PDA

View Full Version : Hantuchova's weight

M2k
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:59 AM
I am sorry but this lady is starting look unhealthy :o It seems like every time I see her she loses more weight :eek: :eek: even the ESPN crew was talking about this very same thing. .

Crazy Canuck
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:40 AM
She's just built awkwardly skinny, I assume.

I have friends who are the same way - no matter what they do, they can't put on weight. They aren't exactly high performance athletes either, which would make it damn near impossible to "fatten up".

I don't like it when people rag on players for NOT being super thin, so I'm not going to rag on somebody who is.

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:44 AM
They discussed it during the match, apparently many people have been asking her coach what was going on. He said he was aware of it but really didn't say what the remedy was or how Daniela feels about it. They said what I was thinking to .....she looks skinnier than last year almost frail.

Gowza
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:47 AM
some people just don't understand that while some people can lose or gain weight easily others have so much trouble trying to gain or lose weight.

victory1
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:52 AM
I was like that until I was 21, the kids in school were very cruel, they nicknamed me Olive Oil (popeye girlfriend). Believe me, just like it's not easy to lose weight, it's just as hard for some people to gain. I tried for years, but once I stopped obessing about my weight, I gradually gain, now at 26, I get so many compliments on my body. She will gain weight with age, that's what my doctor kept telling me, and it turned out to be true.

M2k
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by WtaTour4Ever
They discussed it during the match, apparently many people have been asking her coach what was going on. He said he was aware of it but really didn't say what the remedy was or how Daniela feels about it. They said what I was thinking to .....she looks skinnier than last year almost frail.

exactly...they said that many people were starting to feel some concern for her obvious weight loss... and I'm sorry, but her current form is definitely not her normal one... She looks awfully skinny.

M2k
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by victory1
I was like that until I was 21, the kids in school were very cruel, they nicknamed me Olive Oil (popeye girlfriend). Believe me, just like it's not easy to lose weight, it's just as hard for some people to gain. I tried for years, but once I stopped obessing about my weight, I gradually gain, now at 26, I get so many compliments on my body. She will gain weight with age, that's what my doctor kept telling me, and it turned out to be true.

well let's hope so cuz' that body is definitely not from someone who seems to be eating right.

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:02 AM
Well Meghann was pretty thin too and she has beefed up, maybe Daniela can take a page from her book. I'm not trying to critisize Daniela, but I think it would be helpful for her tennis if she gained more weight.

Playa
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:51 AM
And Monica Seles was like that too, remember?

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:54 AM
monica never looked sick

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:57 AM
I just hope she is okee.

it's just that it seemed that she lot at least 10 pounds over the break and she was already very thin. maybe I exaggerate. it's in my blood;)

Playa
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:07 AM
you're so funny Irma.
But honestly the first time a saw Monica, i thought she'll never gain some weight.
she was so damn skinny, but look at her today.

gentenaire
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:07 AM
She doesn't look very healthy. Let's hope she can gain some weight.

http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_19_01_d_hantuchova_l.jpg

Sharapower
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:19 AM
I agree that it would be good for Daniela to gain some weight, like 10 or even 20 pounds more. That would give her some more power.

Anyway, when some of you say she's not healthy, gosh, I really would like to be in the quarterfinals of Aussie open when I'm at top of form... So if there's any problem about her health, could you imagine what it would be when she is 100 % ? :bounce:

Jan 21st, 2003, 11:34 AM
I think Daniela needs to speak to a dietitian and work out what she should be eating considering the amount of physical activity she does

Aloysius
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:14 PM
Remember when Venus showed up at the 2001 AO? She was hella thin and sickly-looking. The difference was that we knew Venus had been sick at the end of the previous year with anemia.

With Daniela, we have no clue as to what is going on with her. I didn't think she had lost any weight. I thought she was always that skinny. When I saw her at the Hopman Cup, she came out looking so thin I almost couldn't see her when she turned sideways. She was like a human stick. She definitely wasn't striking the ball with the same kind of velocity she displayed throughout the previous season.

aura of daniela
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:34 PM
this is a better picture of her.

I've been big and got myself to what I consider my optimum physical position now and it's tough. You really want to do it.

Daniela is thin but sick? come on now.
She's an athlete and I agree, once she hits her 20's, I think she'll fill out naturally.

Let's wait and see ok.

She's still an angel tho ;)

Simon

Raisin
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:40 PM
She has lost some weight and even the Eurosport guys made comments on that. They said something like Daniela said she likes eating pancake but they wonder how many she's been eating lately.

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:44 PM
Aloysius - That's EXACTLY what I thought when I saw the picture. Venus 2001. I'm not saying she needs to gain weight. I am saying she needs to be careful. Female Athlete Triad (http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/sports/triad.html) is nothing to fool with.

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:47 PM
I really hope she's okay. I mean yeah, she is naturally skinny but she is looking thinner than last year. Hope the poor girl is okay cos she seems like a really decent person and it would be a bad job if she did have some sort of problem.

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:47 PM
well I am sure I read a story about venus having eatingtroubles.

