PDA

View Full Version : Has there been other great tennis tragedies/incidents besides the Seles stabbing?!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:46 AM
I know a few with footie like Hillsborough '89 and JFT 96, and the plane crash of the Man U team in the '60s I think. I am just curious if such tragedies ever occurred to a famous tennis player, or at a match with a fan(s) like Hillsborough or something. I know this is a depressing question, but just curious. Or scandals even?!

fhkung
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:49 AM
Williams Final:rolleyes:

hingis-seles
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:50 AM
Maureen Conolly being hit by a truck while riding a horse. She couldn't play tennis again and later on died of cancer.

tennisIlove09
the entire "Jennie on drugs" was pretty dark for the tennis world I think.

disposablehero
Nothing remotely close. Mo Connolly was thrown by her horse, damaging her leg to the point where her career was ruined. Alice Marble spent some time in an asylum before she dominated. Between those and BJK/MN both being "outed" that is about it.

hingis-seles
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:51 AM
Jenny being on durgs and shoplifting was not exactly a tragedy. She chose to do so. I know she was young and whatever, but she chose her fate. Seles did not choose to get stabbed, Conolly did not choose to be hit by a truck.

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:40 AM
I think a Jewish German player committed suicide in 1930's due to the rising Nazism in the country. I'm not sure anybody has more info?

caseyl45
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:56 AM
While not exactly a tragedy, this one is certainly fits into the "incident" category. In 1912, U.S. player Dick Williams survived the sinking of the Titanic. When rescued, the doctor treating him suggested that his legs be amputated. He refused and went on to win two U.S. singles titles and four Grand Slam doubles titles.
As a junior player, Stefan Edberg accidentally hit a linesperson in the groin with a serve, the man fell over forward, hit his head and ended up dying of his injuries. Can't think of anything in the women's game that comes close to comparing to what happened to Monica, though.

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:02 AM
:eek: at the Stefan Edberg incident. That's scary.

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't describe any tragedy as "Great".....but thats just me.

BasicTennis
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:09 AM
the bird that get killed after being struck by a powerful topsin drive during the mens doubles semifinals at the 2002 Australian Open.:angel:

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
the bird that get killed after being struck by a powerful topsin drive during the mens doubles semifinals at the 2002 Australian Open.:angel:

LMAO!!

I think Anna Kournikova losing 06 16 to Henin-Hardenne is pretty tragic too :o

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by hingis-seles
Jenny being on durgs and shoplifting was not exactly a tragedy. She chose to do so. I know she was young and whatever, but she chose her fate. Seles did not choose to get stabbed, Conolly did not choose to be hit by a truck.

so true. don't even understand how people can name or see it in the same breath. :rolleyes:

I think there was a junior worldchampion in the early eighties who got in a bad accident and her whole career was ruined before it even started.

gentenaire
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:50 AM
:eek: @ Stefan Edberg incident!

Crazy Canuck
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:52 AM
As a junior player, Stefan Edberg accidentally hit a linesperson in the groin with a serve, the man fell over forward, hit his head and ended up dying of his injuries.

Ack.

A guy I live with tried to claim this story to me, omitting who did it because he doesn't watch tennis and didn't know - I thought that it was a crock of shit.

Eek :eek:

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:53 AM
I thought he got a heartattack at that moment?

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:01 AM
African-American pro Andrea Buchanon was shot to death over twenty years ago.

Former junior players Xenia Anasdiadou and famous tennis playing triplet Christine O'Reilly being killed in auto accidents.

And I think the player Sam L was referring to is Baron Godried Van Cramm.

I also think Bill Tilden and Suzanne Lenglan both died tragically.

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:03 AM
didn't suzanne lenglen died of cancer at 34 same for maureen connoly!?

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:04 AM
bill tilden was put in jail accused of being a sexo-phedophile I think

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:12 AM
some shocking stuff in the Dec issue of Tennis Australia mag (they copied the same ones but used only 23 from Ace Mag's (Nov issue) 40 shocking events

a Tennis fan shot while watching tennis
at 1977 US Open Forest Hills.

a fan was watching tennis courtside when he was suddenly shot in the leg by someone letting a gun off outside the court.
Police never found out who did it.

salima
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:24 AM
Anyone here remember the name of the female player who died from a heart attck while jogging out after a match?

it was maybee not a WTA-tournament, but the news reached my cold shores

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Jakeev
And I think the player Sam L was referring to is Baron Godried Van Cramm.

