PDA

View Full Version : Daniela Hantuchova has all of the makings to be the next GWH

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:33 AM
Hingis gone.
Davenport going.
Capriati slipping.
Seles gone in a year.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030121/capt.1043134944australian_open_mel148.jpg

Now the commentators are starting to pump Daniela once again as the next GWH. Hey, after all she all beat a one-legged VENUS and made the #2 go three sets.
However this year VENUS played on two good legs and the match went two sets. :rolleyes:

But, if her coach gets her on three shakes a day, along with her meals, she may gain those much needed pounds and play a losing three setter against a health VENUS one day. :)

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:36 AM
Now you're taunting. Stop. Dani's fans don't deserve this.

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:41 AM
Not really directed at Daniela or her fans.

But those commentators are seemingly unrelenting in their search to stop those two black players that it is getting quite annoying at times.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:49 AM
Thank you, Volcana.

Shane54
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:00 AM
Thanks Volcana. Look who's the one who brought up race, but will be the first to cry racism in other threads.....Best of luck Venus and Serena in your next matches :)

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:03 AM
Shane - How's Jenn doing, buddy? :p

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:03 AM
Got to agree with TeeRex though if she is gonna be the next greater anything she definitely needs to gain some weight or muscle.

Shane54
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:11 AM
She lost and guess what my life goes on. As you can see I don't live on these boards. And my whole life doesnot revolve around Jennifer. But I was the better person, I wished the sisters good luck in my post, instead of trashing other players like some posters do.

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:29 AM
I am proud of you Shane, me boy. :p

Sharapower
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Volcana
Now you're taunting. Stop. Dani's fans don't deserve this.

... and the Williams sister don't deserve a fan like TeeRexx :devil:

And I really think Daniela's going to be a players that counts on the tour. And if she's beaten by Serena and Venus whatever ? She's not the only one.

The today match shows she doesn't play in such a lower level than Vee. She still needs to improve. Remember, Teerexx, how long it took to V & S to overcome Hingis domination so you don't have to be that arrogant.

V & S play great tennis and right now they rule but just behind are Kimmie and Dani who are becoming the real threats. And that's great for the tour too.

And... what the hell color or race have to deal with that stuff :eek: ?

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:59 AM
GWH : Great White Hope ? I'm not familiar with that expression...Is that what it means...?? If so, why bringing the race factor ? And then you'll freak out if we mention the word Black...

Philbo
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:14 AM
cuz he is a plain old f_ckhead is old Tee Rexx...

Wojtek
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:20 AM
GWH : Great White Hope ????????????

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TeeRex you should go to psychiatrist .

Gowza
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:39 AM
truthfully i'm not into all this great white hope stuff. i mean is there a problem that we have african americans dominating the womens tour? currently they are the players playing the best tennis in the world and i don't see what problem colour is. the tennis is good and that is all that matters.

this thread just like the media is hyping players up wether it be juniors starting their pro career or an already pro player being given pressure to do something.

but i do think daniela is a very good player and to me she looks like the current top 10 player that has the most potential. to me it looks like she is only at 1/4 of her potential but i could be wrong. for all i know she might have no more potential.

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:59 PM
Gowza - Sure this is a hype thread and one of sarcasm at the frantic search to find someone to down the Williams.
Daniela is a good player, but she is way beyond the 1/4 level of development. Being 20 years old she should be about the 90% level at this time.

We wouldn't want 21 year old SERENA to improve by 75% now would we? :)

ragamuffin
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Gowza - Sure this is a hype thread and one of sarcasm at the frantic search to find someone to down the Williams.
Daniela is a good player, but she is way beyond the 1/4 level of development. Being 20 years old she should be about the 90% level at this time.

We wouldn't want 21 year old SERENA to improve by 75% now would we? :)

Ever heard of the term late boomer?

aura of daniela
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Not really directed at Daniela or her fans.

But those commentators are seemingly unrelenting in their search to stop those two black players that it is getting quite annoying at times.

Whats this got to do with black and white Rexx?????

