PDA

View Full Version : European Figure Skating Championships`03, Malmo, Sweden .

Jakub
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:12 PM
This event just began :bounce:

GOOD LUCK: :D DOROTA ZAGÓRSKA & MARIUSZ SIUDEK :D

:bounce:

bluepastures
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:31 PM
It looks very strange not having the countries shown with the judges' marks, but that's the new rule.

There's a Brit in the mens event (no qualifying), and a Brit called Jenna McCorkhill qualified for the ladies. No British pairs.

What on earth are that French pair wearing? They look ready to audition for the circus!

Jakub
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Abitbol / Bernadis always surprise us with their costiums and choreography.

Dorota & Mariusz :sad::sad::sad: 2 big mistakes in short :sad:

Justin
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Volchkova and Sokolova won their qualifying groups. Slutskaya placed second; she was in Sokolova's group.

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Just been watching the pairs' short and I am so pleased for the French! Wish that German couple had done better though, but I'm hoping they'll produce even better stuff in the free.

bluepastures
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:45 PM
The commentators thought the Polish couple are in a better position than they deserved, considering they made several mistakes. They also felt the German pair deserved better marks than they got.

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Yeah, the Poles made a right hash of things and I felt so bad for them. :sad:

Jakub
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Yes me too :sad:
I have no idea what happened :fiery: I can understand the problems with jump but that spin was .....oh HORRIBLE :(

They both were working so hard, spending Christmas in Canada, and it whole went so wrong :sad: They are lucky to be 5th .

Dorota almost cried .

Only Petrova / Tikhonov skated with out mistake, good to see them ahead of Totmianina / Marinin.

I like the new way of judging, it looks more objective.

Nicoleke
Jan 21st, 2003, 04:49 PM
Go to Sarah Abitbol and Stéphane Bernadis :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

Go to Victoria Volchkova and Anne - Sophie Calvez :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

bluepastures
Jan 21st, 2003, 06:23 PM
Just watching the ladies short. Unfortunately, 16 year old British girl Jenna McCorkell had quite a heavy fall. Apart from that she skated well.

Princess Fiona
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:45 PM
I saw some of the pairs competition last night. :) I liked the German pair, not least because they danced to the Safri Duo song Played-A-Live (should've been 6.0's all the way for that!! ;)).

The French skaters always seem to be so stylish... :)

Master Lu
Jan 21st, 2003, 07:55 PM
Darn, I can't see a thing here. :(

They skated to Played-A-Live?! Wow, that must have been an energetic skate!

bluepastures
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know who's leading the Ladies event, after the short programme? I turned over half way through to watch Liverpool V Sheffield Utd.

Jakub
Jan 21st, 2003, 09:57 PM
1. Sokolova
2. Slutskaya
3. Hungarain gilr i think ( Sebestien ?? )
4. Liashenko but not sure .

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:04 PM
Viktoria :sad: she blew it again :sad: :sad:

Sokolova is 1st
Slutskaya

5th is Volchkova but only .6 behind 3rd
that all she can hope for :(
she messed up a triple flip badly :sad:

Princess Fiona
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:41 PM
Yes, Master Lu, it was a "little bit" of Played A Live (one of the best songs EVER!! :D) but it wasn't "that" energetic... ;)

The commentators on British Eurosport felt they should have got better marks (of course they should have got better marks for dancing to such a CLASSIC song!! ;)). Grrr... :fiery:

What's happened to Maria Butyrskaya? Has she retired/turned professional? Spaseeba for any help... :)

Jakub
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:25 PM
Maria Butyrskaya turned professional :)

Princess Fiona
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:59 PM
Maria B turned professional? Thanks, Jakub! :)

Nicoleke
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:35 PM
I was really surrised by the 16 years old italian figure skatter, she is " great ", go to her :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

Jakub
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:10 PM
:fiery: :fiery: Zagórska and Siudek`s free program should be judged on 2nd place :mad: :mad:

It`s not the first time the situation happen . :sad: Stupid 4th place :sad:

Congrats to Totmianina and Marinin, great free program :)

arn
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:02 PM
When do the men skate?? I would like to see a young belgian skate. He is said to be very good but I never saw him before

Libertango
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:09 PM
I thought Totmianina/Marnin were really great, they really deserved the gold tonight. Abitbol/Bernadis did really well also, considering all their problems. Liked the Poles too, and a big fan of Berankova/Dlabola, such a beautiful pair!!:)

Libertango
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:12 PM
Also good luck to:

Julia Sebestyen (WOW to her short programme!!:D)
Elena Liashenko (Beautiful as ever:))
Galina Maniachenko:)
Viktoria Volchkova
Elina Kettunen
Susanna Poykio

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:47 PM
Well done to the French this evening- they were great and their programme was my fave out of all of them cos it was definitely the most fun and with the most expression. I mean they didn't skate the best, but after all they have been through it was amazing. Hopefully Sarah can get her confidence back with the jumps soon!