No definitely not the Baron. The baron died in a car accident in Egypt in the 1970's. Plus he wasn't jew, although Hitler didn't like him for various other reasons. Rollo and Zummi posted quite a bit of info on him in the "1930's" thread in BFTP! ;)

Also irma, Suzanne died for Pneumonia I believe and Maureen Connolly died of cancer I don't know which cancer.

Yep true about Bill Tilden too, but that wasn't how he died. However, I read he died alone with few friends and little money.

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:42 AM
Sam L the player you are referring to wasn't he involved with Bill Tilden?

ANd the only player I can think of you might be talking about Salima was Karen Krantzke.

Aloysius
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:49 PM
Thomas Muster was hit by a car at the 89 Lipton tournament. He managed to survive, rehabilitate himself on a home-made contraption so that he could continue hitting tennis balls, and then returned about a year later. He went on to win a record 13 tournaments (12 on clay, 1 indoors) in 1995 including the French Open crown, and eventually secured the World No. 1 ranking early in 1996. Sadly, Thomas no longer has any connections to tennis. Doesn't play socially. Doesn't watch. Doesn't even own any racquets. He's also recently divorced from his ex-wife and currently settled back in Austria with a new girlfriend. His story was more an incident than a tragedy, I guess.

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:13 PM
The one's that end careers altogether are the worst. Connolly was the best player who had a career-ending 'tragedy/incident'.

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:14 PM
Well, that was stupid. Any incident where the player DIED is the worst. 'Career-ending' is a distant second.

Mase
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:21 PM
This may be way off, but back in the day, wasnt there a male player that actually dressed as a female and played on their tour?!?!

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:24 PM
well they said muster could never play again but he fought (same for herman m and skying)

the tragedy was that it was not an accident accident but some stupid alcoholic idiot:(

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:46 PM
Gloria Pizzichini was hit by a car last October or November.

I'd say Corina Morariu's leukemia was pretty tragic.

I read somewhere a player died of heat exhaustion in the Australian Open in the 70s or early 80s.

Mac

Katie
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:14 PM
Thomas Muster:Coming back after his terrible car crash!That was something!

way
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
Well, that was stupid. Any incident where the player DIED is the worst. 'Career-ending' is a distant second.

I wouldn't have used the word stupid.
It's simply either naive or fan-like.
But I'm with you.
When comparing tragedies, think what you would choose if it should happen to you or one of your dears.
Saying that something is *worse* because it happened on court has nothing to do with real life and/or with caring for the others.
It's stuff for die hard fans only.

shirley
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:04 PM
Arthur Ashe dying from Aids which he developed following a blood transfusion

lizchris
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Bradshaw#1
Gloria Pizzichini was hit by a car last October or November.

I'd say Corina Morariu's leukemia was pretty tragic.

I read somewhere a player died of heat exhaustion in the Australian Open in the 70s or early 80s.

Mac

I remember reading somewhre that a player died in either 1977 or 1978 on the court in either the AO or the USO.

Maxine
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by salima
Anyone here remember the name of the female player who died from a heart attck while jogging out after a match?

Reading the Ace magazine The Boiled Egg was talking about and her name was Karen Krantzcke, she was once 9 in the world. She won the doubles final of a tournament and said she hardly broke a sweat and went for a run and died half an hour later. It says she had a rare cardiac condition.
Also has another line judge death - Marianne Werdel was playing Elizabeth Minter in the 1983 junior US Open. The line judge was hit in the groin with a ball , fell off his chair and cracked his head off the hard court and had a heart attack on the way to hospital.

Not so tragic, but also has a story that in 1993 when Elena Makarova was seen on tv collecting a cheque a Russian man phoned her mother and said if he didnt get half the money he'd mutilate a member of the family, and they gave him the money:eek:

williamsfan
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:44 PM
Anyone remember Renee Richards?

Iconoclast
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:52 PM
Yeah, Edberg killed a guy in the final and took home the Junior Boys' trophy at the 1983 US Open.

The linesman received a groin shot from a serve, fell over backwards, smacked his head down on the canvass and suffered a serious injury. He was transferred to hospital, but died five days later of a blood swelling in the brain (subdural hematoma).

The story does have an 'Urban Legend' touch to it, though. Can any one confirm it, perhaps someone who followed the U.S. Open that year?

Iconoclast
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:54 PM
Two linesmen deaths at the 1983 U.S. Open, both hit by balls in the groin! I think the Edberg story is made up. Perhaps because of his reputation as Mr. Nice Guy. Would be ironic.

Hurley
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:59 PM
Vitas Gerulaitis dying of carbon monoxide poisoning...

