PDA

View Full Version : Daniela question 3 calls and she was wrong 3 times??

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:25 AM
I really like Daniela and her game, but am wondering does she need glasses? Can anyone tell me if this kid wears contacts? I can see all that all those shots from my TV set were good?
Also Mary Carillo and Pam keep talkin how veus is not playin that great, but remained MUM about Daniela's not too good matches. Give me a break.

Sheesh, Why don't these fools COMMENTATE the match instead of taking about how their opponents can beat VENUS OR SERENA?

SHUT UP BIASED FOOLS AND "COMMENTATE". We need Martina and Billie.. Please.

BasicTennis
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:46 AM
consistency I guess.:rolleyes:

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:48 AM
I love shot spot! :)

BK4ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:52 AM
I know the way they are fawning all over Dani is disgusting. Dani is a whiny chic...she stares down the lines people on practically every call.

Dani does have a great BH, not better than Vee's but nice

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:58 AM
They are just pumping up another potential GWH against the WILLIAMS , that's all. :)

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:03 AM
I agree with you Tee-rexx, instead of enjoying the tennis that V@S display, they are PLEADING for someone to beat them. disgusting! Commentators are supposed to show no bias at all while screwing up their job.

Omg, Pam just brought up Serena and Loit again. That match is history folks.. I am like Loit who? lmao

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:06 AM
that's funny!

Loit who? Loit who?

reminds me of a basketball cheer we use to do with the star's name from the opposing team.

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:09 AM
I think if more players saw how wrong they often where when they debate calls they would stop worrying about line calls and get to the business of tennis.

I agree with Rocketta I love shot spot too.

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:09 AM
well her questioning those early calls really worked for her because all of a sudden the chair is overruling shit. :mad:

Informative
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:11 AM
Dawn Marie and TeeRexx are absolutely right! And as we all know the BS and lies will continue. Thankfully Venus and Serena are stronger than all the crap that others attempt to heap on them. Long live V & S! Shriver, Hernandez and their ilk are drowning in an ocean of Venus envy. Let 'em drown...

Uxobi
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:12 AM
Go Venus!!!:D

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:17 AM
I really think Dani will be #1 one day but she needs to work on her emotions on the court. Hoping balls will be in and kinda whining about it won't cut it. She did that when she played Hingis at Indian Wells too. She needs to work on that cause it can have a negative effect on her game.

Anyway, Fearless Venus and Dani rule:)

Uxobi
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:20 AM
I thought the fake "out" cries were so silly. When Dani looks at the tape she'll realize that she made a complete idiot of herself, and the announcers were making fun of her. Vee did not let her bother her. Venus just kept on playing to victory.

BK4ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:21 AM
Damn she is getting on my nerves with her complaining :rolleyes:

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:24 AM
Same here, daniela has got to quit crying and just play already.

Venus amazes me, the women doesn't always play her best tennis but still win her matches. Venus and her game is amazing.:)

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:37 AM
Who says Venus isn't playing good tennis? She looked pretty damn good against Daniela today.:rolleyes:

Chance
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:39 AM
I was thinking the same Dawn Marie & BK4ever

Hantuchova hopes the ball goes out so many times instead of just concentrating and returning and gives those staredown, damn she was irritating.
The umpire was a dickhead- Jacob Diaz same dude who overruled a lob shot in favour to Henman at Wimbly because he didn't have the balls to go against the English crowd. :(

What I find baffling is the fact when Vee didn't play any tune up tournaments Vee reaches the semis but when Vee did play GC or Adidas she qets to the quarters.......and I was so worried during the offseason thinking Vee should play a tournament before Melbourne to get used to the condiditons. I'm so glad she proved me wrong.

GOOOOO Vee- Vee still needs to cut down those errors and improve her second serve but I'm so happy she is in the semis. :D

Sharapower
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:57 AM
OMG give me a break please : EVERY player dispute line calls, sometimes they're right sometimes they're wrong. And even some players like Cappy or Arantxa (and according Venus, Serena too) really cheat on it and talk crap.

And every chair umpire happen to be wrong on their decision.

ALL THAT STUFF IS PART OF THE GAME :cool:

It's weird you guys make it such a big deal when it's Daniela who did it.

Scorch
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:11 AM
Its another conspiracy theory!!

