PDA

View Full Version : Do you think monica will be competing in the 2004 olympics?(all fans invited in)

selesadmirer
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:09 AM
I know she said she would like to play another 2 years so i don't know what to think..Will she be in the olympics?..will she qualify...?...I know her goal would to win the gold medal so i hope she competes...What is your opinion.

disposablehero
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:16 AM
My opinion is that she will be one of the three highest ranked American players, provided she is able to enter enough tournaments. And yes, she will play. It apparently means a lot to her.

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:17 AM
sa, usa only picks the top 4(?) for singles play and Venus and Serena will probably get to play doubles.

Top Americans:

if i am correct:

1 serena
2 venus
3 jennifer
4 lindsay

so monica needs to get to top 4 ??? is that correct?

selesadmirer
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by disposablehero
My opinion is that she will be one of the three highest ranked American players, provided she is able to enter enough tournaments. And yes, she will play. It apparently means a lot to her. I really hope she plays..It would be great to see her win the gold.

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:19 AM
your incorrect

Monica is ahead of Lindsay

and they pick who they want

Remember what happened in 2000? BJK picked the sisters over Raymond.

Monica would be #1 on the list

~RedRose~
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:20 AM
I think it would be great for Monica to win the Gold, it would be tough though, but I think Monica could do it ... it really depends how well she plays in when the time comes around.

Venus Forever
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:22 AM
I honestly don't think she would make the team.

Barring injury from Lindsay, Venus, Serena, and Jennifer, I just don't think Monica can do it.

I definitely hope she can though.

GO MONICA!!

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:24 AM
but I expect Lindsay to be higher than monica by then since lindsay's ranking is low due to surgery. also monica will not be #1 pick. i seriously doubt that.

Originally posted by mmcdonald
your incorrect

Monica is ahead of Lindsay

Monica would be #1 on the list

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:29 AM
What I meant was, BJK would put her on the team

Shes ALWAYS on the team

She supports Fed Cup more than any other player, just not when the Olympics roll around.
BJK would put her on there just for that, and for the fact it would be her last :sad:

Darkheart
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:31 AM
Venus already won gold so I don't think she will even play. She will give Serena an opportunity to win the gold.

Venus Forever
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Darkheart
Venus already won gold so I don't think she will even play. She will give Serena an opportunity to win the gold.

Nah, cause then Venus would have pulled out of Wimbledon and the US Open so Serena could win.

Venus will play if she qualifies.

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:35 AM
This is the team

1. Venus Williams (1)
2. Serena Williams (2)
3. Lindsay Davenport (4)
4. Monica Seles (5)

Doubles
Venus Williams
Serena Williams

Alt. Chanda Rubin

AnDyDog621
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:39 AM
Jennifer would probably not be on the team unless so was no 1 ranked player, doubt BJK will invite her over Williams sister, and also Lindsey and Monica has done lots of things for BJK and probably be on the team barring injury

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:53 AM

Not entirely accurate. 2000 was 'letter of the law'. What the rule said at the time was the three highest ranked singles players (Venus, Monica, Lindsay) and the captain gets to pick the fourth spot. That usually was the highest ranked doubles player. But BJK had wanted Serena all along, and since she was only 4th highest ranked American, BJK took her anyway, in the doubles spot. Which was not how it had been done the last three Olympics (Tennis only came back in '88).

Lisa Raymond screamed long and loud she'd been screwed. The arbitrator/judge determined that BJK had acted within the letter of the rules, though I believe he specifically stated she had violated the 'spirit' of them. So Serena remained on the team.

But no, they can't take 'whoever they want'. The top three singles players go. And there may have been a rule change about the fourth spot, owing to the controversy. But if Monica is one of the top three Americans, she'll go. And since she virtually doesn't play doubles, she won't get the fourth spot. Problem is, the Olympics are a year and a half from now. Will Monica be one of the top three Americans by then?

Lindsay, Jenn, Chanda, Alex and Meghann will all be taking runs at that spot, and I expect Lisa Raymond will hang on long enough to try for it as well. And Monica will be 31.

ys
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:09 AM
Special Olympics, maybe..

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:12 AM
yea i forgot Jennifer cursed out BJK so Monica will get Jennifer's spot.

LucasArg
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:14 AM
LOL ys.

It would be very nice to see Monica competing. A great moment:)

disposablehero
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by anton
yea i forgot Jennifer cursed out BJK so Monica will get Jennifer's spot.

Not if Jennifer:

a) apologizes

and

b) is actually ranked ahead of Monica at that time

I don't expect either of those things to happen. Choke-a-holic or not, Lindsay is the main competition. Forget the others. And both Williams being in the top 3 is a likelihood, not a certainty.

And Monica will only be 31 if they hold the Summer Olympics in December.

anton
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:48 AM
I dont think BJK wants Jennifer back on the team this year after her terrible behaviour last year. Plus how many tournaments has Jennifer won in 52 weeks? 0.

Scorch
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ys
Special Olympics, maybe..

Classy comment

AjdeNate!
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:25 PM
Monica has already said that she would love to represent the USA in 1 more Olympiad. She has this earmarked as a bookend to her career, I think. If she wants on the team, BJK will put her on the team. Opposed to all other USA top players, Monica has *always* made herself available to play all international ties, not just the final or the 'big matches' like some of the other more highly ranked players.

She'll play in Greece and I'll be there! :)

Spirit
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:36 PM
It's worth pointing out here that in order for a player to represent the US at the Olympics, she has to play on the Fed Cup team sometime during 2 of the 4 years preceding the Olympics.

If Venus and Serena want to be on the Olympic team, they will have to play Fed Cup some time this year and again some time next year, or they won't be eligible. They haven't played for the US since Sydney.

I think they will do this, as they've been supportive of BJK and Fed Cup in the past. As things look now, the Olympic team will probably be Williams-Williams-Davenport-Seles, and probably in that order.

I don't see JCap ever coming back, unless she undergoes a complete personality change.

selesadmirer
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:43 PM
This means a lot to monica and i really hope she is in it because you have to be in it to win it.

Katie
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:20 PM
Hope she competes at the 2004 Olympics!!!:)

BrianII
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:18 PM
I know Lisa and rennae are supposed to have split because of some oncourt/off court problems but I think the pairing of Lisa and Davenport has a lot to do with with having the Olympics in mind..I expect the wording for what constitutes a team to be changed slightly so it is like the mens where a seperate doubles team can be included, if that is so then Lisa /Davenport will be a lock for this postion whether davenport qualifies in singles or not.

ys
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:22 PM
Remember, that those playing Athens will affectively sacrifice US Open - because it would mean two weeks of clay just one week before US Open starts.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:28 PM
I think sacrifice is way too outrageous a word. Top players with that much experience can use the first week to get back into the groove of hard courts.

also by your reasoning everyone playing the olympics, not just the americans, will be affected by the surface change.

The elite of the sport will handle it much better imo.

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:52 PM
They have 'make themselves available' to play Fed Cup. They don't have to actually play. If Jenn makes herself available to play Fed Cup, BJK doesn't use her, and Jenn is one of the three highest ranking Americans, Jenn's on the Olympic team and there's nothing BJK can do about.

If Monica wants to play in the Olympics, she needs to be one of the three highest ranked players.

There is one other possible scenario. That is, venus doesn't want to compete against Serena for the Gold medal. In which case, if V & S are two of the top three, BJK can take the top three ranked singles players, pick Monica as #4, and Monica plays singles and Venus only doubles. Venus would have to agree to this but its not outside the realm of possibility.

But if Monica wants to controal her own destiny, she has to be one of the top three ranked Americans. BJK is cut-throat. It will be her intention to sweep the singles and win the doubles. She won't take Monica on sentiment. If that sort of thing moved her, Lisa Raymond would have been on the last Olympic team.

If you ask me to bet my last dollar on who's ranked higher 18 months from now, I'm taking Lindsay. She finished 2001 #1, and has thebetter GS record.

Joseosu19
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:53 PM
I think its too soon to judge who will be where come next year.

calabar
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:55 PM
If it is a foregone conclusion that the doubles team will be williams/williams (as I think it SHOULD) then why is it necessary to pick a fourth player to be on the team. Remember, its the top three that play for a medal in singles, and if two of those same player are also playing doubles, then what would be the purpose of bringing along a 4th player? Anyone

ttaM
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:02 PM
I heard Athens is going to be played on HC? I thought I heard this from one of the announcers during the US Open last year?

ys
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:35 PM
I think sacrifice is way too outrageous a word. Top players with that much experience can use the first week to get back into the groove of hard courts.

Remember that those who played in Sydney played unsuccessfull or little or none for the rest of the season, while ones who skipped Sydney capitalised on that in terms of rankings ( Hingis, first of all, who skipped Sydney and then had a clean sweep of indoor season, Kournikova, who also had a great fall season ).

Same here. You can play both, but chances of injury and not playing your best at both tournaments are quite high ( remember, it's two extra jetlags within one month ). While if you choose one of them and skip another, you might do really well, given that other won't be that well prepared.

Of course, everyone will be affected. But I would guess, that most of players from Europe and South America, as ones that grew up on clay, will choose Olympics as more important. American players will probably prefer US Open. Low ranked players could also prefer US Open, because of money. But I really think that anyone who'd opt to play both events in serious way will likely to has less chances at US Open , especially against those who don't play Olympics. And it will be very tempting to skip Olympics.

arn
Jan 21st, 2003, 08:41 PM
I don't think a lot of top-players will be here, and certainly not Lindsay; it's on clay so close in time to the USO and right in the american hardcourt season. I'm sure Lindsay will decide to play this events.

So IF Monica decides to go I think she has a good chance of being qualified for the American team.

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:06 PM
calabar - Why not? If one of your singles players gets hurt between when the team is chosen and the Olympoics, you still have three single players.

Betcha Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Monica, Jenn, Chanda, Alex, Meghann and Lisa all 'make themselves available' to play Fed Cup this year though.

Dado
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:11 PM
I hope she will play.

Havok
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:17 PM
how do u qualify to play tennis at the olympics????????? fill me in please:)

ktwtennis
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:24 PM
I think that Monica should get the props...Perhaps, BJK can pull some strings for a very loyal Monica that would likely be on the verge of retirement...

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:47 PM
Hmm well I still think Monica would be on the team

and sides

Lindsay is no Garunteed #3 the way shes been chok.. playing

selesadmirer
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:22 AM
Hopefully monica gets first chance on the olympics bid.

Spirit
Jan 29th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
They have 'make themselves available' to play Fed Cup. They don't have to actually play. If Jenn makes herself available to play Fed Cup, BJK doesn't use her, and Jenn is one of the three highest ranking Americans, Jenn's on the Olympic team and there's nothing BJK can do about.
Hey, Volcana -- is Wertheim reading your posts? :)

From the latest (highly entertaining and somewhat informative) mailbag:

A potentially interesting storyline to follow: Women are eligible for the Olympics if they "avail themselves" for a certain number of Fed Cup ties. Note that they don't actually have to play. It's not hard to imagine someone whose surname starts with "C" and ends with "-apriati" saying, "Hey, I was available. They just never called me."

CJ07
Jan 29th, 2003, 09:03 PM
interesting