Rollo
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:21 PM
The Edberg story is true. The linesman's name was Dick Wertheimer. The ball knocked him in the groin and the fall to the ground (where he hit his head) knocked him unconscious. He died of complications soon after of heart complications. Perhaps the Minter story (which I've never heard) and the Edberg story got connected somehow.

Krantzcke's name is carried on by a WTA sportmanship award given in her name.

One of the worst things to happen during a tennis was a plane crash in the 1920s during the men's US open final at Forest Hills.
It crashed near the stadium and killed some people. I think play was not interrputed.

way
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Iconoclast
Two linesmen deaths at the 1983 U.S. Open, both hit by balls in the groin! I think the Edberg story is made up. Perhaps because of his reputation as Mr. Nice Guy. Would be ironic.

I wasn't there, Iconoclast., but i heard commentators speak about it very often.
The story has a venue, names and surnames.
I don't think there's the slightest chance it's made up.

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:24 PM
why would they make such a story up?

I think I even heard edberg talk about how it changed his attitude on court!

Maxine
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Rollo
The Edberg story is true. The linesman's name was Dick Wertheimer. The ball knocked him in the groin and the fall to the ground (where he hit his head) knocked him unconscious. He died of complications soon after of heart complications.

Krantzcke's name is carried on by a WTA sportmanship award given in her name.

On of the worst things to happen during a tennis was a plane crash in the 1920s during the men's US open final at Forest Hills.
It crashed near the stadium and killed some people. I think play was not interrputed.
OK i am only going by what Ace magazine has, but the linejudge killed in the Werdel match was also called Dick Wertheimer! so maybe he didn't die during the Edberg match:confused: or maybe Ace is wrong?

Rollo
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:43 PM
I think Ace may have made a mistake somehow. I double-checked through the New York Times and the only linesperson to die was the one hit by Edberg. My guess is someone heard or saw 1983 US Open junior final and just mixed the gender up! When I did a search for the girl's final it just reported the score.

Iconoclast
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:43 PM
Yup, seems legit. Dug up this tidbit (apparently the USTA was sued by his family):

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Wertheimer+edberg&hl=da&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=529k2b%24sht%40geraldo.cc.utexas.edu&rnum=1

Maxine
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Rollo
I think Ace may have made a mistake somehow. I double-checked through the New York Times and the only linesperson to die was the one hit by Edberg. My guess is someone heard or saw 1983 US Open junior final and just mixed the gender up! When I did a search for the girl's final it just reported the score.
That is really poor that ACE magazine couldnt even get it right when people on here found the info in such a short time:rolleyes:

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:01 PM
Another tragic incident I guess was about former Czech player Regina Marsikova. She was a highly touted player in the late 70s and i think had even won some clay-court titles.

She evidentally was involved in some car accident in then Czechoslovakia that made her have to do some jail time.

She attempted to make a comeback in the mid 80s when she got out of jail, but I don't think she was ever the same type of player.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Jakeev
Sam L the player you are referring to wasn't he involved with Bill Tilden?

ANd the only player I can think of you might be talking about Salima was Karen Krantzke.

Is that why they named it the Karen Kranztke Sportmanship Award?! Well, I assume

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:08 PM
Former top-100 player Elena Wagner lost her husband when they were only married for a short time. Not sure why though.

And there is the story of German Davis-Cup player Michael Westphal who got mysteriously ill during his career. He died a few years later. I have heard somewhere that it was AIDS.

irma
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:12 PM
I think her husband died of cancer

and stich's (ex)wife confirmed that westphal died because of aids. she was his gf that time.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:15 PM
This is all really sad stuff. For me, the saddest thing is about the ballboy that died. I don't know how I would feel knowing that, uninitentionally, the action of my hand killed another person.

Rollo
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:17 PM
Marsikova killed a person while driving drunk around 1982 or so.

Hurley
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:24 PM
Scotty Draper's newlywed wife died of cystic fibrosis about...3 years ago.

Leena
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:24 PM
Wow, that Edberg story is scary... that would really have to affect him because the linesmen get hit all the time.

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:33 PM
I think Mrs. Guga that Karen was known as THE nicest player to ever play the game in her day. I don't think there was a player that did not like her when she was on tour.

I think it's a great honor to recieve that award in her name.

CJ07
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:15 AM
BJK is gay?!?!?

didnt know that

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:21 PM
Jakeev no I don't think that person I was referring to had any connections with Bill Tilden, I could be wrong.

Gosh I forgot this name! :(