Commentators have ALWAYS talked relentlessly about how to beat dominant players during their matches. They did it for Steffi (has anyone ever sat through one of her matches without a commentator lamenting about her ‘weaker’ backhand), they did it for Monica (the BBC commentary for French Open finals 1992 was sooo biased towards Steffi it is laughable), they did it for both Martinas. And now they are doing it for Venus and Serena who are the most simultaneously dominant duo since Seles and Graf were in 1990-93.

THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY AGAINST VENUS AND SERENA - IT HAPPENS TO ALL THE GREAT PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:17 AM
Oh I know all players dispute calls that really isn't what I was getting at. I am sayin she *clearly*lets balls that are *clearly* good get to her. I saw Venus's shots and I could tell they were in from 5 ft from the T.V. I really believe Dani knew most of them calls were good but was piqued that the rally didn't go her way. All I am sayin is that she has to grin and bare it and focus on the next shot. I like Little "D" and I want her to do her best. Just NOT when she is up against my 5 top favorites.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:18 AM
Scorch - Your words, which are totally logical, will merely fall on deaf ears.

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:27 AM
Scorch, that is not true for American media. THEY ADORED DAVENPORT,CAPRIATI,AGASSI,SAMPRAS,RODDICK,CHRISSY and many others not once PLEADING and HOPING that some player would stop their dominance. They don't go on and on about how to beat the above mention players while they are playing the match. It all about how great THEIR SHOTS are. When V@S play all yah hear is how GREAT their opponent is. Sure they throw in a comment like this. " Well if yah want to win a game from venus yah gotta hit it deeper then that" What about this though: "what a great running forhand from Venus Williams". They will in a heartbeat go banannas over their opponents shots and shout praise. Really they come off so biased. Thank god I am aware. :wavey:

Scorch
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:44 AM
Dawn, I cannot comment on the majority of US commentators, but I have heard Pam Shriver, Jonny Mac and Chris Evert commentate on Williams matches. I think I may just miss most of the comments you speak of because I am not a die-hard Williams fan. I know that when Monica was in the same position as the Willies are now that I noted EVERY biased or unfair comment made against her. Since you are one of the most faithful fans of the Venus and Serena (Venus most?) I am sure that you also note every out-of-line comment.

But there will always be players who are darlings of the media (Evert is a famous example - especially compared to Navratilova!!) and to an extent I would expect the commentators to be letting the people at home know how a lesser ranked player should be playing in order to beat either Serena or Venus (who have not even reached their full potential yet). Remember not all the viewing audience is as knowledgable in tennis tactics as the majority of posters here.

There are plenty of good things to say about both venus and serenas games, there are some critical things to be said too. And after all it would sound pretty funny to hear a commentator go into detail about how venus should beat Daniela when all venus has to do is play her normal game!!

GoGoMaggie
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Scorch
Dawn, I cannot comment on the majority of US commentators, but I have heard Pam Shriver, Jonny Mac and Chris Evert commentate on Williams matches. I think I may just miss most of the comments you speak of because I am not a die-hard Williams fan. I know that when Monica was in the same position as the Willies are now that I noted EVERY biased or unfair comment made against her. Since you are one of the most faithful fans of the Venus and Serena (Venus most?) I am sure that you also note every out-of-line comment.

But there will always be players who are darlings of the media (Evert is a famous example - especially compared to Navratilova!!) and to an extent I would expect the commentators to be letting the people at home know how a lesser ranked player should be playing in order to beat either Serena or Venus (who have not even reached their full potential yet). Remember not all the viewing audience is as knowledgable in tennis tactics as the majority of posters here.

There are plenty of good things to say about both venus and serenas games, there are some critical things to be said too. And after all it would sound pretty funny to hear a commentator go into detail about how venus should beat Daniela when all venus has to do is play her normal game!!

couldn't be said better:D

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:30 AM
Scorch, you really dont have to be a die hard V@S fan to know what I a talking about. Seles is a bad example. American media didn't accept her at first, not even when she dominated. They didn't see her as AMERICAN as she was born in Yugoslavia. I do agree with you when you stated that you may have missed the comments I speak of. ALot of the comments are made with undertones and overtones. Many people will not comprehend the meanings.:)

HingisLove
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM
Can't say anything about the Us commentators, the europeen ones can' stop saying nice thing about the sisters and rightly so.
The swedish commentator dissed Dani a lots of times.
She was hitting too close to the line and she was just lucky when those shots were called in. Notice that he said called in.