ARealVenusFan
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:53 PM
The commentators really berated her during the match regarding her weight. They said her coach was concerned, but I don't know if we can really take their word.

I hope she's just thin by nature and maybe she had a bit of a growing spurt.

Jakub
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:50 PM
Daniela is too thin.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tamarine/files/2003%20Hopman%20Cup%2029%20Dec/Daniela%201.jpg

She MUST put on weight a bit.

SerenaSlam
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:54 PM
fans make their own opinoins, but when the commentators say that her own coach is concerned about her weight and wants her to put on some more pounds and muscle, you all's opinion really doesn't matter in the end. tha is enough to convience me that she is having a weight problem, when they interviewd her up close yesturday, her face really looked sucnkin in. she did get back venus 121mph, but they doesn't tell anything really, she is getting really frail! pick up some weight gurl!

Tratree
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:55 PM
She is very thin, but she's also growing. I remember Steffi talking about how difficult it was to keep the weight on that she needed to when she was playing. Nigel is a great coach and her mom is right there with her all the time. I don't think it's a medical problem at this point, but I'm sure they will see to it she doesn't get to that point.

daniela's necklace
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:06 PM
she's just a bit skinny for her height

as far as the rest is concerned: :worship:

http://www.geocities.com/shameless_poster/love.txt

Havok
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:22 PM
OMG she looks like the skeleton that can be found in every biology class, seriously. she weighs like -25 lbs. i dont know how people find that, if you can see it she's soo thin, beautiful????????????? man i would be petrified to hug her coz i'll probably crack her in half.

catkey94
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:38 PM
I wonder if her weight loss has to do with her modeling, because if you think about it both Daniella and Anna are two of the thinnest girls on the tour.

griffin
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:41 PM
Anna's not that thin.

I don't follow her enough to know, but if she's LOST weight (as opposed to having grown an inch or two and not had the rest of her catch up), I'd worry.

joegerardi
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:45 PM
Just putting on weight will not help her. Adding fat will hinder her game. It has to be calculated, proper weight gain.

Granted, the body does require some fat content, but just gobbling down some Big Macs will actually hurt her.

Also, Eastern Europeans are known for being tall and thin. This could simply be "normal" for her.

..Joe

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:47 PM
if she has a problem then no mother or coach can do anything about it.

my mother serious took care that we eat enough and still it went wrong in one case and almost wrong in my case (but the experience I got from the first case saved me)

Ma. Estefania
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:48 PM
I agree, Daniela is too slim.
I watched her match ag. Venus, and God! Her arms are like the stick of the mops, you know, sooo thin.....*yuck*
And her shoulders are also kinda weird, all her "muscles" of the back can be seen.
It's sooo weird.

Glenn
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Jakub
Daniela is too thin.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tamarine/files/2003%20Hopman%20Cup%2029%20Dec/Daniela%201.jpg

She MUST put on weight a bit.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

catkey94
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:52 PM
You can see her bones in the front of her chest, and on her back. She needs to check her caloric intake to make sure that she is eating enough to compensate for the calories that she is burning in practice and during matches.

Calvin
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:53 PM
I'm skinny like daniela (and for a guy its worse than for a girl)... whatever i do: eat a lot, work out, whatever; i am not able to pass the 60 kg barrier! And when im under stress (like during exams) i lose weight rapidly (allthough i eat more during exams), and I find it tremendously difficult to regain my previous weight.
Daniela probably has the same thing, and as her body seems to be incapable of storing fat, the only way she can gain weight is by building more muscle... Now I'm not sure if we're all talking bout the same player here, but she has proven that she has enough strength and stamina (she's a top athlete remember), and isn't unhealthy at all (being anorexic will NOT get you to no5)... So i guess thats just the way her body is... when she gets older her behind and breasts will probably expand a little, but don't expect her to fatten up drastically...

Lindsayfan
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:15 PM
she was prettier last year! ;)

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:17 PM
I hate you pingwin!!!! I have to work my ass off in the gym and eat all the right things to keep my ass in tip top shape and you can't even put on a pound after eating a choclate double rasperberry cake and two shakes? ARRRGHHHHHH!

You mutant skinny people! Whats your secret?:kiss:

Leena
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:20 PM
I'm 6'3 myself, and I know how hard it is to gain weight with my size. There's nothing you can really do... even lifting weights, exercise... it doesn't do much.

Dani's always had a slight build, so I don't think there's anything wrong with her. It would definitely help her to gain some weight, I think it's the only thing holding her back from getting to Venus' level... but like I say, it's hard.

Nimi
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by David de pingwin
I'm skinny like daniela (and for a guy its worse than for a girl)... whatever i do: eat a lot, work out, whatever; i am not able to pass the 60 kg barrier! And when im under stress (like during exams) i lose weight rapidly (allthough i eat more during exams), and I find it tremendously difficult to regain my previous weight.
Daniela probably has the same thing, and as her body seems to be incapable of storing fat, the only way she can gain weight is by building more muscle... Now I'm not sure if we're all talking bout the same player here, but she has proven that she has enough strength and stamina (she's a top athlete remember), and isn't unhealthy at all (being anorexic will NOT get you to no5)... So i guess thats just the way her body is... when she gets older her behind and breasts will probably expand a little, but don't expect her to fatten up drastically...

