PDA

View Full Version : Venus Wins Despite Roudy Aussie Crowd!!!

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:14 AM
MELBOURNE, Australia, Jan. 21 — Venus Williams wasn’t fazed a bit when spectators loudly called some of her shots out. Williams responded with a burst of winners midway through the first set that helped carry her to a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Daniela Hantuchova on Tuesday and into the Australian Open semifinals.

“I WAS FORTUNATE TO get through,” Williams said. “I don’t think Daniela played as well as she wanted to today.”
Williams is one victory away from a potential fourth consecutive Grand Slam tournament final against younger sister Serena, who beat her for three major titles last year.
Serena plays her quarterfinal Wednesday against Meghann Shaughnessy.
In the fifth game, spectators yelled that Venus Williams’ previous shot had been out when she won a point with a volley. On the next point, a roar of “out” came from many in the crowd on Williams’ forehand. There was no call from the line judge, but she missed the next shot.
After she lost the game for 2-3 on an out call that was loudly applauded, Williams came back to win her serve at love and broke for 4-3.

“In the middle of a point when the crowd starts to be noisy, it’s best just to focus on your shot and not to worry if the ball was really in or out,” Williams said. “I’d like to think they were in.”
She had some shaky moments later, but broke three times in the second set, setting up match point with a backhand crosscourt passing shot on the run and winning when Hantuchova sent a backhand long.
She also served six aces at speeds of up to 125 mph, shown as 201 kilometers an hour on the board.
“I don’t know if I served well, but did everyone see the 201?” she asked later. “I was surprised when I saw that speed. I got a bit distracted but I got my focus back.”
Since hitting the fastest recorded serve in women’s tennis, 127 mph in 1998, Williams said she had been concentrating more on placement, hitting her fastest serves when she hasn’t been trying.
Now, she said, “I’m going to start trying to see if I can serve even bigger than the record.”
Hantuchova, a 19-year-old Slovakian seeded seventh, came close to beating Williams at last year’s Australian Open, but now has a 0-4 record against her.

Hantuchova had a chance to even the first set at 5-all when Williams, serving at 40-15, netted forehands on the next three points. But with Williams helpless at the net, Hantuchova hit a lob long. She had three errors on the next four points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This just goes to show how really focussed and unphased Venus is by all the happenings around her...a true Champion :worship: :bounce: :hearts:. The behaviour of some people in the stands has been really poor at this Aussie Open...but that isn't going to stop Vee or Rena one bit :bounce: :devil: :fiery:.

Jan 21st, 2003, 05:16 AM
I didn't see the match, but Australian crowds (Melbourne crowds in particular) are usually more accurate with line calls than umpires/linespeople

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by untitled2284
I didn't see the match, but Australian crowds (Melbourne crowds in particular) are usually more accurate with line calls than umpires/linespeople

I'm sure we'll see when they show the repeat on ESPN with the shot spot.

chings
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:24 AM
Where in and during tennis game crowd would call for balls in or
out. They are just bunch of racist bastards.

Jan 21st, 2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by chings
Where in and during tennis game crowd would call for balls in or
out. They are just bunch of racist bastards.

What the fuck are you talking about? Venus and Serena are both well liked here

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:32 AM
It seems that crowd was HOPING,PLEADING and TRYING to get Dani to win. Wanting some GWH to win it in their country.

Poor crowd they *see* it with their devilish hearts don't they?

When people get like that, it only makes the opponent more alert and focused. Venus you did great kid.

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:33 AM
I don't believe that they are well liked in OZ.

Just my opinion on that.. :)

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:33 AM
Aussie crowds are partisan. And they have there share of assholes. But one thing I've noticed is that they give HEARTY applause to the winner, even if they were backing the loser. And I very much doubt the crowds are usually more correct than the officials. Linespeople take a lot of shit, get an unbelievebale percentage of calls right, and absolutel no credit.

And as both Venus and Serena have pointed out, over virtuallythere entire careers, they've never HAD the crowd backing them, so it's not something new. Even if the crowd goes berserk for Kim tomorrow, it won't be anything compared to Indioan Wells.

chings - You're trying to bait people. Take it from a pro, that was weak.

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:34 AM
I love the fact that Vee responds loudly on the court when she is rooted against... She proves that she is a champion everytime :)

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:36 AM
Yeah, I was surprised by the crowd support for El Alyenoi, you could tell the crowd was for Hewitt, but they did respect the other guy.........