The day some of you (not all) Williams fans take a victory over Daniela gracefully is the days those two retire I think.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:19 PM
TeeRexx:

When Navratilova was dominating tennis, there seemed to be a disproportionate dislike of her -- until Graf came along and started dominating, at which point Navratilova became a sentimental favorite.

Everybody seemed to dislike Graf, and were thrilled when ASV came back from her upset stomach to win RG in 1989. Then Seles came along and started dominating Graf -- and suddenly Graf seemed to be the sentimental favorite for the most part.

Then Seles got stabbed, and when she came back, she became the sentimental favorite.

Of course, all the disliking of those players when they dominated was OK, because they were white. :rolleyes:

apoet29
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:29 PM
Tee, when I first joined this board, I realized that you have taken it upon yourself to be the agent provocateur here and that is fine. However, I don't agree that people are just looking to bring down the Williams sisters by overhyping "white" players. Any player with the potential to be a grand slam champion receives tons of overhype by the media. I seem to recall the same overhype was given to Venus and Serena back in the early days of their careers. The same is being applied to Daniela right now. Whether or not Dani can live up to the hype is a different situation; however, she has been making great progress in the last two years, so she still has time to become a great threat on the tour.

BTW, if you think the commentators and media are trying to bring down the sisters, just look at Kournikova. The beatings she takes from the media on a day-to-day basis are horrific.

spokenword73
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:37 PM
You forgot Clijsters!

griffin
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:43 PM
Thank you Ted and apoet!

Oddly enough, the only thing I've heard Dani hyped as (not counting her fans) is "the next Kournikova" - which frankly doesn't sound all that hopeful to me

disposablehero
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by apoet29
Tee, when I first joined this board, I realized that you have taken it upon yourself to be the agent provocateur here and that is fine.

Apoet, if you know anything about the biology of carnosaurs, you would know that the Tee Rexx typically has a brain about the size of a walnut. So please don't use phrases like "agent provocateur". He has enough diffiuclty comprehending "troublemaker".

apoet29
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by disposablehero
Apoet, if you know anything about the biology of carnosaurs, you would know that the Tee Rexx typically has a brain about the size of a walnut. So please don't use phrases like "agent provocateur". He has enough diffiuclty comprehending "troublemaker".

OMG! That is just so evil! :devil:

Havok
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:59 PM
well i think Dokic ha sa better shot at beeing the GWH instead of Hantuchova. she did beat Venus, and pushed Serena into a tie-break 2 times. she's working on her serve while everyone else was playing at Oz and she's trying to improve. i think Dokic has a greater shot than Hantuchova

Scorch
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by apoet29
OMG! That is just so evil! :devil:

:D :D :D

joegerardi
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Naldo
well i think Dokic ha sa better shot at beeing the GWH instead of Hantuchova. she did beat Venus, and pushed Serena into a tie-break 2 times. she's working on her serve while everyone else was playing at Oz and she's trying to improve. i think Dokic has a greater shot than Hantuchova

Except that Dani has consistently beat Jelena all of last year. (With *I believe* one exception?)

In order for Jalena to be the NBT - that's "Next Big Thing," I don't buy this GWH crap - she's got to be able to beat the person she's supposed to replace.

..Joe

Midnite Surfer
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:58 PM
Actually people didn't like Serena and Venus before they dominated. They were referred to, indirectly of course, as not graceful, overly physical(in a sport no less), brawny etc. They were not pushed to the top as fervently as some "other' players.

The Great White Hope was a pretty common term in the United States. The term originated within another sport in which Blacks seemed to dominate disproportionatly; boxing. There was even a movie titled, "The Great White Hope" It starred James Earl Jones and some white people. Its funny but a lot of commentators do draw parallels between the two sports.

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:56 PM
Midnight - Thanks, bur some folks just don't want to try and understand.
But, that is life.

Hey, DH, when is the retirement party?
I'll bring the cheese and crackers. LOL :)

Monica_Rules
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:58 PM
How do you know Monica will be gone in a year?