Same as me. I just hate it.

Tatiana Panova
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:34 PM
Everyone body type is obviously very different and Dani is very ectomorphic, but that does not mean that she needs to be matchstick thin. A small layer of fat on any athlete is very healthy, but it seems that Dani does not even have that.

I encourage her to do weight training, but eat some cream cakes, burgers whatever at the same time - when you're that thin, you just don't need to watch your weight religiously. If she does the weight-training without eating a lot she will be seriously damaging her body fabric.

Leena
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:45 PM
I agree that weight-training without eating will do damage.

Eating fatty foods won't make you gain weight however, if you have a high metabolism, and are constantly burning the fat off with exercise like Dani is. It will come when her body fills out... she's only 19.

Varissle
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:23 PM
I am 1m83 and my weight is 57 kg, just like daniela. i eat like a normal men, eaven more and i just don't gain weight.
I think daniela is ok

Ma. Estefania
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by cybelledarkholmexx
I have to work my ass off in the gym and eat all the right things to keep my ass in tip top shape and you can't even put on a pound after eating a choclate double rasperberry cake and two shakes? ARRRGHHHHHH!
You mutant skinny people! Whats your secret?:kiss:

I agree.:o

tennisfan1972
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:53 PM
Well i eat about 5 times a day and i never gain anything.. but seriously why is daniela 's weight such an issue. I never hear anybody complain about Guga'a weight or juan carlos ferrero's etc.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:00 PM
Because you never look at Guga and Juan and go "holy shit he's so skinny!" Yes they're thin, but not ridiculously so and they have some muscle definition, at least in their legs. I saw Daniela play live and she looks like a sheet of paper. However, I don't think she has an eating issue, just needs to weight train.

Daja, on the other hand, I'm convinced has an eating disorder. She looks like she is from a third world country

bobcat
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by tennisfan1972
but seriously why is daniela 's weight such an issue.

Well, her coach thinks it's an issue, so I have to go with him.

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:23 PM
If you ribs are showig through your skin, you're too slender.

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:38 PM
And to think, the tv ADDS 10-15 lbs to you....that is a scary thought.

daniela's necklace
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
If you ribs are showig through your skin, you're too slender.

:eek: I can tell her nipples thru her shirts (sorry guys dont mean to be a pig it just shows on most of her pics) but not her ribs :eek:

:sad:

Lisbeth
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:50 PM
Seeing as Daniela is an elite athlete, I'd be amazed if she didn't already have a dietitian, and a doctor, and a physical trainer and so on. She's probably just naturally skinny like many tall active teenagers, but I'm sure if there's a problem someone will help her.

daniela's necklace
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:53 PM
yeah and like someone already said, she's with her mom and coach most of the time, I doubt they wouldn't take care of her, if she's made it this far she must be in very good shape

ha

Venus Forever
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry, but she is disgustingly thin. She really needs to put some weight on.

And this is coming from one of her fans.

Being too thin is not going to help her, she may be more proned to injuries. You never know.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:40 PM
Well, I was fortunate enough to watch Daniela and Meghann playing doubles on court 4 a few days ago. I was in the front row and only a few feet away from the players.

I'm here to tell you that, however the photos make it look, Daniela looks great, not sickly in any way....very healthy indeed....*glowing* with health.... and quite beautiful. However, she does also look a bit more physically frail than I'd like to see in an athlete. She currently looks more like a model.

Meghann is almost as tall as her, and almost as slim in her build, but she is quite muscular these days, as discussed on another thread. I'd be happy if Daniela could gradually put on 10 or 15 pounds of lean muscle to get more the sort of appearance that Meghann now has and the extra power that must go with it.

gweeny
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:06 AM
Although it is hard for me to grasp that people can eat junk food, and not gain weight. It might be a possibility for Daniella, since she is also an athlete. But she might need to start lifting weight or eating carbs.

In those pictures, she really looks emaciated. I hope she does not have an eating problem.

Colin B
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:10 AM
Perhaps it has something to do with playing and training for hours every day in the heat (we've heard about the heat and humidity at the Aus Open many times).
As others have said, she has a whole team of experts looking after her. I'm sure, if they are concerned, they will be on the case.

I have a teenage daughter (admittedly, younger than Daniela) who eats pretty much the same amount as I do but while I'm always fighting the flab, nothing ever 'sticks to her ribs'. It's probably the same with Dani.

xan
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:17 AM
Daniela HAS lost weight recently - which isn't good from a power point of view. Her results have gone slightly downhill with her weight these last few months.

She does look painfully thin now, and would benefit from some weight training.

Leena
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:43 AM
Just because Dani's coach said he's worried about her weight doesn't mean she's sick or anorexic or anything. It means she needs to put on more weight to be a better player. And if Dani was really sick... she wouldn't be reaching the QF's of a GS.