the record, and you're the first to know this, if I win here Stef has to play doubles with me in Paris," Agassi said when asked who his dream mixed doubles partner would be. "You can print that and I'll hold you to it."

Agassi and Graf were married in Las Vegas in October, 2001, and should they team-up in Paris, will bring a combined total of 30 Grand Slam singles titles to the court.

Graf retired in 1999 during which she won the French Open for a sixth time to take her career Grand Slam titles to 22 and if Agassi is successful in Melbourne it will be his eighth major.

Graf previously played mixed doubles with former world No.1 John McEnroe at Wimbledon in 1999 when they reached the semi-finals.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Go Andre WIN THIS THING! :D

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:22 AM
I would love to see that match up!

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:24 AM
I see a divorce;)

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:26 AM
if Agassi wins the Aussie.

One more reason, I want Andre to win

wongqks
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:27 AM
Steffi is so cunning, she want everyone to be on Andre's side in his semifinal match ;)

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:37 AM
Why would she play with him ONLY if he wins the AO ? It seems weird to me....Is that story true ;)

Sounds fishy....

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:40 AM
she wants to motivated him;)

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Tennisfan-Mtl
Why would she play with him ONLY if he wins the AO ? It seems weird to me....Is that story true ;)

Sounds fishy....

it's true. It's on the Aussie Open site

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:43 AM
Thanks tennisIlove09 :)

Well, I guess there are things we simply can't understand in life ;)

ChrisGermany
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:54 AM
I think that itīs true. This should be major headlines in Germany soon as weīve just woke up and when everybody in the press here translated the Australian Open homepage story, what a pressure this will be for Agassi to win it :)

Well, I think that we will see a Ferrero-Agassi semis and that will be the test to make this mixed doubles happen. I think that Roddick has a big chance to make a junior-senior US final happen and I doubt Agassi will loose.

This match in Paris could definetly be the highlight Grand Slam match this year :)

gentenaire
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:57 AM
come on, André, win it!!

ChrisGermany
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:49 AM
I wonder if Steffi knew what she said agreeing on that. Having in mind that she denied comeback rumours each time.

By the way, I think she turned her back on the public completely. Channel7 wants her to talk to them each year in Andre-matches, she refuses. German TV tries to get her to the phone each time, she refuses. She refuses comeback matches for charity. She refuses comments on female tennis. I doubt she likes the public attention this match would cause ?!

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:05 AM
Well I don't think Andre would lie. I think IF he does win this, it's legit, it will happen :)

BTW, Martina Navratilova is still playing mixed doubles. Just imagine a mixed doubles match involving Martina N/??? vs. Andre/Steffi! :eek:

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:07 AM
petey?;)

Jan 21st, 2003, 10:40 AM
It was just announced on channel 7 too. I would love to see it

Messenger
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:57 AM
If they do play, their matches would draw more attention than any of the singles!

gorecki
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by irma
I see a divorce;)

LMAO! irma! :D

yeah Baldy!!! Win this!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
I'd love to see Steffi ON a tennis court again!!! :hearts:

Nacho
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:15 AM
well it would be nice to see, but i don't want Andre to win the OZ Open...

gorecki
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:16 AM
this is the best bit of news i've heard all AO :D

YSL
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:41 PM
Wow!

What a great reason for Steffi to come back.. Something a lot of us would dearly love to see again :D

matthias
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:47 PM
now i will cheer for Andre to win the Aus-Open

spyro
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:02 PM
Maybe Andre will play Man Double two with Pete Sampras, it would be greater....*dream*

jenny161185
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:26 PM
steffi said this because it ll get andre really fired up I think he wants her back on court hope he wins!!!!

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:48 PM
woohoo...go Steffi..my first tennis love :hearts: :hearts:.

