PDA

View Full Version : Doctor: Hingis can play

Sonja
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:01 AM
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,5867455%255E23216,00.html

Doctor: Hingis can play
By Mark Stevens
21jan03

MARTINA HINGIS's surgeon says the Swiss superstar faces no medical hurdles in her comeback bid.

Amid speculation the former world No.1 will be forced to retire, Dr Heinz Buehlmann has made it clear that Hingis's ankle has healed perfectly.

But Buehlmann has conceded the mental battle to return to the tour could be much tougher.

"Martina can play again," Buehlmann told the Sonntags Blick newspaper.

"From a medical point of view, a comeback would be no problem, but Martina would have to grit her teeth and be prepared for some pain," he said.

"She has had this problem for four years, but the joints of the foot which was operated on is absolutely OK. I know Martina very well, and I know from the past that she can come back.

"But whether she wants that, I do not know."

Hingis, who is studying for a degree in English, professes to be happy away from the tour.

"It is totally possible that I won't play top tennis again, because my feet will not allow it," she said last week. "I do not want to completely exclude a return.

"It is possible if I can play pain-free tennis again, but that is not the case with my foot injury yet."

ktwtennis
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:07 AM
It sounds like she's sick of playing in pain--not such a bad thing really...I hope she doesn't retire!

wongqks
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:14 AM
I think she will take a year or so rest, until she is hungry for tennis again, I think it is a good thing I can see her returning in a year or two time

CC
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:20 AM
At least she's doing something worthwhile in the meantime. I too wish to see her return.

gorecki
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:04 AM
COME BACK MARTINA...come back... :sad:

Bright Red
Jan 21st, 2003, 02:45 AM
I think it depends on the outcome of her lawsuit in Italy. If she wins the $40 million then she'll probably continue to feel pain when she plays. OTOH, if she loses the lawsuit, I'm sure that pain'll go right away. ;)