PDA

View Full Version : Venus def. Hantuchova 64 63

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:16 AM
Seems like a good match. Venus in to second Aussie semi!

SerenaSlam
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:18 AM
here are the stats!

Match Summary

Hantuchova(SVK) Williams(USA)

1st Serve % 31 of 61 = 51 % 30 of 57 = 53 %

Aces 1 6

Double Faults 2 5

Unforced Errors 21 32

Winning % on 1st Serve 17 of 31 = 55 % 26 of 30 = 87 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 14 of 30 = 47 % 10 of 27 = 37 %

Winners (Including Service) 9 29

Break Point Conversions 2 of 4 = 50 % 5 of 7 = 71 %

Net Approaches 4 of 8 = 50 % 11 of 14 = 79 %

Total Points Won 52 66

Fastest Serve 164 km/h 201 km/h

Average 1st Serve Speed 151 km/h 176 km/h

Average 2nd Serve Speed 143 km/h 131 km/h

Venus serve was on. she hit 1 at 199/kmh, then another at 201/kmh, she really wanted to be in the semis!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:19 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!!!! Congrats Venus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And nice try Dani!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vs1
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:23 AM
Congratulations Venus! I think she's going to step it up WAY high now!!!! Good luck in the semi's!

Venus Forever
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:26 AM
:bounce::worship::bounce::worship::bounce:

xan
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:47 AM
I don't think Dani played well today. Venus said as much after the match.

Venus had clearly prepared well and her fighting start bothered Daniela, who probably expected the usual stumbling start.

But Dani served really badly at 51% 1st serve, and she made SO many unforced errors . Maybe it was the weight of expectation, with a lot of people predicting an upset, but Daniela wasted an opportunity in this match.

As for Venus. Some blistering first serves - really awesome. But some shocking errors too.

Williams power still dominates.

england_rules
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:55 AM
Dani :(

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:00 AM
Go Venus!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

selesfan
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:02 AM
Congrats Venus!:) Dani.:sad:

Venus Forever
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by xan
I don't think Dani played well today. Venus said as much after the match.

Venus had clearly prepared well and her fighting start bothered Daniela, who probably expected the usual stumbling start.

But Dani served really badly at 51% 1st serve, and she made SO many unforced errors . Maybe it was the weight of expectation, with a lot of people predicting an upset, but Daniela wasted an opportunity in this match.

As for Venus. Some blistering first serves - really awesome. But some shocking errors too.

Williams power still dominates.

I don't think it was expectation or a prediction of an upset. She put that all on herself, she honestly believe she could win this time.

I think it's just Venus' game. Venus gets a lot of balls back. Daniela can't hit as many winners, plus she knows that Venus will be hitting more than her. She was just overwhelmed by Venus, not the pressure.

BK4ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:15 AM
Dani always tries to go for too much. But that is often the play for many who play Venus, they know they will have to hit three or four winners to win the point, so they end of going for too much too soon.

I can't wait to see the match.

tennischick
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:15 AM
Venus makes playing look like such a horrible, joyless chore. i hope she brings more excitement to her decorating business. i can't imagine her clients relating to such a poker-face. Lud!!!!! :o :o

Daniela didn't stand a chance today. they both could have played better but Venus is a champion bec she wins no matter how poorly she plays.

next up Agassi!!!!! :) :)

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by tennischick
Venus makes playing look like such a horrible, joyless chore. i hope she brings more excitement to her decorating business. i can't imagine her clients relating to such a poker-face. Lud!!!!! :o :o

Tsk tsk TC :o :p.

Venus is a champion bec she wins no matter how poorly she plays.

Woohoo...you got that right TC...Venus is Queen :worship: :worship: ;) .

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:26 AM
Venus is the Queen!!

Bow Serena! :p

tennischick
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by bonkers186
Tsk tsk TC :o :p.

Woohoo...you got that right TC...Venus is Queen :worship: :worship: ;) .

aye sweetie:
i know yuh happy tonite. but gimme Serena with she shrieking and she yelling and she cussing any day. i want to see some emotion dammit!!! :p :p

~RedRose~
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:40 AM
Congrats Vee!

1jackson2001
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:40 AM
Great job Vee, but let's cut down on some of those awful unforced errors and double faults. :(

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:47 AM
Venus makes playing look like such a horrible, joyless chore. i hope she brings more excitement to her decorating business. i can't imagine her clients relating to such a poker-face. Lud!!!!!

I like the pokerface. she's focused. it's not horrible and joyless. Should she bop around smirking like she's about to get her ass whipped? :rolleyes:

Daniela didn't stand a chance today. they both could have played better but Venus is a champion bec she wins no matter how poorly she plays.