Jakub
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:05 PM
The French used the same program as last year , Sarah landed only double toe loop , single axel and she touched ice with hand during triple loop .
In my opinion they didn`t deserved their 2nd place :mad:

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:20 PM
Yeah, but their programme was so strong in the presentation. The Russians made erros too and paid the price.

Jakub
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:17 PM
Zagórska / Siudek made only one error . Dorota landed single axel , and everything else was OK - all other jumps and very strong lifts.
Unfair their free program was judged 4th. :sad::sad:

salima
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Mary Cherry
I was really surrised by the 16 years old italian figure skatter, she is " great ", go to her :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

she is a relative of Isolde Costner, anyone who knows i what way?

Auauauuau to the hungarian Diana who got the big blue-red marks on her bum ( she should tie a pillow around there next time):sad:

fresh2flash
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:42 AM
The Poles are confused.

MALMO, Sweden, Jan 22 (Reuters) - Defending champions Tatyana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin retained their pairs title at the European figure skating championships on Wednesday. Their victory was overshadowed, however, by a judging glitch which gave two sets of results in error at the end of the competition and had the Polish team demanding an explanation. During the medal ceremony, computer screens inside the press centre, and seen by skaters and coaches, "erroneously" indicated that Poland's Dorota Zagorska and Mariusz Siudek had been placed third with France's Sarah Abitbol and Stephane Bernadis, who were awarded the silver medal, fourth. In a row that is sure to again embarrass the ISU following the judging fiasco at the Salt Lake Winter Olympics last year, Polish team leader Maria Zuchowicz has sought a written explanation as to why two different results were shown. "We would like to know why this happened," Zuchowicz told reporters. "It's not an official protest but the ISU must explain the problem."

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:44 AM
So who are the favourites in the Ladies?

Jakub
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Thanks fresh2flash

Interesting how will it ends.

Warrior
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:54 PM
I hope Sokolova will win.

Libertango
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:07 PM
I think either Sokolova or Slutskaya will win, but would love to see either Sebestyen or Liashenko on the podium, they both skated really well in the short and are beautiful to watch. Go Julia and Elena :D and also good luck to Maniachenko, Drei, kettunen and Poykio :)

arn
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by VivalaSeles
Van der Perren ... I think that's his name, arn ... correct my spelling if incorrect :) I think the men skate last ... Short programme on Friday and long programme on Saturday, but I'll check :D

ThanX, :) and yes, I think that's his name :) :)

Nicoleke
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Jakub
Zagórska / Siudek made only one error . Dorota landed single axel , and everything else was OK - all other jumps and very strong lifts.
Unfair their free program was judged 4th. :sad::sad:

The polish figure skatters are in the " right " place. This program and all their programs are totally really " booooooooooring " !!!!!

Congratulations to Sarah Abitbol and Stéphane Bernadis for this really " beautifull " silver medal :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

Jakub
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:44 PM
The polish figure skatters are in the " right " place. This program and all their programs are totally really " booooooooooring " !!!!!

It`s booooring that we had to see the same program as last year, and it contained 3 big mistakes .
Compared to Zagórka/ Siudek program Sarah Abitbol and Stéphane Bernadis technical notes should be much lower , that can be told by anyone who seen TV coverage. Their presentation should be judged higher (eventhough we saw this program last year :o) but technical differences between those 2 couples were bigger .

They juged 5-4 for Sarah Abitbol / Stéphane Bernadis and french figure skatters are very very lucky to be 2nd.

Nicoleke
Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:53 PM
It`s booooring that we had to see the same program as last year, and it contained 3 big mistakes .
Compared to Zagórka/ Siudek program Sarah Abitbol and Stéphane Bernadis technical notes should be much lower , that can be told by anyone who seen TV coverage. Their presentation should be judged higher (eventhough we saw this program last year :o) but technical differences between those 2 couples were bigger .

They juged 5-4 for Sarah Abitbol / Stéphane Bernadis and french figure skatters are very very lucky to be 2nd.