Aloysius
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:00 PM
Wouldn't adding the Mixed Doubles to his French Open campaign be an added burden to his singles chances? Assuming they don't lose early, of course. Unless that is what Andre expects. ;)

tennischick
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:04 PM
MacEnroe will be sooooo pissed!!!

it's a nice idea actually but i'm not sure either if to believe it.

what next, Jaden the ball-boy? ;) ;)

vw43
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:22 PM
I would looovvveee to see Steffi and Andre play mixed doubles. The Queen should never be so long from the tennis court ;)

Keith
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:24 PM
I got a bit teary eyes when I read that...
I'd love to see Steffi back on court!

Im going to France...who is coming?

schris
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:38 PM
COME ON ANDRE YOU HAVE TO WIN AO !!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GogoGirl
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:09 PM
I would love to see Steffi back. Here's to another reason to pull for the American.

"COME ON - ANDRE" "LET'S GET IT DONE"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,5873146%255E23216,00.html

Just a face in the crowd - Steffi Graf / AP.

Graf to return ... if Agassi wins

January 22, 2003
ANDRE Agassi may have instigated one of the great comebacks of tennis following his quarter-final win yesterday.

Fresh from success over Sebastien Grosjean, Agassi revealed he had extracted a promise from his wife Steffi Graf.

Agassi said that if he wins his fourth Open title here on Sunday, Graf will play mixed doubles with him at the French Open in May.

Graf, 33 and a year older than Agassi, retired in August 1999 after a stellar career in which she captured 22 grand slam singles championships and more than 100 other WTA titles.

"If I win here, Stef has to play doubles with me in Paris," Agassi told the Open website.

Agassi said Graf kept in touch with tennis and was a regular practice partner - and usually beat him. "The trouble is, I can't keep my eyes on the ball ," he said.

He also revealed that their son, Jaden Gil was keen to get on court.

But when it was suggested that the 15-month-old might have a genetic head start on other kids, his father wasn't so sure.

"You haven't seen the rest of my family," he said.

back

Tratree
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:20 PM
Sounds like Mr. Agassi has wanted this to happen for a while and the wife got tired of the begging and said, "Fine, you win the AO and I will play in Paris with you!" Little did she know ;)

Grafiati
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:30 PM
I like the quote from Andre about not being able to keep his eyes on the ball :D But good work in this event from Andre, and of course I would love to see Steffi in a Parisian springtime :hearts:

Havok
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:27 PM
this wouild be oh so good:)

gladysharon
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:28 PM
This I got to see...good stuff! :)

way
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:21 PM
My twopennies:
I don't like it.
I didn't for Navratilova, I don't for Steffi.

If you have the guts, go out there and play singles.
If you don't, think of your unsurpassable career and stay home.
Doubles, especially Mixed Doubles, is going to the gutter just because no *real* players play it, just legends or players who train for single.

For these kind of things there are the exhibitions.
Competitions are for ranked players

And the "bet" thing is even worse than the "navra for fun" thing.
A BET???

And what's next?
Anna Kournikova and Enrique Iglesias when she wins her first tourny?
Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky when Hillary is elected?
Irma and SelesRules if this board becomes a peaceful place?

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:32 PM
way nav played singles as a bet too.

and yeah it's kind of unrespectfull for the players who work their ass off to qualify (I said the same with Nav)

I always said that I didn't want steffi to come back. deep inside I still don't want it (there are more reasons for that)

harloo
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:43 PM
I don't know if it would be a good idea for Andre to play mixed at the French considering that the men play best of 5. The matches are so intense in the men's game it's ridiculous, but whatever.

I take that if this mixed doubles team happen they will probably lose 2nd or 3rd rnd. This will give steffi fans something to talk about for a minute, then steffi will go back to seclusion again. I think maybe she is more of a homebody, and if she makes an apperance in mixed doubles that probably will be her last ever competitive match.

jenny161185
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:05 PM
I think Andre knows his best chances of winning a slam are nt at the french so he wont mind playing doubles - he has to win oz first!
Would nt it be great if steffi entered the womens doubles too with capriati/davenport/raymond/maybe a williams sister?????? or maybe even............SELES! But i dont think monica would play doubles we can dream though!