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:36 AM
Yeah what would you know Dawn Marie? I've lived here all my life, more years than I care to think about. Venus and Serena are very popular here and always have been.

However, Aussie crowds inevitably root for the underdog unless the overdog is someone very popular. Even Lleyton experiences this.

Jan 21st, 2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by jouissant
Yeah what would you know Dawn Marie? I've lived here all my life, more years than I care to think about. Venus and Serena are very popular here and always have been.

However, Aussie crowds inevitably root for the underdog unless the overdog is someone very popular. Even Lleyton experiences this.

As a Melbournian, I couldn't agree more

BK4ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:42 AM
It doesnt really matter what the crowd does because Vee and Rena are immune to it all. I'm sure there were people in the crowd who had ulterior motives and some who didnt. It doesnt matter why they did it, they were wrong.

I saw the lleyton v. younes match last night and the crowd was very fair. You could tell that they were sad for Lleyton, but they had to applaud the great play of Younes.

kiwifan
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:54 AM
Actually the Australian crowds were blatantly anti-American throughout the Olympics regardless of whether the Americans were underdogs or favorites.

Aussie's are a little sport crazed and just as "uncharitable" shall we say, as any other national crowd.

I learned some interesting terminology for Brits and Irishmen while I was in Aussie for the Lions tour two summers ago. So let's not kid ourselves about sportsmanship.

That said, I like Australia, especially Sydney - let's just not pretend that they are somehow superior sports fans.

They can give NYers a run for their money in rudeness.

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:03 AM
Aussies do have a reputation for being the "rednecks" of the bottom of the world. :)

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:10 AM
Wow, great I am glad they like V@S then. Whooo hooooooo:)

Lisbeth
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:11 AM
The Olympics? Some Americans maybe - not Marion Jones who beat Cathy Freeman or Misty Hyman who beat Susie O'Neill. They both wrote to the paper expressing thanks and surprise that they'd been trated so well by crowds despite beating popular Aussie faves. The only "booing" I saw in 2 weeks out there was the women's water polo team who tried to make 3 official protests in the first 5 minutes after losing to the Aussie girls in the final and then were all in great sobs of tears while collecting their silver medals. Actually it was their coaches fault but gee I wonder why the crowd didn't cheer them? Of course I wasn't at every event so I could be wrong.

I heard one American lady at the athletics claim that the crowd was cheering that an american lost, but actually they were cheering that a greek won - for the first time in a track event, I believe.

But of course Australians aren't perfect by any means. Aussie-Pom-Kiwi mutual bashing during sporting events is an age-old tradition as you know (but they do all have a beer afterwards). It goes both ways - I once saw a 10 yr old in tears after being called a convict by the parent of a NZ school team member during a macth! Some Australians are just downright uncouth and a few (but by no means most) are probably just outright racist or anti-American or just plain rude. What we generally do manage as a crowd though is to always clap winners, hang around for awards ceremonies and try to make visiting sportspeople feel welcome, off the field at the very least. How many of them have commented on this at this tournament alone - lots! I think everyone in all countries should do these things but plenty don't.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:18 AM
God bless the intelligent, negative opinions from people who have never been to Australia.

There are assholes everywhere you go, no matter how nice the crowd as a whole is. I would hope that people above the age of 2 have learned this already.

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:21 AM
well they just showed those two calls were absolutely correct and the crowd and Daniela were completely wrong.

not that it means anything other than crowds aren't usually right.

Lisbeth
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:24 AM
I should have added, crowds calling "out" irritates me anyway. I hadn't seen it before Sydney and it was annoying, even though the linespeople were not very good at times.

kiwifan
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:01 AM
yes, the lovely Brits taught me the "Ball and Chain" song, so they aren't exactly saints either. As you mentioned, the wonderful thing about the rugby world is that after the "ethnic" bullets have all been shot, smiles and beer follow. Well other than with Austin Healy and the Wallabies...

WTAworld is not likely to follow that lead.

Especially with all these Canadian agitators floating around.

Go Venus!!! Go Serena!!!

Lisbeth
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:41 AM
All agreed, and LOL at Austin Healy etc.

When did Canadians stop playing proper colonial sports like cricket and rugby anyway?

Informative
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:55 AM
Go Venus!! Don't worry about a thing. Despite the crowds as you well know it's "all up to you." In the immortal words of Al Davis, "Just win, baby!"