They kept the same program than last year, only because Sarah Abitbol was really seriously injuried !!!!!

They change their programs every years since longer,and it ' s not the case of the polish figure skatters. They always do the same things with differents music. Please be realist !!!!!

I agree that the french figure skatters were really very lucky to finished " second ", but, they deserved it !!!!!

Moreover, it ' s the " law " of figure skatting. I really think that it' s not a shame to see the polish figure skatters in the fourth place !!!!!

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:36 PM
Salima, Carolina Kostner is the cousin of Isolde Kostner. :)

Cilla
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:24 PM
Slutskya won the free and the gold! Poor Sokolova! Even Irina was surprised when she saw her marks despite the fall.

roots
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:29 PM
Did Sokolova skate clean? If so and combined with Irina's fall, Sokolova waz robbed!!!! I'm tired of seing Irina held up when she skates poorly, even her artistry has gone down this year, nothing like it used to be.

What about Victoria? What happened, she finished 8th????

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:39 PM
I think Sokolova had at least one two-footed landing, not sure about the rest of her programme. I'm really pleased for Irina though and it was great to see the two of the (Irina and Elena) getting along so well. :bounce:

Cilla
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:40 PM
Yep Sokolova had a clean prog. She did a triple triple combo while Slutskya fell on her triple triple combo. Irina got excellent techincal marks suprisingly 5.6-5.9 :eek: Despite the fall! Her face was like stunned when she saw all those 1's!

Cilla
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:42 PM
I must have missed the two footed landing Claire :o But I'm happy too that Irina won! :D I love her new hair colour as well!

Libertango
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:18 PM
It was close, I thought Sokolova should have won though, but well done to Irina, she's come back strong at the end of a bad season for her! REALLY pleased for Julia to get the bronze!!:D:D Her jumps are some of the best quality I have ever seen! Kostner and Drei-WOW! Sad for Liashenko, she had a real chance:( and also for Viktoria, who is obviously not 100% fit:sad:
Also, although they didn't have particularly good skates tonight, I think Maniachenko and especially Poykio are really beautiful skaters to watch. Good luck to everyone in Washington DC!!:)

Jakub
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:26 PM
They kept the same program than last year, only because Sarah Abitbol was really seriously injuried !!!!!

I know she was badly injured, but it`s not a reason when we talk about judging. Just remember what happened to Sale/Paletier at the Olympic. They get lower marks because of useing last year program .

They change their programs every years since longer,and it ' s not the case of the polish figure skatters. They always do the same things with differents music. Please be realist !!!!!

Dorota`s and Mariusz`s this year program is in other style as it as in previous years and the things they did are different.

I agree that the french figure skatters were really very lucky to finished " second ", but, they deserved it !!!!!

In my opinion they didn`t deserved it. they made TOO MANY ERRORS (compared to other couple), they used last year program.

I really think that it' s not a shame to see the polish figure skatters in the fourth place !!!!!

;) We have an oposite point of view.

Originally posted by fresh2flash

MALMO, Sweden, Jan 22 (Reuters) - Defending champions Tatyana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin retained their pairs title at the European figure skating championships on Wednesday. Their victory was overshadowed, however, by a judging glitch which gave two sets of results in error at the end of the competition and had the Polish team demanding an explanation. During the medal ceremony, computer screens inside the press centre, and seen by skaters and coaches, "erroneously" indicated that Poland's Dorota Zagorska and Mariusz Siudek had been placed third with France's Sarah Abitbol and Stephane Bernadis, who were awarded the silver medal, fourth. In a row that is sure to again embarrass the ISU following the judging fiasco at the Salt Lake Winter Olympics last year, Polish team leader Maria Zuchowicz has sought a written explanation as to why two different results were shown. "We would like to know why this happened," Zuchowicz told reporters. "It's not an official protest but the ISU must explain the problem."

This case is closed .
ISU refused to give any informations about judging . Looks like the new system is working perfect. :rolleyes:

Congrts to Slutskaya and Sokolova and Kostner :)
:sad: Wiktoria :(

Flappie
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:51 PM
YAY Irina won! :D

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:14 PM
Sokolova should have won :)
but i'm still :sad: about Viktoria :sad:

she shouldnt have gone, she's still not fit :(
she tried hard but she lacked the strength

Princess Fiona
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:18 PM
:wavey:

I saw some of the skating this evening - congrats to Irina! She looks like such a nice, smiley person... :) The Italian girl Carolina Kostner was just fantastic - wow! SHE is the name for the future... :)

I didn't see the pairs last night but I'm pleased Abitbol and Bernadis got a medal (I'm very sorry there were judging problems though).