Kris
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:17 PM
I think it is a fantastic idea!

the French crowd will see a perfect team!

RedRaider1
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:38 PM
This would be very exciting. Hopefully it will happen. It would be great to see Steffi on the court again. :)

ChrisGermany
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:37 PM
I think itīs a gesture for the French too.

I doubt they will get a seed, therefore they might be out early. So why criticizing them ?

IF it happens AT ALL, it will be fun for us all.
And this shit about qualifying, come on, who do we know that desperately tries to get into a mixed main draw who isnīt already in the doubles draw male or female and therefore does not get a spot in the draw ? I doubt theyīd take such a seed. There are a number of late entries due to early exits in singles and they just try to fill such draws. Andre+Steffi would even increase the interest in doubles and thatīs a good point.

Those critizing doubles forget that most of the top female players play doubles just for practice and fun. Kim, Jelena, Lindsay, Venus, Serena, Anna, Martina H, Martina N, Raymond, Martinez, Hantuchova ...

graf630
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:52 PM
Dreams do come true!:worship:

Bright Red
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:38 AM
Well Agassi, I'll certainly be rooting for you to win. That would be fantastic!

go hingis
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:19 AM
Just reading The daily telegraph (sydney Australia)

Doubles Bet

Australian Open favourite Andre Agassi has revealed he has a bet with wife Steffi Graf that she will have to play mixed doubles with him at the next grand slam if he wins Sunday's Melbourne Park final.
Agassi 32, said Graf was his dream mixed doubles partner.
"If I win here, Stef has to play doubles with me in Paris(in May),"Agassi said yesterday.
He once quipped that his ideal tennis match as a spectator would be for Graf "to play herself in high heels".
Agassi revealed that Graf always won when any practice sessions between them became competitive.
" I can't keep my eye on the ball," He said.
"She's in great shape. If you think I'm an inspiration at 32, you should see her at 33."

Lol how cute,
I bet the Aus Open wished they where playing there, instead of Paris, but still happy they got the story first.
And I think Steffi beats Andre fairly, why only when it becomes competitive can he not keep his eye's off her ; )

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:29 AM
Only 1 match away, Agassi storms into the finals! :D

Steffica Greles
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM
LOL If I don't remember Ms. Graf any better, I'm sure she'll find a way out of this one, somehow. There is no way she'll want people to see her past her prime.

Remember all those times she let tournament organisers down because she was "injured", when in reality she could have played?

No way. Graf won't be suckered into this one:) ;)

TommyH
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:29 PM
i would love to see graf/agassi!!!!!! :)

tinkerbell
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by irma
way nav played singles as a bet too.

and yeah it's kind of unrespectfull for the players who work their ass off to qualify (I said the same with Nav)

I always said that I didn't want steffi to come back. deep inside I still don't want it (there are more reasons for that)

irma what are the other reasons y u don't want her to come back

tennischick
Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:21 PM
loops i forgot about this thread!!

looks like Steffi will have to keep her promise!

Andre beat Wayne Ferreira 62 62 63 and is into the finals of the AO. his opponent will be either Pandy Roddick or Schuettler, both of whom should be significantly more fatigued than Agassi. barring another appearance by Clinton, what's to stop Andre's from holding that trophy aloft come Sunday?

looks like we will get a chance to see Steffi on a tennis court again. i can't wait for Roland Garros! or to see the look of disgust on McEnroe's face...

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:58 PM
irma, I'm not sure about your reasons, but I have some reservations about Steffi coming back too. I loved the way she ended her career (so to speak). I mean she was at the top of her game and tour and she left many wondering whether she'll still be a force in tennis TODAY. That's a mystery that no one will know. If you come back that kinda obliterates it a little. I mean, I suppose that really applies only to singles. So that's why I'm happy if she plays mixed (it's for fun, and it will be FUN!). I'd be really against her coming back in singles too.