CC
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:06 PM
I thought she was very annoying. I know players question calls quite often, but Daniela wasn't correct on any of the calls she threw a mini fit about. It seems to me that she knew the match would be difficult and that she probably wasn't going to beat Venus so she tried to "influence" a few calls.

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:11 PM
What is shot spot ?

griffin
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:11 PM
I saw Dani play doubles with ASV this summer (Pilot Pen finals), and she whined about a dozen calls then too - this is not a tactic she dreamed up for playing Venus.

Can't speak to Evert's situation - I wasn't watching tennis back then, and I don't really pay attention to the ATP, but I do very much remember commentators trying to hype anyone with a chance of challenging Nav, Graf, Seles, and even Hingis - if Jennifer and Lindsay were spared it's because they never really dominated the Slams.

Looking for someone who can beat someone with a strangle-hold on the top, or trying to show that they have vulnerabilities is nothing new or unique.

RAA
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:14 PM
The best thing about this is how well Venus handles it. she just keeps her focus and keeps blasting away. she just doesn't get rattled about stuff like that. its great to see. many players could learn from her.

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:16 PM
EVERY player dispute line calls, sometimes they're right sometimes they're wrong. And even some players like Cappy or Arantxa (and according Venus, Serena too) really cheat on it and talk crap.

Uh, tell me the last time you saw Venus disputing a line call... Since her loud outburst at Wimby '99 (¼f against Novotna) , she has been immaculate:p

griffin
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:25 PM
Infinity - Pilot Pen 2003.

She was very calm about it, and I certainly don't consider her "whiny" by any stretch of the imagination, but she will question bad calls. Venus is many wonderful things, but "immaculate"? Lets not get silly about it.

aura of daniela
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:38 PM
Speaking of complaining and whinging, there seems to be a lot of that going on in here as usual.

Can't you guys just enjoy the fact the Venus won a tough match without having to totally bring down Daniela in the process.

I admit that Daniela seems to get down on herself a little too much, even after missing tough shots but that is just the way she is.
Would you prefer Daniela rant and rave about calls, or just do what she does?
I think the amount that she questioned calls today proved how much she truly values any chance of defeating Venus at the moment.

I haven't watched the match on tape as of yet, but based on what I watched live today, both girls hit the ball well, but Venus overpower Daniela and played the bug points much better.
If Daniela continues to have chances against her as she did today, she will get a win eventually.
As Daniela said today, it took one of Venus' best efforts to beat her today, so that leaves some hope for the future.

Finally, commentators want the tour to be tight and unpredictable, thats why their looking for holes in the Williams' sisters games, they do it to all sporting teams and players..........face the facts, Underdogs Rule guys!!!

Simon

CC
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:40 PM
Shot Spot is a computerized replay system that ESPN uses.

If Daniela acts like that a lot in her matches then maybe she is a cheater. Why not just focus on playing the game and stop looking for ways to get a easy point by way of influencing.?

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:41 PM
Infinity - Pilot Pen 2003.

It's January 2003 now Dear <evil grin> Hmm I better go check my 2002 tapes... yes she is immaculate :p

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:43 PM
As Daniela said today, it took one of Venus' best efforts to beat her today, so that leaves some hope for the future.

Daniela needs to check the stats:eek:

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks, CC. Then I know that system (I only wasn't aware of the name).

Frankly, I have a lot of doubt about this system. I think it's faked. :o

Really, once they showed a replay of a shot, but the ball was moving in the completely wrong direction. It looked like they used a prepared clip.

I like super-slowmotion a lot more.

G_Slammed
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:16 PM
It's time Daniela be quite.

She said something about being "ready" for Venus before the match, and now she says it took one of Venus' best efforts to beat her? No it didn't. Had Daniela brought more to the court than her so-called Audrey Hepburn elegance maybe then she could claim such a thing. Somehow though, I don't think it would have really mattered.

BK4ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM
Dani is just trying to make herself feel better, you can't be mad at her for that.

Did you see her and Vee's exchange at the net?

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:39 PM
To be fair, I believe it was Mary who commented on how Daniela was milking the calls....ie making faces in hopes the umpire would overrule. Was it me or did it appear they didn't show most of the overrules on the shot spot.

Martian KC
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
Sheesh, Why don't these fools COMMENTATE the match instead of taking about how their opponents can beat VENUS OR SERENA?

SHUT UP BIASED FOOLS AND "COMMENTATE". We need Martina and Billie.. Please.

Yes, it's another conspiracy towards the BLACK tennis players.