Mary, my hair powered friend (or anyone) - have Vanessa Gusmeroli/Laetitia Hubert retired/turned professional? Merci for any help!!

I will have to start watching more figure skating and then I won't be asking these questions... :o ;)

Scotso
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:24 PM
Viktoria :sad:

Warrior
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:48 PM
Oh no! Poor Elena, she was so close to victory!:(

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Anyone watch the dance free? Congrats to Lobacheva and Averbukh, their programme was stunning. I really wasn't expecting it from them- I knew they were good but they really went up to another level this evening!

*Bubbles*
Jan 25th, 2003, 12:01 AM
I saw it and Lobacheva & Averbukh were amazing. They usually have very "quiet" programs but this was really something :D They so deserved to win!

oh and a delayed congrats to Irina! :hearts:
I think she deserved to win but then again - I'm biased ;)

Jakub
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Lobacheva & Averbukh were GREAT !! :)
I also like the German couple . They are soo creative :)

Nicoleke
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Lobacheva & Averbukh were GREAT !! :)
I also like the German couple . They are soo creative :)

This time, I totally agree with you :).

I really like very much the german couple too :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

Franziska, my haired power friend. Laetitia Hubert stop to skate last year. She didn' t turn " pro " I think. She work I think know. She is physiotherapist. Vanessa Gusméroli had a lot of financial problems. French federation is totally ruin, and can' t help her financially. She took a year off, but, she says that she ' ll try do be at her best next year.

Go to Brian Joubert and Stannick Jeannette :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

Cilla
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Brian Joubert :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: What a great performance :D 7 triples and a quad :D

he is 1st in the Free :D I think with about 4 or so Skaters to go. Plushenko hasn't gone yet....I hope he holds on! :bounce:

Cilla
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Wondeful skate by Plushenko :) 8 triples and 1 Quad. He takes 1st place and Joubert into 2nd.

All 5.8's and 5.9's for the technical & 2 6.0's for Presenatation.

Nicoleke
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Congratulations to Brian Joubert and Stannick Jeannette for their silver and bronze medals :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

Medals tables :

Gold Silver Bronze

Russia 4 1 2 = 7
France - 2 1 = 3
Bulgaria - 1 - = 1
Hungary - - 1 = 1

Congratulations to all these countries :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

Scotso
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:06 PM
:bounce: Brian :bounce:

:D :D :D :D :D

Congrats to Plushenko too :)

Scotso
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:09 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030125/capt.1043516857.europeans_mal117.jpg

:D

Josh
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Yay, Kevin ended just inside the top 10 like he wanted! :bounce:

http://www.jaysonsutcliffe.com/images/kvdp_awrd.jpg

Warrior
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Does anyone have pictures of ladies podium?

paul_masterton
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:36 PM
where did the british girl finish?

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Zhenya :D :D :)
Joubert was good :) but Zhenya was just awesome :D :)

can't wait for the Worlds :)

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 25th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Sounds like the men's was pretty amazing! Shame I missed it. The ice dance is my fave at the mo since Alexei is out, so I'm just pleased I got to see that! :D

Princess Fiona
Jan 25th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Franziska, my haired power friend. Laetitia Hubert stop to skate last year. She didn' t turn " pro " I think. She work I think know. She is physiotherapist. Vanessa Gusméroli had a lot of financial problems. French federation is totally ruin, and can' t help her financially. She took a year off, but, she says that she ' ll try do be at her best next year.

Thank you very much for the information! :worship: :)

(And congratulations to the French team on a great Championships! ;))

franzit
Jan 25th, 2003, 11:59 PM
i don't follow Figure skating so much, but, in this evening sports news, rai (pubblic italian tv) dedicated a short service (a couple of mins) to Caroline performance in Euros.
She looks like graceful :o and i'm really happy new Kostner is going to give to Italy new medals :)
Figure skating isn't so popular in Italy( Poli and Margaglio got the fame just after her success to World Champs...but after their retirement, they are already forgotten by common people
:( )
It's interesting to note she's the most young(15) and the tallest(165cm) in first 8 places there.
She's not the only promising baby skater of Italy....I guess we'll have a very competitive team for Turin 2006 :D

Jakub
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:04 PM
This time, I totally agree with you :).

:D

:kiss:

Luna_Angel_84
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Anyone else see the gala?