Then by definition she isn't playing poorly!:o

http://members.fortunecity.com/missy977/1cbb96be0.jpg

Venus Forever
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Infiniti2001
I like the pokerface. she's focused. it's now horrible and joyless. Should she bop around smirking like she's about to get her ass whipped? :rolleyes:

You just can't please them. If she did this, they all be calling her cocky and arrogant.:rolleyes:

Just can't win.

tennischick
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:53 AM
:rolleyes: to you too Infiniti.

Venus always plays with a poker face. doesn't matter if she is winning or losing. that's just her style. my opinion that she makes tennis look horrible and joyless is not a new one. i've said it before. put me on ignore if you can't handle my POV.

just bec you win a match doesn't mean that you played well. Venus wins no matter how many errors she makes or how many puffy second serves she bends in. that is a mark of her greatness IMO. i don't have to like her to be able to appreciate this.

tennischick
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:54 AM
i like cocky and arrogant...;) ;)

Berlin_Calling
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:55 AM
WD Vee :D. But dont beat my Justine :p ;)

Chance
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:00 AM
It was a tense match,(well at least for me) a few breaks. Vee still needs to work on that second serve. Vee made Hantuchova look slow and I hate how Daniela tries to influence the linesman

GOOD JOB VEE!!!!!:D

WtaTour4Ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:14 AM
:rolleyes: to you too Infiniti.

Venus always plays with a poker face. doesn't matter if she is winning or losing. that's just her style. my opinion that she makes tennis look horrible and joyless is not a new one. i've said it before. put me on ignore if you can't handle my POV.

just bec you win a match doesn't mean that you played well. Venus wins no matter how many errors she makes or how many puffy second serves she bends in. that is a mark of her greatness IMO. i don't have to like her to be able to appreciate this.

So if Venus makes tennis look horrible what does Lindsey do for tennis in your opinion.

Just wondering! :-)

G_Slammed
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:32 AM
WtaTour4Ever... GOOD question. Talk about joyless.

Sharapower
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:40 AM
I'm disappointed because dani lost (how expectable :rolleyes: !) but also because the match was not a very good one (too many UE from both sides), though both players had some grat shots.

Dani gets close to Vee but she makes too many unforced errors and wrong tactical choices, particularly on crucial points. Venus served really great on the second set but had big problems when having to rally unfortunately Dani lost her serve at 3-all on a huge double fault and then Venus managed to keep the momentum.

Venus had a lot of trouble with her forehand and made her share of double faults too but they were balanced by terrific aces at 200 Kph !!

Had Dani played on her real level she would have had chances but I think the "Long-legs lady" is still scared by the Williamses and couldn't focus like she would do.

Hope Dani will progress in ranking so that she avoids playing a Williams until the semis on next grandslam. Dani deserves her place among the top 5

Elleke
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:44 AM
congrats venus :)

M2k
Jan 21st, 2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by mmcdonald
Venus is the Queen!!

Bow Serena! :p

lol CLASSIC!!!

Serena after the finals---> :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

:devil: :devil:

tennischick
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by WtaTour4Ever
...what does Lindsey do for tennis in your opinion...

i assume you meant Lindsay. and sometimes when i watch her, i wish i could reach thru the TV and shake her. hard. her body language is so flipping negative and that hang-dog, slumping shoulder thing has got to go. i think she needs some mental help. i don't enjoy watching her play when she gets into that negative space. it's like she's given up before the match is even over.

you did ask...:o :o

Mase
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:56 PM
Im sure everyone feels the same way but watching that match last night, I mean cmon now, Dani is way to small to hang with girls like the Williams, Clisters, etc. I mean she looked sad out there. She has great angles, and a great tennis mind but she needs to put some weight on her and power up to hang in there with them for the long term........

RAA
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:10 PM
CONGRATS VEnus!!
Great win. I was a bit worried about this because I think that Daniela has a lot of talent. but glad to see Venus in her first OZ OPEN semis ever!

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by RAA
CONGRATS VEnus!!
Great win. I was a bit worried about this because I think that Daniela has a lot of talent. but glad to see Venus in her first OZ OPEN semis ever!

:confused: :confused: :confused: First? I don't think so. Remember her 2001 melt-down against Martina in the semi-finals? Nah...this isn't her first. But this sure will be her first final when she gets there!!!:wavey: :fiery: :wavey:

RAA
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by bonkers186
:confused: :confused: :confused: First? I don't think so. Remember her 2001 melt-down against Martina in the semi-finals? Nah...this isn't her first. But this sure will be her first final when she gets there!!!:wavey: :fiery: :wavey:

yes, you are right. after I wrote that it didn't sound right to me. perhaps I should get my coffee before visiting these boards! :)

BK4ever
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:30 PM
Q. What was the difference compared to last year's match against Venus?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, I think it was a much higher level than last year. I think Venus came out today playing unbelievable. I think that's what she needed today to beat me. She did it. All the credit to the way she played today.
I mean, I had my chances today, too. You know, today she was just better.

Who is she kidding...I know about trying to make yourself feel better, but lets not be ridiculous now. Venus was far from great today.