3-7
4-8

2-3 (great SF!)
1-4 (great SF!)

1-2 (great F!)

W- 2 !!!

Darkheart
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:51 AM
They are "official" according to the commitments and rankings.

They are not "official" until the draw comes out.

ghosts
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:12 AM
I can't believe that Capriati & Seles will play !!!

Darkheart
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:26 PM
They use the rankings right after Sydney. Aus. Open points don't count.

Monica_Rules
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:45 PM
Yeah so Monica will be #2 if she plays and is healthy!

I hope she is and can win this title!

debs06
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:48 PM
is this for tokyo

england_rules
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:01 AM
Why is this draw so weak compared to other tier 1's?

CJ07
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:32 AM
they have monica, Capriati and Davenport, how is that weak?

josemanuel
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:59 AM
The draw is weak because the best players arenīt used to play a week after a Grand Slam. Itīs not common to have a Tier 1 or an important tournament just after a Slam. All the ones who need points go. Thatīs the case of Capriati, Dokic, Davenport and Seles.

Lindsayfan
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:32 AM
u have seles,capriati and davenport and u think this draw is weak?!what makes strong a draw?just the williamses?!or the belgian babes who didnt win a slam yet? :rolleyes:

auntie janie
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:38 AM
The field here usually is weak for a Tier 1. Not this year, though.

King Aaron
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:55 PM
Jelena at 3 and Anna at 8 :D

I agree it's not weak.

disposablehero
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:11 PM
The field is weak because:

1. The Williams sisters traditionally do not play here
2. Kim Clijsters has too heavy an Australian schedule to play another week
3. Martina Hingis is currently off the tour injured
4. The name "Lindsay Davenport" does not have the same gravity it did 3 years ago

vs1
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:04 PM
This is a Tier 1?! It seems more like a Tier 2 event. Oh well.

josemanuel
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:52 PM
I agree with you disposablehero.
The draw is weak.

tyk101
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:32 PM
it's not week.. monica has 9 slams, Jenny has 3, Davenport has 3

samhatz
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:26 AM
slams count for nothing...it's current form which counts - hence this is a weak draw without a top 5 contender .... capriati is 6, davenport is 10, dokic is 8 and seles is 9

Simon
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:56 PM
Of course, it depends on how you choose to define "weak". To me it's a fascinating line-up whatever way you look at it.

However, if you consider the top players, Tier I tournaments generally attract 5 or more Top Ten players. In fact, the only Tier I tournament last year to attract less than 5 Top Ten players was this very tournament - when there were just three Top Ten entrants (Hingis - 4, Dokic - 9, Seles - 10). So it IS reasonable to argue that the field is not as strong as other Tier Is.

But if you're disappointed with the field, at least it does seem to be stronger than last year's.

Lindsayfan
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:41 PM
fans of players who dont play,say it's weak.fans of players who play,say it's good...it's the same old question! :rolleyes:

btw what tier 1 had a better field apart from indian wells and miami?!all others have fields like this,look at zurich,moscow,montreal etc...

Simon
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Lindsayfan
fans of players who dont play,say it's weak.fans of players who play,say it's good...

Oh, absolutely! But ...

Originally posted by Lindsayfan
btw what tier 1 had a better field apart from indian wells and miami?!all others have fields like this,look at zurich,moscow,montreal etc...

ZURICH
3 - Capriati
4 - Mauresmo
5 - Clijsters
6 - Dokic
8 - Henin
9 - Hantuchova
10 - Davenport

MOSCOW
2 - V Williams
5 - Dokic
7 - Mauresmo
8 - Davenport
10 - Hingis

MONTREAL
3 - Capriati
5 - Dokic
6 - Henin
7 - Clijsters
8 - Hingis
10 - Mauresmo

tennisIlove09
Jan 24th, 2003, 12:05 AM
I think it's pretty good draw. The semis almost seem a shoo-in with the top 4 seeds, although Dokic could be upset.

Rubin/Dokic quarter.

Maleeva will be a tough customer, she's back indoors

Experimentee
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:53 PM
The draw is weak. This tournament always has been weak for a Tier I. Especially now Capriati is gone. And Seles may be in doubt too. If her ankle is still bothering her Dokic may be the #1 seed in a Tier I!

vancouverite
Jan 24th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Nope, apparently Seles and Davenport will play (though Lindsay will be seeded above Monica, according to the tournament site...not sure why, though:( ).

Definitions of 'weak' notwhithstanding, I'm looking forward to seeing Seles in the final (and winning it, God willing;) )...!

gentenaire
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Can't the WTA force one of the top 3 players to play here? It's a Tier I for goodness sake, the tournament organisers should get the guarantee that they'll have top players coming. Monica and Lindsay are top players, but Monica's ranked only 9th right now!

A Tier 1 with the number 1 seed ranked 9th in the world :eek:

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Experimentee
The draw is weak. This tournament always has been weak for a Tier I. Especially now Capriati is gone. And Seles may be in doubt too. If her ankle is still bothering her Dokic may be the #1 seed in a Tier I!

I don't think this tournament has always been weak.. that s totally not true. it s just last year n this year as some players are so damn irresponsible n take this tourny lightly even though lot of money n points are at stake. some players withdraw just because they are in a "bad mood". that s so unprofessional. they dont give a damn about the ppl who have worked hard to make the event successful... think they shouldnt have made their entry in the first place if they were not sure if they were playing here. it s just so annoying so many top players have made last minute withdrawal from tournies in japan.. i know the travelling to here all the way from their countries isnt easy but show some respect to the ppl working for the event n paying damn heaps of money for the tickets.. I always think Monica is very professional n no wonder she gets so much respect from everyone. as for capriati, she acts as if she were a 5 year old kid. she just actns on her mood.. a good examle came a year n a half ago when she withdrew from a few events in asia n europe. she skipped those tournies due to the security councern as a result of the sept 11 attacks.. but you know what she did after that? she played the year end championships in germany n lost early.. the u.s. was supposed to play the fed cup ties but u know what happened.... so selfish...

Seles1
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:12 PM
I think the tournament got the seeds mixed up. How could they have had Kournikova as the 5 seed when she is ranked 35 and Maleeva 9 when she is ranked 14?

GoGoMaggie
Jan 24th, 2003, 02:14 PM
in the past this tourny attracted more than 7 top 10 players. n seems a lot of ppl here want to downsize it to tire II... im sick of players' last minute withdrawal. cant WTA fine those players? i dont believe in injury as every player always plays with injuires here n there. n Anna? what the heck... dont act on your mood!!!

Darkheart
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Updated.

Jen is out. Dementieva gets #8 seed.

ghosts
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:15 AM
I wanted Maggie as #4 seed... Why didn't Monica withdrew?

mboyle
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:22 AM
And this is supposed to be a Tier 1? OMG. This SUCKS!

LittleTennisFan
Jan 25th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Lindsay is playing so I'm happy with that :bounce: