1st Serve % 51% 53%
Win % on 1st 55% 87%
Win % on 2nd 47% 37%

Fastest Serve 164 k/h 201 km/h
Ave 1st Speed 151 k/h 176 km/h
Ave 2nd Speed 143 k/h 131 km/h

Havok
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:51 AM
well Hantuchova left her game the same way she leaves the dinner table, about 1/4 of the way done. hah!

xan
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:52 AM
HUGE power from Venus on 1st serve. Usual duff 2nd.

Poor serving today from Dani

You can see that Dani was too passive, with few winners. The Eurosport commentators said she just stood in the same position helping Venus get in a groove on serve.

Venus B+ Impressive.
Daniela D Should have done better. Down on last year.

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:55 AM
Way to go Vee...always and forever :kiss: :hearts:.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:56 AM
Thanks Volcana. I just watched the match, so it's interesting looking at the stats.

As you highlight, a big difference was in winners. However, a number of Dani's unforced errors were only just out...and part of the story is simply that Venus covers the court and returns so well: there were shots from Daniela that would probably have been winners against almost anyone else. Daniela actually played more aggressively than the stats suggest.

The way Daniela played should leave her knowing she's not that far from being able to match it with the likes of Venus on equal terms. She can hold her head high and her fans can feel good about her future.

Venus played very well indeed, and was gracious in her on-court interview. I would have liked to have seen Daniela win, of course, so I'm a little sad, but congratulations to Venus for her skill, atheticism and sportsmanship.

tennisfan1972
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:00 AM
Venus was just too tough when it counted, She would often coem from 0-40 back to deuce on Dani's serve and also getting herself out of trouble as usual. Its clear that venus isnt 100% but she sure knows how to win a match even when playing a little below her best. Gotta admire her for that. daniela is going to trun outto be a great player as well once she learns to move better.

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:02 AM
Comgrats to VENUS!!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20030120/mdf190474.jpg

Cybelle Darkholme
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:03 AM
jouissant, what did venus say in her on court interview? Also who was the crowd for?

tennisfan1972
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:05 AM
She said that she was lucky to get through and that she knows that danie wasnt able to play as well as she would have liked. The crowd was overwhelmingly for daniela. but Venus would ace her or come up with awesome shots to quiet them. Venus in her interview said she loves melbourne, trying to win the crowd over for her next few matches i guess. very smart move

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:17 AM
Ah V

:)

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by tennisfan1972
She said that she was lucky to get through and that she knows that danie wasnt able to play as well as she would have liked. The crowd was overwhelmingly for daniela. but Venus would ace her or come up with awesome shots to quiet them. Venus in her interview said she loves melbourne, trying to win the crowd over for her next few matches i guess. very smart move

they always say nice things about the crowds and towns where tournaments are but they very rarely get supported by those crowds anyway. I remember there was one tournament in california and the crowd was overwhelming for jelena and I can't remember if it was Venus or Serena who won that match but they said in the acceptance speech that they wanted to thank the crowd for all their support. It was funny because you know she was being facetious. It was like I want to thank you for pumping me up to put a butt whopping on this girl. :)

TeeRexx
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:25 AM
Rocketta - How true you are. some people do not get the level of friendly sarcasm that VENUS & SERENA can slip out in the interviews and speeches.

Note how neither mentions Pete anymore after dissed them both a few years ago. I guess that is their way of saying "to hell with you, Pete." :)

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Rocketta - How true you are. some people do not get the level of friendly sarcasm that VENUS & SERENA can slip out in the interviews and speeches.

Note how neither mentions Pete anymore after dissed them both a few years ago. I guess that is their way of saying "to hell with you, Pete." :)

The best one has to be Serena's "McEnroe, who?" LOL

Dawn Marie
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:49 AM
So true, so true indeed. I agree completely Rocketta and TR.:)

Venus=CLASSY CHAMPION. Very gracious in defeat and when she wins. SO classy.:)

harloo
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:02 AM
Venus always go the extra mile to give the crowd and opponents respect, but that's all she gets is disrespect.

Venus you are a good example in turning the other cheek.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:27 AM
I have tickets for tonight but I had to watch this match on TV. I did see Venus and Serena play live against Navratilova and Kuznetsova the other day.

My impression from both matches is that the crowd was for the underdog(s) each time but respectful towards the sister(s), with the exception of maybe one lone voice in the stands today. The crowd gave a lot of applause to good play from the sister(s). Venus and Serena are popular here, but Aussies will always tend to root a lot for the underdog. Even Lleyton finds this.

How was Daniela disrespectful? There was nothing at all wrong with her demeanour. :confused:

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:30 AM
I don't think anyone was insinuating that daniela was disrespectful. It's just the fact that the crowd acted kinda sorely despite the fact that Venus is always trying to say nice things about her opponents and the Aussie people.

Informative
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:31 AM
Venus always has class, win or lose. Venus, Serena, Monica, Kim, and Justine are by far the most mature, gracious, and dignified players in the top ten of the WTA.